Mr. Oh

Troublemaker

Soooo.. English isn't my first language so sorry if there are any mistakes :3

 


 

[Baekhyun pov]

After a long day I got home from work, only to find pieces of clothing spread out across the living room. After putting down my bag I went to pick them all up, seems like Jongin brought a boy home this time. Just as I was gathering all the pieces and putting them on the table, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I turned around and saw my little brother Jongin standing behind me, only wearing his boxers. He grabbed the clothes, gave me a wink and walked back up the stairs.

 

I didn’t even ask questions because I was used to this situation. He used to be one of the best students in class, had plenty of nice friends, he had never caused any trouble, but that all changed when our mother died 2 years ago during a car accident. Jongin was in the car with her but somehow survived with only a few scratches. Our father had left us when we were still kids so we had no one left. So me and my boyfriend Chanyeol decided become his legal guardians and took care of him.

 

 

The first few months Jongin was a mess, he only cried, didn’t wanna come out of his room and didn’t say a word to me or Chanyeol. But when he went back to school, things only got worse. He didn’t talk to his old friends anymore and his new ones weren’t exactly the ones I wanted him to be around. He made it a common thing to come home late, smelling like cigarettes, sometimes even drugs. At school he got into fights with other students all the time and he even was caught having in the school's bathroom multiple times.

 

We’ve had several talks with the principal and it’s a miracle he didn’t get expelled yet. I think they might feel bad for our situation, I mean raising a teenager isn’t an easy task for a couple who is only 26 years old themselves.  

 

I sometimes wonder if Chanyeol regrets our decision. We had just had bought our own house and our relationship was better than ever. But since mom died and Jongin came to live with us, things slowly went downhill. We had fights all the time about Jongin. Chanyeol thought I needed to take more control of Jongin’s life, but I just couldn’t do it. Everytime I see him that image of a little boy crying because his mom died comes to my mind. I don’t want him to be locked in his room forever, so I just let him live his life like he wants to and only step in when necessary.

 

 

I snapped out of my thoughts when the front door opened. Chanyeol walked in with his guitar case in his hand. He put it down next to me and kissed my cheek. We might have some arguments from time to time, but Chanyeol is still the best thing that happened to me. We met 5 years ago in a bar, I was just having a drink with my friends and he was a beginning songwriter who sometimes performed his own songs for fun at that bar.

 

“Hey Yeol, are you hungry?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah, it was a long day. I finally finished that one song, I’ll let you listen to it later tonight.” He grabbed his case again and made his way towards the stairs.

 

“Tell Jongin dinner will be ready in 30 minutes. Ooh and don’t go in his room, he has a visitor.” I quickly added that last part.

 

He seemed a bit confused at first, but after a few noises escaped Jongin’s room he seemed to have finally gotten it. “Ooh… that kind of visitor.”

 

 

An hour later me and Chanyeol were sitting on the dinner table, already done eating but still waiting for a certain person. Finally we heard a door open upstairs and Jongin came down with a smaller boy following him. He walked the boy to the door and I saw him slapping his one more time before closing the door behind him.

 

“I thought you had a girlfriend? Sylvana right?” I asked Jongin and he shook his head.

 

“You said that correct, I had. She wanted to go on dates and stuff and I didn’t like all that so I broke up with her.” Not even caring his food was already cold he started eating really quickly.

“After 2 days?” Chanyeol asked and Jongin only laughed in response.

“And when do you think are you ready for that? To settle down with someone?” I actually hoped he soon would find someone who could control him.

“I’m only 16, I have plenty of time to mess around before I get into something serious.”

“This boy looked kinda cute though, isn’t he one to keep?” It didn't happen often but sometimes he did bring someone with him that actually looked like a decent human being instead of a or some thug.

“Kyungsoo? No way. He’s way too shy and boring for me.”

“Then how did you convince him in coming home with you if he’s so shy?”

“You have no idea how convincing I can be.” he said with a dirty smirk on his face.

“I don’t wanna know to be honest. Also why are you eating so quickly, are you in a hurry?”

“I actually am, I’m going to hang out with Kris at the bar tonight, but things with Kyungsoo took longer than I expected.”

“Please spare me the details. And wasn’t Kris grounded for 2 weeks for fighting at that club last week?”

“Yeah he is.” was all he answered. He stood up from the table, grabbed his coat and walked out of the front door.

“Baek, he’s really out of control. We need to do something before they get into fights with the wrong people and don’t make it out in one piece.” Chanyeol said as soon as Jongin closed the door behind him.

“I know,” I sighed “I just don’t want him to be like he was 2 years ago. I know he still feels guilty for what happened to mom. He at least gets out of the house now.”

“Maybe we should try some psychology sessions with him again?”

“Remember the last woman who tried that? She ended up getting punched in the face by him.”

