The lost

Running from Death

DON'T FORGET TO READ PREVIOUS CHAPTER

I UPDATED THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER YESTERDAY BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE I DISABLED THE CHAPTER FROM READING. SORRY MY LOVELYS. ENJOY ;D

 

Seungho woke up with a jolt. He didn't realize when he had fallen asleep. But he was woken up when he felt Mir moved in his hold restlessly. His eyes darted immediately to the baby of MBLAQ, frowning as he saw Mir was actually awake and looking up at him with dazed look.

          "What is it maknae? Is it hurt?" Seungho asked, he loosened his hold on Mir a bit to maneuvered the younger to a more comfortable position.

          Mir gasped slightly, struggling with his breath. He tried to talk but again, only gasps came out. He took several deep breath, obviously with so much hardship before he was able to form words. "I c-can't..." And he went back to gasping, trying to concentrate on his breathing.

          "Oh no. Cheolyong. Try harder okay." Seungho panicked as he realized Mir was having difficulty to breath and he pulled Mir to sat up, his hand cupping Mir's cold cheek tenderly, thumb ghosting just under Mir's round eyes. "Just breath like usual. You can do it."

          Mir shook his head, but still, he tried.

          "It's okay." Seungho looked around the room. The others were fast asleep. "Those damn police! Why aren't they here already?" Seungho cussed, he felt his own breathing becoming rag. His mind whirled in new urgency as he listened to the struggle Mir was facing. "That's it. I'm going to take you out of here!" Seungho said determinedly, gathering Mir and stood up with Mir slacked into his hold.

          "Hyung? What are you doing?" Sanghyun woke up and sleepily gazed up at Seungho.

          Joon, too, who was known for his light sleeping habit, woke up and stared up at Mir who was in Seungho's arms with sleepy eyes. "What?" He asked groggily, stumbling to his feet when Sanghyun stood up as well.

          Both of their sleepy eyes however clicked open fully when they heard forced gasping from Mir, quickly giving their attention on the sick maknae.

          "We can't wait any longer, or Cheolyong might not make it." Seungho said, heading towards the door.

          "But, hyung!" Joon went after Seungho while Sanghyun went to wake the others up and filled them in of what was ongoing right about now. "We should-" Joon stopped himself when Mir suddenly let out a loud wheeze, breath came out shorter and his face showed his each and every torture he was facing now while the maknae's arms cling around Seungho's neck desperately, like a frightened child. It hurt Joon to watch this. "Damn it! Let's go!" Joon decided. Like hell he was going to stay and wait and just watch as Mir slipped out of their care just like that. "Wait!" He said and jogged back into the room, taking the rifle with him and nodded to Sanghyun who immediately understood and easily followed the actor's lead.

          "The others wait until help arrive. Close the door." Sanghyun ordered.

          "No! I want to come too!" Dongwoon protested, trying to sat up only to fall back after a particularly painful whimper. Fortunately, Sanghyuk was there to stop Dongwoon from hitting his head on the hard floor.

          "You can't." Sanghyun said, glancing back at the place Joon was waiting impatiently. "You're in no condition to walk." He reminded.

          "But, Cheolyong-"

          "Don't worry about him." Sanghyun cut the younger off. He smiled gratefully at Dongwoon and was touched at how much Dongwoon care about Mir despite his own current condition. He always knew Mir got a lot of great friends since Mir was a great person on his own but it just never ceased to amaze him. "He have me. And them." He tilted his head slightly at Joon who was talking to Seungho at the door.

          The tense on Dongwoon's features seemed to go away. Though Sanghyun wasn't that far older than him or even Mir, he knew Sanghyun would take a good care of Mir. If there was anyone who could bring Mir to a safety, it would be MBLAQ. But that didn't mean that he'd stay low.

          "No." Dongwoon said firmly. He inhaled deeply, fighting against the painful wound on his shoulder and climbed back on his feet with Sanghyuk's help who had been loyal by his side throughout the night. "He's my best friend." He added, waiting until the dark spots covering his vision finally left him. He knew, he was just going to slow them down, but he couldn't help it. He was about to take another step when suddenly he felt his feet didn't touch the floor and in just split of second, he was already riding on Leo's back.

          "Then, let's go." Leo said, hooking his arms under Dongwoon's knees and went ahead, Sanghyuk and Taemin trailing after the two older.

          Sanghyun ruffled his hair, picking up the backpack and went to join the small group. It seemed that Mir had already moved into Joon's arms instead meanwhile Seungho got his grip on the rifle. Sanghyun shot a questioning look at Joon.

          "I don't know how to use that gun." Joon said, knowing Sanghyun's silent question.

          Seungho rolled his eyes. "It's a rifle, pabo." Seungho caressed Mir's hair and Mir looked up to him with those round glassy eyes. "Don't worry Cheolyong. We'll be fine." He assured gently and smiled. He looked back up to Joon when Mir had safely tuck his face against Joon's chest. "Changsun." He started when Joon looked back at him innocently. "Don't drop him."

          Joon shrugged. "I can't promise. He's quite heavy- Ouch! I'm just joking Cheolyong, no need to bite me."

          "You deserve that." Sanghyun said, clapping Joon's shoulder.

          "Now, let's go." Seungho took the lead.

          "Err... Hyung..." Joon with Mir in his arms walked closer beside Seungho. "Do you know the way out?"

          Seungho paused, the tension in his face still taut as he shook his head. "No, do you?"

          "Urm... No..." Joon said sheepishly.

          "Y-you guys a-are hopeless." Mir gasped slightly and would have laugh if he wasn't short of breath. "That way." He pointed, gaining himself a pet on his head from Seungho as Joon walked ahead.

          They had to get out of here. They can wait no more.

 

@@@@@@@@@@

 

Mir groaned when Joon jolted him up a bit during their journey and all the older could say was sorry. The ground wasn't even so he couldn't help it. He had tried his best to be careful with injured Mir in his care but it was proven to be in vain when suddenly a large shadow with glowing olive eyes blocked the group's way.

          "Oh !" Of all people, it was Taemin who cursed, losing his cool as he scrambled to hide behind the group.

          The shadow lurked around before it showed himself up and was approaching the group with slow motion steps.

          "Joon, step back!" Seungho whispered harshly, he was in the position to shoot already. And he would have if it wasn't for the sound of twigs snapping and later, another large feline mutant stepped on the other side. ! More than one!

            "Urm... Guys... Another one." Sanghyun voiced out as he slowly stepped back when another came into his view.

          They were surrounded!

          "Put me down." Seungho heard Mir requested and saw from the corner his eyes as Mir stumbled to stand next to him with Joon opening his arms around Mir in case the maknae lost his footing. "What should we do now hyung?" Mir asked, still very much breathing loudly that even his small lips was turning a bit blue.

          Seungho used one arm to pull Mir to stand behind him. "Stay behind me." He said but Mir never really listen as the maknae simply slid under Seungho's arm.

          "I'll get eaten eventually. Might as well take one down with me." Mir argued with a lopsided smirk.

          "Stay back, Bang Cheolyong or I'll eat you myself." Seungho scolded, like Mir, his eyes never left the feline mutant in front of him.

          "No hyung. This time, I'm not listening."

          "Cheolyong." Joon tried as well but Mir just shook his head at the older stubbornly.

          Seungho clicked his tongue. "You have no gun."

          "It seem that I don't have any care either."

          "Or brain."

          Mir chuckled slightly. "Say what you want to say hyung. I'm not backing down."

          The three felines let out deep growl as they enclosed the trapped group. The group of the eight boys stepped down, their backs meeting with each other and Mir made sure Leo who was piggybacking Dongwoon stayed in the centre.

          Seungho was hesitant to make the first move. If he shot, yes, he would get one in the head without any doubt in this distance but what about the other two beasts? They would get pounced and ripped into pieces in just matter of minutes. And they were driven to the end now. No escape. All that left was too fight back.

