Chapter 2: Of Plans and Flip Charts

Replacements

“So, friends,” Joon began dramatically as he folded his hands together and leaned forward expectantly. “We are gathered here today to discuss— ”

“Oh, come on, hyung.” Cheondoong rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair. “Do you really have to?”

“Shhh! Hyung is talking.” Joon frowned at Cheondoong and then continued, “As I was saying... we are gathered today to discuss about leader Yang Seungho of famous Korean group MBLAQ and his... problems.” Joon spat the last word out as though it were poison.

Getting up and running into another room, Joon quickly returned with a business flip chart.

“Oh, you aren’t serious...” Cheondoong sighed in exasperation.

“What? I’m serious. I’m dead serious.” Joon replied. “Now, together with my good buddy Bang Chulyong here," at this, Mir nodded proudly, "we have devised an ultimate foolproof plan to bring the Seungho hyung we know back."

Joon flipped to the first page of the flip chart. The whole page was a title page that read “The Ultimate Foolproof Plan to Bring the Seungho Hyung We Know Back.”

“...great title, right? I know.” Joon grinned. He flipped to the next page. The top of the page read “The Problem.”

“Okay, we all know what happened to Seungho hyung, right?” Joon said. “Basically, he was deeply in love with Jung Yewon when one day, she just disappeared.”

G.O looked away as he remembered his conversation with Seungho just the day before.

“Guys, it’s so simple. Really. A girl made Seungho hyung happy; but when the girl left, this was what he turned into.” Joon flipped to the next page that had a huge sad face on it. Cheondoong rolled his eyes again.

“So, if a girl is all that Seungho hyung needs to be happy, then all we have to do is find a girl for him!” Joon said excitedly. The next page of the flip chart read “The Solution.” Underneath that title were the words “Blind Date.”

“...blind date? Really?” Cheondoong narrowed his eyes.

“Yes! We’ll just have to set Seungho hyung up for blind dates with nice girls, and he’ll eventually find one that he likes! Then he’ll be happy, and MBLAQ will be normal again!” Mir chipped in.

“Are you guys serious? That is the single, most ridiculous thing I’ve ever...” Cheondoong’s voice trailed off in disbelief. “Tell them it’s stupid, Byunghee hyung.”

Cheondoong turned to his left for G.O’s support only to find G.O lost in a trance.

“Uh, hyung?”

G.O snapped out of it as quickly as he went into it. “You know what, kids,” he started, looking back and forth between Joon and Mir. “...this might actually work.”

“...what?” Cheondoong blurted out as Joon and Mir gave each other a high-five.

“Sanghyun, it can work. Really.” G.O faced Cheondoong. “Apart from the awful phrasing and the tacky flip chart, this is actually quite a good idea.”

Joon hugged the flip chart. “Hey, don’t insult the flip chart. I worked hard on this.”

“Uh, hyung,” Mir said. “Actually, I made that...”

Shushing Mir, Joon looked eagerly towards Cheondoong and G.O. “So? Guys? Wanna start tomorrow? I know a couple of pretty girls.”

“Fine, I give up. Let’s just go ahead with this.” Cheondoong threw his hands up in the air. “The problem now though... how are we ever going to get Seungho hyung to agree to this? He loves Yewon too much. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be in this state now.”

Mir’s eyes widened. “We didn’t think about that...”

“Don’t worry, kids.” G.O said thoughtfully. “I’ll convince him.”