Take Care of Yourself

All About Us

Jae ended up staying with Yebin until the swelling of her wrist went down. While she rested, Jae ran to the convenience store to pick up a wrist brace. Yebin was hesitant to accept it from him since she had no desire to owe him anything. She knew Jae would eventually bring it up again and use it against her. 

The other eventually convinced Yebin to take some time off. She still regularly attended classes but went straight home afterwards. They even had Sam walk her home every day to make sure she didn't go anywhere else. Their argument included not only her physical health but also mental. Even when she wasn't with them Yebin texted both Sam and Kyulkyung every moment to make sure everything was going smoothly. It did feel empty and awkward for her suddenly being away from everyone.

The weekend soon arrived and Yebin decided to dedicate the entire day to catching up on her korean dramas. Being the type of person she is, Yebin wrote down each drama in a specific time table for her to go through. Yebin was comfortably situated on her living room couch when the door bell suddenly rang. No one else was home so she hopped off the couch with a groan to attend the door.

"Surprise!" the members of the journalism club and Day6 were standing at her dront door with Jae in the center holding a cake. They didn't give her time to process their visit and proceeded to push right past her.

Yebin was taken aback by the sudden intrusion and just watched them set the cake and small decorations they picked up on the way. Both Sam and Jae brought their guitars and pulled them out from the case. 

"From the two days you were gone, Sam and I realized we are practically soulmates." Jae placed an arm around Sam who was smiling and nodding.

Yebin glared at Sam, "Six years of friendship my ."

"I love you, Binji!" 

"Wait, that's actually cute. I'm calling you that from now on. Actually a lot of things related to your name are cute! Binnie, Binbinzo, Yebo, Bins, Yebs," Jae continued to list random name branching from 'Yebin'.

She chose to ignore him and moved over to the dining room where everyone else was. Yebin took a seat next to Brian, her favorite member of Day6.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

Yebin smiled, excited to be talking to him, "Other than the fact that you guys just broke into my house, I'm good."

Although she's kept an eye on Brian since she first encountered the boys, she never got the chance to actually talk to them. Everytime she was in a room with Day6, Jae would hog all her attention with the teasing and dumb jokes.

"That's good to hear. I was pretty worried, honestly. All Jae ever does is annoy you. I'm really sorry about that."

"That was really random," she laughed.

Brian laughed along with her, "I know. I just never got the chance to apologize for Jae's stupidity. "

"So I wasn't the only one who noticed it?" 

He shook his head, "You only have to deal with him for so long. Do you know how many hours we spend with that kid a day? We've noticed it since the very beginning. You don't even know anything."

Yebin chuckled at his words, wondering what it would actually be like to spend every day with Jae by her side. She could barely deal with him for more than a couple of minutes. Then it came to her that she was thinking about spending time with Jae and decided to shake the thoughts away. 

"Then I'll consider myself to be rather fortunate."

--

Their small get-well-get-together consisted of sharing stories about the members and experiences from haters. It almost seemed as if they were becoming one big group rather than two separate ones. As they chatted away hours, the only thing on Yebin's mind was that cake. Yebin has never been big on food or sweets after she became self conscious about her weight in the eighth grade. No one knew about her struggle with her self image and always invited her out to eat or offered her food. Yebin would get mad at her friends for doing so even though no one knew why. But for some reason she just couldn't get that one cake out of her mind. 

As if he read her mind, Jae suddenly stood up. "I'm going to eat some cake. I didn't wake up early in the morning to bake a cake for nothing."

"Wait, you made it yourself?" Yebin was genuinely surprised.

"Of course. I don't give out half hearted gifts. I pour my heart and soul into everything," Jae nodded.

"I'm sure you do," she chuckled, shaking her head before getting up to pull the cake out of the fridge. Yebin couldn't get the idea of a six a.m Jae in his kitchen mixing together a mess out of her head. The scene involved a pink apron tied around Jae's waist as he squints at a recipe on his phone. The thought of him made her laugh out loud.

Jae followed behind her. "What are you laughing about? Did you see yourself in the mirror?"

Yebin's smile dropped and she rolled her eyes. "Way to kill my imagination," she grumbled to himself.

Once again Yebin wondered if Jae knew her better than she thought. It was a red velvet cake with small amounts of chocolate frosting and a chocolate smiley face sitting on top. The corners of her lips tugged into a smile as she looked at it.

"You must be thinking 'how does Jae know me so well' right now."

"How did you know?"

Jae just raised a brow. "I'm more observant than you think."

During their afterschool hours together, Jae slowly put together a list of things Yebin likes and dislikes in his head. It isn't that he's purposely keeping track of everything, his memory just works in that way. Jae often heard Yebin telling Sam to pick up red velvet cake or chocolate shakes. He just put two and two together and based his decision to make his cake like that.

Yebin rolled her eyes, disregarding his comment then moving on to take a bite out of the cake. It tasted better than she had expected it. The flavor was good as well as the texture although it was overall a bit dry. She couldn't help but smile. The fact it wasn't perfect meant he really made it himself. It had all the imperfections Jae had. It was almost as if the cake reflected Jae's personality. 

"Do you like it that much?" Jae teased.

"I had higher expectations, Mr. Park," Yebin lied in return. She had to forcefully push down her smile as she spoke to him with a poker face. For some reason her heart was racing. Maybe it was partially because of the sweets. Maybe he poisoned the desert. 

It was mainly because of Jae and she knew it.