[ Final ]

Failed Dinner

The weather was too cold for the winter-hating Siyeon. She cursed as she shivered in her puffy jacket while standing alone on the sidewalk under the freezing atmosphere. It was only a simple dinner, and yet she couldn’t understand why the guys wanted to eat at one of the most popular restaurants in the city without a reservation on a weekend. At least they could have been the ones waiting for a free table on the side of a street - anyone but her. Siyeon didn’t exactly agree with the idea of eating here but her opinions were drowned by her close friends, who happened to love doing as they pleased.

She looked at the small ticket she was holding in her hand; number 157 and the receptionist had only called up to 146. She shoved her hands in her pockets with a discrete groan (since she was in public) and wrapped her hands around the hot packs. She winced as she felt them losing heat, meaning that if she didn’t get seated soon she would most likely die from hypothermia, which she admitted was a little exaggerated. But, she was freezing nonetheless and it didn’t help that she was hungry, no, starving. She hadn’t eaten a single meal since last night and she regretting not grabbing at least an apple before heading out of her house this morning.

Siyeon looked at her surrounding and felt the urge to roll her eyes badly. There were couples, groups, and families everywhere she looked and yet she was alone. Although she was waiting with a bunch of other people, it was obvious that she was the loner here. She noticed how every face had a smile on it and she couldn’t help but wish her friends were here already.

The sky was getting darker by the minute and she felt herself getting more and more impatient. She was usually a laid-back type, who didn’t really care enough to think about time, but standing in the cold made her switch characteristics as she adopted one of her best friend’s impatient personality. She left her waiting space as she headed towards the receptionist and she noticed how the worker had the luxury of a mini heater by her legs behind the podium. Siyeon narrowed her eyes slightly as she caught the attention of the receptionist.

“Excuse me,” Siyeon started politely, “I was wondering how long the waiting time will be?”

The receptionist asked for her ticket number and Siyeon didn’t miss the annoyed look on the worker’s face. Siyeon didn’t feel bad though, since the woman was paid to stand here and have questions asked.

“You should be seated in approximately thirty minutes,” the receptionist replied after checking the guest book. “It’s getting late so quite a lot of customers are leaving.”

Siyeon nodded at the woman before muttering a quick thank you and headed back to her previous place on the sidewalk. She internally smirked at the improved attitude the receptionist gave her and she figured that the worker had most likely seen the look of disapproval on Siyeon’s face when she was at the podium.

Thirty minutes wasn’t a long time, but it wasn’t exactly a short time. Siyeon dug her phone out of her bag and unlocked it; she sighed when she saw the time. She had been waiting out in the sub-zero temperature for an hour and none of her friend had showed up. She decided that she’d call one of them to see what kept them so long. Pressing the number two on the dial pad, she raised the phone and placed it by her ears as she waited for the person on the other side to pick up. She bit her lips in frustration when she was redirected to voicemail. With a groan, she dialled the next person on her list. Thankfully, the call connected within seconds.

“Where the hell are you?” Siyeon asked as soon as the person picked up. “Do you know how long I’ve been waiting?”

The person she called chuckled. “I’m on my way but the traffic’s pretty bad. It’d be a miracle if I can get there in an hour.”

“Are you kidding me?” Siyeon asked. She clearly was not in the mood for any jokes. “What about the others?”

“How would I know?” the person questioned. “Knowing those two though, they won’t be there until the food comes to the table.”

“I’m going to kill someone if I have to keep waiting out here,” Siyeon said with gritted teeth. “It’s freaking freezing and I’m starving! Why the hell did you guys even pick this place?”

“The maknae wanted to try it no matter what. Apparently, one of his other friends ate there and boasted about how good the food was and blah blah blah and I’m pretty sure you can guess what happened next.”

“Well it looks like the maknae will be me from today onwards,” Siyeon declared darkly. “You could have at least called in for a reservation!”

“I didn’t plan this damn thing,” the person said defensively. “Leave it to those two for the stupid ideas and rubbish planning.”

Siyeon let out a sigh of frustration, followed by a couple of curse words under her breath. Her friend was able to hear her and snickered at the thought of their two troublemakers getting into serious trouble with the girl.

“I should have just ditched for a burger - this is ridiculous!” She leaned herself against the railing as she spoke into the phone. She kept an eye on the receptionist just in case she missed her calling out her number, which was highly unlikely since ten minutes have barely passed let alone thirty.

“You’ve been waiting for so long already; you’re not going to give up now.”

“I hate that you know me so well.”

The person chuckled, “I’m not the one who knows you the best, but thank you for the compliment anyway.”

Siyeon chose to ignore her friend’s comment. “When will you be here?”

“I’ll be there when you see me there, but for now get off the phone and call those two - maybe they’re close by now.”

“Fine,” Siyeon huffed before ending the call. She dialled two again on her dial pad and waited. With nothing to do, she tried to synchronise her breathing with the waiting tone and she was so absorbing with it that she was startled when the call was picked up.

“Before you verbally abuse me, I’m literally two minutes away.”

Siyeon pouted at the first part of the sentence, but decided to let it slip since she could hear the person breathing heavily as if they were rushing to get here.

“One minute- turn around, I see you!”

With the phone still in her hands, Siyeon turned her head and saw a familiar looking boy across the street. She disconnected the call as she watched the boy wave at her and signalling her to stay where she was until he crossed the road.

