Don't shut me out , please

Let me in

 

 

A handsome young man with reddish brown hair , wearing a suit and standing in the hallway of a respectable company in seoul was on his way to attend a meeting when a vibration in his pocket alerted him to an incoming call .

 

He kept staring at the screen of his phone , feeling an all too familiar sliver of guilt resurface because he knew he couldn’t just leave his work even though his lover needed him . And answering just to say he couldn’t make it home early would probably sadden the bedridden younger more than not answering at all , right ?

 

Nodding to himself , Chanhee heaved a deep sigh then proceeded walking towards his destination .

 

Meanwhile , a certain brunette was lying on bed , holding the cell phone next to his ear then sighed as he got no response . A bitter smile carved itself on his face . It was bad enough he had to call for help and not getting an answer only made it worse .

 

 

He had wondered briefly , how is it that after being connected on a purely intimate level , becoming one , bonding and all , things could take such a dark turn ?! He’d also wondered if Chanhee ever felt the same shooting pain of torn flesh as of late .. He ought to , right ? To get abruptly torn apart from each other , it felt like having his shirt stained in dried blood  clinging to skin only to be brutally ripped apart from the injury causing a pain too immense to tolerate .

 
 

Chanhee was not soft with the younger ,  he rarely spoiled him or showed affection as of late .


That's why when he does ,  Byunghun cherishes it . It's not every day that Chanhee spoils him after all .

 

 

That afternoon ,  as Byunghun sat on bed  feeling sick and nauseous , he had no choice but call the other who apparently had a meeting . A bitter feeling took over , spreading through the younger's veins but he curbed it and tried to be patient .

 

 

 

After an hour so Chanhee called back and Byunghun told him he needed him but the elder said he couldn't leave and that broke the younger's heart . Getting emotional that Chanhee chose  work as first priority , Byunghun ended the call abruptly and  decided to drift to sleep or at least attempted to .

 

 

 

Later on ,  Byunghun awoke by the sound of the doorbell ringing but it couldn’t have been Chanhee because the said would not knock . He has keys . And so Byunghun ignored the door because he knew - by the time he gets there , whoever was knocking would have left after waiting for so long - .

 

He couldn’t believe he was desperate enough to wish it was Chanhee . Tired brown eyes landed on the clock and Byunghun quickly realized it was time for his medicine . though he couldn't remember if he took the one after breakfast . Depending more on luck than memory , he shrugged and reached for the sandwich on the bedside table . Chanhee had prepared it . Smiling at that , Byunghun uncovered the plate and began eating .

 

Maybe it was silly , to smile at such thing . But for him it wasn't . It meant deep inside , his Chanhee hadn't lost his caring side , right ? Or was Byunghun deluding himself ? Almost instantly , the sudden warmth he felt at the thought of Chanhee still caring for him vanished and began turning into a merciless numbing cold . He left the half - eaten sandwich on the bedside table and curled in bed , his tears running down his cheeks freely and soaking the pillows . No one was there to pity him or witness his vulnerable state . And that was enough to comfort him . He'd had enough pity from Chanhee and hated every moment of it .

 

 

 

 

At  night when Chanhee got back ,  he noticed how sick Byunghun looked and planned to take the said to hospital but the younger silently refused just by a tilt of his head to the other side since he couldn’t really move anything else . It felt so tiring . Everything .  Make it stop .



 

Chanhee hadn't came to him when he was on his worst .


Why ?

 

Oh ! Right .. Because of work .

 

 


As Chanhee lifted him up  like a feather ,  Byunghun squirmed and even though he had no power ,  his pent up emotions gave him just enough strength to scratch whichever part he could reach of his lover who accepted it blinking back his own conflicted emotions .

 

 

He knew after all . He knew everything about Byunghun . He knew why Byunghun was ..  Broken , not just because Chanhee stayed at work . But also because of his condition .. Byunghun hated the fact he needed help . It was humiliating and when the one who should be first to help you isn't there and gives priority to something else ,  it's like hell  on top of it .

