Final

Girlfriend for hire

          When I had started studying at the university, I had met my elder brother's friends. I shared an apartment with Dae Hyun and his friends would often come to our place. I liked all of them. Yong Guk was a rough guy with a nice personality. Him Chan was very handsome and he was a sweet talker. Young Jae was very smart. Even though he would be dumb sometimes. Jong Up was a good dancer, we were good friends as I also liked dancing. Jun Hong, or Zelo, was the youngest and the cutest. He was funny.

 

          They were all gathered in the lounge of our apartment because of a major problem : Jong Up's former girlfriend was involved in a new relationship. Jong Up and Sora had spent a few months together and they had loved each other a lot. However, Sora had suddenly decided to break up. She hadn't given Jong Up a reason. She had only told him that their love had faded away.

          Jong Up had never been able to forget about her. And he wanted her back. He couldn't bear the sight of the one he loved dating another guy.

 

"Have you talked to her ?" Dae Hyun asked.

"She doesn't want to see me again." Jong Up pouted.

"Why don't you just forget about her ?" Him Chan wondered.

"I can't Hyung. I love her !" Jong Up claimed.

"Do you think she's still in love with you ?" I asked.

"I don't know.." he said.

"You could try to do a love test." Young Jae proposed.

"What is that ?" Zelo questioned.

"Jong Up should try to make Sora jealous." he explained.

"And.. how do I do that ?" Jong Up wondered.

"You should find a girlfriend !" I exclaimed. "If you're in a relationship with another girl, she might be jealous. Just as you are !"

"That's right !" Young Jae agreed.

"Where will Hyung find a girlfriend ?" Zelo asked.

"Right. He doesn't have my style." Him Chan showed off.

"It'll be hard for him to find someone quickly." Dae Hyun added.

"I'm here." I giggled. "I can help you, Oppa."

"No way ! I can't let you do that !" Dae Hyun shouted.

"Come on.. It's only for some days. It'll be funny." I argued. "May I help you, Jong Up Oppa ?"

"Jong Up, you can't date my little sister. I completely disagree." Dae Hyun said again.

"She's only trying to help him." Yong Guk presented. "He's not going to do anything to ____."

"It'll be nice if you could help me, ____." Jong Up accepted. "Hyung, trust me. I won't harm her."

 

          Dae Hyun sighed as I winked at Jong Up. As a close friend, I was willing to do anything in order to help him. It would be funny to make Sora jealous. I only wanted Jong Up to be happy again. Their romance had been so cute. It couldn't end like this, not without a good reason. If he was determined to get his girlfriend back, I wanted to try my best. We had to succeed.

 

. . .

 

         Our fake relationship began on the following day. Jong Up, Sora and I attended the same lecture. We weren't away from her so she could see us. At the end of the class, Jong Up rested his arm on my shoulders. I smiled sweetly as we left the lecture hall. Sora walked behind us.

          Later, during the lunch break, we sat at a table which wasn't far from Sora's one. She was with her friends. But I knew she wasn't focused on them. She had glanced at us several times.

 

"Oppa, open your mouth." I asked on a sweet tone.

 

          Jong Up did as I told him to and I fed him a mouthful of rice. I could feel Sora's stare on me. However, I could also feel Dae Hyun's gaze. I ignored it and kept acting as a good girlfriend. Jong Up fed me too. As I expected, Sora got jealous. She was clenching her fists on the table, her eyes never leaving us.

 

"You're so cute !" I exclaimed.

"You're the cutest !" Jong Up answered while wiping my mouth.

"She's angry." I mouthed.

"Wow I love you too baby !" he said out loud.

 

          Sora stood up immediately. She glared at me before grabbing her bag and walking away. When she was out of sight, I tapped on Jong Up's shoulder. Our plan was working so well.

 

"You're so disgusting." Dae Hyun groaned.

"Why ?" I asked. "It's so funny !"

"____ is a lovely girlfriend." Jong Up revealed.

"And you're a wonderful boyfriend." I smiled.

"Don't you dare fall in love with him !" Dae Hyun warned.

"Gosh.. you're incredible !" Young Jae face palmed. "Leave them alone."

"I think you're really good. It seems like Sora really thinks you're together." Yong Guk claimed.

"Thank you ____." Jong Up said.

"It's my pleasure."

 

. . .

 

          It had been three weeks since the beginning of our relationship. Sora was also spending time with her new boyfriend but she didn't seem happy. Whenever she passed by me, she would sigh or glare at me. She was jealous. No one could deny this fact.

