Ice Cream Cake

sonshil (sangshil)

Chaeyeong followed Jaehwan to a little table for two at the back of the ice cream parlor, the pair dropping off their school bags before heading to the counter.

 

That particular shop was popular and filled up quickly after school let out – Chae and Jaehwan had to grab a spot for themselves quickly or else they would be left to eat their ice cream outside. Seeing as the weather was beginning to shift from cold and wet to more hot and humid conditions, Chae was eager to claim an indoor table.

 

Jaehwan was bouncing in place as they waited in line, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over all the different options available.

 

According to the third year, he heard from Hakyeon that it was the best place to get ice cream. Of course, the oldest boy was likely biased, as he worked there part-time, and had been the only one apart from Taekwoon who had actually been in the parlor, the quieter boy being the one to pick up Hakyeon at the end of his shift. Apparently the soccer fanatic of their little gang was extremely fond of the shop’s coffee flavored treats and liked to go on and on about them to the rest of the boys. At least, according to Jaehwan.

 

Chae could not picture Taekwoon talking a mile a minute about ice cream even if he was drunk.

 

Chaeyeong chose to go with something relatively tame and familiar, ordering herself a small cup of strawberry ice cream, one with actual strawberries and chocolate syrup. In her opinion, it was the perfect mixture of sweet and tangy.

 

On her next visit, though, she planned to try the sherbert rainbow option, which looked both appetizing and eye-searing in its bright colors.

 

Jaehwan went with one of the menu’s wilder options that looked like something straight out of a parent’s nightmare.

 

It was so covered in sprinkles, syrup and gummies that Chae had no idea what the actual flavor of ice cream was.

 

In all honesty, it looked disgusting.

 

Chae wrinkled her nose at Jaehwan as they returned to their table, the older boy not even waiting to be seated before digging into his ice cream.

 

All he seemed to be able to do after the first bite was twitch, eyes going so wide that they seemed in danger of popping out of his skull.

 

Well?” Chae asked, quirking a brow in amusement at the sight.

 

Jaehwan grinned widely, almost maniacally, a few sprinkles still stuck to his lips. Chae half-expected his eye to start twitching as all the sugar in that one spoonful hit him hard.

 

It’s great!” he dipped out another spoonful and nearly shoved it up Chae’s nose as he tried to offer her some. “Try a bite?”

 

Chae pressed her lips together and shook her head, delicately pushing Jaehwan’s hand away. “No thank you. I prefer to keep my teeth from disintegrating all at once – no matter what Sanghyuk might try to have you believe.”

 

He did mention something about dentist bills and you being a sugar addict.” Jaehwan’s grin turned a bit softer. “He told me about your little ‘date’ – Hakyeon-hyung and Hongbinnie too. And about how you always made sure that he was enjoying himself.”

 

Chae hummed. “I’m glad he had a good time. I noticed that he doesn’t have any fun at school. He always seems so sad. When he called and asked me to hang out… I just wanted to make him happy. Even if it was just for a day. Compared to Wonshik, making Sanghyuk happy was a piece of cake.”

 

Ahhh, our Wonshikkie.” Jaehwan sighed heavily, reclining back in his seat and contemplating his ice cream. “Such a hard-headed kid…”

 

I don’t really know Wonshik as well as Hongbin – and, as it is, I’m not even sure I know him as well as I think I do – but… I think that Wonshik’s starting to adjust. Or trying to. He’s softened up some with me, at least.”

 

You did say that you had a talk with him.” Jaehwan nodded, remembering what she had said earlier that afternoon. “Well, you’re not wrong. He has been doing a little better. Though, I think his fight with Hongbin might end up being a bit of a set-back to all this.”

 

Chae opened to speak.

 

Closed it.

 

She repeated the motion again.

 

Deciding that she was beginning to resemble a fish, she took a deep breath and asked the question that had been bothering her for quite a long time.

 

Is the problem between Hongbin and Wonshik because of the move to Tan or is it because of me?”

 

Jaehwan looked up at her in alarm. “Pardon?”

 

Is Wonshik angry with Hongbin for getting close to me?” Chae asked, abandoning her ice cream and hiding her hands beneath the table to hide their trembling. “Wonshik is always so… upset when the three of us are together. He seems to dislike me no matter how I act towards him. Sometimes he won’t even speak to me. Sometimes he ignores my existence altogether. We agreed to try and be civil, but I wonder if it’s even a possibility. So, tell me, Lee Jaehwan – is all of this my fault?”

 

Jaehwan looked like he might cry. He took a deep breath to compose himself and sat up from his slouch, towering over her even when they were sitting.

 

Jeon Chaeyeong.” The third year said firmly, expression serious and eyes worried as they fixated on her own eyes, which were beginning to water and redden around the edges. “Hongbin and Wonshik’s relationship problems are not your fault? Understand? You have done nothing but show them kindness and friendship and nothing to deserve Wonshik’s anger.

 

I have known that boy his whole life so I know what I’m talking about when I say that he has issues. I know we don’t talk about where we came from – and honestly I don’t even like to think about it.” Jaehwan looked away from Chae and back into the depths of his ice cream cup. “But I will admit that it was a bad situation for us all. And Hakyeon-hyung is doing his best for us to make sure that none of us ever have to go back to… what happened there. But the situation we were in made us closer for it.

 

Wonshik… Wonshik gets angry to hide how scared he is. I wish that you could see how is really is. How he cries over sad movies and holds the people close to him like the most precious thing in the world. What a ridiculous sap he is when it comes to romance.” Jaehwan smiled a bit. “And it makes me sad that he’s too afraid of you to show you the kindness in his heart. You see, he’s never had to be afraid of losing any of us until now. We all feel awkward trying to adjust to our new home here, and I think Wonshik’s afraid of losing Hongbin in the face of all these new people that we’re meeting.

 

Still, the way he acts towards you isn’t right, so don’t be afraid to tell him off and put him in his place.” Jaehwan looked up. The hints of a grin were beginning to show on his face. “He looks like a tough guy but he’s really just a pushover. Even more than Taekwoon.”

 

Chae recalled the terrified expression that had been on Wonshik’s face when he was surrounded by the gang of boys. He looked ready to cry, even though he was trying to be strong.

 

Chae snorted in grim amusement. “I can believe that. In all honesty, I did sort of call him out on it a few weeks ago when we had our talk. His attachment to Hongbin is as clear as crystal. It’s not like he’s subtle. Either of them really. I think we know where we stand with each other. At least, for the moment. He apologized and he’s trying. But… I still can’t help but worry that I’m a factor in this issue between him and ‘Bin. One of those ‘new’ faces to worry about, as you put it.”

 

Jaehwan scrubbed a hand over his face and let out a frustrated groan.

 

Chaeyeongie,” he sighed. “Why are you so difficult? You’re just as bad as the rest of the maknaes! Ah, kids… Let me put this as simply as I can. You’re an angel. A total sweethearts who probably eats rainbows for breakfast and has to stop every few minutes to pet a unicorn or something. You’re perfect. Wonshik is a jealous of a puppy who growls too much because his boyfriend is an ignorant fool trying to put out fires with gasoline. Clear enough?”

 

Nice analogy.” Chae snorted. “But yeah. I guess. Thank you, Jaehwan-oppa.”

 

Jaehwan beamed at her. “Not a problem, Chaeyeongie~ They may be my friends, but I can still call them out for being morons.” He hurried to more of his ice cream, now mostly melted, into his mouth. “See how good ice cream is for you? Nice and therapeutic.”

 

Chae rolled her eyes lightly. “I wouldn’t call that monstrous concoction ice cream, oppa. You’d do just as well to pour a cup of plain sugar down your throat.”

 

The third year whined and moped and pouted at the girl’s attack on his ice cream’s character, flailing around as he tried to force-feed her a spoonful in hopes of changing her mind.

 

Chaeyeong screeched in outrage as Jaehwan managed to fling a gummy worm at her, the sticky candy sticking to her face with a squelch! and leaving a trail of melted ice cream in its wake as it slid off of her face. The gummy worm landed on the table with a soft plop! and Chae gaped at Jaehwan in horror.

 

The boy was frozen in place, arm and spoon still extended, and he was staring at her with wide eyes filled with fear.

 

Chaeyeong-ah…”

 

The girl held up a hand to stop him, a frighteningly blank expression on her face, and snatched a napkin out of the bin to wipe her face.

 

Jaehwan-oppa.” she said slowly, staring into the remains of her strawberry ice cream. “You have a very nice nose.”

