The Proposal

Can Love Be Arranged?

A/N: This would take place before the previous chapter


“Alright, that’s it for today. Make sure you do your readings before you attend your tutorial later in the week.” Said Sana.

She waited for anyone to come up to her before she packed up her things from her desk into her bag. Sana trudged back to her car, sighing as she sat down in the driver’s seat. She drove home, yawning a few times before she finally arrived. She quickly showered and jumped onto her bed. Sana was lying on her bed, staring at her ceiling. She had a long day at university and she could just fall asleep. Being a lecturer sure did take the energy out of her. She had to travel two hours each way to the university and speak to rowdy kids of which half of them were asleep or giggling with their friends. People always questioned how she could teach yet be so quiet and shy when it came to conversing. Before she could close her eyes, her cousin Momo burst into her tiny room.

“Sana! You have to get up and get ready and then help me.” Momo said, out of breath.

Sana shot up out of her bed, “Huh? Is someone coming over?” She asked, already moving over to her wardrobe to get dressed.

“Dad’s friend Taecyeon is coming with some jewellery or something. I have no idea.” Momo replied.

“Come on – I’ll help you get ready.” Sana stated, pulling Momo out of her room and heading towards hers.

She pulled out a simple outfit and waited for her to change before she made Momo sit on the chair in front of the mirror. She took a comb and brushed her hair into a neat ponytail.

“You haven’t been studying have you? I can hear the music from my room and I’m sure you’re dancing instead. Aunty will really scold you if she finds out.” Sana scolded.

“Yes but I have you to protect me for now.” Momo teased.

“You can’t always rely on me.” Sana replied.

“Why does Ma even want me to look pretty? She just keeps going on and on about it. She never says anything to you.” Momo pouted, slightly regretting her words. “Sorry Sana. But Ma never talks to you.”

“That’s only because you always take her time by doing silly things.” Sana lied.

She knew very well that Tiffany Aunty didn’t like her at all. She understands her though. Sana was an orphan – her Dad was Nichkhun Uncle’s brother. Her own parents passed away when she was five and Uncle took her in. The incident was still burned into her eyelids since she was part of it too. Her parents had protected her until their last breath. A drunk driver had hit their car and her Mum had protected Sana with her own body. She was regretful that she was the only one who still lived on; she found herself often thinking about how different things would be if her parents had survived. She felt like she didn’t deserve to be the only one who lived on. But what was the point in thinking about things that would never happen or have already happened? She couldn’t still live in her own past.

Sana was always treated differently from Momo since she was little by Aunty. She would close the doors where Momo and Aunty were present or she would pull Momo away from her when they played together. She doesn’t know what she did wrong in her life that would affect Tiffany Aunty but she doesn’t let it affect her. Sana still attempts to be happy, she still smiles at her Aunty and pretends everything is okay. Simply because she was grateful for everything she received from them over the time she had lived with them.

“Come on, let’s go down.” Sana tapped Momo as she finished combing her hair.

Sana walked in first, greeting the guest and passing him a glass of juice.

“No way, this is Sana right? She’s all grown up!” Taecyeon gushed.

“Yes, this is the lovely Sana.” Nichkhun complimented.

“Where have you been hiding this gorgeous girl Nichkhun? My jewellery will be outshined by her beauty.” Taecyeon flattered Sana, making her blush.

Tiffany was glaring at Nichkhun but he didn’t seem to get her signal.

“You know Nichkhun, isn’t it be almost time for her to get married?” Taecyeon asked as he left their household.

“It is but I want her to get married in a nice household.” Nichkhun commented.

“You know how I recognised Sana the moment I saw her? She still has the same shyness and simplicity from when she was a child. She always had a smile on her face no matter what happened to her. She must have had a few proposals at least.” Taecyeon said.

“She has had a few but she doesn’t know. Times are changing and it’s hard finding someone who would be great for her. I want someone who would treat her well, you know?” Nichkhun suggested.

“I know this family – they’re from the city.” Taecyeon started.

“But people from the city –” Taecyeon cut him off.

“This family is different. Sana would fit perfectly in their family. I know them personally. This person, she’s the daughter of the business tycoon Chou Wooyoung – you’ve heard of him right?” Taecyeon suggested.

“In this time and era, who wouldn’t know him?” Nichkhun chuckled.

“She’s a lovely girl. She’s open hearted and friendly – there is no soul who doesn’t like her. She’s Wooyoung’s youngest daughter.

“But they’re from such a high place –” Taecyeon once again cut Nichkhun off.

“Just because they’re from a high place – does it mean they shouldn’t be able to have nice partners?” Taecyeon asked.

“No – no. That’s not what I meant.” Nichkhun shook his head.