          Jong Up and I were closer and we had gotten used to being together. We would always meet each other at school. He was really good to me. I had never known he was such a good man. He was funny and cute.

          I snapped out of my daydream when I heard someone knock on the door. Dae Hyun got to it first and welcomed our visitor. I was dumbfounded to see Jong Up.

 

"Hi Hyung, is ____ here ?"

"She is. Do you need something ?"

 

          I walked a few steps and leaned on the door frame.

 

"Hey ____ !" Jong Up greeted me. "Do you want to go somewhere with me ?"

"Where ?" I asked.

"It's a surprise." he replied.

 

          I looked at Dae Hyun and stuck my tongue out. My older brother said nothing. I decided to grab my bag and, after giving Dae Hyun a kiss, I followed Jong Up outside. We were walking towards the bus stop and he still wouldn't tell me where we were going. Suddenly, his hand brushed against mine. I tried to ignore it but my heart raced. I was trying to understand my body's reaction when his hand touched mine again. This time, Jong Up caught it and he intertwined our fingers.

          After a while, we got to a place at the city center. There was a group of young boys. They recognized Jong Up and welcomed us. As I didn't know any of them, he told me that it was a group of dancers he had met some weeks ago. They were holding a dance battle.

          Jong Up sat down with me as we watched them. He was very close to me, my head resting on his shoulder, and his hand holding mine. I was lost in my thoughts. I couldn't concentrate on the skill of the ones dancing in front of me. I was thinking about Jong Up's behavior. He was so sweet to me. Too sweet. He had given me tingles already. And my heart had skipped a beat at times. Whenever he smiled at me, I lost control over myself. Our plan was getting dangerous. My acting was becoming my real way of thinking. I liked the idea of being his girlfriend.

 

          I snapped out of thoughts when Jong Up stood up. His friends had asked him to get onto the little stage. Once he reached its center, he sent a flying kiss towards me. I blushed. And when he started dancing, my mouth fell agape. He was so hot..

 

"Is it serious between you and Jong Up ?"

 

          I turned around to see Sora standing behind me.

 

"Yes." I replied.

"You know, we have spent many moments together. It's not easy to forget."

"It is. You have another boyfriend and Jong Up has moved on." I argued.

"I.. don't have a boyfriend anymore."

"What ?"

"I broke up. I wasn't happy." she explained. "Jong Up really loves you. To be honest, it makes me jealous."

 

          Words wouldn't come to my mind. I was speechless.

 

"At first, I had thought that he was trying to get me back." she revealed. "But you love each other, I don't think Jong Up has ever looked at me the way he looks at you. Take care of him, please."

"I.. hum.. okay.."

 

          Sora smiled at me before walking away. I was taken aback. I had never expected her to simply let him go. The way she had stared at us, the hatred I had seen in her eyes, it was all gone. She asked me to be nice to him. Almost as if she was giving us her blessing. Little did she know, Jong Up had not forgotten about her. He wasn't in love with me. And my heart wasn't involved in this relationship. At least, I hoped so.

 

. . .

 

          That night, the guys gathered at my place again. They had brought a lot of food and drinks. What should have been a peaceful moment between friends turned into a sad evening when they talked about Sora. Jong Up wanted to know what she had told me earlier.

 

"She still loves you." I said.

"Is this what she has told you ?" Jong Up asked.

"Kind of." I answered.

"Hyung, your love story isn't dead !" Zelo yelped.

"That's great. You can leave ____ alone now." Dae Hyun ordered.

"Do you think I should go back to her ?" Jong Up was unsure.

"Yes, there is no need to take this plan further." Him Chan advised. "She's not taken anymore and she loves you, it's the perfect moment to confess."

"It's too soon." Young Jae disagreed, his gaze fixed on me.

"Why ?" Dae Hyun said.

"You should not break up with ____ now. We need to be sure of Sora's sincerity." Young Jae explained.

"Maybe you can wait until the party." Yong Guk proposed.

"A party ?" Him Chan was surprised.

"The school's party." Yong Guk added. "Before the winter holidays."

"Ah right, that's next week." Young Jae said. "You should go to that party with ____, we'll see how Sora behaves."

"I also want to.. wait." Jong Up agreed.

 

          His eye-smile sent butterflies to my stomach. I could stare at him for days. He was so cute. It was hard to think about the end of our relationship. Although it had been short, it had been precious to me. When we had started it, I had thought that I would enjoy myself. That it would be funny. I had not thought about the pain I would feel in the end. Yet, it hurt. It hurt so badly..