 

Jaehwan gaped at her. “Wha–”

 

Makes a perfect target!” Chae finished suddenly, shoving her cup in the older boy’s face. Giggling hysterically at his stunned expression, Chae grabbed her bag and ran out of the parlor before he had the chance to come to his senses and seek revenge.

 

Behind her, Chae heard Jaehwan’s disbelieving laughter and looked over his shoulder to find him coming after her, ice cream dripping off his nose and chin, and she shrieked with laughter and ran for the river-walk.

 

Jaehwan caught up with her as she was scrabbling down the steps to the water, the third year screeching happily behind her.

 

Going on the river-walk right beside the water probably was not the best of ideas, as the water level was currently low and left the bottommost steps beside it wet and slippery, but Chae was not too familiar with that section of the city and knew little about what the locals considered common sense.

 

Her foot slipped on the bottom step and Chae fell, landing heavily on her in the water on another, hidden step.

 

Chaeyeong!” Jaehwan yelped in alarm, having seen the younger girl go down hard. He tried to hurry down to her aid without slipping himself. “Are you alright?”

 

Chae could not help but laugh through her pain, the fall knocking her silly. She allowed Jaehwan to pull her out of the water without any resistance, giggling breathlessly as she sprawled across the steps. Her bag sat above them a ways, dropped from her hand as she fell and landing safely on the concrete instead of in the water with its owner. A of luck, if she was being honest.

 

Jaehwan looked over her in exasperation, sitting down beside her on the wet step, uncaring that his own pants would get soaked through as well.

 

I’m fine.” Chae gasped after she managed to catch her breath. She grinned up at Jaehwan.

 

Seems to me that you got knocked silly. You ought to be more careful!” the third year scolded, pinching her cheeks lightly. “What if you really got hurt? Oppa won’t always be here to pull you out of the river, little fish.”

 

Chae squawked in indignation and batted his hands away from her face. “If Oppa hadn’t been trying to shove sugary death down my throat then we’d still be at the ice cream place!” She ran a finger across his sticky nose, grin returning. “Speaking of which, you’ve got ice cream all over your face.”

 

Yeah, that’s the problem with this brand.” * Jaehwan snorted, wiping his face off with his damp blazer sleeve. Between sitting on the wet stone and fishing Chae out of the river, Jaehwan was almost as soaked as the girl beside him. “An ice cream facial and a dip in the river to wash it off with. Jeon Chaeyeong, you really know how to treat a guy, don’t you?”

 

Chae winked in mock flirtation. “It’s a talent.” She stood and struck a pose, looking rather like a half-drowned kitten, but winced suddenly. She frowned at her legs, twisting so she could look at the back of her calves, which were stinging uncomfortably. “Ah, I hurt myself…”

 

Jaehwan hissed at the sight of the angry scrapes on the backs of her legs.

 

Yes, you did.” he huffed, holding her ankle gently as he looked over her calves to inspect the damage. “It doesn’t look life threatening, at least. But we’d better clean it up quickly – I wouldn’t want you to get an infection from something in the river water.”

 

Chae sighed, pulling her bag over her shoulder. “I’ve got a first aid kit at home. I’ll take care of it.”

 

Jaehwan made a buzzer noise. “Ehhh! Wrong! I said quickly, Chaeyeong-ah. And sitting on a bus that doesn’t get sanitized often enough won’t do you any good. We’ll go get a first aid kit on the way to your bus. Can you make it up the stairs on your own? It doesn’t hurt too much, right? Want me to carry you?”

 

Chae waved him off. “I’m fine, Oppa. It’s just a couple of scrapes.”

 

Still, Jaehwan hovered over her like a mother hen, one arm wrapped around her small frame, not quite touching her but ready to catch her at the slightest slip. Every time she flinched or his eyes fell to her legs and the torn flesh there, the older boy moved a bit closer.

 

If he was Hongbin, he would not be afraid to pull her close and bully her into accepting his help.

 

If he were Sanghyuk, he would just sweep her off her feet like some cliche hero in a drama.

 

He was not either of them, nor did he feel close enough to her to do those things, but he could be just as sneaky as their maknaes, if not more so.

 

It was not just his pretty face that helped get them out of that basement – Jaehwan could charm a leopard out of its spots and convince it it was a turkey if the occasion called for it.

 

He sat Chae down on a bench outside of a little grocery store and dumped him bag on her lap so that she could not run (hobble) away while he was inside.