          Not to mention not all of them were in any condition to fight. Leo was carrying injured Dongwoon so those two were out of question. Mir was only half a fighter with his injuries. So, Mir was out too- "!" Seungho's thought was cut short and he cussed when the beast in front of him suddenly leapt into the air and tried to take him down. He released a shot and it hit right on the beast's neck. The beast overshoot and landed harshly on the ground. Shout of panic filled Seungho's ears as the other two beasts starting to attack the others.

          Seungho's eyes went wild in search for Mir while trying to load the bullet again when the beast he shot just now got up again, eyes glaring at him as the beast bore its rows of fangs at Seungho. Damn it! The shot was missed because Seungho was taken by surprise.

          Before Seungho could even pulled the kick lock, he was flung away from his standing and crashed into one of the tree. A puff of air was knocked out of his lung. Before he could even collect his thought, the beast was already in front of him, paws with sharp claws heading his way.

          Raising the rifle above his head, he managed to stop the claws from being plunged deep into his flesh as he battled strength with that beast. The long sharp claw was just few inches from his widened eyes. He thought he was done for as his arms shook under the weight of the beast when something or rather someone threw himself against the beast, bringing the deadly animal away from Seungho.

          "Get away from my hyung!" Seungho sat up and saw Sanghyun bravely fought barehanded with the beast.

          "Sanghyun!" Seungho shouted when he saw the beast sunk its teeth into Sanghyun's shoulder.

          "No, you're not stealing anymore from me!" Another voice and Mir was there, a few feet away, throwing his rambo blade with his whole strength and it hit the beast on its right front leg.

          Seungho was about to call Mir's name when the maknae was swiped away by another beast. "NO!" Seungho shouted, raising his rifle but the beast which had taken Mir was hidden behind the shadows and trees. He saw Joon running towards the place Mir was taken and pointed his rifle back to Sanghyun who had a hold on the blade that was still plunged in the beast's front leg, purposely twisting the rambo blade even deeper into the flesh, blood flowing out like a leak pipe.

          The beast roared in pain and released its fangs from Sanghyun. Sanghyun fall behind on the ground and once Sanghyun was nowhere in the middle of Seungho's line of shoot, the MBLAQ leader pulled the trigger.

          Nothing!

          He fiddled with the rifle but nothing happened when he pull the trigger again a few times more. He almost threw the useless weapon away harshly, realizing that maybe the firearm was tampered when he used it to defend himself from the creature before but was stopped when he heard Sanghyun's shout of pain as the beast clawed the younger on the thigh.

          Seungho ran ahead, crashing into the beast and used the weapon too hit the head of the beast, yet he was easily swatted away by the beast that he fall down next to Sanghyun. When the beast growled at them, Seungho pushed Sanghyun back protectively.

          Seungho kept on moving back until his hand felt something. A stone of a fist size. He took the stone and scrambled up, ready to use it to strike when a lump of wood hit the creature from the side. Seungho's eyes widened as he saw the feline-mutant swayed slightly and looked a bit dizzy from the blow.

          "Nice to see you again Seungho." GO entered Seungho's line of sight, clutching onto a lump of wood as he raised it to strike yet again with even greater blow while the feline-mutant was still out of it. He did that a few times until the creature let out a whimper and stepped back, running back into the bushes.

          They didn't have time to celebrate the reunion as GO nodded to Seungho and went running towards the place Mir and Joon had been thrown into and Seungho went towards the other feline-mutant as he saw Leo had fallen by Sanghyuk's side with large gash on his stomach.

          They must fight back!

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@

         

Joon was about to head in Taemin's way when he saw the poor boy was trapped under the feline mutant. Sanghyuk was heading towards Taemin as well while Leo was putting Dongwoon carefully on the ground in order to help others but he halted when he heard Mir's voice.

          He turned his head automatically, eyes searching for the MBLAQ maknae when he saw another feline-beast pouncing on Mir and both of Mir and the beast flew into the shadow. He didn't waste any time as he left for Mir, cussing under his breath. He didn't have any weapon on him but he wasn't about to just let that creature devoured his maknae without him doing anything.

          "Don't touch him!" Joon shouted, ramming his fist into the side of the beast. He united both hands and slammed them down onto the beast's head with all the power he got.

          Mir was coughing down on the ground, blood leaving his mouth and there was even new wound on Mir's forehead. The sight of Mir quivering on the wet ground, bleeding and writhing in pain just fueled Joon more. But even with his rage and strength, his power was nothing compared to the large predator. He was pushed down on the ground as the predator held him still with its large paw.

          Joon saw clearly as the beast opened its jaws wide, revealing its fangs and was about to bite Joon's head off when the beast stopped halfway. Mir was on the feline-mutant back, both hands pulling against the corner of the predators mouth, distracting the beast from Joon. As Joon felt the weight on his body slightly lifted up, he rolled to his side and away from the beast's clutch.

          "Cheolyong!" He tried to get to Cheolyong who was still on the beast's back only to get kicked on his chest by the beast's hind feet. Joon was hurled with his back hitting the tree. He grunted in pain as he palmed his chest. He looked up again and saw Mir had released one hand from the beast, still not letting the beast go but Mir's free hand went to the locket hung around his neck, yanking the necklace and with a blood curdling shout, Mir used the fang to stabbed into the beast's eye, blood squirting out.

          A particularly loud roar followed after and the beast jumped around everywhere, trying to shake Mir off of it violently. Joon noticed how Mir was losing his grip on the beast and the older picked himself up immediately, side-stepping, eyes following the beast and just like he had predicted, Mir was thrown away from the beast and would have hit the ground if he didn't dove down and caught the younger.

          "You okay?" Joon asked, holding on both of the younger's shoulder, wincing at the blood coloring one side of Mir's face.

          "I'm bleeding. Do I look okay?" Mir said dryly, turning around only to gasp at the closeness of the beast with them.

          Joon's breath hitched as the beast lurked closer. One eye blinded but one eye show the intense murdering intent. Joon scrambled backwards but not without pulling Mir with him until his back met a tree and he kept pulling on Mir until the maknae sat between his leg and maknae's back hit his chest. He knew if he didn't hold onto Mir, Mir was going to go and get himself killed. Not that they weren't facing the death either.

          "Hyung! Let go of me!" Mir struggled, the fang covered with blood still in his hand and just like the beast, Mir's eyes reflected his own murderous intent. He tried to get away from Joon's clutches and just blindly lunged towards the beast but Joon held him tight and close.

          The beast roared once again and Joon rounded his arms around Mir protectively, trying to shield Mir but it was not easy in their position and it ended up with Mir, pushing him flat against the tree and protecting him instead. "Damn it!" Mir cursed, straightening his back so the beast won't get to Joon.

          The beast raised one paw. Its blade-like claws showing evidently. Once it swung its paws towards the two men, Mir raised his own arms, the white fang in his hand pointed towards the incoming paw. The fang pierced through the paw but Mir was thrown aside at the impact even with Joon trying to pull him.

          Mir rolled away, pulling off the fang out of the paw, taking it with him. The sound it made as it twisted inside the flesh of the beast just now gave Mir some sort of sickly satisfaction. Mir smirked when the beast turned its back on Joon and its glowering eyes narrowed on Mir. It seemed that it was intending to finish Mir first.

          Mir was already lying flat on the ground on his stomach, not able to move much after the damage he took. Yet, his fingers were still curled tight around the fang. He would fight to the end. If he couldn't kicked and punched, then he'd cursed the beast to his death.

          "Come on... That's all you got?" Mir taunted, trying to pick himself up in vain. His whole body was quivering and his eyesight was slightly blurry. Mir flipped himself on his back and sat up with much difficulty only to have his face smoldered under the paw and he was pushed flat on his back again with the beast looming over him. The back of his head hit the ground painfully that he swore he heard ringing resonating in his ears. When the ringing ceased down, he heard Joon's shouting his name and a loud crash just right after, followed by painful moan from Joon. Mir couldn't see anything, but he pretty much knew what happened.

          Mir stabbed the fang into the front leg the was holding him down until it lift from his face and he could see and breathe again only to have the same paw crashing upon his chest, leaving Mir with silent scream of pain as the force hit perfectly on his tender spot. Mir wheezed, struggled even more to breathe with the pain and the damaged lungs when he heard that.

          A very familiar bark...

          Soju!

