Enthralling Assignment

Surreptitious

"What about you, Baekhyun?" Sehun suddenly asks him. "What do you mean?" Baekhyun wonders. "Do you think you might like anyone?" Kai tells him. "Uh, no. I don't think so." Baekhyun admits. "Good. If you did, and that lucky bastard didn't accept your feelings, this school's population will drop by 1." Kai let him know. "It'll drop by 2 cuz you'll get expelled." Sehun said. Kai shrugged and Baekhyun rolled his eyes. While walking in the halls, they see a group of girls. "Move out of the way." Kai growled at them. "We're having an important discussion. You can just walk around us." One of them said. "I said move so you move." Kai repeated. "Do you know who we are? We are the official Park Chanyeol fan club. And I am the official Park Chanyeol fan club assistant leader, Sa Yura!" She said, pointing to herself. "That's great, can you move now?" Sehun asked them. "You should respect us! One of us will one day be Park Chanyeol's girlfriend!" She let them know with an asserted finger. Sehun rolled his eyes and Baekhyun let out a yawn. The girls looked at them incredulously. "We're talking about THE Park Chanyeol! From class 2-D!" They clarified. "We know who Park Chanyeol is." Baekhyun told them. "Then, why?" They asked. "We don't care!" Sehun told them. The girls got angry and left. "Girls are so annoying." Kai complained. "Of course you wouldn't like them." Baekhyun joked and Sehun tried not to laugh. "What's that supposed to mean?" Kai asks. "Nothing." Baekhyun says, smirking. 

 

"Why is Chanyeol so popular anyway? It can't be because of his looks and he's not very good at anything. Except English." Baekhyun said. "English?" Sehun repeated. "Yeah, he's suspiciously good at English." Baekhyun told him. "Just English?" Kai wondered. "Well, I think he's taking a foreign language course." Baekhyun said. "Do girls like multilingual guys?" Sehun asked and Kai shrugged. They went to class and met up again during lunch.

 

"I just don't understand. Should I pretend to be a fan so he can help me with my English?" Baekhyun wondered. "Probably not a good idea." Sehun told him. "Why not?" Baekhyun asked him. "There's a rumour he doesn't really like his fans." Kai told him. "What rumour?" Baekhyun asked. "Whenever fans try to get close to him, he moves away.  Once a fan was confessing her love. She leaned his way so he could catch her, he didn't. She fell on the floor and he ran away." Sehun explained. "He ran away!?" Baekhyun repeated incredulously. "Yup. He really must hate them." Kai told him. "That doesn't make a lot of sense. When I see him, he's nice. Why would he show his hate to them?" Baekhyun asked. "We don't know everything. We just learned that rumour today." Sehun told him. "Hey!" They suddenly hear. They turn their heads and see three girls, recognizing them from earlier. "You were only pretending to not be interested, right?" Yura asked, pointing at Baekhyun. "What are you talking about?" Baekhyun asked her. "Some fans who're in your class said you were staring at Park Chanyeol the whole time!" She accused. "I was boring holes in his skull." Baekhyun joked. "So, you admit it?" She said. "Yeah, sure." He said, hoping they'd leave then. "Listen Byun Baekhyun! That's right, we know your name. Don't ever think you have a chance!" She warned him. "Chance with what?" He asked, not really interested. "Park Chanyeol, of course." They told him. "Do we have to spell it out for you? We don't care about your Park Chanyeol!" Kai yelled at them. "He does." Yura said, pointing to Baekhyun. "No, I don't." Baekhyun told her. "Why were you staring at him!?" They asked. "For an entirely different reason." Baekhyun said. "Can you leave us alone?" Kai told them. They seemed reluctant but left anyway. They finished eating and made their way back to class. Baekhyun left his friends and went up the stairs. He heard the bell ring and knew he was going to be late, so he started running. He ran until he suddenly felt heat and fell on the floor. When he looked up he saw Chanyeol, who looked shocked. He realized he must've bumped into him. "Sorry, about that." Chanyeol apologized. "No, I'm sorry. I should have watched where I was going." Baekhyun replied, getting up. "Okay then." Chanyeol said before going in class. Baekhyun thought it was weird but ignored it because he had to go to class.

 

During class, as always, almost all the girls went to sit with Chanyeol so he could 'help' them with the work. Baekhyun is certain none of them actually need his help, they just need an excuse to be around him. Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol flinching every time a girl reached her hand out to touch him. None of them touched him because he successfully dodged all their hands. Baekhyun thought it was a little too suspicious to be ignored.

