Nam Taehyun

Love Autumn

2. Nam Taehyun.

 

Dormitory rooftop, Stanford University, California.

 

The whole wide blue sky can be seen from here, this’s really an ideal place for those who loves the sky like Taehyun. He had found this place behind the closed door after convincing the old security man to let him come in, and he always came up here everytime he wanted to be alone. Taehyun never brought anyone here, except Seungyoon. Perhaps it has been three months that they haven’t talked to each other, even just once. Firstly Taehyun was so suprised at Seungyoon’s extreme concentration on studying, especially before the exams. But soon then he got used to it, it was Seungyoon’s special personality. Anyway, now it's better they didn’t see each other often. More than three years sinking in depression were enough to him, Taehyun thought he shouldn’t see Seungyoon anymore to relieve himself.

 

Seungyoon’s really the kind of person who had a heart made by steel. Since the first day they set their foot on America, the only thing Taehyun has done was becoming a close friend of Seungyoon, no more no less. Many times Taehyun bursted out his feelings to Seungyoon, but the other just shook his head, patted Taehyun’s and smiled it away. That smile has haunted Taehyun’s mind for so long, it's like an understanding smile from an adult to a child, or like a comforting smile. Whatever, it was something that Taehyun never liked. Feeling confusing and hopeless, he didn’t even understand why all his efforts to win Seungyoon’s heart got no results. But then, in a very accidental way, Taehyun realized that Seungyoon’s heart was filled by another person’s image and there’s no room for him to put his feet on.

 

That was an autumn afternoon of two years ago, just like now. Planning to make Seungyoon startle but when the door was opened and seeing the other, Taehyun’s smile slowly faded. Seungyoon was sitting on his below bunk bed, he was staring at his phone, and he was smiling. Taehyun sneakily closed the door and quickly ran away before he could loudly burst into tears and make Seungyoon know about his presence there. That’s the first time he saw Seungyoon’s phone homescreen and that’s the first time he saw Seungyoon smiling like that too. Seungyoon’s loving smile at that moment, the smile that Taehyun has always desired from Seungyoon, the smile which was full of love, hope and happiness. Seungyoon never had Taehyun in his eyes, in the past, as well as in the present or even in the future. In Seungyoon’s eyes there’s only that person. Kim Jinwoo.

 

Taehyun really liked Jinwoo, like a good brother. In the past when they were together, Taehyun considered Jinwoo as his closest friend and shared with him all his secrets. But after he knew that the one Seungyoon loves was Jinwoo, as many other people who became selfish because of love, he hated Jinwoo so much then. Both his heart and his pride were broken, he silently suffered so much by himself in a very long time. Until one day, he decided that he should ask Seungyoon straight away.

 

- Seungyoon ah.

 

- Huh?

 

- Have you ever been in love with anyone?

 

- Yes, and now I’m still be.

 

- Is that Jinwoo hyung?

 

- Yes.

 

- Why didn’t you tell me just once before?

 

- Because you never ask?

 

Taehyun was speechless at that moment. Turned out Seungyoon never wanted to hide his feelings, it’s just simply that Taehyun was too stubborn and proud of his own charisma but not recognized the fact himself.

 

- Hey...

 

- What?

 

- What's that of him makes him better than me?

 

- ...

 

- Just say it straight out, what makes me worse compared with him, I'll fix it.

 

- I don’t know, maybe nothing?

 

- Then why did you choose him not me?

 

Seungyoon sweetly smiled, his smile was full of love. But Taehyun knew that smile was not for him. Never be for him.

 

- Simply that my heart has its own reasons. That's all.

 

Right that moment, Taehyun completely understood that he lost this game.

 

From then on, Taehyun decided to forget his love to Seungyoon because when he looked into Seungyoon’s eyes he suddenly realized that nothing could change Seungyoon’s heart. Each look from those cold sharp eyes was like a prick in his broken heart. He started to not chase around Seungyoon everywhere, not to follow him to the canteen, not try to strike up conversations with him. Taehyun began to feel more comfortable thinking about Seungyoon, began to not feel hatred towards Jinwoo, although thinking about them two being together still made his heart feel heavy a little bit.

 

It had been almost two years but everything was like it just happened. Only two more weeks from now and the course would be finished, he would be able to fly back to his home. Thinking about it made Taehyun’s heart softened. His Korea, his dear homeland, he would be back soon to be in his parents and friends’s arms, to be with the ones he loves the most. Friends, as heretofore it was Seungyoon and Jinwoo the ones Taehyun considered as his closest friends. But Taehyun wondered that returning to see the two of them together would still make him feel hurt or not? That anxiety suddenly made his heart sink a little bit, his eyes were darkening together with the sun which was setting in the sky up there.

 

- Whooo!

 

Taehyun startled and immediately turned back, his flow of vague thoughts suddenly was interrupted by the big grin of someone.

 

- Song Minho, why are you up here? - Taehyun scowled.

 

- Well, this place is for everybody and there’s no law saying that I can’t come here, so why can’t I? - Minho just shrugged.

 

- Following me all day isn’t enough, huh? - the younger knitted his brows annoyedly.

 

- Eyy don’t be grouchy, I just come here to give you this. - Minho smiled meekly and handed Taehyun his coat - I don’t see you in your room but I see your coat so I guessed you might come up here and forgot it. And I guessed that you would feel cold but you’re a lazy cat so I brought it here for you.

 

Taehyun just quietly took the coat from the Minho’s hand. The older was living in a same dorm building with him but in the nearby room. Minho likes Taehyun, and he didn’t ever try to hide it. Taehyun never talked about this place with Minho but the older still knows about it by following Taehyun everytime. Actually Taehyun doesn’t hate Minho at all, the older is definitely a good man, always be caring to Taehyun, always stay by his side, always be funny make him laugh. Minho understood the feeling of unrequited love, just like Taehyun. To Taehyun, it’s secretly a pity that his heart couldn’t accept Minho because from the moment he decided to forget his love to Seungyoon, his heart officially closed too. Taehyun didn’t understand if he did forget Seungyoon or not, so he chose to reject Minho’s confession.

 

Minho gently sat down beside Taehyun and just gazed at the sky. He understood that Taehyun wasn’t ready, or maybe never be ready to accept his love. But Minho just simply wanted to be with Taehyun everyday and take care of him, that's enough. He didn’t ask and he knew that he couldn’t ask for more.

 

- Minho.

 

- Hmm?

 

- Why do you like me?

 

- I don’t know, maybe my heart has its own reasons?

 

That again. That silly reason again.

 

- What if I say that I’ll never like you back for all my life?

 

- It’s okay. It had been always like that, and I got used to it already.

 

- So you will still like me? Like... forever?

 

- I will love you and stay by your side until you find your other half.

 

Taehyun was a little bit suprised with Minho’s answer.

 

- Why?

 

- Because I want to give you the best things, that’s all. When you need me, I’ll be right here for you but when you don’t need me anymore, I’ll simply leave. I don’t want you to be embarrassed with my presence then.

 

Now Taehyun was totally surprised at the older. Minho was always joking around, and Taehyun didn’t think that he had this serious and mature side. The younger suddenly laughed at him.

 

- You're such an old man in a kid's clothing.

 

- And you’re a kid in an old man’s clothing! Pleee!!! - Minho sticked his tongue out teasingly at Taehyun and immediately stood up then ran away.

 

- Yahh how dare you!?!! Who are you calling a kid, I’ve grown up already!!!! And what about my clothing??? I’m studying fashion you !!!!! Let me catch you and you’ll learn to fear my wrath right then!!!!

 

Their happy pure laughters even shone brighter than the sunset.

 

End shot 2.