            Mir turned his head slightly, narrowing his eyes to get clearer view even when he was having double vision right at this moment. A white small ball was bounding its way to him. "S-soju." Mir rasped out as the little puppy barked again and jumped onto the feline, biting hard on the back of the feline's nape.

          The beast let out rumble-like growl and tried to shake Soju off of it and as the result, it was distracted away from Mir. Mir sat up just in time when another shadow passed him from the same direction Soju came and he almost got a heart attack when he finally saw that the shadow was the creature he saw at the camp. Not a feline-like mutant but a canine-like mutant with one blind eyes.

          The dog-like mutant went straight towards the feline beast and was in seconds in a heated battle against the mutant. It seemed that Soju was in the middle of the battling large beast, jumping from one to another back and forth but only sinking its teeth or clawing onto the feline. It almost seemed like Soju and the canine beast were on the same side.

          "Cheolyong!" GO suddenly appeared, pulling Mir up and farther from the side of the battle just in time when the canine was pushed back towards where Mir was sitting before. If only GO didn't get to him first, Mir would have probably being crushed under the weight of the beast.

          "Soju!" Mir shouted, struggling against GO to get to his beloved pet but GO simply pulled him into a hug, caging him into the strong arms.

          "Don't Cheolyong! It's dangerous." GO warned, easily restraining the injured Mir. He looked up to see Joon stumbled towards them, taking the furthest path away from the ongoing brawl between two beasts and also Soju.

          Mir still trying to struggle his way out, but he stopped dead and flinched back when he saw crystal clear how Soju was hit on the side and flew a few meters away with a yelp, crashing on the ground harshly.

          "SOJU!" Mir shouted, tears leaking out of his eyes as he cried out louder even with GO's and Joon's combined effort to calm the maknae down.

          "Guys! What happened? There's another- Here too?" Sanghyuk squeaked with Dongwoon barely able to stand and walk with his support. Seungho and the others were right behind them. Seungho was helping Sanghyun while Taemin was helping Leo.

          "What do you mean?" Joon asked, still trying to get Mir to stop moving so much with such injuries.

          "There's a wolf. I mean. A beast too. With red eyes fighting the other beast there. And we just took off. That... It looks just like that." Sanghyuk pointed towards the canine beast which was still in heated fight against the feline mutant after lowering Dongwoon to the ground next to hysterical Mir.

          "We should go while they are distracted!" GO decided, trying to lift Mir up into a bridal style but the maknae was moving so much, rejecting him and was trashing around that he finally lost hold on the maknae and Mir fall back onto the ground.

          Joon tried to help the fallen maknae but the maknae scrambled away from him and stumbled away from the small group, heading towards Soju when his path was blocked by a fallen feline-mutant which was already half dead.

          Mir's widened wet eyes brazed over the half-dead creature before slowly looking up at the violet eyes which now was staring back at him. He heard ruckus behind him where half the others tried to get to him while the remaining half tried to restraint them from jumping into the obvious danger.

          Mir fall on the ground when another canine beast with glowing red eyes suddenly jumped out from the bushes, standing right in between Mir and the small group of the survivors. Mir could barely heard sound of his hyungs and friend shouting his name in worries and anxiety over his own loud heartbeat.

          The two canine mutant enclosed to Mir when the one with violet eyes took Soju on its way, biting on the little pup neck. The puppy dangled limply from the beast's mouth. "N-no! Soju! Let him... go..." Mir trailed off when suddenly the violet eye beast dump Soju's limp body into Mir's lap. Mir swore he heard the beast whimpered as it nudged its nose against Soju which was already on Mir's laps as if telling Soju to wake up.

          The others could only watch from their place at the interaction between the two beasts and Mir and Soju in mixed of fear, worries, curiosity and above all, amazement. The two beasts seemed very tame in front of Mir.

          Mir swallowed. Hesitantly, he raised one hand shakily, with palm facing forward and to his surprise, the violet eye beast nudged its head with a docile glint in its one eyes. "Y-you're friendly." Mir whispered. But the beast immediately retreat and growled at the small group of boys when Seungho tried to approach Mir. Mir was left confused as he watch Seungho backed away in defeat and stay with the small group. He saw the questioning look Seungho threw in his way but he didn't have the answer himself.

