The Hate Wave

All I Want Is...Acceptance

The US8 boys had just finished their time on After School Club and were going to practice for their performance tomorrow. They headed to the JYP building and went down to the basement to the practice room. They had a few cameras following them around because they were filming 'Land of the US8', which fans would be able to watch soon to see what their favorite international idol group did during practice and in their spare time. Eddy, Kei, and Aiguo were already starting to practice their parts while waiting for Gyeong and Hwan to arrive. They were running a little late due to Hwan getting the sweet idea to buy his fellow members some treats.

After a few minutes of practicing, Eddy grabbed his phone for a quick moment and began to check US8's twitter feed. What he saw was surprising. Sure, there were many fans who were happy that they went on ASC and expressed how much they loved the group. But, what caught Eddy's eye wasn't the nice comment. It was a comment that was...nasty towards Eddy. 

​'Can someone explain why Eddy is a part of US8? He seems like such a wasted and stupid addition to the group.'

​Eddy read the tweet with such curiosity. He knew that there were people who didn't like him or US8, but he hadn't seen someone voice it on social media before. Sure, there were some hate comments on Youtube, but that was because those people just didn't like K-pop in general.

Kei walked over to Eddy and the latter showed him the tweet, which surprised the maknae.

"Wow," he began, "seems like someone doesn't like you."

"Looks that way," said Eddy, "I wonder if there others who have said things like this about me."

"Don't look into it hyung. It'll be fine. Everyone has their haters. Even I have haters."

"I get that. And, I'm not going to let this bother me. But, what if it gets worse?"

​"How could it get worse?"

"Maybe more people start expressing their hatred on social media."

"Ed, relax. You knew that stuff like this would show up when you were told that you were going to debut. Don't be too surprised."

"You're right. I shouldn't let this kind of stuff get to me."

"Good. Now, what say you we practice again because it apparently is taking Gyeong and Hwan a million years to get here."

Eddy let out a chuckle as he put his phone away and then began to practice again with Kei.

Aiguo was standing next to Jun, Nobu and Rick as they watched Eddy and Kei practicing. Nobu was checking US8's twitter as well and noted a few more nasty comments against the group and Eddy. He showed the others around him the tweets and they were surprised. Who knew people could be so nasty towards Eddy? They decided not to show him the tweets because they knew he would start wanting to read more of them and let them get to his head. This was probably going to hget out of hand really fast.

Gyeong and Hwan finally arrived and gave the treats to their members. But, before enjoying the treats, the group insisted on practicing a few times before sitting down to do more 'Land of the US8.'

After a lenghty practice, the members sat down in a circle and Gyeong was given a card with various questions on it.

"How did you feel during your debut stage?" he asked in Korean.

Eddy went on and replied in Korean, saying, "I felt nervous, happy, scared, and excited all at the same time. It was really nerve wracking, yet it also felt like a great relief."

The other members were impressed with how much better Eddy's Korean was getting. He still had that accent, but it was getting better nonetheless.

"Okay, so, now we're going to get to know the members a bit more. I'm, going to ask a few questions and you all have to vote the answer. Got it?" Gyeong asked.

The other members nodded their heads and then listened to Gyeong's questions.

"First question: Who is the loudest member of the group?"

On the count of three, everyone pointed at Eddy, who was pointing at Kei. He didn't think he was that loud. But, Aiguo told him that he didn't choose Eddy because he was the main vocal, he chose Eddy because his laugh and sometimes when he speaks it seems like he's screaming. The other members laughed and Eddy, with a smile on his face, hung his head in playful shame.

"Second question: Who is the dirtiest member?"

Aiguo, Gyeong, Kei, and Nobu pointed at Rick. Eddy, Hwan, and Rick pointed at Nobu. And, Jun pointed at Hwan. Rick was the winner, or loser in this case. He asked s why they thought so and Gyeong told him that he doesn't clean up after himself when he's done eating and his half of his room is piles of clothes, making the other members laugh. Rick had a bit of a surprised and betrayed look. He asked Gyeong how he could say that in front of the camera, in which Gyeong responded with it was the reason for why he chose Rick.

"Third question: Who's the best cook in the group?"

There were three expert cooks in the group: Hwan, Eddy and Nobu. They've each made food for the group, which resulted in every meal cooked by them being the best they ever had. There was a cookoff episode of 'Land of the US8' coming up soon, so they'd find out there. But, for now, they had to choose.

On the count of three, Aiguo, Gyeong, Hwan and Kei pointed at Nobu. Meanwhile, Eddy, Rick, and Nobu pointed at Hwan. Nobu had temporarily become the best cook in the group.

"Fourth question: Who's the slowest member?"

Nobu hid his face and waited for all the members to point at him, which they did and began to scream and laugh at him. He was smiling behind his hands, but still, being labeled the slowest isn't something to be super proud of.

"Final question: Who checks himself out in the mirror a lot?"

All of the members except for Hwan pointed at Hwan. Hwan was pointing at Aiguo. He was astonished to see all the members pointing at him. He asked them why they thought that and Rick responded by telling him that he might not notice it, but he almost always checks himself out in the mirror, even before bed. Kei patted his fellow hyung's back and a few of the other members laughed. Hwan was surprised and would make sure to realize how much he actually looked into a mirror.


Once they were done with all of that, the group went back to their dorm to sleep. On the way, Eddy checked Twitter again, but was met with a giant hate wave. Gyeong was sitting next to him and looked over and was surprised at some of the tweets.

"Wow," he began, "those are some pretty nasty words."

"That doesn't help Gyeong," said Eddy.

"Look Eddy, don't let these comments get to your head, okay? It'll mess with your happiness and enthusiasm that you bring to the group. We can't be down in the dumps all the time just because of haters."

"I'm going to be hearing that a lot in these next few days."

"Why do you say that?"

"Just a hunch."

Gyeong arched an eyebrow and then continued to talk with Eddy until they arrived at the dorm. The boys each got ready for bed quickly and went to sleep. They needed the rest.


Little did the group know, that the hate wave was only the beginning...