The Magic Trick

Surreptitious

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were walking through the halls of the school when they got stopped in their path. "Chanyeol~!" They called out. "Ugh, it's your fans..." Baekhyun complained. "That's right, you liar!" Yura whispered to him before smiling at Chanyeol again. "Do you need anything?" Chanyeol asked them. "We just wanted to say hi." She told him. "Why are you hanging out with him?" Yura asked him. "He's my friend." Chanyeol told them. "What!? Chanyeol, how can you be friends with someone so mean!?" Yura acted sad. "He's not mean." Chanyeol said. "Yes! Whenever he sees us, he tells us to leave! And we didn't even do anything." Yura pretended to cry. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry about that." Chanyeol told her. "Right? So you can't be his friend." She told him. "You can't tell me what to do." Chanyeol told her and she widened her eyes and so did the girls behind her. "Uh, of course. You're right." She bowed her head. "We're sorry to have bothered you..." They apologized before leaving. "They are so annoying." Baekhyun complained. "I don't even know why they like me so much. Am I good looking?" Chanyeol asked him. "How am I supposed to know!?" Baekhyun told him. "Yeah, you're right. There's no way that's it. What do you like about me?" Chanyeol asked him. "Well, I don't like you the same way those girls do." Baekhyun told him. "Still." Chanyeol inquired. "You're really nice, and funny. I like how worried you get about me when something happens, and even if I keep telling you I'm fine, you insist on helping me. Your acting skills are great, I think that's interesting. And it's important that you know how to cook. I know I'll never starve when I'm with you." Baekhyun joked. "I don't think the girls like those things about you, though. They don't even know about them. That kind of makes me feel special." Baekhyun admit. "You are special. You're my first friend." Chanyeol told him. "Really?" Baekhyun asked. "Yeah. I always kept my distance so that people wouldn't find out about me. So, I never really made any friends." Chanyeol told him. "That's nice..." Baekhyun said before realizing what he just said. "I mean... not that you being alone is nice!! I just mean that I'm glad I'm your first friend! Not that I don't want you to have friends of course! It's just that...uh..." Baekhyun tried to say. Chanyeol was smiling at him. "I know what you mean." He let him know. "Oh, okay..." He said, embarrassed.

 

During lunch, Baekhyun was with Chen. They were outside of the school where lots of kids, mostly boys, were playing with a ball. Chen wanted Baekhyun and Tao to meet. Eventually, Chen saw Tao hiding behind the net, poking holes in one of the balls. "What are you doing?" Chen asked him. "Shh! Do you want them to see me?" He said before throwing the ball back into the field, after making sure no one was looking. He stood up with a smug look on his face. "Who's this?" He asked. "My name is Baekhyun. Nice to meet you." Baekhyun told him. "You didn't bring me a therapist, did you?" Tao asked him. "What?" Chen asked. "Cuz, I swear it was only one time!" Tao told him. "Tao, he's my friend." Chen told him. "Oh, okay. I was scared for a second." Tao breathed. "What were you talking about?" Chen asked. "Nothing! You heard nothing!" Tao told him. "Okay..." Chen said awkwardly as Tao looked around suspiciously. "Wait. I think someone might be going through the door." Tao said before running inside. "What an interesting friend." Baekhyun said. "He's not usually that weird." Chen told him. "So he's normally weird. Good to know." Baekhyun joked. "Sometimes it's good weird. Like, I would have never been able to skip school, when I was hiding from Chanyeol, without him." Chen told him. "Really? I think you would have done just fine." Baekhyun said. "Well, I needed all kinds of things." Chen told him. "Yeah? Like what?" Baekhyun wondered. "Well, simply I needed someone to talk to for those few days. And I needed his expertise." Chen said. "Expertise." Baekhyun repeated. "Yup. I'm sure it's no secret to you how much trouble he gets in." Chen told him. "Oh, yeah. I've seen him a few times being chased by that student council president. What a persistent guy." Baekhyun said. "No kidding. He'll chase him to the end of the earth if he has to." Chen joked.

 

They decided to go back to the cafeteria. Baekhyun couldn't find Sehun or Kai anywhere until Chen pointed them out. They were surprisingly sitting with Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Luhan. They curiously went over to them. "Hey guys. Weird seeing you all together." Baekhyun said. "I'm only here because of Sehun." Kai said. "Why is Sehun here?" Baekhyun wondered. "Luhan is tricking him." Chanyeol said. "It's not a trick. It's a magic trick." Luhan let him know. "You understand what he's doing, right?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun nodded. "Baekhyun, he's actually doing real magic!" Sehun said. "No, he's not! He's switching them when you're not looking!" Kai told him. Baekhyun and Chen decided to actually take a seat as they've been standing the whole time. "Which one is it now?" Luhan asked Sehun who pointed to the middle. "Wrong again!" Luhan told him and he widened his eyes and had this look of shear shock. Kai rolled his eyes and Baekhyun laughed at his innocence.

 

After school, Sehun wanted to watch Luhan do magic again so they all went to Chanyeol's house. Baekhyun and Chen sat on the couch to talk while Sehun and Luhan were on the floor, under a table, in front of them. Kai was sitting on the floor too, next to them, watching TV. Kyungsoo was in the kitchen with Chanyeol making food. "I wish you'd tell me how you did it!" Sehun said. "I can't reveal my secrets!" Luhan shrugged. "I could become your assistant!" Sehun told him. "Assistant for what? You're the only person I show these to." Luhan told him. "You can show him how well you can balance things." Baekhyun suggested. "Ooh!" Luhan realized as he took a card and held its edge with one finger. "How are you doing that!?" Sehun asked him. "What? This?" Luhan bragged as he threw the card in the air and made it land on his pinky. "Careful, Luhan." Chen warned him. "Wow~! You must have real magic!" Sehun said. Luhan then made the card spin, further impressing the oblivious boy. Luhan cracked up at Sehun's face. His hand fell as he couldn't control his laughter, forgetting about the floating card that was baffling Sehun. "What?" Sehun was beyond shocked. "Oh, I can explain!" Luhan told him after he finished laughing. Baekhyun noticed it and immediately grabbed it. "You caught him! He was using those trick cards! The new ones they made are motion activated!" Baekhyun lied hoping he'd believe him. "You cheated. That's not real magic!" Sehun told him. "You're right. I'm sorry." Luhan apologized. "Well, no duh. Sehun, I told you there's no such thing as real magic." Kai told him. "Were the other tricks you did fake too?" Sehun asked. "No, those were real magic!" Luhan told him and Sehun smiled expecting him to do them again, which he did. Kai just rolled his eyes, knowing he'll never convince him.

 

Later, they were all in the kitchen eating. "This is delicious!" Baekhyun said, making Chanyeol smile. "Who cooked the rice?" Sehun wondered. "That was me." Kyungsoo told him. "It's well cooked!" Sehun told him, earning a smile. "I was going to say it's undercooked." Kai said, earning a glare. "Well, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I had to please you." Kyungsoo said. "As a matter of fact, you do." Kai told him. "Oh really now?" Kyungsoo wondered before getting stopped. "Can you two just stop? We're trying to enjoy this meal!" Chanyeol scolded them. "Kai, you know better than to insult someone's cooking!" Baekhyun scolded. Kai just rolled his eyes again. "Things haven't changed anywhere." Chen noticed.

 

Everyone went home after a while except Chen, who stayed after Chanyeol offered him to. The next day, Chen woke up a little later than he usually does. He went downstairs to the kitchen where everyone was. "Good morning, Chen." Chanyeol greeted him. "Good morning..." Chen answered. "Sit down." Kyungsoo told him. Luhan was already under the table, eating. Chen did as told and started eating. After he finished eating, he went to get dressed and came back. "Chen, the Queen wants to see you." Chanyeol told him. "What? You told her I was here?" Chen asked. "Yes." Chanyeol answered. "Why!?" Chen asked him. "Chen, you ran away unexpectedly and no one knew where you were. The Queen was worried sick." Chanyeol explained. "I ran away for a reason!" Chen told him. "Whatever that reason was, you should have told the Queen instead of worrying her." Chanyeol told him. "Is that the reason you told me to stay the night?" Chen asked. "No. I thought you might like to stay." Chanyeol told him. "Liar!" Chen yelled. "I'm not lying. I could have told her where you were even if you weren't here." Chanyeol let him know. "That's not true! You don't know where I stay when I'm not at school!" Chen yelled again. "Exactly. I bet you don't even have a house. Am I right? The Queen can help you. The Queen could have helped you this whole time." Chanyeol told him. "I'm not going back to the village." Chen said firmly. "The Queen wants to see you." Chanyeol repeated. "I know!" Chen yelled at him. Chanyeol shrugged and left. Chen decided not to go to school and went to his forest instead.

