I - Earth

Interstellar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
interstellar; inter (between) stellar (star)  word count: 5786 p.s. all astronomical facts are either made up or searched in google

 

Everything was a blur when he was into the portal of nowhere.

 

He vividly remembers the creatures of the other world destroy his home: his father authoritavely barking orders from the guards of the palace to help the people fight the creatures off, while his mother voluntarily helping the nurses and the healer tend to the injured innocents of the city. And then there was orbs - light orbs floating around his friend - commanding it to put a secure barrier around the palace for protection of the royals. But he was too late to do such thing when two creatures were able to slip past the barrier, causing chaos inside the palace.

 

 

 

He remembers helping, attempting to fight one of the creatures. 

 

 

 

He fights until his skin was being ripped by the creature, blood oozing on it.

He fights with his ears perking up with the screams of his mother to stop for he will only get killed.

He fights, willing to embrace death just to protect the people of Arraum, his people.

He fights, then nothing.

 

 

He doesn't even know where did the portal came, nor who summoned it. But when the so called nowhere appeared to be the trail of dust along side of the glorious sun, he doesn't know what came over him - with one touch of those sparkling dust, a burst of bright light came, then nothing.

 

He was sure though, that there was a distinct screech somewhere far away.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

When a falling star appears in your vision, what will you do?

 

Usually, people would quickly make a wish - with their eyes tightly shut and their hands firmly clasped as they mutter their simple wishes to the heavens. Other than that, they would just watch the star in awe for its beauty; capturing it with their phones if they’re fast enough to serve as a remembrance of the millisecond beauty the skies had made them witness.

 

But neither of the two did Kyungsoo do.

 

Instead of making a wish or capturing the sight with his phone, he followed it.

 

 

 

Screw how far the falling star - now a meteorite - was on his position as of this moment, but he wants to be the first one to get a closer look on the beauty that the Universe had gotten rid of. Anyway, he's sure that wherever the meteorite is, the proximity of his distance to the location is quite near since he's in a forest on top of a small hill.

 

Being an astronomer brings great advantages on his part - most especially now. As he clumsily scrambles up to his feet leaving his telescope, foldable chair, and tent, Kyungsoo made sure to bring his car keys, flashlight, and camera for recording purposes.

 

It hadn't been a minute when the meteorite landed on earth, and he's sure that no one is to be able to come near to it yet. This made a smile ghost over his heart-shaped lips. So, with heart pounding in adrenaline, he stomped on the accelerator and drove towards the meteorite.

 

 

 

I should call Jongdae for this, Kyungsoo thought as he mindlessly grabbed his phone on his jeans pocket – left hand on the stirring wheel while the other on his pants. His owlish eyes widening in excitement when a trail of small fire slowly appeared on his line of vision. Probably because he hasn't seen an actual meteorite that's why he can't contain the euphoria throughout his system - he stomped harder, figuratively making his car fly.

 

Within minutes of driving recklessly in the midst of the sleeping forest, Kyungsoo turns his flashlight on with his camera already recording.

 

"Hello." He starts a little breathlessly, "My name is Do Kyungsoo. Twenty-one years old and a licensed astronomer in Seoul Astronomy Quarters. As of January 13, year 2012, a fallen star had reached the grounds of Seoul's night forest. After a few minutes of witnessing the meteor falling, I immediately drove to the location of the meteorite." He paused when the trail of small fire gradually grew, his smile turning into a grin. Kyungsoo halts for awhile to call his computer geek of a friend. With a few more rings, the person on the other line answers.

 

"Jongdae! Have you detected the meteorite?" He chirps, earning a grunt from his friend.

 

"No. I was sleeping - now go away and get some sleep too." Jongdae retorts, voice hoarse from sleep.

 

"No-- wait! Jongdae this is important! The meteorite is within my reach right now!"

 

"So? Let the others take care of that. Jesus, Kyungsoo, it's ing 1 in the morning. Get your home and sleep!"

 

"I can see it.. Oh my god Jongdae it's still on fire--" Kyungsoo abruptly cuts his speech when he saw what he wasn't expecting at all. Jongdae, on the other hand, had his sleep wear off in his system when his friend stopped talking - making him worry.

 

"Kyungsoo? Yah, why'd you stop? What did you see?" 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo starts trembling with a lump clogging his throat, preventing him to gasp in shock or scream in horror. His camera long gone from his grasp when he unconsciously dropped it, his widened eyes reflecting the orange flickers of the flames, and his mouth gaped in a silent scream. He can hear his friend already shouting in his phone with worry laced onto it, but with his frozen mind and body, the only thing he can do is stare at the supposed to be a burning rock.

 

He immediately regrets flying towards the location of the meteorite - or was it?

 

He should've taken his precious time driving all the way to the crater.

 

Because Kyungsoo is a hundred percent ing sure that a meteorite is a rock - not a figure of a human.

