DAY 30: Do what you want (Hybrid AU)

너와 함께 [30 day otp challenge]

 “And it’s everything you should know,” Wonwoo said to their new employee as he finished his tour around the shelter. Hansol nodded. He opened his mouth to ask Wonwoo something, but that right moment a big dog hybrid, taller than both of them, sprinted through the corridor. If Hansol didn’t take one quick step back, he would collide with him. And not far behind him there was a small cat hybrid chasing him.

“I swear I will kill you this time! For real!” The hybrid shouted. Hansol blinked staring at them as long as they didn’t disappear in another corridor. Wonwoo cursed under his breath.

“They’re at it again.” He shook his head, then looked at Hansol.

“I forgot to tell you about them.”

“Who are they?”

“Mingyu and Jihoon,” he said and started explaining.

Everyone who worked at the Hybrid Shelter knew Mingyu and Jihoon. They got to the shelter when they were barely few months each, and stayed there since. Even if most of the hybrids there were on the good terms, not looking at what animal hybrids they were, Mingyu and Jihoon had the typical dog and cat relationship. They hated each other, but somehow couldn’t stay away from each other. Just like annoying the other was the sole purpose of their life.

But when working in the shelter, Hansol noticed something else too.

Whenever someone decided to adopt either of them, they brought the hybrid back after a week or two. Mingyu wasn’t his bouncy happy self at home, only sulking. Jihoon was really mean and made the owner’s life really miserable. But back at the shelter it was okay again. Also when someone adopted one, the other at the shelter got in a bad mood.

Jihoon really often picked on Mingyu. But if anyone else wanted to do it, he attacked them right away in a protective manner. Something like “I’m the one that can do it, not you, not anyone”. It was like that the other way around too. The bigger hybrids sometimes came to Jihoon with various plans, especially when he was in his heat, and Mingyu scared them off right away.

Hansol also often found them sleeping beside each other. Not fully cuddled up, but the space between them wasn’t big enough to say it was an accident.

The boy grown fond of them. He also liked every other hybrid, like Seungkwan, cute cat hybrid, or Minghao, quite mouse hybrid who actually knew martial arts. But these two… Every other employee of the shelter was tired by just thinking about them, and yet Hansol liked to take care of them. Stop them from fighting and all that.

That’s why he had a very mixed feelings when someone offered to adopt them both.

One Sunday there was a family, parents with two children, looking around at the shelter. The kids were arguing all the time since they came there, and maybe they started even earlier.

“I want a dog! I don’t like cats!” The girl said for a hundredth time. She had to be about eight years old and was the older one. Her brother, maybe two years younger, looked like he would cry any moment.

“But I want a kitty… Mom, you said we can have a kitty!”

“No, we’re not! I don’t want a cat!!” His sister shouted.

And that was the moment they stumbled upon Mingyu and Jihoon. They were arguing, just like those children, about something not relevant. But their usual arguing was closer to the bickering. Like an old married couple, Hansol thought.

“Excuse me,” the mother said to the boy who were with them all the time. “Those two… Are they friends?”

Hansol smiled.

“Yes, very good friends,” he answered truthfully. Well, they wouldn’t say it themselves, but… He knew. He knew.

“So it would be good to adopt them together?”

“Of course. But you have to be aware they are fighting often.” He looked at them, Jihoon now looking offended, his golden tail trembling a little as it was hitting the floor, his face turned to tv screen, looking at whatever was playing. Mingyu looked offended too, so he was sitting with his back turned to Jihoon, hands crossed on his chest. But actually their backs were touching. “Beside this, I really recommend adopting them together. Many people tried to adopt them alone before, and it wasn’t the best decision. They had to returned them.”

“Why?”

“They were just not themselves. I think they were just missing each other.”

“Mom?” The girl looked up. “Are you talking about that reaaaally big dog and that kitten?”

“Yes,” Hansol answered himself. “You can go play with them.”

“Really?!” Both kids exclaimed at the same time, and when Hansol nodded, they ran up to them. In the meantime, Hansol explained everything to the parents, how to take care of cat and dog hybrids, how to equip the room for them, but also told them about Mingyu and Jihoon themselves. How to deal with them, what to do in certain situations.

He looked at the kids too. They were actually having fun with the hybrids, and the hybrids had fun too.

The boy felt something heavy in his chest. The parents’ contented looks and children smiles were enough for him to know that they’ll adopt them soon. He was happy of course, that the hybrids will finally have a home, probably a permanent one, but… He’ll miss them. He’ll miss them so, so much.

A week later those couple came again to finalize the adoption. Hansol was on his shift then too, and he was sorta happy – at least he could say goodbye to his favorite hybrids. But when he went to take them to their new owners, he saw the unusual sight.

Of course, every hybrid was excited and scared when adopted. But Mingyu and Jihoon went through the process so many times, just to go back to the shelter again… It had to be even more stressful for them. Because they didn’t know what will happen to them. Same as usual? Or maybe not?

So when he saw them, they were sitting quietly beside each other, holding hands.

“They’re here,” Hansol said. Both of them nodded and Jihoon got up from the couch first, dragging Mingyu behind him. The boy smiled reassuringly and took them to their new owners.

And a few minutes later they were gone.

A few days later, there was a call to the shelter.

“It’s about Jihoon and Mingyu,” Wonwoo said, putting the phone away. “Want to take it?” He knew how the younger boy liked those two. He nodded.

“Hello? Is anything wrong with the hybrids?” He asked right away.

“No! That’s why I’m calling,” the woman said. “I actually wanted to say they are getting along very well. And wanted to thank you. They sometimes fight, but most of the time they’re playing together with children. Mingyu helps a lot around home, especially when we’re at work and the children are at school, and Jihoon is a very good babysitter. It isn’t as bad as you described it.” The woman sounded rather cheerful.

“Really?” He was surprised. But… “I’m very happy to hear that. I think they finally found the right home then.”

“Yes, we think so too. But you didn’t told us they sleep together too.”

Hansol frowned. “Pardon?”

“We got them two separate beds, but after the first night we discovered they pushed them together and slept cuddling.”

“Oh. Well, they didn’t do that at the shelter. But it isn’t a problem, right?”

“No, of course not! Thank you once again.”

The woman ended the call and Hansol smiled to himself. Yeah, he will miss them. But at least they seem to be finally truly happy. And that was the most important.


a/n: ...and that's it! the end of the challenge! i'm really surprised (but also happy!) by the fact that i managed to do it all. seriously, i tought i'll stop after a week or two. but i did it! i haven't been that proud of myself in a long time

i want to thank you all, for reading (this has almost 1k views here on aff wOW) and for commenting, because even the shortest comments got me more motivated. seeing you enjoying this was the best, i hope i made you happy with writing all these drabbles :)

there will be a list of the drabbles in chronological order soon, in the foreword.

if you want to talk to me about those drabbles, jigyu in general or anything else, here's my twitter and here's my curious cat. good bye for now, let's meet soon!