叁 - sān

Breezeblocks

"Cheer up baby, cheer up baby~" You were humming to the catchy song on the radio, doing some silly moves while driving towards the company. Despite being a nervous wreck on the inside you didn't want Minhyuk to see it. You absolutely had no idea what was going to happen but you were positive your dad had never taken a bad decision when it came to his business. Everyone in your family invested all they got in order to build a strong company and you didn't want to let everyone down. That's why you were always striving for perfection. 


"Aish can't you shut your mouth for one second. I'm trying to sleep." Your passenger groaned grumpily and shifted his body into a more comfortable position, keeping his eyes closed. You slowed down your car in front of the red traffic light and took a peek at him in silence, just the smooth sound of the engine being heard since you turned off the radio. Your mind couldn't even comprehend why he was so tired, after all he had never worried about a thing in his life and maybe he knew about how to manage his clubs but it just wasn't enough for you. 


Now that you were thinking more about it you didn't even know why you two were mean to each other. You had your differences, that was true, but who said you could not be friends? You decided to blame it on the opposite environments and type of people that surrounded you. And although you two tried to avoid one another you always ended at the same table at least once a week, be it an official dinner or just hanging out with friends - another thing both of you had in common. You and Minhyuk were running in relatively the same friend circle and everyone was getting along except you and him.


You started driving again, car next to car along the busy streets of Seoul. You didn't expect that it would take you so long but you had the unfortunate idea of leaving right before the working hours ended so the result was a traffic jam. But hey, at least Minhyuk was getting his desired sleep so you could count it as extra brownie points for you. If there was someone who had to be the bigger person and try to make an effort in order you could talk like two adults it had to be you.


Finally you got on front of the company and stopped the car turning your head to Minhyuk. "Yah sleeping beauty, time to go." You said harshly and waited for him to wake up but all you got in return was incoherent mumbling. "You are so annoying." A scoff was let out and you touched his arm shaking him but suddenly he grabbed your arm and pulled you towards him, your faces inches apart.


"Well hello sweet cheeks. Trying to admire the master piece from closer?" He opened his eyes lazily and a smirk appeared on his face.


"Actually you have a pimple here." You laughed and flicked his forehead with power, going back to your seat.


"Aish are you crazy or what?" He rubbed the red spot and glared at you, checking himself in the mirror. "I make money with this face you know?"


"As if!" You rolled your eyes and got out of the car waiting for the boy. "You just lure people or should I say petty girls that actually think they have a chance with you. I'm disgusted." You spat out while walking with Minhyuk towards your father's office.


"I give them a chance, for one night." He defended himself and shrugged. "You say it as if it would be a crime. I don't force them, they want to come with me."


"It's not morally correct. You take advantage of them." You reason with him and greet your secretary on the way.


"Money it's power sweet cheeks, I can do whatever I please." He slides his hands inside of his pockets and looks around whistling.


You were getting closer and closer and you felt your heart beating faster that it could have jumped through your chest. You really didn't know what to you expect but with a last glance at Minhyuk you knocked at the wooden door and entered the office followed by him.


"Hello father." You greeted seriously and bowed to him. "Hello Mrs. Lee." You turned and dipped your head again. Minhyuk mimicked your actions and came next to you.


"Have a seat kids." Your dad said and smiled towards Mrs. Lee who was in the same happy mood. "I suppose you are wondering why we have called you here together." He clasped his hands and looked at both of you, pacing around the room. You and Minhyuk both looked confused but remained silent in order to find out more.


"I won't waste your precious time and get straight to the point." Minhyuk's mother spoke and approached you two. "As you know, our families have a very good reputation and both are very powerful on the market right now. But..." She paused and gave Mr. Im a meaningful look. "We think that it could become better if we combined our forces. Together we will run the tourism market and have the upper hand all over our competitors." She explained slowly but steadily.


"So what you are saying is that we should make some sort of alliance?" Minhyuk concluded with a raised eyebrow and looked at you quickly for approval.


"Actually we are thinking about something better than that Minhyuk." Your father explained further and came behind Mrs. Lee. "We want to open in each one of our hotels a club of yours. You know how hotels in Dubai have restaurants, shops and clubs inside the hotel. That's what we want to achieve. We will never be just an ordinary hotel, we will actually be a hang out place for people."


At this point you were totally lost and in denial. You would have preferred to have KFC sell chicken nuggets inside of your hotels instead of those loud and filthy clubs. You were shocked but tried to hide it as well as you could. You wanted to trust your father with his decisions but right now you were questioning his way of thinking. And the fact that he accepted the offer so suddenly without asking your opinion made you feel betrayed in a strange way.


"Moreover," Minhyuk's mother added quickly, "we want to have all the spotlight on us so you two will become a lovely couple." She broke the news and you almost choked on your own spit, your eyes popping out of their sockets.


"What?!" You stood up in an instant not believing your ears and looking at your father for answers. On the other hand Minhyuk started laughing hysterically and wiped his tears.


"I must say eomma that was pretty hilarious. Never thought you had this funny side in you." He chuckled and tried to calm down but he was met with his mother's serious gaze.


"Sorry to disappoint you but this is not a joke my boy. I am not kidding when I say that you will become Nari's boyfriend." She crossed her arms over her chest and Minhyuk changed his expression in one of worry.


"And you agree with this dad?" You asked astonished and shook your head. "No. I cannot accept this." You spoke firmly.


"I'm with her." The boy backed you up and stood up as well. "We have different lives and you can't expect us to be a lovey dovey couple when we barely can speak to each other. It won't work." He argued more to fight for your cause.


"You don't need to worry about communication my dear. You'll have plenty of time to talk to Nari in your new flat that you will be sharing."


"Mrs. Lee with all the respect I have for you and my father I have just one question. Don't you think that you are rushing things? I mean we are associating, I suddenly am in a relationship and moving in a new flat in the same day? That's crazy." You confessed and sighed rubbing your temples.


"Nari you know very well that time doesn't wait for us. We have to move quick if we want to get things done. Think about your grandfather, me your whole family. Eveyone has sacrificed to make the company better. Now it's your turn to sacrifice." Your dad explained with his soft voice but to you it sounded harsher that ever.


"But appa..." You called out to see if he could change his mind.


"Don't stretch it Nari. It's settled." He gave you a warning look and you let your head down defeated, trying to accept the new deal.


"This is bull. I refuse to take part in such ridiculous plan or whatever." Minhyuk couldn't hold his anger and flipped out.


"That's enough!" Mrs. Lee shouted and slammed her palm against the table, making everyone in the room to jump in surprise. "Listen here young man, I will not allow you to ruin this business and all the things I prepared for you two. So you either do what I tell you or you can say goodbye to your clubs. Yes, you heard me right, I am capable of disowning you." She looked Minhyuk straight in the eyes with one finger pointed to him. "Have I made myself clear?"


"Y-yes." The young male nodded but looked away avoiding her eyes. He was beyond furious but he knew he couldn't convince his mother to let such a deal slip away.


"Perfect then. Aigoo you will make such a sweet couple." The woman suddenly came back to her gentle self and pinched your cheeks. All you could do was smile and nod although you were dying inside right now.


"I will give you the address of your new apartment. It's mandatory you will live in it together starting from this moment. You will find there everything you need, including clothes and money." Your dad handed you a small note indicating the place.


"And one more thing Minhyuk. I usually don't interfere in your private life but I'd want you to stop meeting with all those poor girls. I know what you do to them but I don't want to start hearing rumours that you are cheating on Nari in the first week." His mom smiled at you trying to comfort you a bit.


"We aren't even a real couple so you can't call it cheating." Minhyuk rolled his eyes and mumbled more under his breath.


"Kids I know this sounds crazy but just think about the exposure we will get. You will become the power couple of Korea. Newspapers and citizens won't stop talking about it." Mr. Lee gave you a final reason while looking at the both of you. "Now I think it's time to leave. And a little hint, paparazzi will already be waiting for you in front of your apartment building."


"You have been planning this in the smallest detail, haven't you? You two didn't even care about our opinions on this matter." You raised your voice and clenched your fists. Right now you were feeling a bunch of emotions but happiness wasn't one of them. The elders just starred at you smiling and didn't try to deny your accusations. It was clear as the day they were the masterminds and you and Minhyuk were the puppets.


