Friday & Saturday

Mail on Sunday (YuiParu)

Friday:

“Stop moping around and make up with her already!” The midget towered over her. A forlorn Yui was lying on the ground, weeping and holding a picture of Paru.

“I know you’re hurt, but if you give up on her know, then you'll never have a chance to get her back.”

“I don't have chance. Period.” Yui said sourly. She flipped over so that she was now face-down. Takahashi found the entire sight rather pathetic.

“Go write another one of your letters and explain everything.”

“It won't help; she won't even open them.”

The general manager sighed. It was her job to take care of the girls, and it was usually an enjoyable job, but the occasional overblown drama was something she could do without. Wordlessly, she dragged the other girl from the living room floor off onto the couch. If something was not done about the two, then the overall atmosphere over the AKB group would become gloomy.

Jabbing a finger in Yui’s direction, Takahashi insisted that the weeping girl get dressed and ready. They were going out, and hopefully it would take Paru off the girl’s mind, at least for the moment. Yui, recognizing what Takahashi was trying to do for her, reluctantly obliged. The two ended up going to a funny movie and a round of shopping.

However, while the outing had distracted her, it only managed to provide Yui with a short respite. As soon as night fell, a pang of loneliness pierced her heart. 

In another sector of the city, Haruka was no better off. That night, both girls cried themselves to sleep.

Saturday:

Groaning, Yui cracked open her eyes. There was a handshake event taking place today, and she couldn’t afford to be late. She rolled out of bed and shuffled towards the bathroom, where Takahashi was already applying makeup.

“Good morning, Takamina-san.” Yui yawned, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

“Good morn--Jesus. You look terrible.” Takahashi frowned and stepped aside to let Yui see herself in the mirror. 

It was true. Her eyes were red and puffy after crying herself to sleep. She also had a horrific case of bedhead hair. Today was going to be a long day. She shrugged and started to wash up.
 



At the event venue, she greeted fellow members and went to find her booth. A queue of fans had already formed. Hurrying along to her designated spot, she passed by the one person she was trying to avoid. Haruka. Their eyes made contact for a split second, before the other girl averted her eyes and continued walking away. Yui paused and stared after her, disappointment flickering in her gaze. 

The handshake event was as monotonous as all the other past ones had been. A simple greeting, a couple of lines exchanged, a smile and thanks--all in the span of a couple of seconds before the usher directed the fan away. At the end of the night, the last fan, a small high school girl, shyly took her hands. Yui frowned. She had seen the fan earlier when she took a break for lunch. The high schooler had been standing in the line for Paruru. 

“Hello.” Yui spoke simply, whilst retaining a kind tone.

“Um, hello. I, uh, spoke to Paruru earlier.” The girl struggled to form her words. “She looked a little sad, and when I asked about it, she mentioned you.”

“Oh? Is that true?”

“Yeah, so I just wanted to say that I hope you guys make up or something. Um, don’t hold everything in. All of us fans really care, you know.” The entire time, the fan had been looking down, never once making eye contact with Yui. However, after finishing speaking, the fan glanced up at Yui and let out a sheepish grin.

“Thank you.” Yui murmured. “For coming to see me and for this message.” She smiled back the fan, who bowed and allowed herself to be guided away by the usher.

Having finished her line, Yui gathered up her belongings and prepared to go home, feeling slightly better. When she walked into the apartment, Takahashi shoot a strange look in the direction of the smiling Yui, but refrained from saying anything. The 9th generation girl seemed to have reached an inner peace of some sort. A wrong word could break that. No, it was best to keep silent, Takahashi smugly concluded to herself.

Later that night, Yui finished her final letter to Haruka and crawled under the covers of her inviting bed. Tomorrow, she promised herself, she would clear everything up once and for all. She remembered the words of the last fan from earlier that night, and resolutely closed her eyes.