 

Eventually finding his voice, he whimpers for his friend to come and probably throw him to the hospital for seeing things - or was he?

 

"Just ing tell me what the hell you saw or I swear I'm going to poke your wide eyes into oblivion when I see you!" Jongdae screams in frustration and worry, slamming the front door of his house loudly - not caring one bit if he would disturb his neighbors - as he briskly half walks half runs towards his car.

 

"I-I-I...I don't know... I..." Kyungsoo whimpers.

 

"You mothering what?!"

 

"...A human..? F-.. Jongdae what the hell am I seeing? I-is... I-is a rock s-supposed to be a...a...f-f-figure of a h-human?" His small voice turning into a whisper when he found himself slowly advancing on the figure. At this moment, the trails of fire already dissipated, leaving the questioningly human-figured rock - or was it really a ing rock? - on the center of the crater.

 

 

 

Soon enough, the computer geek was on the side of the small, trembling astronomer; half comforting half scolding him for staying out late again. Jongdae already saw the cause of fear on the astronomer's sight so it was a no surprise to see the usually fearless and evil-but-kind-and-selfless boy to become this scared. Who wouldn't, anyway? Jongdae, despite his calm - too calm - demeanor, deep inside he was freaking out too because what the hell is he supposed to convince to himself? That seeing a meteorite-turns-out-to-be-a-human is a normal thing?! Heck, the both of them even checked if the human - a boy - has a pumping heart and a breathing lungs. Unfortunately, he has.

 

After taking a long, deserving deep inhale for his own lungs, Kyungsoo gulped audibly as he focused his vision on the fallen boy.

 

The boy is obviously tall - with those toned, slim legs and broad shoulders, Kyungsoo was guessing that his own height would only reach up to the boy's chest. That doesn't bother him, though; he's long accepted the annoying fact that he's small by both figure and height and is towered mostly by men and even women. The boy has a tanned skin, making him question the existence of the damn boy. Good thing he was lying unconscious with his back turned because if his guess of the boy being good looking like that of an asian greek god, then he would absolutely believe that the boy is not human at all but a fallen god.

 

Who would find a tanned boy whose body is sculpted by the gods on the middle of a crater of a supposed to be rock since he was the one who fell from the sky and not the rock itself perfectly normal and a complete human-thing? That's not a human-thing at all, unless you believe in some fantasy- wherein a Great War happened in the galactic forces that Kyungsoo doesn't believe in (He might be a fan of Star Wars, but that's only in comics and movies!). He's not just an astronomer because it's his dream to be one; in fact, his motto - just like the rest of the scientists out there - is "to see is to believe".

 

So who is this boy? Is he a humanoid gone wrong when he fell from the sky?

 

"What is he?" He unknowingly spoke out the question in a quiet voice, startling the poor computer geek's heart.

 

"Stop with the surprises already! And... I don't know..." Jongdae sighed. "Should we bring him to the hospital or something? Or do we just leave him here? I mean, for sure the others already knew about the supposed to be meteorite's existence on this forest but it's obvious he isn't a rock... They would experiment on him, investigate him and all the that curious scientists do."

 

Kyungsoo looked at his friend, pondering about his question. After a while, he came up with a conclusion. Switching back his gaze from the boy, he his chapped lips and sighed deeply. "I think... I think we should keep him from the authorities, Jongdae." From his peripheral vision, he saw his friend's eyes widening whilst looking at him, mouth opening in an upcoming protest; but Kyungsoo beat him to it. "I don't know what's wrong with me or what's exactly going on in my head, but I just have this gut feeling that we should keep him - bring him to my house and take care of him. There's something with this boy that I can't seem to figure out right now: if he is a humanoid alien or what-- if he is like... like Thor who was banished from Asgard for being impulsive or whatever like that. Whatever the reason of his fallen up there, the authorities would surely only make him as an experiment. And... I don't know..." Kyungsoo lifted his gaze back to his friend, who was now looking to him as well - small smile lingering on his cheshire lips. "I don't know what you think of this but.. I don't want that to happen. You and I know how the scientist from SAQ works."

 

 

 

By the time 2 am came, both workers from Seoul Astronomy Quarters plopped themselves on the astronomer's beige couch in exhaustion. After talking about what should they do to the site of the supposed to be meteorite, Kyungsoo and Jongdae gathered the former's things ("Next time, I'm going to burn your tent and make sure you don't get to use it once you buy another one." - Jongdae), and carried the unconscious boy towards Kyungsoo's car ("His body may be screaming Calvin Klein model, but his weight isn't! What the hell is this creature eating? Cows?!" - Jongdae).

 

"You should sleep here, Jongdae. It's already 2; I don't want you to lurk outside anymore, it's too dangerous." Kyungsoo said wearily, a big yawn widening his plump lips. 

 

"Sure, Soo... Whatever you say..." Jongdae's voice trailed off, eventually ending up as a snore. The smaller chuckled with hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter