Three Months

All About Us

It was five in the evening and the entire five members of the journalism club were gathered in a circle on the dusty, basement floor. With the next month's addition due in a couple of days, President Kwon Yebin was about to chew off everyone's hair. She's always like that around the end of the month.

"Let's try to finish this meeting before those knuckleheads next door get in. How's that? You think we can do that without moving on to discuss last night's soccer game or other dumb like that?" Yebin asked, clearly trying her best to keep calm.

"Noona, are you ok? I think I see steam coming out of your head!" the youngest, Jungkook, exclaimed, drawing chuckles from the others.

"Jeon Jungkook. I-" Yebin raised her voice before stopping herself to take a deep breath, "I swear if I hear that little jackass Jae's ugly voice again today, I'm going to rip out his vocal chords."

Kyulkyung frowned, "But he sings so well!"

"I know- I mean," she cleared , "What happened to not getting off topic?"

"Yo, you're the one who started talking about Jae, Yebs," Sam added.

"Ok, I'm a hypocrite and I don't know how to shut my mouth how's that? I'm just going to start. We have most of our articles complete, we just need our monthly interview."

Kyulkyung's upset face did not change. "No one wants to give an interview. They all think it's 'embarrassing' to be written about in the school paper."

"It'll be embarrassing for them when I pin their heads on the bulletin board."

Jungkook whispered to Sam, "It suprising how such scary words can come from such a harmless face. Is this why no one dares to join the club?"

Jungkook was new the club. He joined earlier that month after Sam discovered his hidden ability to write. This was his first time experiencing 'Yebin's time of the month' and he was horrified.

"She's fine when she's not in this rusty basement. I think the particles get into her brain," Sam explained, nodding.

"Side conversations! Sam Kim, I expected more from you," Yebin scolded, "Anyways, if that's the case then it looks like we'll be getting a teacher interview again this month. Kyulkyung you write up the questions since you're the nosiest person here and Jinah, you go find Mr. Han for the interview. Jungkook, go with her to take notes and Sam you can go find the camera. I'll stay here and edit that article you sent me last night."

"Yes, Yebono," the group responded.

"Don't call me that what even-" Yebin just shook her head and swatted her hand towards the door.

They left her alone in the room. With a heavy sigh, Yebin picked herself up and took a seat at her workstation. The room had a flimsy curtain that had not been pulled over yet since the boys of Day6 didn't arrive yet. She eyed the door and smiled at the thought of peace and quiet. Yebin pulled up the article Sam sent her and began fixing his (many) mistakes. Half an hour passed and she was still working on the same piece before the door opened.

"Sam, how did you even do this? I'm pretty much just writing it myself from all the corrections," she nagged, eyes still fixed on the screen.

"Hello to you, too, Kwon Yebin."

It was definitely not Sam's voice. Yebin swung her chair around to see a tall, lanky boy with his guitar.

"Jae."

"That's what they call me, but you definitely call me," he spun on his heels with a click of his tongue, "tonight."

"The only thing I'm calling tonight is the police station for your atrocious sounding voice."

Jae's lips curved into a smirk, "That's the Yebin I know and love."

"Out of all the members why am I stuck here with you? Why isn't cutie Dowoon or handsome Brian here?"

"You were blessed with the best. Also, the other guys are going to be busy until like eight."

"They're probably just practicing somewhere without me. It's about time they dropped the weak link."

"Ouch, it must be that time of the month again," Jae backed up, raising his hands.

"Yes, it is. So if you would excuse me, I'm going back to work."

Yebin spun her chair back around and heaved yet another sigh before placing her hands back on the keyboard. Seeing her completely stressed out worried Jae a bit, so he just stepped away and let her be.

--

The next months edition was released and once again completely ignored by the students. As the dedicated president of the club, Yebin arrived at the room right when school ended, even skipping dinner to start planning for the next month. In the middle of her planning, Principal Baek walked in.

"Hello kids!" his voice greeted a bit too friendly.

She jumped up immediately, bowing forward. "Hello, Principal Baek." 

"I read last months newspaper!"

Yebin smiled. "Really? Did you like it?"

