I Like You

Sweet Surprise

It’s been about a month since Jonghyun started dropping off Taemin at the daycare center. If it wasn’t for the chance to see the cute daycare teacher, then he probably wouldn’t have had the energy to wake up every morning. Jonghyun thinks he has waited long enough. He really wants to ask Kibum out, but the only problem is that every chance he gets, it’s ruined. The first time he tried asking Kibum out was when he coincidentally dropped off Taemin too early and had some time to spare. He had a whole speech planned out, but when Kibum asked how his morning was, he immediately froze. Luckily for him, more children seemed to arrive and Kibum had to apologize before he left to greet the rest of his students and their parents. The second time, Jonghyun bought flowers for Kibum, but decides it’s a little too extreme and throws the flowers away before he embarrasses himself any further. By his fifth attempt, Jonghyun began to grow frustrated and decides he’s had enough. Today was the day he would ask Kibum out.  


“Why hasn’t he asked me out?” Kibum groaned, trying not to make a scene in front of the daycare center.

Kibum smacks Minho’s arm. “Yah! Minho are you paying attention to me?!”

Minho yawns. “It’s too early for this Kibum. Can’t you see that I’m actually trying to do my job here?”

Kibum frowns. “Minho, I really like him, but I don’t even think he wants to look at me. Every time I talk to him, he avoids eye contact as much as possible. Am I that ugly? This is really killing my self-esteem.”

Minho pats Kibum’s head. “He’s into you, trust me. He always looks at you with so much fondness when you aren’t looking, it almost makes me sick. Why not make the first move since you’re so tired of waiting for him to ask you out?”

“I can’t do that.”

“And why is that?”

“I’m too shy,” Kibum says, trying to avoid meeting Minho’s eyes.

Suddenly, Kibum looks up to see Minho laughing a little too loud for his liking, which only angers him.

“Fine! I’m not technically shy, I just don’t know how to do it without coming off too strong. What if I scare him away?”

“Just ask him when he comes in. There is no way he’d say no. It’s obvious that he likes you way too much to say anything along those lines.”

Kibum rolls his eyes. “Wow, thanks for the advice Minho! Who knew asking was so easy?” It’s not like Minho meant any harm, but he couldn’t help but be hurt. He only continued to feel worse for not being able to properly ask Jonghyun out.

Minho smiled and rubbed Kibum’s head before he walked away to the children again.


"Taemin-goon, would you like a piece of cake?" 

"Cake?" 

"Yeah."

"Cake!" Taemin yells, causing his small blue hat to almost fall off. Jonghyun quickly fixes it. 

Jonghyun decided to make a quick stop near a coffee shop before he drops Taemin off at the daycare center today. He decided that today was the day he would finally ask Kibum out, but he wanted it to be nicer than any of his previous attempts, including those of his past relationships. He didn't know why it was so hard to ask Kibum out, it was normally never this hard. It was natural to be nervous, but he was always able to ask the other person by his first attempt. 

As he opens the coffee shop door, the bell rings, letting the employees know of his arrival.

“Hello!” A voice from the counter is heard.

Jonghyun makes his way towards the counter and sets Taemin down as he orders.

The employee walks up to the counter and wipes his hands on his brown apron before tapping the screen in front of him.

“Hi, my name is Minseok. What can I get for you today?”

“Two coffees please.”

“Will that be all?”

“Oh, can I also get a small piece of cake?”

"Sure thing! Jongdae, two coffees," The employee named Minseok says as he makes his way to the pastries to grab a small piece of chocolate cake.

All of a sudden Jonghyun realizes what he's about to do. It hits him all at once. He's about to ask out Kibum. He's so nervous he might puke. 

"Are you okay?"

"Huh?" Jonghyun says, coming back to reality.

"You just seem really sick," Minseok says with worry on his face.

"Ah, I'm fine. I'm just about to ask someone out." 

The young man’s face lights up. "Oh really?! How exciting! I can only imagine how nervous you'd be. I can’t tell you how hard it was to ask my boyfriend out." 

"Boyfriend?"