“Okay nevermind.”

“Just leave him be Chanyeol, as long as he doesn’t get into real trouble just let him do what he wants.”

“I don’t know Baek…”

“Let’s just forget about it go upstairs, I want to hear your new song.”

“Sounds like a plan.”    

 

The next day I was sitting in my office at work when my phone rang and the number of Jongin’s high school appeared on the screen.

“Oh god… not again” I sighed and picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello Mr. Byun. It’s Kim Junmyeon, Jongin’s principal. He got into some trouble again, Is it possible to come over for you right now?”

I checked my watch, my shift wasn’t done for another 4 hours but I wanted this to be solved as soon as possible “Alright, I’ll be there in 15 minutes”

“Thank you, see you soon.”

I stood up from my desk and walked towards the door. “Jongin again?” Jongdae, one of my friends but also colleagues asked. I nodded in response. “Just be back in time okay? We need to finish these reports before the end of the day.” I gave him a thumbs up and got to my car.

 

When I arrived at the principal's office I saw Mr. Kim sitting there, along with Jongin and someone I had never seen before but somehow looked familiar.

“Mr. Byun, please take a seat.” Mr Kim said and I took the empty seat next to a smiling Jongin.

“Hey bro, nice to see you here.” he said. I decided to just not respond and directed my attention towards Mr. Kim.

“So as I told you Jongin got into trouble. Why don’t you tell your brother what happened Jongin?”

“This ov- ouch!”

“Jongin!” I smacked the back of his head. “I told you not to use that word!”

He kept rubbing his head while continuing “Alright, this man over here started shouting at me in class.”

“We’ll he probably had a reason for that. What did you do this time?”

“I have no ing clue.”

“Let me tell you what happened” the guy next to Mr. Kim suddenly spoke. I looked at him and I still couldn't help wondering if I ever saw him before. “I’m Mr. Oh, Jongin’s new math teacher.”

Suddenly my eyes widened, I immediately recognised that voice. This voice belonged to a guy I had the biggest crush on in high school. This was Oh Sehun, only now with glasses and blond hair, probably the reason I didn’t recognize him at first. My hands started to get a bit sweaty and I got slightly nervous knowing this guy was actually in the same room as me after so many years.

“Jongin didn’t do his homework for a week straight and when I asked him the reason for it, he came over to me and tried to punch me.”

Jongin was known for hitting people who said something he disliked. All his teachers knew about it so they didn’t even try to argue with the boy. But apparently they forget to tell Sehun about Jongin’s little problem.

“Luckily he missed.” Sehun continued. “But when I gave him a warning to never try that again he started cussing at me and pulled out a small knife from his bag.”

I looked at Jongin in shock.

“What?” Jongin said whilst shrugging his shoulders. “I wasn’t actually gonna use it, I just wanted to scare him.”

I knew he liked to punch people and threaten them with words but I would have never thought he would carry an actual weapon with him. “I’m so sorry…” was the only thing I could say at that moment.

“Jongin…” Mr. Kim spoke “You have to understand Mr. Oh can easily press charges against you for this. And the police won’t be as nice to you as we have been all this time.”

It was my biggest fear, and I don’t know how but Jongin never got arrested. He always got away with a warning or with a small fine. It was always a scary thought for me that Jongin could be taken away from me and Chanyeol if he went too far. He might be a real troublemaker, but he was still my baby brother who I would take a bullet for at any moment.

“But I won’t,” Sehun suddenly said. “This was your one and only chance Byun Jongin. If you do something like this again I will go to the police without hesitation.”

“Do you understand that Jongin?” Mr. Kim asked him but Jongin didn’t answer

“Jongin, Mr Kim asked you something!”, sometimes my little brother’s attitude drove me crazy.

“I understand” he finally said but I wasn’t happy with his answer yet.

“And don’t you wanna say something else to Mr Oh.?”

Luckily he didn’t challenge me this time and let out a soft “I’m sorry”.

“Alright, Jongin your last class is almost finished by now so you can just go home with your brother. But I’d like to speak with you first in private Mr. Byun if that’s okay with you.”

I nodded and told Jongin to go wait on the hallway until I was finished. When Sehun also walked out of the office Mr. Kim turned to me.

“Mr. Byun, Jongin is really being a problem lately. Earlier this week he was also caught dealing drugs but since he was just outside the school grounds I couldn’t say anything about it.”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t expect him to actually carry a knife with him. I’ll make sure to talk to him when we’re home.”

“I know you and your brother’s situation hasn’t been easy for the past few years, but when my other students get in danger I feel the need to step in. If I see him carry a weapon ever again on the school ground I have no choice but to expel him and get the police involved.”   

“I understand. I’m sorry for everything he has done. Me and my boyfriend are trying to raise him well but he’s not making it easy on us.”