 

Ma’am,” he said as sweetly as he could once he was inside, his charming smile and syrupy voice distracting from his disheveled appearance. “Do you have a first aid kit that I could borrow? My friend hurt herself a moment ago and she’s waiting outside…”

 

As expected, the owner of the store was completely taken with him, the little old lady pressing both the first aid kit and taffy candies into his hands as she cooed over how adorable he was. The boy thanked her profusely and promised to return the kit quickly, hurrying back to Chae once the woman’s attention shifted to a customer.

 

Chae frowned at the sight of the kit. “Did you buy that? I’ll pay you back for it if you did…”

 

Jaehwan pinched her cheeks again, messing with her face like Hakyeon had done earlier. Chae scowled and slapped at his hands, annoyed at all the abuse her face had taken that day.

 

Such a grumpy muffin.” Jaehwan cooed. “I just borrowed it. No worries.”

 

Muffin?

 

Chae puffed her cheeks out and pouted. Jaehwan just cooed at her some more as he knelt on the ground in front of her, being gentle as he pulled her leg into his lap.

 

Chaeyeong looked mildly uncomfortable with their positions, as she was wearing a skirt. Jaehwan was very careful to keep his eyes on her calves where he was cleaning, though he could not help but notice how nice and soft her skin was beneath his fingers.

 

He could appreciate Hyuk’s attraction to the girl. She was very sweet and funny in addition to her cute face. She always seemed so very small next to the boys, which seemed to trigger a protective instinct in them. He was certainly feeling it – and he had seen the others become just as affected, though some were more obvious about their actions than others. He wanted to say that the need to watch over her was a brotherly one, like that of close friends, but he could not lie. The maknae found her to be pretty in more than just an objective way, like Hongbin and the oldest two hyungs did. Ravi recognized her appeal too, otherwise he would not be so threatened by her presence.

 

Jaehwan pointedly ignored thinking about what he thought about her attractiveness and smiled up at her as he taped off the last bandage, patting her knee kindly as he stood up.

 

Chae beamed back at him. “Thank you, Jaehwannie-oppa~”

 

The older boy grinned at the cute way she spoke. “Not a problem. I’ll be right back – don’t go anywhere!”

 

He made an ‘I’m watching you’ motion as he hurried back into the store to return the first aid kit.

 

Chae watched him go with amusement, laughing lightly at the boy's exaggerated behavior.

 

She decided that she really liked Jaehwan, despite the wariness she had felt towards him during their first meeting. He had completely bowled her over and overwhelmed her senses. Though, she was beginning to get a better handle on how to react to him and play along with him when he invited her to. Out of the boys in the third year trio, Jaehwan was the one she was closest to, but somehow she felt like she was still distanced from him.

 

He was kind and attentive, being very much the gentleman when it came to helping her out after her dumb move at the river-walk. It was different from the easy relationship that she had with Hongbin, the way that he had clicked with her so perfectly from the get-go, but a different kind of fit. Hanging out with Jaehwan was fun and insightful as to the other boys. He had them all figured out from years of exposure and seemed eager to Chae understand them as well, but was more reserved about revealing too much about himself in the process. He talked a lot and loudly, giving the impression that he did not hold back in his conversations, but if she paid enough attention to what he was saying, Chae realized that she knew very little about Jaehwan.

 

Sanghyuk, Hongbin and even Wonshik were easy reads. Sanghyuk and Hongbin had even talked openly about themselves to her, like they were not used to holding back when it came to talking about their feelings, and Wonshik was extremely expressive and obvious about the things that bothered him. All the boys also loved to talk about Hakyeon and Taekwoon too, about the eldest's sacrifices and efforts for them, about how he was the one whose efforts got them where they were, and how caring both of the eldest boys were.

 

Chae knew more second hand information about Taekwoon than she did about Jaehwan from the boy himself.

 

It was a little odd, but she felt like she was learning enough about his character to keep her from worrying.

 

He was kind to her, supportive of her and her friendships with his own friends and trying to help her weather their troubles, and paid attention to her worries and pain.

 

It made her feel both warmth from the actions and an ache for something she was missing.

 

She had long accepted that her family was never going to return to what it had been when she was younger, full of happiness and love and people that cared about her, but Chae was still hopeful that she could find someone she could share those things with again, whether in the form of a lover or a friend.

