Just Friends

Sweet Surprise

I went over this so many times. There is probably still some mistakes, but my laptop is dying and I have to go to sleep. I probably won't post a new chapter until Friday, but for now I hope you enjoy reading this. 


"Lee Jinki!" Jonghyun yells, heading upstairs and into Jinki's bedroom. It was around 3 AM, but Jonghyun really didn't have the time to care about showing up so late at Jinki's home. Then again, he always showed up at the most random times. 

"You could have called you know. Taemin is asleep." Jinki says, looking moody due to the sudden interruption of his sleep. 

Jonghyun ignored him and continued, "I've been informed that I will be dropping Taemin off every morning at the daycare center." 

"Oh..." Jinki says, falling silent.

"’Oh?’ Geez Jinki, you could have at least told me. I'm not that bad of a friend."

"Yes, you are." Jinki said, not hesitating at his own words.

Jonghyun pouts, making Jinki laugh.

"Okay, I'm kidding. I was going to talk to you about that, but I guess I forgot." Jinki says, faking a smile.

"I'm actually the best, because,” Jonghyun paused for dramatic effect, “from now on, I'll drop off Taemin for you every morning at the daycare center! And here you were calling me a bad friend." 

Jinki eyes Jonghyun before saying, "Alright, you'd normally at least put up a fight. What's the catch?"

"No catch, just kindness."

"Wow, for once Kim Jonghyun is being nice to me?" Jinki says sarcastically.

"Yes, now let me sleep over, I don't want to drive back home."

"The couch is all yours." 

"God you're so cruel, at least let me share your bed with you."

"It's called ‘my bed’ for a reason." 

"I don't get it. Anyways, I'm sleeping with you today." Jonghyun says, not even waiting for Jinki to comply before he's already on his bed.

Jinki groans, "Fine, just don't kick me or I'll kick you out."

"Goodnight Jinki!"


The next morning Jonghyun wakes up to the sound of Jinki falling off of his bed. Jinki falls face flat and groans in pain, “If I wasn’t so sleepy, I’d kill you Jonghyun.”

“No you wouldn’t.”

“Whatever, I guess I can start heading to the shower and get ready for work now.”

“Why are you always in a rush, doesn’t the library open until 8:00 AM? It’s only 6:30 AM.”

“I think you’re forgetting that the library is about a 30-minute walk from my place. I have to be there early to help the librarian with setting up for the day.”

“I could drive you there you know.”

“Then who would drop off Taemin at the daycare center and help him get ready?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that,” Jonghyun laughs, “You know, I can always ask my mom to look after Taemin for you.”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“I don’t want to be a burden to your mother. I don’t want anyone else to have to suffer because of me.”

“Jinki.” Jonghyun says, frowning at his friend’s words.

But before he can say anything else, Jinki beats him to it.

“Listen, I’m sorry for everything I put you through. Just please give me about a month, and I’ll have everything intact. Just, right now, I really need your help.” Jinki says, sitting next to Jonghyun on his bed, shoving his head into his hands, but quickly lifts his head up and smiles. Jonghyun knows Jinki’s not a robot, but he surely likes to act the role of not having many emotions. Jinki doesn’t talk much about his issues, but when he does, Jonghyun wishes Jinki was a robot. Maybe then he wouldn’t have to see his friend in so much pain, he can’t stand seeing his best friend down.

“You aren’t a burden Jinki. I’m sure if I was in your place, you’d help just as much, if not double. Besides, Taemin is a blast to hang out with and I guess you’re alright.”

Jinki laughs and punches Jonghyun softly on the arm. He’s really glad they’re friends.


It’s Sunday afternoon and Minho and Kibum are spending their last hours at their shared apartment before the week commences once again.

“How are you handling the daycare center, everything alright? I’ll start helping out more often once the semester is over.” Kibum says.

“It’s fine, could be better, but I don’t really mind it. Mostly because Taemin keeps me company while he waits for his father to pick him up.” Minho says.

Kibum rises from the couch he was laying on, eyeing Minho, who was at the kitchen, back faced towards Kibum as he made himself dinner.

“Oh, how’s that? Is he hot?”

“Excuse me?”

“Is Taemin’s dad hot? Is he single? It’s been a while since you’ve gotten laid.”

“He’s single, but you know I don’t date or even sleep with our single clients.”