“I know Mr Byun. I just need you to realise it’s getting worse every time and it needs to stop before it’s too late. Now take him home and talk to him.”

I stood up from my chair and walked to the hallway where Jongin was standing, about to light a cigarette.

“You know damn well that’s not allowed in here.” I pulled his arm, making him drop his cigarette and dragged him with me towards the exit. When we got outside I saw Sehun walking towards his car that was parked close to mine.

“Jongin get in the car and wait for me.” I said while handing him the car keys.

I walked over to Sehun and tapped his shoulder. He turned around with a surprised look “Mr. Byun?”

“I’m so sorry about what happened Sehun.”

He started to look confused now “How do you know my first name is Sehun?”

“Ooh I’m sorry. I’m Byun Baekhyun, you probably don’t remember but we used to go to high school together.”

He still looked confused “I’m sorry, I don’t remember.”

I felt like my heart was shattered in a million pieces, my highschool crush didn’t even remember my name, even when we spend some decent time in class together.

“We used to sit next to each other during chemistry and biology.”

Suddenly something seemed to connect inside Sehun’s head “Ooh wait... didn’t I tutor you maths for a while?”

“Yes you did!” I almost shouted. I was smiling because I was so happy he finally remembered me.

“So Jongin is your younger brother? How come your parents don’t come to school for this kind of stuff?”

“It’s a bit of a difficult story, but I’m his legal guardian. Again I’m sorry for what happened.”

“Ooh really, that’s interesting. But don't worry about it man, I’ve had students like Jongin last year, I can handle him.”

“You better watch out for him though, he can really be a pain in the .”

“We’ll see, hopefully he will behave from now on in my class. But I’ve got to go now, it was nice seeing you again Baekhyun!”

He got in his car and waved at me before driving off. I waved back at him and just stood there for a few moments before walking towards my own car, still with a huge smile on my face.

 


 

[Jongin pov]

I quickly raised the car window when I saw my brother walk towards the car. I hadn’t been able to pick up on the all of the conversation, but I heard enough things that had interested me.

Baekhyun got the car next to me and started the engine. “Why are you smiling like that?”

“Nothing, just thinking of something funny.”

“You won’t be smiling anymore when we get home. Chanyeol will be mad at you for this.”

“I know.” Chanyeol was always pissed at me. He tried to control every minute of my life and I didn’t like that at all. I really hated the guy, I really don’t know why my brother likes him so much. I would prefer to live alone with my brother than with that yoda lookalike. Baekhyun also scolded me if I got in trouble, but at least he’d leave me alone for the rest of the day.   

“Just please don’t do something like this again. If they take you away from us you’ll probably end up in a family where there are way more rules then we give you right now. For s sake Jongin, as much as I hate you most of the time, I don’t wanna lose you.”

It still amazes me how Baekhyun puts up with all of my . I sometimes feel guilty for doing this to him. But then I remember the accident, it made me realize how life can end so abruptly. It made me wanna make the most out of my life now I still can, not caring about others at all.

“You won’t lose me because that guy will never go the the police, he wouldn’t wanna break his little fanboy’s heart.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

A smirk appeared on my face because I saw a slight hint of panic in his eyes. “Ooh please hyung. You were basically eye ing him in the principal’s offices and just outside the car you looked like a love struck 14 year old girl.’’

“We were just talking about what happened today. I have literally no idea what you were talking about.”

The fact that he was hiding things for me was interesting, so I wasn’t supposed to know he knew my teacher from when he was young.

“I thought you two were in high school together?”

“Jongin, were you eavesdropping?”

“Maybe, or maybe I’m just very good at lip-reading.”

“You little .”

“Love you too Baekie.”

Baekhyun sighed “So what do you want me to say now? Yes, I know Oh Sehun from high school and no, I wasn’t ‘eye ing’ him.”

“If you say so… Are you gonna tell Chanyeol about meeting your old friend?”

“Why would I? He doesn't even know Sehun.”

“I don’t know, sounds like you wanna hide it from him. I wonder why...”

He just shook his head and ignored me. The rest of the car ride was silent and when we arrived home, I already saw Chanyeol’s car on the driveway. This wasn’t going to be a warm welcome.

 

When I walked through the front door, Chanyeol looked at me with a smile, but that bright expression soon changed when he saw Baekhyun behind me. He had seen this too many times now, he already knew what happened.

“What did you do this time?”

I didn’t answer and just walked up the stairs. I closed the door to my room behind me, jumped onto my bed and some music. It wasn’t able to enjoy it for long though, not even 2 minutes later I heard someone stomping up the stairs. Suddenly my door was slammed open and Chanyeol grabbed me by my collar and yanked me of my bed.

“Byun Jongin! I hope that what you brother just told me is one big ing joke!”

“What if it’s not?” I just answered with a smile.

“You actually went to far this time! Baekhyun might still be nice to you but I won’t be. You threatened someone with a weapon, have you any idea how serious this is?”

I tried to get out of his grip but he was so tall and strong I couldn’t. Suddenly Baekhyun appeared behind him.

“Chanyeol let go of him.” he said with a soft voice.

“No Baek this time I won’t. He needs to know how ed up his actions were.”

“Chanyeol please let go...” Baekhyun started begging him now and I saw his eyes starting to water.

“This kid needs to ing calm down and stop acting like a thug. Every time you get into trouble your brother is the one who has to solve it for you, he has more important things on his mind than your bull. This needs to stop Jongin, you’re driving me insane!”

“Why do you even care?!” I screamed back at him “It's not like you're my family! You might try to act like you're my dad but you never will be cause I don't need a ing father!”

“What do you know about having a father? Maybe if you had one you wouldn't be so reckless and actually had some respect for other people.”

“Chanyeol…” Baekhyun was silently crying now.

Chanyeol finally let go of me when he noticed Baekhyun sobbing behind him.

“You never told him, did you?” I looked in shock at Baekhyun. I thought he had trusted Chanyeol with his whole life, but apparently not.

“Told me what Baek?” Chanyeol ran over to Baek and put his hands on my borther's shoulders.

“Let's go downstairs and talk.” Baekhyun said.

“Jongin stay here, I'm not done with you.” Chanyeol said but when he wanted to leave the room Baekhyun suddenly spoke. “No, he should come with us.”

Chanyeol nodded and I followed them downstairs. They both sat down at the dinner table and I sat on the kitchen counter. Chanyeol grabbed my brothers hands “What's wrong babe? Why were you crying?”

“I don't know where to start Chanyeol…”

“Well I do.” I felt the need to step in because my brother always had a hard time talking about this, even with my mother when she was still alive. “He's probably crying because you reminded him of all those times our dad would abuse me during his drunken nights.”

Chanyeol immediately turned to Baekhyun “I thought you told me he left before Jongin was born?”

“I'm sorry…” was all Baekhyun said and he started crying again. Chanyeol stood up from his chair and took Baekhyun in his arms.

“He had a very stressing job and every weekend he came home drunk and took his anger out on me.” I continued  “I don't know why he choose me, probably because I was only 8 and didn't know how to defend myself. He would grab me by my collar, shout at me, throw me on the ground and kick me until I almost passed out from the pain. Baekhyun was often forced to watch it”

Chanyeol seemed to have finally gotten what it must have been like for Baekhyun to see him grab me like that. “Baekhyun, I'm sorry… I didn't know.”

“It's my fault for not telling you.” Baekhyun said, still sobbing.

“Mom never knew, she always had evening and night shifts in the weekend. My dad just made up a story about me falling down the stairs or something, and she believed him because we always confirmed his story.  We were too scared about what would happen if we didn't listen to him.”

“Where is he now?” Chanyeol asked, looking worried.

“Getting in his car while being drunk was the last thing he did. He ended up on the wrong side of the highway and drove straight into another car, no one survived.”

I saw Chanyeol wanted to say something but I cut him off before he could even begin. “He was a jerk, he deserved it. Baekhyun was finally able to tell mom about the abuse and we could finally try and become a happy family. Well that was until a few years later….”

“Is this why you are so protective of Jongin?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun.

He slowly nodded “I wish I could have taken all those beatings for Jongin, but father always just put me in a corner and made me watch.”

“Babe I'm sorry I did that to Jongin. If I knew all this I would have never done it. But we need Jongin to wake the up and stop acting like this. He might end up like your dad if we don't stop him.” Chanyeol said, still holding my brothers hands.

I felt like my insides were on fire. I climbed off the counted and walked towards Chanyeol. I grabbed his arm so he would let go of Baekhyun and face me.

“Don't you ever dare you tell me I'm like dad again or you'll regret it!” I screamed at him.  

“You know I'm telling the truth Jongin! How long will it take for you to become violent with the guys and girls you mess around with? How long will it take for you to get drunk and think it's smart to drive in such a state? You're ed up Jongin and you don't even see it yourself!”

I had never been this mad at someone before. I swung my arm backwards and punched him in the face with so much power he fell down. I ran up the stairs and in the corner of my eyes  I saw Baekhyun holding Chanyeol back from running after me.

I slammed my door behind me and began throwing stuff around my room out of frustration. I started disliking Chanyeol since last year, when I saw him slap Baekhyun once during an argument but now he actually took it too far. He thinks I'm like my dad but he doesn't realise he isn't far from it either. This was it, I needed this guy out of my life as soon as possible. Luckily something earlier today happened which would make this a lot easier for me.

 


 

Just a quick side note: this is the Sehun I had in mind as a teacher (but with blonde hair) and ugh just only thinking about it messes me up