-Four

Anomaly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A couple of days had passed since then, and Jonghyun found himself drowned in work. The freight trains now had a regular pattern and his work had begun to grow more mundane. On Friday, when the freight trains returned early, he sat upon the waiting benches, gazing at the tracks, at the opposite platform, stirring slightly upon finding Onew stand there for a while then disappear. He was standing beside him a moment later, sitting down as he asked, “None of other employees gaze at the tracks like you do.”

 

Jonghyun smiled softly, noticing that Onew’s mien was more pleasant, more forthcoming. Maybe because he had adored Kibum, and now he was at peace, after having seen him find his peace. Or maybe his own perception of him had changed. He sighed, “It’s kinda a habit, being aimlessly thoughtful.”

 

“What do you think about when you see the tracks?”

 

“Sometimes I think they are the path of life, and sometimes, it’s not our fault if we get halted, derailed, collide and break. Sometimes, all we need is to be careful, sometimes all we need is some help. It always ends, sometimes it starts again, sometimes, the end….is the just the end.” He realized he may have uttered some confusingly deep words, and he chuckled, “Sometimes I really can’t follow what I am thinking myself. Don’t try to understand me if you can’t. It’s totally fine.”

 

Onew smiled, “No, I understand how and why you could think like that...it’s interesting and somewhat true.”

 

Jonghyun smiled as well, and his smile lingered until his thoughts glided back into his mind, and he suddenly remembered, “I haven’t seen Taemin around.”

 

“He’s at the graveyard.” Onew answered, “He usually sits on the tree and watches the graves until dusk and then plays with the signal box during the night.”

 

Jonghyun grew silent, thinking a while before he asked, “Do you know anything about his life...or death?”

 

Onew turned to him, a little taken aback at Jonghyun’s question, understanding his unwavering eyes that Jonghyun wanted to help Taemin as well. He looked ahead at the opposite platform, “I don’t know anything about him.” He sighed, “Kibum was very noisy in the beginning and listening to his nonsensical words, paying attention to his behavior, I made sense of what troubled him. Taemin...Taemin used to just stand there, on the platform…” He gestured to the opposite platform, “Stand still all day and night, watching the wreckage of the accident be cleaned. He followed where his body was taken...to the graveyard next to the tracks, and he stood before his grave. It took a year for him to finally step out of it and a couple of months more before he spoke to us properly. He opened up eventually, but he never revealed...what his life and death had been.” Onew furnished a darkened driver’s license, “I pulled this out of the wreckage.”

 

Jonghyun took it, finding Taemin’s picture on it. He went over his details...he was just a college kid.

 

Jonghyun’s thoughts suddenly caught another anomaly, “Why...how did you know?” He asked Onew, “That these certain belongings would come in use? Did you...did you know you would meet me?”

 

“No,” Onew answered, his voice softer, “Neither did I expect it.”

 

The change in his tone struck Jonghyun, “Then...why?”

 

Onew closed his eyes, and Jonghyun caught the dismay in his peace, unconcealed momentarily on his pale face, “I did not,” Onew whispered, “I did not want them to forget themselves.”

 

 

 

The weekend was off for Jonghyun and he stayed in his dorm, watching tv but he couldn’t help but ponder upon Onew’s words. Somehow reminiscence sparked an ache within him, dull yet evident, that made him more curious than he should be, but he sustained it within himself and instead decided to find out about Taemin through the driver’s license Onew had handed him.

 

Taemin’s home was in another city, a city far away and that meant he could not do anything personally. He instead dialed the residence on Sunday evening, successfully whipping out excuses and questions that helped him get a better idea of what Taemin once used to be.

 

He went to work next week, as usual, thinking over his knowledge, not certain how he would approach Taemin. He usually visited the graveyard after Onew had mentioned it, trying to make sense of Taemin’s behavior. He stood before Taemin’s grave often, looking to the grave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter