Definitely

The Light Beneath A Shadow

Kyungsoo trudged all the way home, with every step it felt like the bags were getting heavier. He wasn't even hungry anymore. Just as he put the key in the lock hole, the door opened wide to reveal Myungsoo's unimpressed face.

"So you are alive?" He asked sarcastically with an eyebrow raised.

"Sorry," Kyungsoo responded with a guilty grimace.

"You should be! It's been three hours. Three!"

Myungsoo waved three fingers in Kyungsoo's face, trying to emphasise his point.

"I got a little....sidetracked."

Seeing his soft smile and distant eyes, his best friend's eyes widened hysterically.

"OH MY GOD!" He shouted, giving the shorter boy a full visual scan before gaping, "you met someone."

He stated as a matter of fact, looking far too smug for the raven's liking. As close as they were, he didn't want to tell him about Jongin. Myungsoo would tell Sungyeol who would then tell everybody and Kyungsoo couldn't do that to to the idol and himself, mostly himself.

He wouldn't be responsible for the deaths that would occur should the fact that he spent part of the night with Exo's main dancer get out to the student population.

Part of the night. Putting it that way it made it sound dirtier than it actually was. And it wasn't. Everything that happened was purely platonic, innocent and friendly. Why wouldn't it be? There were a list of reasons he could come up with to prove his short statement:

1) Idols didn't flirt with their fans. Fans were off limits when it came to dating

2) They weren't even friends and they'd just met yesterday.

3) Jongin was straight. Obviously.

Myungsoo antics right now were more than a little dramatic.

"What? No. Meet who?" He asked, feigning stupidity in the deep voice he liked to call his actor voice.

"I don't know. You've got a happy smile on your face and you've been missing for what? Hours now," the taller boy reasoned with one eyebrow raised.

"Am I not allowed to smile?" Kyungsoo asked incredulously, "and I saw an old friend on the way home and time just flew by I guess," he chucked, keeping his voice completely even and attempting to appear happy - like he'd actually met an old friend and not someone who gave him gastric butterflies.

"You? Old friend?" Myungsoo looked confused, as if the prospect of him having friends was foreign not to mention, impossible. Kyungsoo would have been offended if it wasn't the truth, he could count the number of friends he'd had from childhood on one finger and that one he was sure had been a pity friendship at the age of four that had lasted three days.Luckily Myungsoo didn't know that little tidbit, for the sake of his pride he'd rather keep that embarassing one to himself.

"Yeah," and they both knew the conversation had ended, Myungsoo dropped the issue and soon enough they were eating their chicken in front of a boring movie neither of them were particularly enjoying.

"Noooo.." he heard his roommate moan from his left, "she's using you bro, break up with her," he ordered while waving a chicken leg in the air as if the (in Kyungsoo's opinion) boring character in the film would some how hear him and reach an epiphany. Romantic comedies were so typical; they usually involved cheating, stupidity, drama and a typical happy ending that no one would be able to predict (definitely not).

Okay at least one of them was enjoying it, he thought as he side eyed his friend as he remained immersed in the cliché plot with relish. Although they were so different, Kyungsoo was so grateful to have a friend like him. His first ever real friend - who'd looked past the aloofness and borderline psychopathic tendencies.

He mentally apologised for lying about meeting someone who didn't exist while the other boy chuckled at another joke, looking over at him with an expectant look causing him to smile at his eagerness.

We do this almost every week, when will he get tired of staring back at me whenever something funny happens?

Secretly though, Kyungsoo prayed that he never changed. The day Myungsoo didn't laugh loudly along to his favourite film and explain an obvious joke multiple times while poking him would be the day all hell broke loose. Kyungsoo stared back at their cheap student TV, this film was definitely not his style. He preferred horror, thriller, crime and gore. When he wasn't watching people getting killed in gruesome ways (with a "creepy" smile on his face) he was watching sweet old ladies cook in cooking programs. There was no in between.

But since they lived together, they had a system to make it fair. Each week, one person had ownership of the remote. Sharing and compromise were two things that they'd gotten accustomed to and by now there were no fights and petty arguments that involved no one being able to 'find' the remote for days.

As if the universe could detect his despair and boredom, his phone buzzed. It could be anything but with Kyungsoo's social life it was most likely junk mail that would be promptly deleted.

Kai_ss shared a picture

He clicked on the direct message notification from Instagram and saw a photo of a cute looking dog and a caption 'get home safe? :) '

He gaped at his screen for a few slow seconds. Jongin could have never spoken to him again and gone on his merry way after he'd ungracefully ditched him at a chicken shop, but here he was reaching out to continue something that Kungsoo had thought had ended. He smiled so widely at his screen that his cheeks hurt from the sudden and unexpected pressure, they weren't used to experiencing strain this intense and protested the entire time but he didn't care. He was wrong before, the day could and did get better.

D.O_Kyungsoo

Yeah, you?

 Kai_ss

awesome. yh i mean chanyeol hyung's sleepin on the top bunk & his snores cld wake up a nation.

D.O_Kyungsoo

Damn, can't sleep?