“As if I can go anywhere else,” Siyeon said to herself. She pocketed her phone in her jacket and set her eyes on the boy that was jogging to her. “Finally.”

“Hi,” the boy grinned. He came right next to her and leaned on the same railing as he tried to catch this breath. “How long have you waited?”

Siyeon glared at the boy but the latter only let out an amused laugh. “You guys told me to get here at seven and it’s past eight. How long do you think I’ve waited?”

The boy wrapped his arm around Siyeon’s shoulders and pulled her into him, purposely sharing some of his body warmth with the girl, since she did look a little pale from standing in the cold for so long.

“Get off me, Kim Jongin,” she warned in the stern voice. “I can’t believe you guys didn’t reserve a table, I mean, it’s the weekend!”

Jongin ignored her first comment and pulled her in even closer, to the point where he was able to place his chin on her shoulder. Siyeon struggled a little against him at first, but the warmth he was emitting was drawing her more into him than she wanted. She definitely was not one for PDA, but she mentally told herself that this was okay because she was indeed getting too cold.

“I’m sorry, but this wasn’t my idea-” Jongin started but was quickly cut off by Siyeon.

“Don’t even try to lie, Taemin told me everything,” she stated. “He said that Sehun wanted to try this place out because one of his friends ate here and talked about how good the food is so you two planned this dinner.”

Jongin held back a chuckle before opening his mouth. “And what did you say?”

“I said the maknae will be me from today onwards,” she told the boy with a victorious grin. “That noodle is so dead when he gets here.” At that, Jongin let out a wholehearted laugh. “Speaking of which, where is he?”

Jongin shrugged. “Beats me, he left the house before I did so I figured he got here first, but apparently not. Have you called him?”

“He can come here by himself for all I care. I’m not calling him.” Siyeon slumped against Jongin’s frame and rubbed her temples. “I swear he’s so going to die by my hands.”

“Relax, why are you so worked up? It’s not even our turn yet, he still has time to get here,” Jongin squeezed her shoulder comfortingly.

“I’m cold and I’m hungry, you know I turn into a monster when I’m hungry,” Siyeon whined as she stomped her feet on the ground.

“Well I guess you’re an ice monster now.”

“Not funny.”

“It is funny,” Jongin argued back. “Look at how adorable your face is!”

Siyeon made a sound as she pushed the boy off. “Go away!”

“You’re the one who needs my warmth, are you sure you want me to let go?” he asked teasingly, knowing full well what her answer would be.

Siyeon stayed quiet and stilled her body for a moment as she tried to think of a witty comeback, but the hunger was not helping her think so she opted to just keep zipped. Jongin snickered at her reaction and proceeded to move her so that she was leaning against his chest as he back-hugged her; that way, she’d feel warmer and cosier, plus Jongin loved hugging her like this since he could reach down and take her slim hands into his own and lace their fingers together.

A little over ten minutes later, Siyeon saw Taemin walking towards with a backpack slung over his shoulder. He looked rather tired and the girl guessed that the traffic had given him a bigger headache than it should have. Siyeon and Jongin stayed in their positions as Taemin stopped in front of them.

“What a way to greet your single best friend,” Taemin rolled his eyes at the couple. “Have some consideration please?”

“You wouldn’t be single if you didn’t break up with that girl last week,” Jongin smirked, knowing that his best friend was going to hate this conversation.

“She wasn’t the right one for me,” Taemin said lifelessly, though he wasn’t upset about the break-up, he was getting bored of his friends’ comments.

“And how many times have you said that before?” Siyeon grinned. “Do you know how many girl friends I’ve lost because you broke up with them?”

“I’m so sorry that your girl friends were so bad quality,” Taemin said with feign sadness that didn’t quite reach his mischievous eyes. “Maybe next time I can introduce some better friends to you.”

“Back off, she has enough,” Jongin elbowed Taemin’s side playfully and the latter yelped in response.

“True, I’ve got enough on my hands with you three; I don’t have time for others.” Siyeon nodded with a sigh. “Though it would be nice to be away from troublemakers from time to time.”

Before Jongin could say something, Taemin groaned. “Can the two of you keep the flirting to yourselves, please.”

Siyeon turned around and shared a look with Jongin before they burst out laughing. Taemin could only wish Sehun was there to suffer with him.

“Number 157!” the receptionist called from the podium. “Number 157!”

Siyeon jumped to her feet and rushed to the front with her ticket in hand - she didn’t want to risk the next number being called because she didn't’ show up on time. Jongin and Taemin watched the only girl in their group as she acted differently from normal. The two best friends followed Siyeon and both mentally made a note to not let Siyeon go hungry again.

The three of them followed the receptionist into the restaurant towards their table. Taemin wondered if they should call Sehun to see where he was and why he wasn’t here yet, but Siyeon told him that Sehun could starve for all she cared because he made such a stupid plan. Taemin looked at Jongin for some secondary advice but Jongin on shrugged and nodded in the direction of Siyeon because he knew if he said something contradictory to his girlfriend, she would dump him on the spot right there and then and it would take so much effort and time for him to make her his again.

Taemin shook his head helplessly and only prayed that the maknae would survive whatever Siyeon was going to throw at him, but his trail of thoughts paused when he spotted a certain brunet at a table full of food that was not far from the one they were taken to by the receptionist.

“OH SEHUN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE?”

‘Ah, may the heavens be with Oh Sehun,’ Jongin and Taemin thought at the same time as they got ready to hold the angry girl back.