 

 

 

 

The whole ride , Byunghun kept his eyes glued to the road and Chanhee couldn't blame him . The younger bit his lips trying to make them stop quivering , his pride was the only thing stopping him from breaking down and shedding tears of anguish , shame and despair .

 

 

As soon as they arrived there , Chanhee helped Byunghun - who wordlessly accepted - out of the car . From then onwards , everything felt like a blur to both of them .

 

It was obvious that Byunghun’s condition was  deteriorating .
It was not that critical but not stable either ..  If he was taken good care of ,  he would be fine but on the long term ,  no one knew . Chanhee spent the whole time outside the hospital room , hands steepled and mind racing . for the first time in so long ,  he started thinking back .. Everything .

 
 

He wasn't originally aggressive or cold with Byunghun .
On the contrary , he recalls a time they were one of the happiest couples alive .

 
 


Chanhee and Byunghun were neighbors .
One day ,  the elder got out of his apartment and noticed Byunghun leaving with his belongings and a " For rent " label hanging on the door of the younger’s apartment .

 

They have never really talked much before but Chanhee knew Byunghun was a nice person . So he couldn’t help but feel rather shocked . It was also the first time he noticed Byunghun's  frail built up close , how he had troubles walking and carrying his bag even though it looked small . Chanhee was planning to go for a walk with his dog Meonji But after such situation , he found himself asking the younger " Hey ?  What's going on ?  You leaving ? "

 

Byunghun got uneasy which didn't go unnoticed by Chanhee who suddenly  recalled how the owner has been arguing with the younger over late payment lately  . And so after a lot of insisting from the elder ,  they  both ended up in Chanhee’s apartment .

 

At first , they were extremely awkward . Chanhee may have insisted earlier but really , he didn’t know much about the younger . To break the ice , the elder decided to show more hospitality and offered Byunghun something to drink for the second time .

 

 


Eventually ,  they got to know each other more . Maybe a little too much .
It was one of those moments where one cannot help but come out of the closet .  Byunghun let Chanhee in on everything about him . The younger turned out to have experienced a serious car crash that affected his legs . He had been into surgery to heal his hips and legs in general . It has been hell for him since they had to insert a rod in his body to make sure the bones healed .  And because of that ,  he had been working from home , designing web sites or something . His parents were still alive but he refused to be a burden . Unfortunately as time went by ,  his condition got from bad to worse .


It started taking him about 15 minutes every morning to get off bed
And so he started losing requests because he couldn’t make it in the due time for work since his condition kept going from bad to worse ,  it was not just his legs but also other health issues .


So ,  no job .. Which meant  late  payments and going to live with his parents was no option for 1) he couldn’t have them know he had no job and was practically kicked out . 2) he didn’t want to be a burden .
And he really hadn’t anyone worth calling a friend .
Even if he had ,  he would never intrude .


The whole story wasn’t told in one go though ,  Chanhee knew about it bit by bit , day after day .  How ? well , he tried his best to persuade Byunghun to stay with him . At first , the younger was dead against it but then Chanhee just had to use the puppy eyes which Byunghun could not resist . He was still against imposing himself but decided to argue with the elder just to humor him , giving excuses like how he would have agreed if he could help with the living expenses which he couldn't , or how he would have helped with the housework which he also couldn't because of his rapidly worsening condition . " the only thing I can give you is companionship , Chanhee . " He bitterly admitted .

 

 

Byunghun never understood how but Chanhee eventually managed to convince him to stay . He made it seem like he was the one that needed the younger and deep inside , Byunghun couldn't deny his heart what it wanted . Yes , his heart . In the end they fell in love . However , nothing lasts forever . Chanhee started to realize , when he took Byunghun out for a date , he had to be extremely careful with his choice . Cold weather didn't do the younger good . Neither did hot one . Neither crowded areas as Byunghun had breathing issues .


Whatever Chanhee tried to do ,  it just ended up a total failure .

 

 

And back we are , to the moment Chanhee was waiting outside the hospital room .

 

 


Why he has changed and started  neglecting Byunghun ?
At first he was like ..  I want to make Byunghun the happiest when he can still enjoy it ,  knowing his condition .
But then and as he realized ,  time was going to pass by any ways ..  if Byunghun was going to leave ..  one day ..  

He  could not afford to get any more attached ..
He started  like most people , wanting to make Byunghun happy before the time comes . But then ..


Then what ?


Suppose he did so , and spoiled Byunghun everyday ..
After the time comes ?
What was he gonna do ?
After Byunghun's gone .. ?


He was  confused and preferred to distance himself . Chanhee could already envision himself mourning over the younger  so he preferred to set all those thoughts aside including the original cause , namely ,  Byunghun .

 


But all that facade got thrown out of the window as he noticed the other's bitter expression . He got hurt was a terrible understatement . Chanhee felt like he got stabbed right in the gut as he witnessed Byunghun on the bed ,  his heart  probably shedding tears his eyes never did ..  The elder knew Byunghun had no one expect for him and he knew how much the younger hated to be helped in that sense .

 

 

That's why when he came late that night and Byunghun refused just titling his head to the other side , Chanhee knew the younger was hurt and his pride  prevented him from accepting help . After that , the elder carried the younger who resisted , protested even trying to get the other  to put him down . Byunghun knew ,  just as Chanhee did ,  that squirming about wouldn’t help yet he still did so trying to free himself from the elder's grasp . But it didn't take long for that squirming to turn into soft sobs muffled against Chanhee’s chest and fingers gripping on his shirt tightly .

 

 

Whenever Byunghun got so unhealthy ,  Chanhee would be harsh half thinking that this way he was making things easier and better ..  his grief over his own disability made him work late and distance himself from the younger in hopes of both , making it hurt less when the time comes and Byunghun catches his last breath supposedly  and for Byunghun himself . He didn't want to keep on giving mixed signals to the other because Chanhee knew how moody and short tempered he could get  and didn't want to treat the other  soft only to lash at him some other time   . It would only hurt him ..  Not to mention , he didn't want Byunghun to  get his hopes up . However , Chanhee knew he could only handle so much until he’d had enough .

 

 

He knew there  would inevitably  come a time when he would need to vent it . Doing so at work was out of question . He wouldn't just lash out at his manager or even work-mates , not even a stranger in the street . God knows what would happen if that stranger retaliated picking a fight with him . then he could go to jail for physical or even verbal abuse .. Which left only one person . The only one who would helplessly and gladly take it all without retaliating was none other Byunghun himself . And Chanhee truly despised himself for thinking like that . But he couldn’t help it .

 

 

After the last check up , the elder went back to his caring side again . Byunghun wouldn't lie . He truly appreciated every moment of it but .. for some reason , he wasn't happy . Perhaps he felt afraid .. that Chanhee would suddenly turn cold again And that Byunghun wouldn't handle . He just wouldn't . He didn't want to experience that ever again , getting broken then patched up only to get broken again .. He'd rather stay in shards .

 

 

 

 

◊♦    ◊♦     ◊♦    ◊♦    ◊♦    ◊♦    ◊♦    ◊♦     

 

 

 
 


Dread overtook his entire being , shock pulsating through every fiber in his body . It has been a few minutes since Byunghun woke up in that state . It's natural for guys to have wet dreams and wake up with an arousal . However , he was an exception .

Normal males would find it okay , some may feel a little bit ashamed but would  get over it and clean the mess in less than 10 minutes . Just a quick trip to the bathroom would be all it takes . And Byunghun could do that , alas not without help . He would take forever to move his numb body out of bed and all the way to the bathroom . To make it worse , the day happened to be when Chanhee would help him have a shower . He didn't want the said to see him in such taste , stained and dirtied in his own mess .. He didn't want to be any more of a burden .