 

After class, Baekhyun saw his friends again. Naturally, he told them what happened. "I'm going to stalk him." He told them. "Stalk him? Why?" Sehun asked him. "He must have a secret and I have to figure it out!" Baekhyun said. "So, you're gonna follow him home?" Kai asked. "Yeah, but right now he has club activities." Baekhyun said. "Don't worry, you won't miss anything. I'll record the whole thing!" Baekhyun assured them. "You'll get caught." Sehun warned him. "No, I won't. I'll hide really well!" Baekhyun let him know. "Whatever. Have fun." Kai said, turning to leave. "See you later?" Sehun asked. "Oh yeah. I'm sure it won't take long to figure out his secret." Baekhyun said and waved to his friends as they left.

 

Baekhyun walked around, looking for Chanyeol. He heard his voice as he got closer. He saw him, leaning against the wall, talking on the phone. He hid behind the pillar in front of him and listened. "You're coming now? I'm at school. I can't leave now, just hang out with Kyungsoo. I'll be there in about 2 hours. Stop whining! Yes, you can. Okay." He shut his phone and put it in his pocket before walking away. Baekhyun decided there was nothing suspicious about the phone call, so he ignored it and continued following him. Chanyeol went in the drama club and Baekhyun waited for him to shut the door before going to peak in the small window. Everyone stood up to greet Chanyeol, who smiled and went to take his seat. Later, Chanyeol and a girl stood up and went to the front of the class, on the mini stage. They were talking and moving around while the rest of the class stared intently at them. Obviously, they were acting out a scene. Baekhyun couldn't hear what they were saying but, paid attention to the facial expressions, understanding that Chanyeol and the girl's characters were dealing with something. He assumed the characters were lovers and mentally made up his own words to fit the emotions and found himself enjoying their performance. Then, the girl reached out her hand to grab Chanyeol's arm. Chanyeol stopped the scene and Baekhyun started focusing again. The other club members clapped and Chanyeol and the girl went back to sit down. Baekhyun thought nothing else was going to happen so, he leaned on the wall next to the door and started texting his friends. A few minutes later, the door opened and the students were walking out. Chanyeol was the last to come out and when he did, he looked at Baekhyun. "What are you doing here?" He asked him. Baekhyun put his phone in his pocket and stood up straight. "No reason..." He lied. Chanyeol looked at him a bit longer before turning around and walking away. After a while, he started following him again. He successfully followed him all the way to his house. Baekhyun stayed a safe distance away from Chanyeol before he entered his house. Baekhyun ran to hide under a window. After a few seconds, he looked through it and didn't see anyone. He went to the other side of the house and looked through the other window and saw three people. One of them, Chanyeol, was standing in front of the others, who were sitting under a kotatsu. Baekhyun took out his phone and decided if anything happens he should be ready to record it. The three talked a bit before Chanyeol went to the fridge, took out a pot and set it on the table. One of the other boys took off the top and looked inside of it. While Chanyeol went to get bowls, Baekhyun realized they were going to eat soup, but Chanyeol didn't reheat it after taking it out of the fridge. As Chanyeol was pouring soup for the three of them, he noticed Baekhyun, who widened his eyes. Chanyeol got up and went out of the kitchen. Baekhyun was in too much of a shock to move. He realizes what he looks like. He was only a bit thankful he didn't have his phone out and Chanyeol didn't see it but he was mostly feeling guilty. Chanyeol walks up to him with an angry face. "What are you doing? Are you a stalker?" Baekhyun looked down in humiliation. Chanyeol beckoned him with his finger to follow him and went back to the kitchen, making sure Baekhyun was behind him. As they entered the kitchen, one of the boys looked at them while the other was drinking his soup. Baekhyun widened his eyes as he realized he wasn't holding the bowl, it was floating by itself. After a big sip, the bowl went back down and the guy noticed Baekhyun. He also noticed Chanyeol glaring at him. They all looked at Baekhyun, to see his reaction. "What was that? Do you guys have ghosts in here!?" Baekhyun asked, in shock. Chanyeol sighed and the guy laughed at him. "Tell me why you came here." Chanyeol demanded. "Well, I was curious as to why you never let anyone touch you." He answered him. "Really? I didn't think you were that obvious, Chanyeol." The guy said to which Chanyeol glared at him. "It's none of your business why I don't let people touch me. But if you must know, I have a fear of germs." Chanyeol told him, still looking angry. "Well, what about the ghosts?" Baekhyun asked him, suddenly uninterested in his initial task. "Would you believe me if I said the bowl didn't float?" Chanyeol asked. "No, because I saw it." Baekhyun told him. Chanyeol sighed. "Poor kid." The guy said, as more soup was added to his bowl by, what Baekhyun assumes are, ghosts. "Why?" Baekhyun asked, still surprised. "We're gonna have to erase your memory now." He said, drinking from the floating bowl. The boy next to him sighed, annoyed with him. "Stop making it worse!" Chanyeol yelled at him. "What? We're gonna erase it anyway, we might as well explain." He said. "We could have come up with an excuse." The guy next to him said, earning a shrug. "Why are you guys gonna erase my memory? I don't know anything." Baekhyun wondered. "You saw our secret. We can't let you keep that knowledge." Chanyeol explained. "What secret? That you’re living with ghosts?" Baekhyun asked. "Wow, you really are stupid." The guy said, earning a glare. "There are no ghosts." Chanyeol told him. "Then how do you explain the bowl and the soup floating by themselves?" Baekhyun asked. "Might as well tell him~!" The guy sang and Chanyeol sighed. "Are you hungry?" Chanyeol asks him. "I'm starving." Baekhyun told him before Chanyeol motioned him to sit down. Chanyeol filled a bowl with soup and gave it to Baekhyun so he can eat. "Since we have to erase your memory, we're going to explain everything." Chanyeol let him know. Baekhyun wasn't too thrilled about losing his memory, but at least he was getting an explanation. "So, what you saw wasn't ghosts. It was Luhan's telekinesis." Chanyeol started. "I'm Luhan!" He waved with a smile. Baekhyun politely smiled back. "As for the reason you came here, this is what happens when someone touches me." Chanyeol said before putting his hand on Baekhyun's arm. Baekhyun started to feel heat. "A-ah, ah! Ow!" Baekhyun whined and Chanyeol removed his hand. "I can control fire." Chanyeol told him. "Well, not completely. I have no control over my body temperature." Baekhyun was staring at Chanyeol in confusion, surprise and amazement. Chanyeol was surprised when he saw Baekhyun smile. "Woah...so you guys have like super powers!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "No we don't, we don't have super powers. We have strange inhuman abilities." Chanyeol said, looking upset. "Are you kidding? You're like superheroes! That's so cool!" Baekhyun said. "It's cool?" Luhan repeated. "You don't think we're weird?" Chanyeol asked him. "Weird? Why would I think you're weird? I was already interested in you before but this is amazing!" Baekhyun said. "What do you mean?" Chanyeol asked him. "Chanyeol, we've been in the same class for a few years and we never talked. Don't you think that's weird? Today, I was stalking you for a stupid reason. But throughout the day I learned a lot about you. Earlier in class, even though you were mostly focusing on not getting touched by the girls, your smile looked genuine. Then, during your club meeting, you acted amazingly. And just now I learned that you can cook. You are an incredible person, Chanyeol, even without your super powers. Even though I think your super powers are cool, I can respect if you don't want me to know about them." Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol and smiled. "You can erase my memories, but afterwards promise you'll be my friend?" Chanyeol was staring at Baekhyun incredulously. He couldn't believe someone actually still liked him after finding out about his ability. Realizing Baekhyun was still waiting for an answer, he nodded. "That's so great! I'm so glad!" Baekhyun expressed. "Since I'm done, should I tell her everything?" The only person whose name Baekhyun didn't know asked. Chanyeol nodded again. The guy got up and left the room. "Hey, Chanyeol! What's his name?" Baekhyun asked, pointing to the guy who left. "His name is Kyungsoo. Sorry, I should have introduced you." Chanyeol said. "Yeah, you learned all about us yet we don't even know your name." Luhan said. "Sorry, my name is Baekhyun." He told him. "Oh, Chanyeol! I forgot to tell you, the soup was delicious!" Baekhyun told him, earning a smile. "I'm glad you like it. If you ever want to eat anything, I'll make it for you." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun agreed. Kyungsoo came back and grabbed his bowl along with Luhan's and Chanyeol's. "Are you finished?" He asked Baekhyun, who nodded. Kyungsoo grabbed his bowl too and went to the sink to wash them. "Should I help?" Baekhyun asked. "Of course not, you're the guest!" Chanyeol told him. "The uninvited guest who stalked you." Luhan reminded him. "He's right, aren't you still mad at me for that?" Baekhyun asked. "Well..." Chanyeol started. "You want to wash them?" Kyungsoo asked, drying his hands with a rag. Baekhyun got up to wash them. "You don't have to." Chanyeol said. "I want to." Baekhyun told him. Kyungsoo motioned Chanyeol to follow him to the living room.