Kai_ss

nah im fine. prcticlly immune by now
helps tht im a heavy sleeper tho :D

D.O_Kyungsoo

You're lucky, I'm such a light sleeper that it's beginning to effect my quality of life. Which because it means that I know exactly when Myungsoo opens up the fridge for his 'midnight snacks'

Kai_ss

haha tht does , but u only have 1 rm8
i share a drm with 10 other guys
aka midnght diet cheating, the stench of sweat & the lack of privacy r all things u qckly get used 2.

D.O_Kyungsoo

Alright, I guess you win. My problems definitely don't compare to yours oh great one!

Kai_ss

nice 2 kno my suffering isnt being taken 4 granted :p

D.O_Kyungsoo

Lol it isn't

Kai_ss

gd!

D.O_Kyungsoo

So...what are you up to?

Kai_ss

txting u lool

D.O_Kyungsoo

Oh really? I didn't notice...

Kai_ss

haha u didn't huh
jst lookin at funny memes & dreading rehearsal tomorro

D.O_Kyungsoo

For your new comeback?

Kai_ss

wouldn't u like 2 kno? ;)

D.O_Kyungsoo

I was only asking to be polite. Your comeback's on October 15th.

Kai_ss

damn it, i underestimated u again lmao
wuu2 then?

 D.O_Kyungsoo

You seem to keep doing that :/ just watching a movie with my roommate and eating takeaway

Kai_ss

im jealous i cld go 4 more chicken right nw :(( ooh wat film?

D.O_Kyungsoo

Talk about bottomless. John Tucker Must Die...

Kai_ss

i love tht film :D

heyy its chicken! it dsnt count!

D.O_Kyungsoo

Same here

Kai_ss

we shld totally hang out thn!
hav a movie nght, esp since wer friends now c:

D.O_Kyungsoo

We are?

Kai_ss

 

well its nt like were strangers...

D.O_Kyungsoo

True. Then yeah we should definitely hang out, it sounds like fun

Kai_ss

awesome! ill txt u wen im free after checking my schedule ^_^

D.O_Kyungsoo

Alright then

 


Kyungsoo put his phone back in his pocket and sneaked a peak at his distracted friend and breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that he was still complaining at the TV.

If you asked him why he lied about liking high school romcoms (which he actually loathed mind you) he would say he didn't know. He didn't want Jongin knowing that unlike him, Kyungsoo would much rather be watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the fifteenth time. He didn't want to scare away his new 'friend'. That's what Jongin had called him and he had no idea why but he couldn't deny how happy the title made him.

"It's finished, you can stop squinting at the screen now," Myungsoo's amused voice brought him out of his musings.

"I was not squinting," he protested, knowing that it was a lie. Stupid astigmatism. The world would be a much fairer place if everyone was blessed with good vision but obviously that wasn't the case.

"Just wear your glasses."

"No."

A sigh.

"Why?"

"And watch this in HD quality? No thanks," he grumpily muttered causing Myungsoo to laugh.

"Whatever."

The other boy proceeded to stretch his legs and place them on Kyungsoo's lap, yawning as he did so.

"If you don't get off of me, so help me God..." he trailed off, finding it hard to sound threatening when the other boy looked so peaceful when he slept. Absolutely nothing like his usual annoying self.

Instead he untangled himself and picked up the discarded boxes on the floor, putting them in the bin.

 

--

 

The next day at university he was sitting in his 9am lecture, notebook in hand, glasses on and ready to learn Mathematics II. Fun. But whispers from the row in front of him caught his attention.

"Did you hear.....Kai and Yoona were confirmed to be dating this morning...."

"Oh my god! I was so surprised! But they actually make such a cute couple don't you think?"

"Yeah! They're both so good looking and perfect, they're so suited for each other,"

SNAP!

Their heads twisted at the sound as they turned to glare at him.

He was momentarily confused until he looked down and saw that his pen (favourite pen, the best one he owned in fact) was now in two pieces. Two useless pieces. If you asked him how and why that happened he wouldn't know.

Kai and Yoona? Kai and Yoona?

It made logical sense it really did, they were both successful, rich, talented and well matched. He could picture them going to classy events as the SNSD member giggled at Jongin's dorkiness. Or maybe he wouldn't show that side to her, maybe he'd be incredibly suave and confident, making her swoon and fall for him further.

Perhaps his awkward laugh and terrible jokes were only revealed in the presence of friends and not attractive girls with beautiful, long hair and soft voices. And that was good for him, Kyungsoo was happy for him, really.

So he tuned his ears to the old professor's voice, wishing that mechanics was more interesting than the hands on the clock that were currently ticking at a 'constant velocity'.

"Any questions?" Doctor Kang asked at the end of the lecture, as usual. The lecturer for once, was having a good day. He'd woken up on the right side of the bed and was ready for a great day of teaching.

Seeing that the teaching was over, as usual most students just began packing up but there was usually one student who asked him questions and although teachers aren't meant to have favourites - he couldn't help but favour the one student who listened attentively and seemed to have a strong passion for his course.

He wished all his students that walked through those doors could share this love.

"Yes Mark."

"Sir, I was wondering when our next group project will be set."

Some people's eyes lit up at the prospect of group work whereas others looked even more fed up. The beauty of youth, he observed, he didn't miss it at all.

"Ah yes, you'll be put in seperate groups of three for your next seminar and the project makes up thirty percent of your grade so for the love of all things sacred, please take this seriously."

He smiled at little sadistically at the collective groans as the hall began to empty out.

He already had a rough idea of some of the people he wanted working together. The idea to put his most passionate student with his least was one that he'd been sitting on for a while.

In the month that they would be working together for a high grade, there would be no doubt that they'd learn something from each other. Yes, Kyungsoo and Mark would go well together.

Now he needed some sort of buffer, someone laid back, someone who could stop tensions rising and things getting out of hand. Maybe Daehyun? But Daehyun did have a tendancy to goof around sometimes and the other two were both definitely the serious sort.

And then the idea came to him suddenly. Why not Min Yoongi? Yes, the calm, sleepy boy was perfect as the final member of the group.

He was looking forward to seeing the changes that would take place.

This might just end up blowing up in his face but he'd sensed Do Kyungsoo's distaste for his subject from the beginning and he was worried that his young student would only become more and more unhappy. He needed something to spark his interest in the field as well as to make friends with the people on his course, then maybe he'd stop coming into the hall like a soldier ready for interrogation and torture. His lectures weren't that bad were they?

 

--

 

After the seminar Kyungsoo, Yoongi and Mark sat down at a cozy little cafe near the university campus. It wasn't rush hour so it was quite empty except a few people here and there. It was the perfect environment for them to talk as a group for the first time.

None of them were particularly loud so it was silent beverage sipping for the most part of their get-together.

Mark had ordered an iced americano, Kyungsoo bought a macchiato and Yoongi was gulping down his black expresso with a speed that suggested he may not be entirely human. Possibly robot. At least he wasn't drinking hot chocolate, people that drank hot chocolate couldn't be trusted. That's just the way life was.

"So where should we meet up to actually do this project?" Yoongi asked.

"Let's do it at mine," Mark offered and Kyungsoo mentally breathed a sigh of relief, "I've got a roommate but he won't mind and it's pretty spacious and clean,"

"Perfect," Kyungsoo responded, taking a slow sip.

"Yeah, that sounds good to me," Yoongi added, nodding.

They exchanged phone numbers and Mark proceed to make a group chat naming it "Mechanics Project" and they all parted ways, planning to meet up again in two days.

While he was walking on the way back his phoned pinged and he slowly fished it out of his jeans pocket. He'd chosen to wear tight black jeans and an equally black jacket with a cap that made him look like a typical mugger, his favorite style. Wearing bright colours was not his thing, some people liked them though and that was fine. For example Mark's cotton candy coloured hair and yellow donut jumper showed that. Yoongi was a mix of the two of them though, with his mint coloured hair and slate grey clothes.

He was faced with the screen lock, a picture of his favourite cartoon character staring up at him as he typed in his password - his date of birth. Yeah it was lame and typical but why not? It was easy to remember, not cheesy and it wasn't like he had anything to hide.

Besides, unlike loads of people, he could count the number of people that remembered the date of his birth with one hand (and that was pushing it). Just as he clicked the app he was suddenly face to face with Jongin's text message. He didn't know how but he wasn't questioning the application anytime soon, he didn't have time to ponder.

Kai_ss

im free on friday.. r u?

 

Kyungsoo typed an instant reply, not caring that his pride demanded at least a ten minute wait until responding. He was so over seeming cool in front of Kim Jongin. It's not like there was a point, the younger liked fart jokes for goodness sake. You couldn't get more uncool than that.

 

D.O_Kyungsoo

Yeah. Its my day off. What are we doing?

Kai_ss

gna wtch the film
is ur dorm ok?

 

A jolt of panic went through him. Just imagining Kim Jongin at his small place, eating his food and sitting on his chairs was enough to give him heart pain. It also made him want to slap himself repeatedly because how could that even be physically possible? But logically it was the only way. Going to his place would be so much easier, it was quiet and offered more privacy.Besides, he was pretty sure he'd faint if he went to the Exo dorms and have the whole group surrounding him like it was a daily occurance. Yes, this was much better, he'd gotten used to speaking to the blond so he was much more comfortable with him. The whole band in one go however, right now that wasn't something he could deal with.

 

D.O_Kyungsoo

Sure it is. See you on Friday then

Kai_ss

:D

 

Now he had an apartment to clean (it was already clean, just not to idol visiting your home standards), a roommate to shoo away and a week to kill.

 


 

 

This took took way long for some weird reason - blame starting university :(  and it's way tier than I intended lool, sorry guys! Please don't kill me *ducks* but seriously, I feel like this chapter was horrible! Comment if there's anything you want to see for the next chapter or what you thought :p

What's going on between kai / yoona and the prof pairing up those three is what I'm looking forward to though haha

Thanks for reading :D, see you soon

xoxoxo