Prologue - Abandoned

A Love Measured with Fairy Dust

 

A child's pov:

 

It was a rainy spring day. The water drops hit my small body like it was playing the drums and the breeze made me tremble.

My knees were pulled up, feet in the muddy ground and eyes staring blankly in front of me.

How many days has it been since I ate? One day, two days, three days? A week? I couldn't remember because I had no idea how slow or fast the time was flowing anymore.

A sound made me lift my head, meeting my dad. He wasn't old, maybe in his late twenties or early thirties. But the color of his hair was dull, his eyes droopy and his face covered in facial hair. 

One feet and then the other, dragging the second one with him, his back bended and neck pushed in his shoulders.

"Why are you still here?" he asked, his voice was low and frustrated.

I didn't answer, busy to scan his body to find, just maybe, a piece of food.

"Don't look at me like that!" he growled unhappy. "I have no food for you!" 

Disappointed I looked away, continuing to let the rain drench me. There was no difference between sitting in the rain or inside the 'house'. The roof had many holes and the wooden walls were close to falling apart, unsteady in the wind.

Dad gave me a glance before entering the house that I was forced to call my home. Rummaging around, he finally stepped out in the rain again, his hand holding a small bag.

"Where are you going?" I asked, wondering why he would take the only bag in the house outside. 

"If you're not leaving, I am." he hissed, passing me.

A sudden wave of panic hit me and I jumped up, the rain washing away the mud on my body. My short legs brought me to the man that was my dad, pulling on his arm.

He shook me off like I was some kind of bug, his glare making me take a step back.

"There is no food. I haven't eaten for days and I have to come back here to find you asking for something to eat!" he spat. "I don't have the energy to take care of you."

My heartbeat accelerated, head shaking.

"Don't leave me, dad!" I begged, pulling on his shirt some more.

"Enough! I rather live than die together." he growled, pushing me on the ground before walking away.

Why would he leave me? Am I not his daughter?

I couldn't understand why my dad would leave me, a four years old child, to fend for herself, to survive all on her own.

Will I die today? Tomorrow?

 


 

Author's note:

This is a prologue of the story!

Hope you enjoyed reading

Please subscribe, comments are very much welcomed!