The Empire

The Colourful You & The Colourless I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New York. U.S. August 2008. 

 

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Dressed in an electric blue, slim fit suit, a plain white shirt with two top buttons left open and pointy black shoes to complete his chic look, he is flaunting his handsomeness while sitting on a leather sofa in a bar. His sharp features seem relax, his bright brown eyes, glued on the TV screen in front of him as a beautiful smile is adorned on his pink lips. He takes a puff from his cigar and then moves his gaze from TV to his wrist watch that shows 20:30. He is waiting for someone. One could say that the background music compliments both the appearance and to some of his vibes.

 

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom in the trees you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

 

Soon, a tall handsome young boy in his mid twenties, rushes through the bar and in his direction. He throws his shoulder bag on the floor and flashes a toothy smile that can blind anyone present.

 

“Hello Hyung”

 

“Changmin-ah! You are late!”, says the man.

 

“Yunho Hyung, I have an exam in three days. I had to change three tubes to come here, in your specific bar. Of course I am late. I told you to meet me in the library but NO and now you complain?”

 

Yunho stares at his slightly mismatching eyes for a moment before he points to the sofa in front of him. Changmin sits on the sofa with a thud, still looking like he has been mistreated to death. Yunho gestures to the waitress who has been staring at him this whole time, to finally come and take their order. She almost comes running and takes the order. When she leaves, Changmin looks at Yunho as if he could not believe what just happened.

 

“Hyuuuuung? Why a beer and a wine? I am like about to faint because I am starving”

 

“When are you NOT starving, Changmin?”, asks Yunho.

 

“Well, that is a fair point but still hyung...”, he looks at Yunho who puts his cigar in the ashtray and then continues. “You might be able to live on happiness because you are going back home but I am a mere human. I need food”.

 

Yunho smiles bitterly on his comment, “Happy? Happiness is such a tiny word in comparison to what I am feeling right now, dongseng-ah. I have missed it like hell”. Changmin smiles sympathetically at him.

 

Everything that we posses, wish or dream of in this world, has a price that some of us or the generations previous to us have paid for. The wealth or royalty that some of us inherit has a history that holds, uncountable sacrifices, sweat, tears and blood of one or many before us. The bigger the title, the higher is the price. Unfair. That is why, it does not even matter if we wished for certain glories, statuses or surnames or not. If they are bestowed upon us, we have to carry them, maintain them and keep on paying the price until someone else can take over. Being an heir means carrying the weight of such tearful and bloody history, with pride and without any complain. Even if it means to disregard your own personal dreams, wishes, identity and pride. Even if it means to sacrifice one's own freedom, loved ones or their own dear self...

If Yunho was only an ordinary Jung, Yunho, he would not have been caught to pay the price compared to the height of Himalayas. However, he is The Jung, Yunho, the only heir of the Jung's pride, called The Empire and empires were never built easily. It took three generations before him to build The Empire, making sure to stand where it is today: The multinational company that owns everything you can think of in South Korea, from construction, architecture to entertainment companies, from shopping malls, hospitals, schools, colleges to newspapers, TV channels and fashion magazines. They hold shares in several banks and have great involvement in country's politics. His grand father has been honoured with a national award for his hard work and contribution that has created hundreds of thousands work places, creating a great impact on country's economy, culture and society.

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

 

The waitress arrives back with the drinks. She leans rather closer than usual towards Yunho while putting them on the table. Changmin notices that while Yunho remains oblivious to it.

 

“I think more than missing Korea, you missed her?”, Changmin adds.

 

“I did”, Yunho confirms nodding. Changmin looks at his hyung with millions of questions written in his eyes. He is worried. He is genuinely worried for him.

 

“Hyung, are you sure that you are OK now? You can stay more if you want. Are you sure that you are not rushing?”

 

“Aigoo! Is my baby brother worried for me now?”

 

“YAH HYUUUNG”, Changmin screams as if being worried for his hyung is all the sudden something to regret. “I am being seriously, seriously, really seriously concerned here and you are making fun of me”.

 

Yunho shakes his wine glass in a circular motion before he takes a sip. With a little push with his beautiful piano fingers, he places the glass on its previous place.

 

“Changmin-ah!”, he calls his dongseng who looks quite adorable, sulking and drinking his beer. “Hyung loves you”, he utters the words ever so softly.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Me too”, says Changmin feeling the warmth of the words that are said and meant to him. Still, it does not stop him from rolling his eyes.

He knows that his hyung loves him. There has been countless moments where he really wished he could be his real brother or if he could switch place with him. However, being Choikang is different to being a Jung. Choikangs' are one of the many other important business partners and shareholders of the Jungs'. Yunho and Changmin's fathers have been friends since college and that is how Yunho and Changmin became friends.

 

He could still remember th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter