Relatives

Stammi Piu Vicino

The rush of the broom swept the fallen leave reach Hayi ears. Her neighbourhood begin their activity. She had a good sleep last night, her first job in the office was chaos. She had to receive all the schedule, all the ambassador product, save all the important phone number and she had to know all the stuff member. Hayi also was Jawon stylist. Hayi was reach, Hayi knew all the trend fashion lately, even the price of them, Hayi was not a stranger in the fashion style. It made her double busy.

Hayi was sat in her house terrace, she lived on the rooftop. Under her house there is a big house whose the owner was so kind to Hayi. Apparently Hayi should pay the rent of her house to her. Hayi lived in a village not crowd but very friendly, all the neighbourhood was very nice. Every vacation like Sunday sometimes they had lunch together, only some neighbourhood. Even so, Hayi missed her old house more than anything.

Hayi had a day off, before all the chaos tomorrow. Her CEO gave her this as ‘gift’ for enrolling this job. The summer morning was so bright, yet so warm it was not yet a mid-day, the hit would burn your head.

“Unni!” Yell a teenage girl from down, her head turned down as a respond. Hayi knew the voice it was familiar. Loud, yet so clear. Lee Sohyun.

“Mm?” Hayi answered her. Sohyun brother and Hayi was a buddy. They always visit Hayi’s house for singing together, Suhyun has really sweet voice, she practice with Hayi sometimes. Hayi was really good at Piano. She taugh her sometimes when she had day off. Sohyun brother was guitar prodigy. Sohyun wanted to be a singer, so had through several audition but failed, even so she would not give up. She keep practicing.

“Do you get the job?” Lee Sohyun did not know what Job she signed for, no matter what was it, but the idea of Hayi would be busy will make her uncomfortable. But she play cool about it because it would be mean not to hope someone get a job.

“I am so sorry Sohyun, but yes.” She smiled so evil, knew that this was not Sohyun wanted. Sohyun always said to her to sign for Job in the place where her brother was, it was on an accountant office. Hayi was so blind about those all.

“I am happy to hear it though.” She showed bitter smile. “Good morning.” She then walked, so slow with head down.

“Hey! Don’t worry, I will keep teaching you my day off was unsure.” Sohyun smiled so bright again. Hayi would not make a student had a bad mood on the beginning of school, it will break her mood all day. So she had to make a promise, even she should say that she also ‘unsure’.

::::::::::

00:00 AM

When the city were so quite by the dark on the sky, when the moon surrounded by thousands of stars, when the wind blew so calm, all the lights were off and the snoring sound could be heard. When you rest your back on your bed after all the hectic day. When you were in the dreamland when you met a talking bear. Hayis phone was ringing.

Hayi woke up from her dreamland, she gasped by the sound of her ringtone from her phone next to her, who would called her in the mid night. She did not like that at all, not by the idea that her sleep would be disturbed, but the feeling of midnight call was somehow gave strange chill for her. It was a new number and she did not want to pick it, it rather scary and curious. Hayi let it ring all day. She made it silence and went back to sleep.

Her phone rang for tree times, Hayi still hesitated to answer it, but she collect her guts and answer the phone, it probably important.

“Hello?” With unclear voice she speak.

“Lee Hayi, I called you so many times.” The voice was so clear and little bit loud, from the tone of his voice, he probably mad. “You should answer my phone a second after it rings.” Hayi then recognise this voice, the voice that used to whisper on her ear, two years of lost contact does not make her forget everything about him. It was his obviously his. Jung Jaewon.

Hayi gasped by the shocked, she keep all the important number but his, it was so silly she guess. “Oh, I am so sorry.” Hayi apologised with sincere.

“Just it? Ask me what I want!” He was so different, Hayi thought he never yell at her like that, only when Hayi was so rebel that she would not obey what Jaewon said for her good sake. It made Hayi thought that that was Jung Jaewon he knew. Then he realise that the Jung Jaweon she knew was lost beneath her scars and bruised, all the pain she endure.

“What do you want?” Hayi asked with slow tone, she was talking with someone who she worked with, not someone she once used to know. She respect him like a boss. Because she worked for him.

“Good, so I want you to take a note what will you bring to my house tomorrow before we go to my schedule place.” Hayi pursed her eyebrow, why on earth someone will ruined a person dream just to note all he wanted. He could just message her.

“It is not even tomorrow yet, and I worked for you begin tomorrow.”

“Oh, forgive me silly, but look at your watch it midnight pass ten, which mean already to~mo~rr~ow~~!” He talked with such annoying tone that made Hayi would threw off her phone at anywhere, but she should endure it.

“Just message me then what you need, I’ll bring it tomorrow.”

“No, I don’t want to do that. Take your note and write down what I said.” And so the hell of Hayi began.

::::::::::

Hayi looked at her watch several times. She was waiting for a barista made her coffee and called her. But a minute was like ten minutes for her, she shake her feet from nervous. After she got her coffee she had to enter Jaewon shop ambassador for a snapback and after that went to a cafe to get Jawon favourite roll cake. She did with rush. She was late.

Hayi finally get to press the doorbell after all the sweat she shed. Her shoulder moved up and down for heavy breathing. She waited in front of the door for five minutes then suddenly the door open.

It was the first time Hayi and Jawon met again after the accident. Hayi really remember the tall of Jaewon that she had to move her head up to look at him. He still charming like always. Then the school boy Jaewon suddenly in Hayi’s flesh, how Jaewon was not that charming before, and he was not that popular either but he got couple of friends. When he made into entertainment business he changed, and Hayi was there, Hayi was there when Jung Jaewon transformed into a charming boy.

It also the first time for Jawon, then for a second, he would drown into the sparkle eyes Hayi got, and remember when Hayi always there for him, stood for him support all his decision because Hayi knew that Jaewon never made a wrong decision because he knew Jaewon too well that he always be the brigh person she ever met. The one that always get the wrong choice was Hayi, Jaewon remember how he would die for laughter because Hayi always so silly and made a decision based on her temporary feelings, not because she thought all for it very wise. But Jaewon will be there for her to rescue her, but then laugh for her after.

Jaewon was silenced after Hayi cleared , Hayi back to her sense very quick. Not like Jaewon. His pupil shake for nervous but he hid it well. He let Hayi entered her house without looked at her, and made ‘I don’t care’ face like always.

Hayi looked around before he sat, it was quote huge apartment for living by yourself. Hayi sat like lost kid, did not know what she had to do. Jaewon back to her room for taking a shirt. He realised that she was lost, he watched her back from behind.

“What my schedule today?” He begin their professional relationship. Hayi gasped by the sudden voice from behind and looked at him. She just realised that he wore a simple jeans with rips on the knees and a maroon t shirt with maroon sneakers.

“Ah, we will shoot a commercial at 10 AM and after lunch we had Photo shoot and we had interview at afternoon. You free at night.” Hayi made a straight face while face him, she try hard to recall Jaewon schedule today.

“Good, my coffe?”

“Ow,” She took the coffee on the table, the coffee which turned cold because she bought it first before the other items Jaweon told Hayi to buy.

Jaewon took that cup, than he pursed his eyebrow. Hayi also did the same after saw Jawon expression. “It’s cold already.” So Hayi understand that expression, it was unpleasant expression after all.

“I am so sorry, I have to buy it first before else.”

“Why did you buy it first? Don’t you think that it might get cold?” Jaewon was so cold, he spoke with firm expression.

“The coffee shop you wanted is near to my house, and I have to ride a bus, I could not back anymore because I might late.”

“Why did you ride a bus? You could use a taxi.”

“I don’t have enough money to pay.”

“Oh right, that is why you work for me.” Hayi is silenced by the words. Her heart was breaking apart. Hayi never thoguht that Jung Jaewon completely disappear. Hayi lower his chin, she stare at the chouch she was sitting on. Jaewon without guilty on his face took the cake and slice it. He enjoyed the cake and his coffe beside her. Hayi was complete quite.

::::::::::

Hayi and Jaewon turned into silence even when they went to parking lot. Jaewon lead the way while Hayi in the back followed after him with anger she had to endure. Hayi then shake her head, she expect this would happen. So she back into her sense that she was a manager for an artist. Jawon tuned right, he pressed the car key and the car release a beep sound, Hayi then knew it was his car without asking her. Then she gasped, she just remember that she could not drive so she stopped in front of the black car. But Hayi was confused when Jaewon head towards drivier seat. She pursed her eyebrow and tuned his head to right.

“You would not standing there forever aren’t you? We have schedule!” Jaweon paused a minute before enter the car to made Hayi woke from her day dream. Hayi who stood still gasped for hundred times again. “Get in!” Jaewon ordered Hayi to get the car, she followed obeyed his order like the law.

The both were in the car once again with silence. They put on the seat bel and Jaewon tuned the car on. Hayi looked at him with curious.

“I should drive you.” Jaewon looked at Hayi with disbelieve as a respon. Then he turned her head stright to the way.

“You could not drive. You have trauma.” Jaewon spoke as he stepped on gas pedal.

He remembers?

:::::::::::::

They arrived at the shoot place for Jaewon commercial. After park his car, Jaewon and Hayi entered the studio. She was very nervous it was her first experience. But Hayi was a perfectionist, she already clear everything this morning before, so she was not confused what will she do. They were welcomed by the staff, Hayi bowed very polite while Jaewon just walked pass the staff, and it was quite rude actually so Hayi bow to them as forgiveness.

“Jaewon shi, this way.” A staff led Hayi and Jaewon to his dressing room, and make up room, Hayi was so amused by the studio, she turned his head left to right to look around. They arrived at the room. Hayi already picked the cloths what Jaewon will wear. Everything already set by Hayi that Jaewon quite surprised, but will not show it.

Though that Jaewon was arrogant one but he was so professional, his commercial only took quite short shoot because he did almost without NGs, it was so smooth. Hayi was sitting next to the one of the cameramen. The studio was set to be quite when the director said ‘action’ sign. Because it was so quiet, Hayi could heard the whisper through some lady around the corner.

“He is so handsome and so talented, if he has no this temperament issue, everything will go right for him.” The lady whisper to another, Hayi heard that not very clear, but very sure what she said.

“Yeah, but who could stand his precious smile. He is very handsome indeed. You might melt if he smiles for you.” Hayi decided to focus on Jawon shoot not because she wanted to focus on him, he was doing well by herself anyway. It just rude to ‘heard’ people conversation, more over if the conversation was supposed to be a secret.

‘CUT’ the director yell, it was the end of the shoot that day. Hayi smiled naturally. She clapped her hands a little, smile and bow to everyone. Jaewon was stay still on her spot, he sat with the lazy gaze. After Hayi bowed to everyone Hayi eyes and Jaweon met each other. He looked annoyed. Hayi did not know what she did wrong, Jaewon just made a hand gesture to take him a drink. In respond, Hayi run little to search for water.

They continued they schedule that day that mde Hayi little uncomfortable, Jaewon drive along for his own schedule. They got so quite when in the car, Hayi keep explaining to Jaewon what he should do to break the awkwardness.

It was photo shoot for a magazine. Hayi was so busy at the photo shoot because Jaewon need to change for couple cloths. After that Jaewon had little interview, again Hayi was sitting next to cameramen in case he needed something.

There were some interview Jaewon should take, and so on and so on the day passed. . A staff came and asked Hayi wanted to eat. Hayi did not expect that. But if he disturbed Jaewon from his interview he might kill her. But Jaewon was not a new guy for her. Lee Hi knew exactly what Jaewon’s favourite, allergies.

::::::::::

Lee Hayi through the hell called Jung Jaewon order. Jaewon somehow liked to play with Hayi. It had been three months Hayi and Jaewon linked together, well if Jaewon got schedules, but he barely got day off, Hayi was double busy more than him.

As already mentioned before that Jaewon liked to play with Hayi. Without even he realise, everything he need only Hayi could bring. Hayi took care everything that Jaewon need. That he felt uncomfortable without Hayi around.

It had been so long that Hayi was not around this place. It was quite, not really but not many people show off, she could understand, that was the place everyone did not want to end in. Hayi swung her legs, her habit. She was waiting for someone call her name.

“Mrs Lee Hayi.” Finally someone called her name. She smiled welcome him. The man quite familiar with her, it was not her relative, but it appear that the man who just called Hayi was the man who usually call her if she came in that place. Hayi stood beside her, waiting for their next movement. The tall man show the way like always, and Hayi followed the path, Hayi walked next to him.

“How’s my dad?” Hayi open the conversation. She still looked directly to the way their headed to.

“Good, he eats well. You are the one who look well terrible. Are you ok?” Asked the man. His tone somehow sincere. But Hayi just raised his shoulder as a respond.

“Losing some sleeps. I have not really god job. See?” The man just smiled, he was quite charming.

“We have not a good Job either Hayi, we have to deal with murdered, robber, gangs or mafia. You maybe concidered it cool but it is not, our job risk our life, it might look cool, and we wear uniform. See?” The police officer asked Hayi back. Hayi giggles a little. “Every Job has it risks Hayi.” Hayi just nodded as she understand.

“Anyone has visited these three months lately?”

“Barely no one, I suspect they are busy just like you. I mean you father’s friends and I just understand that your father is only child, I suspect no close relative will come.” Hayi nodded as an agreement. Hayi barely has no cousin. Both his mother and father was only child. “Oh, Song Lawyer came weeks ago.” Hayi smiled so bright towards the information. “I’ll leave you here.” The police officer left Hayi in the room, there were no one but only a man was sitting, and smiling to her. But there was glass that separated them, alongside with the empty seat.

“Hi dad. You look good.”

“I have missed you my daughter, what’s into you lately, how’s the job, is he a nice person? My dear, are you ok? You look so pale.”

“I am fine dad. How’s your day?” The daughter and father reunite once more. Hayi could not always visit her father not only because she had hectic day always but also the place of the prison was so far from the city.

:::::::::

A man in his couch looked impatient, he always looked at his phone. Sometimes he stared blankly to the ceilings of his apartment. and off the tv in front of him. Then suddenly the door was rang it was the tone of number was being pressed. It was Hayi no one knew his password apartment besides his old manager, Sujong, Seron unless they could effort to walk again.

The women showed up with the curly hair and face. She looked at him disbealife, her face also red not from the heat, it was fall, summer already gone. She hold back his anger of course.  The man who was waited for her was delightful, he smiled very bright even he did not realised himself.

“Are you having fun?” Hayi looked at Jaewon who was eating. Her eyes were full with anger. She thought all the order from her outside the schedule was total joke. Hayi once came to Jaewon for helping him looked after his remote tv control and all the ridiculous stuff that he could do it all alone. Tonight she could not hold the anger anymore. As he ate, she looked at him with predator eyes, wait for the pray guard off.

“What?” Jaewon respond with smile and innocent look. He was not eating anymore. He finished his food that Hayi brought, made her anger bet off because she thought that he was realy starving. Now they were sitting at the couch with Jaewon played his play station. “You took so long. Where have you been? I was starving for waiting for you.”

“But you can buy it outside or order it.”

“Well, it just, you always bring me my dinner.” She spoke as his eyes set on the tv screen.

“It because we have schedule. I am on my day off and...” She hesitate to continue, but he knew it anyway. “I was visiting my dad when you call. And I have to end my conversation with my dad because you said that it was urgent.” Hayi could see that his eyes was not on screen for second and back to the screen after.

“How is your dad?” He asked with very low tone that Hayi could barely heard.

“Fine. No thanks to you.” He did not respond, he still play with the stick and keep murder people at his game he was playing that she looked more annoyed right now. “I am going home.” Before anything was damage Hayi decided to leave that place.

“No. It is so late and you should stay. And that’s an order.” Hayi looked at her watch, it already ten pass fifty. Indeed it was very late night, maybe that was why she easily annoyed, and she felt so much tired. The trip to the prison took almost three hours. And then she suddenly threw cushion pillow to Jaewon.

“Aw, oi what’s that for?” he protested right away and turned his head completely ignored the tv screen.

“I don’t know I just want to hit you. You deserve it.” But Jaewon was not a weak pray. A lion met its proper match. Jaewon threw Hayi the same thing and it hit his head also and he giggles so much. Hayi threw his head again and Jaewon tuned the pillow to her, so the pillow battle began. Hayi threw at him with total anger. While Jaewon with total Joy followed by laughter.

:::::::::

Tomorrow morning turned like always, after they both had shower Hayi made breakfast for both of them. It was not a first time she had to spend night, Hayi used to it already. They ate with silence and somehow they comfortable with it. Only the sound of tv read the news was heard.

“We don’t have schedule today.”

“I know.” Jaewon looked at the tv, seems the news now turned into sport, he has quite interest in it.

“I will go somewhere. And do not disturb me this time please, for the name of every good on this earth.” Jaewon then pay attention to Hayi, what appointment she will fulfil that she could not be disturbed, Disturbing Hayi was becoming Jaewon new hobby. Or, an old hobby that return.

“Where will you going?” Jaewon could not hide his curiosity in his tone voice.

“None of your business.”

“I am afraid I am insist you should tell me.”

”It is a day off, and I don’t work for you at the day off.” Jaewon is silenced by the statement.

“But at least tell me where you go, I just want to know.”

Hayi knew that she will not win this game. She sighed very hard as annoyance.

“Fine. I am meeting my mother today.”

“Then I come with you.”

“No. No you won’t. I have to tell you many times that this is none of your business. I want.....”

“I am meeting her not for you. But for her, I am so sorry to say this but despite what has happened to us I gained respect to your mother. And it is been a year that I did not visit her.” Somehow Hayi knew she could not against his wirds this time. A year? Hayi asked herself, but it has been four years since Hayi’s mother has the illness. How did he know?

“As you information, it is a me..........”

“Mental hospital. I knew.”

::::::::::

The corridor was quite loud, it full of screams and laughter. Mental hospital always hectic. The flower they brought was left to Hayi’s mother room. Hayi’s mother still the same, she has not significant recovery yet but her physical condition was good she was really health at physical condition. It made her smiled somehow vanished when they left her mother room. Hayi walked in the corridor with head down. Jaewon who next to her did not know what he had to do, for second maybe it was wrong decision to come along. Jaewon as quite as Hayi, did not want to open a conversation.

Hayi turned her head to the garden, she saw a familiar figures were sitting on the bench, one of them wore white uniform, one with navy blue complete suit and neck tie. Hayi heard their voice from afar, she recognise his voice. So deep but clear. It was Suhyun opposite voice.

“Hayi, aren’t they?” Jaewon also knew them. Hayi just nodded as a respon.

“Mino oppa, Yunhyung oppa.” Hayi and Jaewon headed to garden where the two men Hayi called were sitting. They seemed into deep conversation that made them really surprised someone broke their conversation, it was clear drown on their face.

“Did I ruined something?” Hayi asked pursed his eyebrow with curious look.

“Hayi, Jaewon. What a day!” Mino always happy to see Hayi, she hugged her and followed by Yunhyung. They smiled and let Hayi and Jaewon sat on the bench in front of them.

“What were you talking about guys, it seems serious.”

“Ah, not at all.” Yunhyung, the man with white uniform immediately clear her assumption. His clear white uniform was somehow did not match with his look.

“Are you ok Yunhyung oppa?” She asked sincerely worry about him.

“Ah, I lost two night sleeps in row. See? it is doctor duty.” He still smiled anyway. The sweet smile that could beat Jaewon’s smile.

“I hope you get your rest oppa. And what are you doing here Mino oppa?” Hayi turned her eyes into the man with suit. He has dark skin and round eyes.

“Well, I do want to visit your mother also Hayi. How is your mother?” Mino raised her eyebrow waiting for answer.

“She is healthy. But her mind not yet. She rogonise me though. Although not as her daghter. I see her very quickly, they still guard her.” Mino and Yunhyung looked each other looking uncomfortable. Hayi looked at Jaewon but Jaewon raised his shoulder.

“Everything is fine Jaewon?” Yunhyung broke the awkward atmosphere by asking Jaewon days.

“Hayi, could we talk for moment.” Song Mino looked very serious, he never looked this way unless he nurtured his client.

“Sure.” Hayi looked at Jaewon. Their eyes linked bfore Hayi and Mino left Yunhyung and Jaewon alone.

:::::::::::

“Hayi, are you ok right?” Hayi nodded with astonished look. “Are you sure that you don’t hide something for me?” Hayi shake her head. “I and Yunhyung consider you as my little sister, your mother is ours. Your father is also ours. You declared yourself this Hayi, if everything happen on you, would you mind to tell us?” Hayi did not understand what this conversation point. Hayi dod not speak wait a clue of this conversation hit his head, but nothing seems into his thought.

“Why suddenly? I mean, why would I hide something for you? What will happen to me? I don’t understand.”

“Hayi, have you ever feel threaten lately?” Mino lower his voice, almost barely heard by Hayi.

“Well, I work with monster, you see?”

“It is not a joke. Just answer me!” Mino asked Hayi firmly, somehow Hayi understood this was not a time to make a joke.

“No, and why I have to feel threaten?” Hayi somehow feel rather scared than confused. The word threat was not good after all no matter what angle you looked.

“Oh, sorry Hayi, it just my paranoid. I have to deal with client you know. I have to deal with cases.” Mino smile to Hayi, the smile that Hayi knew it was not from his heart, he still looked worried or something. “How’s Jaewon?” He asked changed the topic all of sudden.

“Jaewon? Ah, I’ll be fine.” Hayi more like talking to herself.

::::::::

In the car was total silence. Hayi stared blankly over the road, while Jaewon driving. Hayi was so quiet and did not move an inch.

“Gosh, Hayi. Are you here?” She heard Jaewon raised her voice but did not catch what she just said. Her soul left her body for a while. She was thinking very hard.

“Yes, what did you say?”

“Are you hungry?”

“No, I mean Yes. Ah, by the way we have abroad schedule tomorrow, so we need pack your things tonight.” Jaewon knew that Hayi was thinking over something deeply and it was not their schedule. Hayi always do that, act like nothing happen when obviously she was thinking over something and it felt so wrong to bother her at that state,

Am I in danger state?

:::::::::