“Look, I don’t want to hear anything. Mr Chou wants someone good for his daughter and I know a good partner for that person. Just, give me a picture of Sana and I’ll contact them.” Taecyeon continued.

Nichkhun nodded, bringing a photo from their house as a taxi arrived to take Taecyeon.

He wanted the best for Sana, he really did. He kept her close to himself because he knew that Tiffany wasn’t so accepting of Sana as he’d hoped. He walked back to their house, amused by the scene in the kitchen. Tiffany was shoving some face cream on Momo’s face.

“Ma, why do I have to put this on my face?” Momo complained. “Hey Sana, take a picture – I think you should send it to the zoo.”

Momo paused before she continued. “How great Ma. Sana’s the one who got the proposal from the rich family not me!”

Sana whipped her head up at Momo who had her hands over at the slip up.

“I’m going to go upstairs. I’ll come back later!” Momo shouted, running into her room.

“Tiffany, can I get some coffee?” Nichkhun asked, breaking the weird atmosphere in the kitchen and heading towards his office.

She came in a few minutes later and he beckoned her to sit.

“I know have something against Sana but Tiffany, she needs to get married. You have not once treated her well. Please, for once, let her get married to someone from a good and nice family. If you want to think of it in another way – think of it as getting her out of your hair.” Nichkhun sighed.

Tiffany didn’t respond and simply walked out of Nichkhun’s office.

Meanwhile Sana finished her chores and headed up to Momo’s room.

“What proposal?” Sana asked shyly.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Momo teased.

“Are you seriously not going to tell me?” Sana asked, preparing to tickle Momo.

“No!” She screamed as she bolted from the bed and away from Sana.

Sana chased Momo all the way into Uncle’s office, not realising he was present there.

“Dad, Sana is really excited for the marriage proposal! She can’t wait to know if they’ve said yes or no.” Momo teased, hiding behind him as Sana tried to reach for her.

“Hey! Momo, you liar!” Sana scolded.

Sana was momentarily distracted and Momo escaped the room. She was about to chase after her before Nichkhun called her.

“Sana, with a lot of trust, Taecyeon has taken a photo of you to the prospective family. I don’t know why, but I feel like this will be a good thing for you.” He said sincerely.

Sana nodded; she thought so too.

She way too shy when it came to talking to others. She was okay when students approached her after lectures to ask her questions but her workmates all knew how quiet she was. The fact that she got a proposal delighted her quite a bit. She was almost certain she would never get married because of her never talking to another person. It’s not like she didn’t want to talk to others; she just shied away.

She wondered what the person must look like. How would they react to seeing her own picture? What was the person like? Would she be able to live with them? Would they treat her well? Would she herself be able to talk to the person? What if they get married and her partner doesn’t like her?

Sana sighed heavily – was this really what she wanted? She had always wished for the typical fairy tale romance but with her own character, she knew some things in the story had to be changed. The thought of being married made her giddy. Was all of this too rushed? But she herself shouldn’t be overthinking this whole proposal. What if the other person doesn’t like her in the first place? Sana unconsciously bit her lip in thought, not realising Momo had entered her room.

“You’re overthinking aren’t you?” Momo asked, breaking Sana out of her daze.

“You know me Momo. What if this person doesn’t like me? What if an arranged marriage isn’t the right thing?” Sana questioned.

“Look, from the time I’ve known you, you’re an absolutely caring person. You think about others, you make everyone happy, you’re always smiling, you’re smart, you’re strong and you’re more than capable. You have a big heart Sana; there is no chance the person wouldn’t like you. Plus, you’re pretty cute. I’m sure the person will immediately fall in love with you when they see your picture.  Don’t doubt yourself and who you are.” Momo motivated.

“Since when did you get so analytical and so semantic?” Sana teased.

“Just because I’m not smart when it comes to studying, doesn’t mean I don’t know things about the world!” Momo retorted.

“Alright, alright. Do you have any plans today?” Sana asked.

“No, not really.” Momo pouted.

“Good! Let’s study!” Sana clapped.

“Noooo! I have something to do! I’m going!” Momo whined, escaping Sana’s attempts to keep her in her room.

“Come on Momo! The quicker you do it, the quicker you can get some free time!” Sana offered.

“But I don’t want to! I can study by myself!” Momo sulked.

“Oh really? Last time you said that, you were dancing to JYP’s Honey like a freaking lunatic.” Sana scoffed.

“Hey! Don’t insult my dancing! I was releasing stress at that time!” Momo seethed.

“How about this: You study hard and then you can get a break and I’ll get you some Jokbal too. Agreed?” Sana suggested.

Momo huffed but agreed. Sana knew the way to get Momo to do something is through food.


A/N: Ah, it feels good to post up another chapter xD

I have a ton of work to do but I decided to update instead because... priorities?

Hope you liked the chapter!