-One

Anomaly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jonghyun was a train dispatcher, who had recently completed his training and had been assigned to a run down station somewhere on the edge of the city after having assisted at a busy station for a few months. It was an opening he had actually volunteered for because he thought it might be pretty simple- working at a less busy station. But after being assigned the job officially, he had come to know the true nature of his workload and his spirits had dimmed.

 

It had been too late to back away and anyway, he was the kind to look at the brighter side of things. There was so much he was yet to learn, and this might not look like it, but it might be just the perfect stepping stone. He had packed and moved to a closer dorm and was heading for the station as soon as he had checked in, sighing as it came into his view, a pretty ancient and abandoned scene in comparison to the previous place he had worked at.

 

He stood before the gates for a while, breathing in the fresher breeze of this part of the town, smiling a little when it tousled his ashy hair, tickling his eyes. He fixed his hair with his fingers before taking a deep breath, deciding to walk in with a positive mindset. He entered the station and headed straight to the office, following the boards and signs, finding no sign of the other employees at the platform or on the first landing, but finding them instead on the above landing, crowded (maybe not, because there were only three men standing there) in front of what was supposed to be his office.

 

The moment they noticed him and realized who he was from his uniform, they greeted him, letting him in, where Jonghyun’s eyes fell upon the commotion that had them gathered. The computer and the comms were being set up. Jonghyun sighed and decided to wait for it to be finished, smiling at the other three who stood, hoping that they would while his time away with conversation.

 

Seeing his forwardness, one of the men, who had introduced himself as the track inspector handed him a letter with the Government’s seal on it and Jonghyun took it, reading it right away. It was different from the letter of assignment he had gotten and seemed more like a circular sent to the employees of this station, his own copy of which he might have missed because he was moving dorms. It restated the task at hand- that this station, which had been closed after the accident three years ago, was to be reopened temporarily to guide a few freight trains for major construction work happening nearby, after which it would be abolished because a replacement was in works as well. What new it stated was that the train dispatcher assigned would function as the station master as well and would distribute and balance responsibilities accordingly amongst the employees and himself, keeping in view the shortage of personnel in the area.

 

Jonghyun sighed, realizing why he had been handed the letter. He had worn the wrong uniform to work.

 

“I missed this.” Jonghyun waved the letter, whining slightly irritatedly. Being a station master meant he was entirely responsible for this old dysfunctional station, which didn’t exactly seem like a very exciting idea to him at the moment. Being the station master was actually an  authoritative and a managerial position and though it was a better post, he didn’t quite like it. To put it frankly, it was boring and taxing; moreover, the pay was pretty stagnant. He continued reading and found the list of assigned employees. One track inspector and two railway assistants for maintenance, who had already been working here on direct orders after the station was closed down.

 

“Actually, we were not going to tell you this,” The track inspector began, “We were under the impression that we were getting a stern boss here but you seem like a decent fellow and are surprisingly young so…”

 

“So what?” Jonghyun urged, slightly tensed.

 

“This place is haunted.”

 

Jonghyun’s face fell, and he sighed, groaning softly, leaving the other three slightly confused by his reaction.

 

 

 

The reason Jonghyun wasn’t irked after hearing about the station being haunted was because his life had always included those lost souls. He was born with supernatural senses- he was a medium. His grandmother was one too and she had some fortune-telling cafe which his family had continued.  He didn’t want to be a part of that business of entertaining and duping people (mostly, unsuccessfully) hence he had taken the first proper opportunity that came his way- to be a trainee in the railway industry. He chose to be a train dispatcher because it was pretty interesting fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter