Kim Jinwoo

Love Autumn

1. Kim Jinwoo.

 

Seoul Central Park.

 

The weather today was windy. It was the kind of chilly wind, the kind of wind which was a characteristic of autumn. This year the cold came earlier than usual, making the solitude became clearer than ever.

 

Jinwoo shivered and snuggled deeper into his coat. Actually the weather was not too cold but it’s just colder because he was alone. This coldness reminded him clearly about his own loneliness at that moment. Lonely because he was just alone. Lonely because Seungyoon was not here with him.

 

A yellow leaf fell right next to Jinwoo on the bench. He sighed but tried to make it lightly, this beautiful quietness shouldn’t be broken even by just a sigh. The place beside him had always belonged to Seungyoon when he was here. The younger wouldn’t talk much but just quietly holding Jinwoo’s hand in his pocket and quietly listening to Jinwoo’s rambling for hours. And that didn’t make only his hand feel warm, but also his heart.

 

Their families were friends from so long. Jinwoo’s dad told him a story of their childhood days, that Jinwoo was there when Seungyoon was born and his dad promised with Seungyoon’s dad that Jinwoo would be a big brother to Seungyoon and take care of him in the future. But when they’d grown up, things were going in the opposite direction from what their fathers guessed.

 

Seungyoon and Jinwoo are really different, very different. Both are handsome and be loved by everyone, but in two different ways. Jinwoo is naive and fresh, he talks a lot and laughs a lot, he’s cute and adorable. Seungyoon is totally the opposite. The younger’s really quiet and mature, he prefer doing to talking and he’s also a good listener. Everybody around them have always wondered that why a silent Seungyoon and a talkative Jinwoo can be so close that long. Even Jinwoo doesn’t understand why, he only knows that being with Seungyoon is always very peaceful. They know each other so well that even they can talk to each other just by their eyes. There seems to be an invisible path connecting their souls together, and Jinwoo found that Seungyoon seemed to only have that kind of connection with him. He was incredibly proud of that small secret, and totally believed that it was only belongs to himself.

 

Just until the moment that little boy appeared in their peaceful lives.

 

...

 

- Hello senior, I’m Nam Taehyun, class 10A, and this’s my first day at this school. Can we get to know each other and be friends please?

 

- Hi, I'm Kim Jinwoo, class 11B and this’s Kang Seungyoon, class 10E. Nice to meet you!

 

Jinwoo friendly replied the younger newcomer without noticing Taehyun’s special look on Seungyoon.

 

...

 

- Jinwoo hyung, can I ask you a favor?

 

- Of course, what do you need me to help?

 

- I like someone who was really close to you so I want you to help me know more about him.

 

- Oh my God! Our little Hyunnie now is finally in love with someone! So who's that lucky guy? Tell me!

 

- I... I like Seungyoon! But he seems to be so cold and distant to me and you two have been best friends for ages so, can you help me win his heart?

 

If only Jinwoo could say no, he really wished so. Instead of just being dumbfounded, widening his eyes and silently looking at the younger like that.

 

...

 

- Jinwoo hyung, I’m going to study abroad.

 

- Study abroad? Where are you going to? And for how long?

 

- I sent my application to the Medical School of Standford University and I’m sure that I’ll be accepted. Just 5 years and then I will come back here to take over my father's clinic and stay by your side. Jinwoo hyung, please, just promise me one thing.

 

- What... what?

 

- Wait for me. Can you?

 

If only Jinwoo could say something to Seungyoon, such as a yes. Instead of just crying in Seungyoon’s arms like a small child that needed to be pampered like that.

 

...

 

Some months later.

 

- Jinwoo hyung, I’m going to study abroad.

 

- Why is everyone all going to study abroad??? Where are you going? And for how long?

 

- Stanford university, I’ll study fashion there in 4 years.

 

- Huh??? Isn’t that...?

 

- Exactly as you’re thinking, yes, I tried so hard and I got accepted by the university where Seungyoon is going to study. The procedures were already done, we have only one months before the flight.

 

- ...

 

- I chose that university to stay by Seungyoon’s side. I love him, and I don’t believe that I can not win his heart. After not a long time, maybe just two more years and I will send you some good news about us. Please hyung, take care of yourself , find a lover and wait for us to come back!

 

The autumn wind was swirling and humming in Jinwoo’s mind, drowning out all the happy laughters from Taehyun.

 

...

 

It's been three years and eleven months from the first day Jinwoo didn’t have his two best friends by his side. Neither of them contact Jinwoo even just once. It was not a surprise with Seungyoon because the younger already told him before, when he could achieve his desire then Seungyoon would return to face him with his dignity, so there would be no calls or mail. Jinwoo understands this weird personality of Seungyoon, so he just simply accepted it with no complaint.

 

But what about Taehyun? Why didn’t his good friend send him even a single call or text? Has he been too busy with studying, with making new friends or with his plan of winning Seungyoon’s heart and has forgotten about Jinwoo already?

 

There’re many times Jinwoo wondered whether Taehyun’s plan succeeded or not. Although he felt sorry for Taehyun but from the bottom of his heart he wished that the kid would never success. Jinwoo always wanted that he was the only one who had that special connection with Seungyoon’s soul. Besides, Jinwoo thinks that he understand Seungyoon’s feelings when the younger told Jinwoo to promise him, and he chose to believe in the younger. Keeping the yes he didn’t say with Seungyoon that day in his heart, Jinwoo still be waiting. But what if Seungyoon didn't still remember?

 

The wind was still blowing hard. The boy has still been sitting at that park bench, like they had always been doing together, since they were just little kids.

 

End shot 1.