 

"What did she say?" Chanyeol asked him when they were in the living room. "She finds it interesting. We should give him a chance." Kyungsoo told him. "She really said that?" Chanyeol asked and Kyungsoo nodded. "We should still report to her what happens." Kyungsoo said. "Of course. I can't believe she's allowing this." Chanyeol said.

 

They went back into the kitchen and Baekhyun was now talking with Luhan. "You're done?" Chanyeol asked. "Yeah, and Luhan was telling me about his power." Baekhyun said. "Uh, listen. Apparently we're not going to erase your memory after all." Chanyeol told him. "What, really? But I thought you said no one can know about your powers." Baekhyun thought. "Well, there's someone who decides everything, she's like our queen. We have to tell her everything and we told her about you. She normally tells us to erase the memories of those who find out our secret but, she said you can keep yours." Chanyeol explained. "Oh. What does it mean?" Baekhyun asked. "We're not sure. Let's just say you're lucky." Kyungsoo answered. "Baekhyun, please don't tell anyone what happened today. Not even your friends." Chanyeol asked. "Well, they knew I was stalking you. I'll just say nothing interesting happened." Baekhyun said. "How are you going to explain our friendship?" Chanyeol asked. "I'll tell them you got attacked by a bear and I saved you!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "Nothing interesting happened..." Luhan repeated jokingly. "They'll believe me. There's a forest in front of your house." Baekhyun said. "Yes, but there are no bears." Chanyeol said. "They don't know that." Baekhyun said. "Say what you want as long as they don't find out our secret." Chanyeol told him. "How many people are there?" Baekhyun suddenly asks. "Huh?" Chanyeol wondered. "How many people have super powers?" Baekhyun clarified. "You keep calling them super powers..." Luhan noticed. "Quite a lot. We don't even know all of them. You might get the chance to meet some of them." Chanyeol told him. "Really? I'd love to meet them!" Baekhyun said before remembering something. "Does Kyungsoo have a power?" He asked. Kyungsoo looked at him. "He doesn't like talking about it." Chanyeol said. "Oh. I was curious." Baekhyun said.

 

The next day, Baekhyun was talking to his friends. "Right after I told you what happened in the drama club, he caught me following him outside of school. He explained that he just has a fear of germs and called me an idiot which I agreed on. You guys were right. There's no special reason and I'm a bad stalker." Baekhyun explained. "Why'd you get home so late though?" Sehun asked. "Well, we hung out I guess." He said. "You hung out? Are you friends now?" Kai asked. "I guess." Baekhyun said. "You guess? You don't know? What happened for you not to be so sure?" Kai questioned. "We just talked. I know we're friends, satisfied?" Baekhyun told him. "I want to hear it from his mouth." Kai said so they went to look for Chanyeol. "Hey, Baekhyun." Chanyeol greeted him when he saw them. "Hi, Chanyeol. Would you like to meet my friends?" Baekhyun said. "Of course. I hope we can all be friends." He smiled at them. "You know, normal people shake hands." Kai told him. "Well, I hate germs." He explained. "Then wash your hands. We can't call this a greeting without shaking hands." Kai said. "Kai, please understand." Baekhyun told him. "Oh, I understand. You said you're friends. Did you shake hands with him?" Kai asked. "Well, no." Baekhyun said. "Me and him. We're strangers." Kai said. "Not anymore, we know each other's names and we have a mutual friend." Chanyeol told him. "Kai, let it go." Sehun told him. Kai glared at Chanyeol and walked away. Sehun followed him. "Wow, he would love Kyungsoo." Chanyeol said when he was gone. "Really?" Baekhyun asked. "Kyungsoo has anger issues." Chanyeol told him. "I didn't see it." Baekhyun said. "He tries to hide it. Your friend gets angry easily too, it seems." Chanyeol noticed. "Yeah, it's true. We're lucky he didn't punch you." Baekhyun joked. "He hits too?" Chanyeol asked. "Well, yeah." Baekhyun said. "We have to get them to meet somehow." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun laughed. "You wanna start a fight?" Baekhyun joked, making Chanyeol laugh too.