“So… if he wasn’t Taemin’s dad, but you happened to see him at the store or something, you’d totally sleep with him?” Kibum smirks.

“That’s not what I meant.” Minho sighs.

“Anyways, you didn’t answer my earlier question about him being hot or not.” Kibum says.

 “Yeah, he’s hot.” Minho says blankly, paying more attention to his omelet on the pan he’s holding onto than the question itself. So what if he thinks Taemin’s dad is hot, it’s not like he’s going to sleep with him.

“So you like him?”

“He’s just hot. I don’t even know him that well, we just recently became friends.” Minho says, making his way to the table.

“What about you, any ‘hot’ guys at the college you’re attending?” Minho asks.

“Well, not at the college, but there is this one guy at the daycare center. His name is Jonghyun.” Kibum says shyly.

“Jonghyun?”

“It’s the person that has been dropping Taemin off at the daycare center every day for the past week now.” Kibum happily says.

“Aigoo, so that’s his name! No wonder you giggle like a school girl every time you talk to him.”

“You knew? And I don’t giggle like a school girl!” Kibum defended.

“I mean it was pretty obvious, plus I know you too well Kibum. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn’t?” Minho said, smiling when he sees his roommate blush.

“So are you going to ask him out?” Minho asks.

“I can’t, I don’t even know if he’s into men, let alone into someone like me.”

“Someone like you?” Minho says, eyeing his roommate.

“Yeah, someone amazing and outgoing.” Kibum says.

“Should’ve known.” Minho mumbles and resumes eating.

“You’re pretty cool with Taemin’s dad right?”

“Again, it’s only been a week.”

“Anyways, can you ask him about Jonghyun and his relationship with him?”

“No.” Minho says, stuffing his face with his dinner.

“Why not? Come on, I’d do the same for you if you were in my place. I just want to make sure they aren’t a thing and accidently be lead on.”

Kibum would do the same for him, but he’s not just going to ask someone about their relationship with someone else.

“Please, please, please, please, please, ple-”

Minho sighs, “Fine, just let me eat in peace.”


The next day as Jinki is heading towards the daycare center, he decides to stop near the chicken shop first.

“Daddy!” Taemin says, making Minho look up from where he was sitting, interrupted about his deep discussion with Taemin about what ice-cream flavor was the best. They couldn’t come to an agreement.

“Is that for me?” Taemin asks.

Looking at his pouting son, Jinki says, “Sorry Taeminnie, this is for your teacher. We can stop by the shop on the way home if you’d like?”

“For me?” Minho says in surprise.

“Ah, I saw a chicken shop on the way and I finally got my first paycheck. I’m sorry, I hope you like chicken, it’s fried,” Jinki smiles shyly, “You don’t have to acce-”

Minho can’t help but think that Mr. Lee is really cute.

“Thank you Mr. Lee.”

Jinki smiles.

“Jinki, you can call me Jinki.”

“Thank you Jinki.”

All of a sudden, Taemin’s stomach growls.

“Would you like to share?” Minho asks. He really didn’t plan for this to happen, but he couldn’t help but ask. “What I mean is that this is awfully a lot of chicken, and I don’t mind sharing.”

“Please daddy!” Taemin begs.

Before Jinki can say yes, his stomach growls as well. Now they’re currently sitting down at the daycare center eating chicken, and Minho thinks that this may be his only chance to ask about Jonghyun.

“Thank you. Thank you for doing all this, especially for a stranger like me.”

“Ah, it’s fine, I love kids. I really don’t mind at all.”

Suddenly Minho chuckles, “Um Jinki, you have a piece of chicken on the side of your face.”

 “Ah, sorry.” Jinki says, quickly swiping his face with a napkin.

"Aigoo, how cute." Minho says, earning him a blush from Jinki. 

"Thank you." Taemin says. He continues to shove food into his tiny mouth, managing to get it all over his cheeks in the process.

Minho and Jinki laugh. "Of course you're cute, you're my son." Jinki says.

Minho and Jinki talk for about thirty minutes, while Taemin eats.

Suddenly, Jinki’s phone vibrates. As he stares at his phone screen, he notices that Jonghyun texted him, asking him where he’s at.

“Is everything okay?” Minho asks.

“It’s just my friend, Jonghyun, he’s just wondering where I am right now. I forgot I told him we’d hangout with him on his day off.” Jinki tells Minho.