 

At the notion of it all , a familiar sickening sensation coursed and twisted through his being eating him alive . The bile agitation shot up  and before he knew it , the breakfast laid  sprawled on the blanket covering his lap .


It took him full 10 seconds to register it . However it took him no time to feel his vision blurry , eyes stinging , breath hitching , gross after taste filling his lungs as did an equally unpleasant odor his nose .

 

Bleary eyes stared at his now doubled up mess .

His heart  could have stopped .

No.. No ... Not now ..

Moping around could wait ... He needed to fix whatever he could  before Chanhee came back home .


Looking around frantically , he tried locating any tissues , wipes or whatever for starters . He did find a pack of perfectly white tissues but they rested atop the bedside table , on the other side and though it was just  a few rolls away , it seemed like a whole continent away .. So far to his liking .. So far to his reach .

 

The pain that once haunted him ever since he woke up  intensified tenfold . He was tempted to spend the rest of his time drowning in tears but he couldn't .. He needed to fix it before .. Chanhee got back ..


With newfound resolution , he tried searching for anything long enough to fetch the pack of tissues with .. To his joy , his blurred eyes  landed on his own walking stick . Having been  forced to gulp , he tasted his own shame as he  leaned forward trying to reach the stick with the tips of his fingers .. Just some more ... Stretching further , he felt his finger touching it finally coming in contact with the stick . Sadly , it was also then that he realized how far he had leaned enough for him to lose his balance and fall ungracefully , colliding with the harsh floor .  Physical pain could not compare to his mental and emotional one ..

For a second he questioned the same thing he had been wondering about every day .

 

Whoever held power over heaven and hell , why was he to suffer this ?

Why must I go through this ??



His upper half  ached and lower one hung  awkwardly in between the softness of his bed and harshness of the floor Even a damned blanket held more power wrapping itself around his legs denying him release . In a sense it was choking him , he was neither fully lying  on bed nor fully resting on ground ..



Torn between two , nothing new .


One tug *


He tried breaking free


Yet one more *


No hope . No such luck came .

 

His stomach coiled around like he had performed an intense workout session as he tried to free himself to no avail so he just gave up . Throwing his head back , unable to take more of the muscle pain , he decided to lie down and let out the loudest possible sigh , laced with a hint of surrendering , a scream of complaint at how unfair it was .

 

 

Might as well just stay like this .. wallowing in my own misery .

 


He took a few ragged  breaths  , staring at the ceiling - not really aware of it for he was dazed  - .

 

 

A bitter lunatic - like chuckle resonated in the empty room . He had somehow got himself covered  in every bodily fluid possible .. , sweat , vomit ... Only blood was yet to be shed . He could not  reach the bathroom and do it all on time so he decided to just lock the chain attached to the front door .

 


That would hinder Chanhee . He thought in mock joy at the little achievement of his .

 
 

 

 

The said elder came back home twisting the keys but an opposite force met him . Confused , his eyebrows knitted and gaze landed at the silver chain in between the tiny creak of the door . His brain quickly formulated it , putting pieces together .  

 

 

The apartment belonged to him and Byunghun . Only them . If the younger feared intruders , he would just suffice with closing the door knowing that the only one besides him possessing the  keys was none but Chanhee .

 

However , to use the chain . It hit him like a brick wall . Byunghun was actually shutting him of all people , out ???

 


He knew if he tried to call The younger and ask him to open up whether literally or by phone , the said would not cooperate .  After all , if he were to , he wouldn’t have resorted to locking it in the first place . If he had any intention of letting Chanhee in , he wouldn't have done it .
 

 

Acting on instincts , Chanhee took a few steps  back before going forward with all of his force .  It took him few times before the door went wide open almost breaking free of its hinges slamming against the wall nearly creating a crack  , chain clattering and coming undone .

 

 

 

 

 

 

Image result for victorian line divider   

 

 

 

Words count : 3569

updated August 28 , 2016 . 

 

Cliff hanger HAHAHAHAhahahaha ~ 

 

I Might post a bonus about the time they fell in love in detail