Rocky Road

All About Us

Party planning proved to be a lot worse than they had originally expected. Both sides wanted a different theme, different decorations, different stage props, and other trivial details. By both sides, it's just Jae and Yebin. The members of both groups expected Jae and Yebin to finally make up after hitting lows together. But three years of bickering can't change overnight.

Yebin would scribble her ideas over the dirtied white board in the basement room and when she left to handle another aspect of the party, Jae would drop by to change it to his preferences. Eventually Yebin started writing in permanent marker which led to Jae crossing it out and writing over it. For the most part is was just Jae finding amusement in Yebin's panicking. He thought it was cute the way she scrambled around the room while everyone else was calmly working on their jobs.

One of Yebin's biggest flaws is her need to be in constant control of everything. While everyone has assigned jobs to do one thing, she was in charge of everything. She made sure work was done perfectly. She redid all the budget calculations over fifty times just to be sure. She even had an alarm set for every thirty minutes to remind everyone to save their work in case the power goes out.

They had two weeks to plan the party for that month was coming to an end. Yebin's infamous 'time of the month' was forced to visit earlier this time much to the others' misfortune.

"I think you just need to take a breath," Jae suggested, placing a worried hand on Yebin's shoulder. 

She shook it off with a glare. "No, you need to take more breathes in between your lines so you don't sound like a seventy year old smoker in the middle of a song."

"Ouch." He held up a hand to his heart with a feigned pained expression. Although Yebin's words were harsh, Jae had already grown used to them. They never really affected him in the first place which only made Yebin more frustrated with him. She wasn't used to people not being scared of her threats.

"Let's get this over with so we can go home and I don't have to deal with you anymore." Yebin then quickly left to complete inventory for the party decorations.

"So much for forgiving you guys," Sam sighed, giving Jae a sympathetic look. Kyulkyung also came over to apologize for Yebin's behavior. The two people who understand Yebin the most are Sam and Kyulkyung. The three have been best of friends since their junior high school years. 

"It's all good. I don't really mind her. It's kind of cute actually," Jae responded with a chuckle before following Yebin.

Sam and Kyulkyung exchanged shrugs before returning to their respective stations.

Yebin sat down with Sungjin, the leader of Day6, to try and work something out. Honestly, Yebin only hated Jae out of Day6. The rest of the members were considerate to her thoughts and gave her the space she required. In fact Yebin and Sungjin got along pretty well. She didn't really understand why it was always Jae sent to deal with her.

"I like the idea of having a semi-formal dress code. Although this is a high school party on a low budget, the whole mood will be more sophisticated if people dress nicer," said Sungjin.

"Plus, high school students like to act like adults. This will leave a good impression on them," Yebin agreed. 

Sungjin checked dress code of their topics to discuss before moving on to the next one. "What do you think about theme?"

"Since the place has a lot of windows, I was thinking like a starry night or night to remember kind of things. You know, like in those western movies? Their prom themes and stuff."

"P-Prom?" Sungjin stuttered mistaking her words for another word that starts with p and ends with orn. 

"Exactly! Doesn't that seem like a good idea? Kids are always trying to fit into western culture nowadays."

"Prom-" he repeated once again in English.

"Yes, prom."

Jae, who was standing (and eavesdropping) nearby, realized what Sungjin had in mind and quickly went over to explain what she meant. "It's a school dance they have in high school. Not what you're thinking."

Sungjin's face flushed red as he nodded, "I see."

"What did you mistake it for?" Yebin asked unaware of the situation.

"Babies like you don't need to know," Jae laughed.

Yebin hated how Jae always refered to her as a child or baby when they were in the same grade. Jae always managed to put her down and throw her temper out of the park. Overall she hated how much control he had over her emotions.

"At least I don't act like a six foot baby with overgrown limbs," Yebin yelled out of nowhere and left the room in a hurry.

It embarrassed her how he could do this to her. His every word affected her more than anyone's and she never understood why. The stress from having only a few months left and having to throw this amazing party for everyone was already crushing her. Having Jae around teasing her all the time only pushed her past her limit. 

Jae went to run after Yebin but Sam beat him to it. Sungjin smacked the back of Jae's neck and shook his head at the boy.

Like in the dramas, Sam grabbed Yebin by the wrist and spun her around. However they don't live in the world of a drama and Sam ended up using too much strength for Yebin's tiny wrists to handle and twisted it. There was a loud cracking sound, alarming both of them. She screeched and held her wrist in pain. The others quickly ran out after hearing her scream.

"Yebin!" Kyulkyung cried out. She ran over to Yebin and gently touched her wrist, "What happened?"

Yebin just shook her head as tears started to fall down her face. She was already crying from buildup of stress and the pain only made it worse. Even in this situation Yebin wanted to yell at everyone to get back to work but words wouldn't come from . 

"Are you ok?" Jae pushed between Yebin and Kyulkyung and held her uninjured hand.

Sam just stood behind them all in shock. He looked down at his hand and just thought "wow, am I really that strong?" before worrying about Yebin. He also couldn't help but wonder how he managed to hurt her. The realization that Yebin was actually more fragile than she came off as finally hit him.

They swiftly took her over to the clinic to get some ice for her wrist. Yebin managed to convince everyone to go back but Jae insisted on staying with her. The others were actually hoping they could take the chance of her injury to take a break but still weren't able to.

--

Yebin just laid in the bed, facing the wall away from Jae. The silence was neither comfortable nor awkward. It was just there. Jae felt bad for being the reason she stormed out of the room in the first place. He also regretted not being the one to go after her. 

Surprisingly, Yebin was the first to speak. "You don't have to be here." 

"But I want to be here."

"Why? So you can just make fun of me some more?" Yebin sniffled.

Jae chuckled, "You realize that's not the only thing I know how to do right? I'm here because I'm worried about you, Yebin."

A flutter in Yebin caused blood to rush into her cheeks. Another weird emotion brought to her by Jae. Yebin knew what she was feeling but decided to think of it as something else. 

"You're actually the worst, you know?" Yebin mumbled to herself, "Making me all flustered."

Her last sentence was too quiet for him to hear, but Jae still knew what she was thinking.