“Oh, is that the person who drops Taemin off every morning?” Minho asks, even though he knows it’s him.

“Yeah, that’s him. He’s my best friend and Taemin’s uncle. We aren’t related or anything, he just likes to proudly announce that he’s Taemin’s uncle to the world.”

Jinki suddenly can’t help but smile. He really appreciates Jonghyun, even if he can be a pain sometimes.

Minho notices the smile on Jinki’s face and thinks that since the topic of Jonghyun is in place, he might as well ask now if he’s single before he doesn’t have the chance to do so ever again.

“Is Jonghyun single?” Going by the confused look on Jinki’s face, Minho immediately comes to the realization that it was probably not the best way to bring up the question, so before he makes it any worse, he tries to clarify.

“I mean, I’m asking for my friend, Kibum,” Minho sighs, “My friend Kibum, he sees Jonghyun every morning. He’s taken quite a liking to him, so I’m asking if he’s single because my friend is really into him, and I don’t want to see him get hurt.”

Suddenly Jinki is laughing and now Minho is the one left in confusion.

“Now I know why Jonghyun was so willing to drop off Taemin every morning,” He says in between breaths, “And here I thought he was being nice for once.”

Jinki mentions that Jonghyun is single and is most likely into Minho’s friend because there really isn’t any other reason he would drop off Taemin in a heartbeat, even if he loves the kid to death.

Minho feels relieved.

“Jonghyun is twenty-six, he can act like he’s 5, but I promise you he’s a great guy.” Jinki says.

“I know what you mean. Kibum is twenty-four, but he can act younger than me at times even though he’s older by a couple of months. Sometimes I feel like his father.” Minho says.

“Jonghyun likes to tell me I’m old even though I’m twenty-seven. I guess he’s not entirely wrong, but I’d like to think I’m still pretty young.”

Minho and Jinki both laugh.

“Jinki?!”

At the sound of his name, Jinki looks up to see Jonghyun standing near the door.

“Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun scans the daycare, “This is pretty nice for a daycare. Wow Jinki, I can see why you haven’t been home! He’s pretty cute, is he your boyfriend?”

Jinki’s face turns a deep shade of red, while Minho laughs.

“My name is Minho, I work at the daycare. I’ve seen you around in the mornings, but haven’t really gotten the chance to introduce myself. Kibum usually does most of the talking, so I don’t really have to.” He laughs shyly, extending a hand for Jonghyun to shake.

The sun begins to set and a couple of minutes later, Jinki and Jonghyun make their way out of the daycare center. Jonghyun can’t help but smile at Jinki.

Jinki should’ve expected this. He should’ve just told Jonghyun that he had to stay late at the library, but that’s a poor excuse and he knows it.

“So?” Jonghyun starts, nudging Jinki while he carries a sleeping Taemin on his back.

“What?” Jinki asks, looking straight ahead.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

“Jonghyun, I’m not 5 and neither are you.” Jinki walks ahead, avoiding Jonghyun’s questions as much as possible before he reveals anything he may regret.

“You’re so into him.”

Jinki stops walking, “Jonghyun, let’s not talk about this.”

“Geez, why are you mad? I was just teasing you!” Jonghyun laughs, but then immediately stops when he notices that no reaction is coming from his best friend.

Then he sees it. Jinki is blushing.

“Hey Jinki, I’m sorry it was a joke. If you’re interested in him, why not ask him out?”

“I can’t Jonghyun.” Jinki says, looking down.

Jonghyun frowns.

“He’s a great guy, but I’m scared to make any sort of move. I just don’t want to ruin this. Besides, I think we are becoming good friends. Taemin surely thinks so, he said so himself.” Jinki smiles and Jonghyun decides not to push it any further.

Suddenly Jinki stops in his tracks and turns to face Jonghyun.

“So, who’s Kibum?” Jinki asks, not able to contain the grin spreading across his face.

Now it’s Jonghyun’s turn to turn red.

“A friend.”  

“You mean the daycare teacher, right?” Jinki asks Jonghyun.

“Of course, we just happened to become friends recently.”

“Is that so?” Jinki says, not believing that his best friend isn’t developing some type of interest in one of his son’s teachers.

“Am I not allowed to have friends?” Jonghyun asks in defense.

Jinki then laughs, and they decide to drop the conversation.