          Once the beast was sure none of the other survivors tried to approach it, it went back to Mir, making a very soft tame noise as it nudged again on lifeless Soju together with the red glowing eyes canine who had taken a place next to Mir, putting its chin on Mir's laps like a spoiled little puppy. Mir understood what the beast want.

          on Soju's wet white fur, Mir couldn't help the tears lapping down his face, mixing with the rain that had started to cease down. "Soju is gone." He whispered with wavering voice threatening to crack, not caring if the two beasts understood him or not but it seemed that they did when he heard whimper coming from the two canine mutant and later, Mir felt warm wet tongue his cheeks, his tears. Mir looked up to the two beast. "Thank you." He whispered as his vision became even more blurry and dark spots started to cover his eyesight.

          "Cheolyong." GO called from behind but flinched back when two pairs of glowering eyes glaring in his direction even though the two beasts didn't make any move that indicate they were going to attack the survivors.

          "They are my friend." Mir said slowly, sighing a few times as he felt not enough oxygen was reaching his lungs.

          The two canine beast snorted submissively but looked up when they heard sound of footsteps and people shouting out for names. Help. Help was finally here. And the sun was rising in the east, giving a new color to the pitch black sky, replacing the darkness and the warmth of oncoming sunray replacing the cold left by the ceased rain.

          "Go! If they see you two, you'll get shot." Mir shooed the two beasts which seemed hesitated for a while before marching their way back into the bushes, leaving Mir with his remaining sobs.

          "What the hell was that?" GO was the first to break the silence and went to Mir's side, followed by the three others while the remaining boys went ahead shouting for help. "Cheolyong." GO called out softly, putting his hand delicately over Mir's hand which was still Soju's white fur. "Shh... It's okay. I'm here now." GO said softly, pulling Mir to rest the youngest's head against his chest.

          "Cheolyong?" Joon shook the boy shoulder slightly when he noticed the younger's round brown eyes were shut and his frail body slumped lifelessly against GO. "H-hyung. C-Cheolyong is..." Joon stuttered, his almond eyes widened.

          "Cheolyong? Open your eyes. Cheolyong. Come on, wake up." GO shook Mir's body a bit harder but there was no sort of reaction coming from Mir. The boy didn't move. The maknae didn't even... Breathe...

          "Sanghyun!" A shout from Seungho before Sanghyun suddenly crashed down right onto Joon's laps, face pale, breathe weak, blood soaking out from his open wound, scarlet was all could be seen. Adding to the wound in their heart.

          Seeing the two maknaes in such condition, the three older men were left in shock. A harsh blow that rendered them frozen and useless. One was on the brink of the death while one wasn't even breathing anymore.

          "No... No... No..." GO chanted, tightening his arms around Mir's limp body. "Cheolyong! You can't leave me! You promised to stay me. You can't die. Wake up! Cheolyong! WAKE UP!" GO cried out, burying his tear drenched face into the crook of Mir's neck.

          "Hyung. GO hyung, let them help." Taemin popped out of nowhere, hand massaging GO's shoulder. The medics were here already and there were also police enforcement guarding around with firearms, some were already helping the others including Sanghyun.

          Reluctantly, GO loosened his hold on the maknae, heart plummeted to the ground seeing how deathly pale Mir's face was. At once, Mir's body was pulled away from him and was given emergency CPR right after, while being wheeled out of the forest. GO wanted to follow, wanted to plead to those people to promise him that Mir would be safe, that Mir's heart would beat again. But his strength had far since leaving him. He could just sat there, with Seungho and Joon by his side, just as soulless as him.

          GO gazed Soju's unmoving body that was lying abandoned on the ground before he took the small puppy. Mir would want Soju to be buried properly. After a while, he felt two pairs of hands tugging him to stand and distant voice reached his ears.

          "Are you okay, sir? Are you injured anywhere?" GO couldn't answer to that. He just stared with blank eyes on Soju's figure in his hands. "Sir, are you hurt anywhere?"

          My heart.