 

. . .

 

          I was standing in front of the mirror, with my pajamas and my messy hair, wondering if it was a good idea to go to that party. Usually, I would avoid the parties organized by students. I didn't know what to wear. Moreover, it was so sad to think that it would be my last night as Jong Up's girlfriend.

          He was probably going to confess to her at the end of the party and I would be all alone. My feelings for him had changed throughout our fake relationship. He had become important to me. I had seen him as more than a friend. Actually, I had met Jong Up, the man, instead of the younger friend of my brother. I had been his girlfriend, the one he had dated, how I wished he would really love me.

 

"Why aren't you ready ?"

 

          Dae Hyun was leaning against the door frame of my bedroom. I looked at him with a weak smile.

 

"I don't know.."

"Do you want Jong Up to be with his former girlfriend ?" he asked.

"I don't know.." I repeated.

"I knew it would be like this." he whispered. "Just confess if you're in love with him."

"Oppa ! What are you talking about.." I blushed.

"I'm not stupid ____. Do you think I wouldn't notice it if my little sister has a crush on someone ?"

"Oppa.. I don't know what to do."

"Follow your heart."

"Are you against our relationship ?"

"Of course not !" he giggled. "But I'll keep an eye on you."

"I don't know if Jong Up loves me though.."

"It doesn't matter." he cupped my cheek. "Don't let him go to another girl."

 

          His words lingered in my mind as I walked to the front door of the ballroom. The music was quite loud and people were having fun on the dance floor. Dae Hyun, Him Chan, Young Jae, Yong Guk and Zelo were so handsome with their formal clothes. Some girls were staring at me. They didn't know that I wasn't interested in them. The one I was attracted to was Jong Up, but he was in love with someone else. I felt shy when I spotted Jong Up in the room. He was walking towards me with a single red rose in his hand.

 

"You're so beautiful ____." he murmured.

"Thank you. You're also good looking !" I said.

"This is for you." he gave me the rose.

"It's so cute !" I smiled.

 

          We followed the others to a table. There, we left our belongings and Jong Up asked me to dance with him. The music changed as soon as we reached the dance floor. The rhythm was slow, romantic. Different couples joined us while single people were walking to their friends. Jong Up wrapped his arms around my waist and I rested my head on his chest. I listened to the beating of his heart. My senses were stimulated as I closed my eyes. His scent was amazing, the warmth of his body, his delicate hands, he was driving me crazy.

          The magic of the moment faded away when I opened my eyes again. The first person who caught my attention was Sora. She was leaning against the wall, observing Jong Up and I. She wasn't being mean anymore. But I could feel she was jealous. She had told me about her feelings.

 

"She's looking at us." Jong Up stated.

"Yes.." I sighed.

 

          Without words, Jong Up led me on. I tried my best to forget about his former girlfriend and focus on our dance moves. We danced for a while. Another song came up and he tightened his grip on me. I looked up. Our faces were so close, I could feel his breath on my face. He was smiling. I couldn't help but smile too and everything around us disappeared. I got nervous when he leaned closer. His lips were an inch away from mine. I prevented him from kissing me.

 

"I know Sora is important to you. But I can't help you anymore, Oppa."

"Why ?"

"I can't.." I took a deep breath. "I just can't."

"____, why can't you help me ?"

 

          He cupped my cheeks while talking. His gaze was locked to mine.

 

"I can't. Let me go, please." I begged.

"____, why are you like this ?" he asked softly.

"I don't want to help you anymore. I'm sorry Oppa, but please, can you try to understand me ?" I said. "This is so wrong."

"What's wrong ?"

"I think I'm falling for you.." I let out.

"What ?"

"I"m falling for you, Oppa."

"You're falling for me." he repeated.

 

          A wonderful smile appeared on his face. I was taken aback by his reaction. I had thought he would go away from me, or reject me. But he was smiling. And he looked so handsome !

 

"I love you ____ !"

"What ?"

"My feelings for you are real. The way I've been acting with you, everything I've said and done, it comes from my heart." he revealed.

 

          His hands traveled down my back and he pulled me closer.

 

"Will you be my girlfriend, ____ ?"

"I am your girlfriend." I reminded him.

"Then.. can I kiss you ?"

 

          I nodded. Jong Up leaned his head closer and, slowly, his lips found mine.