"Let's go Nari, we don't have what to do here anyway." Minhyuk tried to calm you down and put a hand on your shoulder. You nodded slowly and left the office without even saying your goodbye's, feeling you could explode in any moment.

Back in your car you were starring out of the window coping with every piece of new information. Your eyes were getting teary just at the thought you had to fake a relationship for the sake of your family and company. They didn't even bother to care about your feelings, not even your father who you thought he loved you.


Next to you there was Minhyuk who had a whole different dilemma. The words of his mother really shocked him, especially the part of disowning him. All this time he believed his mother only cared about him and his well being. It turned out that he had been living a lie his entire life since his mother was so harsh to him all of a sudden.


"Look how we are gonna do." He spoke out to get your attention and you turned your head to face him, blinking away the tears. "We are great actors, we both know this. In the public we will be the sweetest couple they have ever seen so they won't start doubting our credibility. But behind closed doors you do your thing and I do mine. And by this I mean I will not stop seeing with girls just because of my mom."


"Seems fair. Just be sure you won't get caught and those girls keep their mouth shut." You agreed while starting the engine and heading towards your new home. "We must keep the façade in front of our friends too. Jooheon has a big mouth." You chuckled a bit.


"Don't you love it when we just get along?" Minhyuk grinned and poked your cheek.


"Don't touch me you weirdo. We made a deal." You scoffed and looked at him quickly. 


"Look at the good point. You have the privilege to touch me when others just dream about it." He wiggled his eyebrows making you snort. 


"Yeah sure it will be the greatest achievement in my entire existence." You mocked him and turned the steering wheel, entering the alley that lead to the building you would live in. As you got closer you started to notice a large group of people that were already waiting for the two of you.


"The press is here. I hope you know your role mister boyfriend." You mused and turned towards him with an apologetic look, stopping the car a few feet away from the reporters. "If we don't do this we are both screwed."


"It's okay Nari, we both know we can't escape this game our parents are playing. I promise I will be the best fake boyfriend." He gave you a sincere smile and left the car first to open the door for you. You stepped out timidly and grabbed his hand, interlocking your fingers so it gave the impression you were attached to each other. Not a second had passed that you were surrounded by flashing cameras and microphones, a bunch of questions already filling your ears.


"Please let us walk." Minhyuk went ahead of you made a path for you to follow still holding your hand.

You were just smiling at the cameras and stayed silent, gripping his hand tighter.


"How did your parents react?" A loud voice asked while pushing the microphone in front of your face.


"Are you planning to get married?" Another reporter said as he walked along with you.


"How is it like being together?"


"We will answer all your questions at the next event we will appear. Right now we are very tired and just want to enjoy ourselves. Please respect our privacy." Your so called boyfriend explained and put an arm around your shoulder guiding you in the building, the paparazzi still standing at the entrance and taking photos of you. You hurried into the elevator and a long sigh escaped your lips after the doors had closed.


"That was awful." You took your hand away from his and covered your face in disbelief. You felt like they were hunting you down just because they wanted a picture of you two.


"This is so messed up." Minhyuk ran his fingers through his hair. It was obvious he was tired after all that happened during the day but luckily for him you already arrived at the top of the building where your parents made sure to buy a penthouses for the both of you. At this point you were more slumping that walking but you managed to find the key and unlock the door.


"Thank God we are finally here. I can't wait to go to sleep." You mumbled and dragged your feet towards the big sofa, laying on it.


"At least this place isn't ugly." The boy said and plopped himself on the sofa but somehow sat on your legs.


"Yah! Get off me you brat." You shouted at him and threw a small cushion at him. "You are crushing my legs."


"But you are so comfortable Nari. Better than this sofa." He teased and hit you back with the pillow.


"Aish I swear I will kill you in your sleep and make it look like an accident." You threatened and moved your legs roughly escaping from the trap. "For this I won't make you dinner." You stuck your tongue out and left in the kitchen.


"Hey don't be that way, I don't wanna starve." He followed you and sat on the counter while watching you examine what was in the fridge. "I'm hungry!" He started shouting and swinging his legs like a child.


"Oh boy this is going to be a long night." You said and shook your head, thinking about what you got yourself into.

 


A/N: Hope you liked it ^^