Principal Baek has never visited the club before, which draws more attention to the reason for his sudden appearance. Yebin couldn't help but hope he would give them more money for better laptops and cameras or move them out of the basement. She kept a friendly smile on her face to maintain her good student image.

"Of course I did! I always love all of your pieces. I learn a lot about you kids through it."

"Thank you so much!" Yebin bowed repetitively.

"Unfortunately," Principal Baek started.

Yebin's heart dropped. It was as if she knew what he would say.

"No one else really read it. It's usually only the staff even though this is the student paper. You know that I cherish this club and have high hopes for it, but we can no longer continue supporting you guys if no one buys a copy. I know how much you love journalism, Yebin, but I just can't continue this club any longer. The other higher up staff members have been talking about taking you guys down for months now. I've been doing my best."

"I'm doing my best, too," Yebin whispered.

"Yebin, you know I don't want to have to do this," he stated again.

"Can you give us one more chance? The kids and I have been working extremely hard. It would break my and their hearts. Give me three months to bring up sales. Just until the end of this year, please," she begged, her voice cracking.

Principal Baek sighed, "I can't promise anything, but I'll try."

Yebin's face lit up again as she wiped away a tear, "I won't fail you! If we can't raise sales within three months, I'll move everything out of here myself."

"Then it's a deal. I'm only doing this because all of you have so much talent in writing and manage to still keep up your grades. I'll believe in you. Good luck!" he patted her shoulder before taking his leave.

Once she heard the door close, Yebin sank to the floor. Half of her was anxious while the other half was relieved she bought more time. Although something such as the school newspaper seems to be insignificant, it's been Yebin's dream to be a journalist since she was just a child. The high school paper was her first step. When she joined the club her first year, she was the brightest there and worked the hardest. Yebin was the first to arrive and the last to leave. The previous members left the club in her care without a single worry. She couldn't let her sunbaes, and now also her hoobaes, down.

"How am I supposed to tell the kids?" she wondered to herself.

In the end, Yebin decided to keep it to herself in order to protect the feelings of the other members. She didn't want them to feel upset or even embarrassed to be part of something that can barely hold on. As president, she decided to bear the weight herself.

A voice interrupted her thoughts. "Man, that's rough."

"Jae, why are you always here to make things worse?" Yebin hissed.

"I'm not looking for trouble. I just feel bad."

"I don't need your pity, Mr. I play the guitar therefore I'm better than everyone."

"Look, you're not the only one with issues like this, ok? In fact I've been having a pretty rough day, too."

Yebin scoffed, "And why should I care? I want to be alone right now. So please just leave," a tear rolling down her cheek interrupted her sentence, "You know what, never mind. I'll just leave. This room will be all yours in three months anyways."

Before he could see her face wet with tears, she fled home.

--

During their break time, the members of the club went to the Mango Six Cafe near the school to grab something to eat. They were chatting among each other happily, muching on their snacks.

"I think I got Bae Suzy to do an interview for us!" Jungkook suddenly brought up.

"What? Why didn't you say anything before?" Yebin's voice nearly screeched.

"I just remembered. Suzy sunbae is my friend's noona. I was talking to her about the interview with Ms. Han last edition and mentioned how no one was willing to give up an interview. Then sunbae suddenly offered to interview! I can't tell if she was kidding or not, but she will probably do it."

Bae Suzy is without question the most loved girl at school. With looks, brains, and personality, she stands out as the school queen. Yebin never even dared to ask her for an interview. She had a good feeling Suzy's interview would help them.

"I heard Day6's members are pretty close to Suzy. Maybe when we go back, we can ask them to ask her for us," Kyulkyung suggested.

"No thank you. I'd prefer not dealing with that dimwit Jae."

"Did you guys hear Principal Baek is taking down Day6?" Sam mentioned, taking a break from chewing.

A piece of bread fell out of Yebin's mouth. "He's doing what?"

The words exchanged between her and Jae from that day came back. Yebin realized the rough day he had was from Day6 being forced to disband and immediately regretted the harsh things she spat at him. 

"I'm such a ," she mumbled before grabbing her bag and running back to the basement to find Jae.

--

That is the end of chapter one! It's sort of a slow and terribly written chapter but I just really wanted to update the story even though I have terrible writer's block. I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!