 

While trying to find his tree, he heard noises. No one should be in his forest. He stealthily walked over to the noise. He saw a shadow and hid behind a bush. He peeked through and saw someone familiar bending down and doing something he couldn't see. He got up and walked over. The guy stopped moving and Chen did too. The guy turned around quickly and widened his eyes. "Tao!" Chen yelled. "Heh. Hey, Jongdae!" Tao greeted him. "What are you doing? I thought I told you to stop skipping school!" Chen scolded. "I'm not skipping, I'm gonna go. I just spent the night here." Tao told him. "What? Why?" Chen asked. "I got into a fight with my parents." Tao said. "So you came here?" Chen asked. "I would have asked to spend the night with you but I don't know where you live." Tao shrugged. Chen sighed. He's lucky he slept at Chanyeol's house or Tao would have really found out where he lived. "Anyway, what are you doing?" He asked, moving to see what was in front of him. "Is that a dead squirrel!?" Chen asked, immediately bending down to get a closer look. "I thought it was a weirdo!" Tao defended himself. "How could you kill an innocent squirrel!?" Chen picked up the poor creature. "Hey! At least I was trying to bury it!" Tao said. "Is that what you were doing?" Chen asked and Tao nodded. "Well...finish up and go to school." Chen demanded. "And you? Where are you going?" Tao asked. "Of course, I'll be going to school too." Chen lied. "Then what were you doing here?" Tao questioned. "I told you, I live nearby. I heard strange noises. No one comes in here so it was suspicious." Chen told him. "Oh yeah? Just how nearby do you live?" Tao inquired, worrying Chen. Chen didn't know what to do, he acted without thinking. He made a bolt of lightning come from the sky right next to them, scaring Tao. "What was that?!" Tao asked. "I think that was lightning." Chen said. "It was so close!!" Tao screeched. "Calm down." Chen told him. "Oh my god, we almost died!" Tao said. "Relax. Let's go to school." Chen patted his back. When they made it to school, Tao was calm. "See, we're safe." Chen let him know. "That was weird. Only one lightning bolt?" Tao said. "Nature's crazy." Chen told him.

 

Chen led his friend to his class and went to find his other friends. He saw them all together again. "Oh, hey Chen. Good to see you." Chanyeol smiled at him. A smile that aggravated Chen. "Hi Jongdae! How was it, sleeping at Chanyeol's?" Baekhyun asked him. "Nothing special." Chen told him. "Really? Did you get a room to yourself? Did you eat more of Chanyeol's awesome cooking?" Baekhyun would have kept going if Chen didn't interrupt him. "I don't know what you think sleeping at Chanyeol's house is like. Maybe you should just do it." Chen told him. "Really? Can I?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol, who smiled. "Of course. You can sleep over whenever you want." Baekhyun smiled too.

 

During lunch, Kai and Sehun were with Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Luhan again in the cafeteria while Chen and Baekhyun were outside. "Where is he?" Chen wondered. "Maybe he ditched again." Baekhyun suggested. "He promised he wouldn't anymore." Chen said before he saw him through a window. He took Baekhyun's hand and led him inside to Tao's classroom. "Tao! What are you doing here?" Chen asked him. "Oh, hey Jongdae. Just looking out for lightning." He told him. "Why?" Chen asked. "Well, that one from earlier came out of nowhere. I have to make sure I'm inside at all times, just in case." Tao explained. "What?" Baekhyun asked Chen. "I'll tell you later." Chen said before going over to Tao. "Tao, there's nothing to worry about. That forest, it’s a lightning forest." Chen lied. "What?" Tao asked. "You know like, rain forest. Except lightning is just shooting out all the time." Chen said. "Really? How did I survive a night in there?!" Tao asked. "Well, you're lucky." Chen said. "So I have nothing to worry about?" Tao asked to make sure. "Yes. There's nothing to worry about." Chen repeated. The three of them went outside. "Tao, Jongdae! We're about to start a new game. Wanna join?" A boy asked them. "Go ahead. I'll go find Chanyeol." Baekhyun said before the two others went to the field.