Minseok quickly realizes that the man in front of him doesn’t know Jongdae. "Ah, his name is Jongdae. He's really clueless at times. He didn't realize I liked him until I kissed him one night while we were watching a movie. He was quite shocked. Honestly, I thought he would push me away, but he kissed me back." Minseok smiles as he recalls the memory. "We eventually moved in together and opened up a coffee shop right under our home. We don't often get customers, but we don’t mind. Customers are always welcomed though. Ah, sorry I talk a lot." He shyly stops.

Jonghyun smiles at the nice barista. "It's fine. I actually feel a bit better about asking him out."

"Well, whoever it is, I'm sure they'll say yes. You're definitely not ugly and anyone who says no must be crazy. Don't tell Jongdae I said that though, he won't let me live if he finds out." Minseok quietly whispers the last part.

"What was that?" Jongdae whispered behind Minseok's ear.

"Here's your two coffees sir." Jongdae says through gritted teeth as he wraps his arm around his husband’s waist and sets the coffees on the counters.

"Jongdae stop being jealous. I'm married to you, remember?"

"Yeah, for now I guess."

Minseok eyes Jongdae, who now has his head on his shoulder. "For now?"

"What if this guy steals you away?" Jongdae pouts and Minseok can't help but think he's cute.

"I'm just trying to help the guy out. He's thinking about asking someone out."

"Oh… well in that case, you came just to the right guy!" Jongdae smiles at Jonghyun.

"More like the worst guy. You're forgetting that I made the first move, not you." 

"Anyways, good luck. If you're ever looking for a place to go on a date, don't hesitate to stop by," Jongdae says as he winks at Jonghyun. Minseok punches him in the stomach. "Why are you winking at him when you didn't even let me talk to him without getting jealous?!"

Jonghyun laughs, this couple is really odd he thinks. They both stare at Jonghyun.

"Thank you, I think I have enough energy to ask him out now. Come on Taemin, let's go," Jonghyun says as Taemin happily walks up to Jonghyun. Jonghyun hands taemin the small box with a slice of cake in it while he takes two coffees in his hand.

"Thanks again." 

"Anytime, good luck!" Minseok and Jongdae say as they wave goodbye.


"Uncle, why do you have two drinks?" Taemin asks, swinging his desert in his hand.

"I'm going to ask your teacher out."

Suddenly, Jonghyun notices the huge smile on Taemin's face.

"Does that mean Key will visit me too?!"

Jonghyun smiles. Taemin must really like his teachers.

"Yup."

Taemin starts jumping as they get closer to the daycare. If Kibum says no, then he really doesn't know how he'll ever approach the daycare center again.

Suddenly, Jonghyun starts to worry again.

Does he even like coffee? Did I get the wrong kind? What if it's too bitter? What if he doesn't like his coffee sweet? I'm an idiot. 

Once they arrive at the daycare center Jonghyun feels like leaving Taemin right outside the entrance while he runs and throws the coffees away.

"Teacher key!" Taemin says as he runs with his small box towards Kibum.

Kibum smiles and picks Taemin up. "Hi Taeminnie, what's this?"

"It's my cake!"

"Cake?"

"Yes!"

Kibum looks up to see Jonghyun approaching them. Suddenly Kibum's wondering why Jonghyun has his hands behind his back.

"Hey," Jonghyun says softly, "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Yeah sure, is everything alright?" Kibum asks with a worried expression on his face.

"Yeah, I just need to ask you something." Jonghyun forcibly smiles.

Kibum sets Taemin down. Suddenly, a couple of kids are screaming and one kid accidentally bumps into Jonghyun, causing Jonghyun to spill all the coffee on his back.

"Sorry mister," A small boy says. 

"Chanyeol, what did I say about running in class!" Minho says from across the room.

"That it's not allowed and that we can only run outside during recess," The small kid says and shyly ducking his head.

"Sorry about th- oh," Minho says as he looks at the mess behind Jonghyun's back, cups now on the ground.

Jonghyun groans and shoves his head onto his hands. "Why did this day just become the worst day of my life?"

 "Jonghyun are you okay? Is that why you had your hands behind your back?" Kibum asks.

"Don't worry about the mess, I'll clean it up. You can use the daycare's restroom to clean yourself up. It's just down the hall," Minho says as he points to the direction of the restroom.

"Thank you, I'll get out of your way," Jonghyun says as he quickly makes his way out.

"Jonghyun wai-"

Kibum sighs as he realizes Jonghyun is already gone.

"Go help him."

"Huh?"

"Go! Here take this with you," Minho says, as he throws one of the daycare’s shirts his way.

Kibum catches it and quickly runs. He heads to the small restroom and notices that the door is still open.

"Jonghyun, are you okay?" Kibum asks, eyes going wide as he sees the sight in front of him. Jonghyun has his white t-shirt off, while he washes it in the sink. Kibum can’t help but notice how muscular Jonghyun is underneath, however he’s quickly taken out of his thoughts once Jonghyun shouts his name.

"Kibum!" Jonghyun says startled and quickly tries to cover his chest with his arms. 

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to help," He says as he looks down, ears turning red. He takes his hand out, shirt now in the air.

Jonghyun turns off the sink. 

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to make a mess," Jonghyun says, taking the shirt.

"Huh? Oh, it's fine. The daycare children have done much worse, trust me.”

Jonghyun sighs, "Kibum, I'm sorry."

Kibum nervously smiles, afraid of what Jonghyun may say next. 

"For what?"

"For everything."

Kibum approaches Jonghyun, they're now standing near the sink together.

"What?"

"I bought you coffee. I wanted to ask you out, but I was so nervous that I only managed to make a mess. Kibum, I really like you. God, I really really like you and I've liked you since the first day I met you. You're so breathtakingly beautiful and you're just the sweetest and greatest person I have ever met."

Jonghyun sighs as he lowers his head. He rubs his neck, still looking at the ground. "If you don't feel the same way, I'll understand."

Kibum walks in front of Jonghyun until there is no space left in between them.

"You're cute," Kibum says as tilts Jonghyun's head to look at him and slightly leans down to kiss him. Jonghyun’s eyes widen, but he quickly melts into the kiss. A soft sound escapes his mouth as Kibum presses his body against the sink. He wraps his arms around Kibum’s neck.

"Shouldn't you ask me out on a date first before we start making out?"

"Do you want to go out on a date with me sometime?" Jonghyun asks in between breaths as he continues to kiss Kibum.

Kibum smiles. "Yeah I'd like that."

Kibum then puts his hand on Jonghyun’s chest and slightly pushes back.

Kibum grabs a piece of paper and a pen from his baby blue apron before quickly writing down his number and handing it to Jonghyun. "I'll see you later alright." 

"Yeah." Jonghyun says as he's left sitting on the restroom sink, touching his lips. He’s smiling so hard he feels like his heart is going to burst. He quickly puts on the brand new shirt Kibum gave him and heads out before anyone else sees him. 


Kibum walks back into the classroom. He can't help but grin, he's been waiting for this day since the day Jonghyun walked in his life. 

"He asked you didn't he?" Minho said smiling.

Kibum’s eyes widen at the question."How do you know?!"

"Taemin told me." Minho flatly states as he points to Taemin who's stepping on the paper towels on the once wet spot. Taemin stops and runs until he's standing in front of Kibum.

"Does that mean you'll come and visit me with uncle Jjong?!" Taemin asks while smiling brightly. 

"Of course I will Taeminnie!" Kibum says, picking Taemin up.

Minho gives Kibum a strange look. "Something else happened, didn't it?"

"N-no!" Kibum says trying his best to avoid eye contact with his best friend.

"You made out with him!"

"Minho we are near children. Watch your manners. Even if I did, which I'm not saying I did, but also not saying I didn’t. It shouldn't matter to you."

"Whatever, just finish cleaning up this mess," Minho says as he walks to the kids playing near the carpet. 


I'm sorry for such a late update, a lot of things just happened to come up. I also had a writer's block for a couple of weeks, but I didn't want to give up on the story. It may take some time for me to finish it because I'm currently busy with school, but I won't give up on this story. Thank you so much for having patience with me. I have part of the next chapter written, so I'll try to finish and edit it as soon as I can.