 

A boyfriend might be a nice change of pace for her, as both an addition of another person who cared for her and a guarantee that she would not come between Hongbin and Wonshik's relationship if she had one of her own to consider.

 

Chae kind of wanted to have a boyfriend like Jaehwan.

 

She started at the thought, wondering where it had come from, and blushed, hands cupping her face.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

Chae jumped, not noticing that Jaehwan had returned until he spoke, and she stared at him with wide eyes for a moment.

 

"Y-yes," she coughed awkwardly after a moment too long. "Um, here's your bag. I'm gonna head to the bus stop now. I'll see you tomorrow maybe?"

 

"I'll walk you there," Jaehwan offered, holding out a hand to help her to her feet. Chae took it tentatively, her hand nearly disappearing as his fingers wrapped around her own. "Better yet... I'll give you a piggyback ride!"

 

"What?" Chae yelped, scurrying away from him.

 

Jaehwan crouched down so that she could reach him easily. "Come on!"

 

"No!"

 

"I won't touch your calves, I promise."

 

"That's not it..."

 

"Chaeyeong-ah, this position isn't exactly comfortable, but I'm going to stay here until you get on. So just get it over with~"

 

"Oppa, you're such a pain." Chae huffed, not moving closer. Jaehwan did not move either. ".... this is a one time only thing. And I'm only doing it because you look weird sitting like that in public."

 

"If you say so," Jaehwan said cheerfully, careful not to brush up against Chae's bandaged legs as she wrapped her arms around his neck and lifted her legs to wrap her thighs around his waist. He slid his hands under her knees to support her, tucking her skirt under his hands so that it would not dangle freely, and stood with ease. Despite his deceptively slender appearance, Jaehwan had no trouble carrying her, though his attention did waver a bit as her long hair swung forward against his cheek, the scent of cinnamon and apples swirling around him and making his mind go hazy for a moment.

 

Yes, Hyuk's attraction to her was easy to understand.

 

Being pressed up against Jaehwan so closely was just as disorienting for Chaeyeong, the girl having never been so close to a boy before, apart from a few hugs from Hongbin recently, and the fact that she realized a mild attraction to the older boy had her heart kicking up a pace faster than normal. She was obsessively aware of everything, the warmth Jaehwan radiated, the firmness of his back and shoulders against her stomach and chest, and the way that his hands, so much bigger than her own, could nearly wrap around her thighs.

 

Chae also could not help the more inappropriate that flitted through her mind, no matter how she tried to ward them off. Like how her s where pressed against him so fully, and she wondered if he felt every movement of her body against his like she did. If it affected him just as much as it seemed to be getting to her. Or how the warmth from his hands was spreading up her thighs, the feeling of them making her skin tingle strangely. Chae could hardly hold up against an innocent hug from Hongbin – having Jaehwan's hands on a part of her body that wasn't used to contact from others was driving her mad.

 

She buried her face against his neck, face flushing and hormones going wild

 

Oh, to be a teenager.

 

When they reached the bus stop, Chae nearly collapsed in relief.

 

"Thanks, Oppa." she coughed, holding her hand out for her bag, which was slung over Jaehwan's shoulder.

 

"You're welcome." he hummed, and held onto the bag instead of giving it back. Before Chae could stop him, he was bouncing up the steps and onto the bus, dropping a handful of coins into the till before falling into one of the seats at the front.

 

Chae chased after him, bewildered, and stopped only to swipe her card through the reader, standing beside his seat and staring at him. "What are you doing?"

 

"I said I'd walk you there."

 

"To the bus stop!"

 

"I never specified that. Chaeyeong-ah, have a seat. You're blocking the aisle."

 

Chae sat down obediently, still gaping at Jaehwan. "Seriously a pain."

 

Jaehwan gave her a noogie for that comment, immune to the girl's squeals and thrashing.

 

Chae huffed and turned away as she fixed her hair, internally freaking out at the thought of having to suffer through another piggyback ride.

 

Jaehwan, of course, was no more swayed by her refusal than he was the first time, and Chae once again found herself clinging to his back as he carried her through the shopping center by her neighborhood. What she did not know, was that the boy was becoming just as flustered as she was, not as lost in his thoughts as she was, and kept overhearing comments from the crowds around him about what a cute couple they made. How cute his 'girlfriend' was. What a sweet boyfriend he was.

 

If he was really a sweet boyfriend, then he would be at home with his lovers, trying to comfort them after their fight rather than carrying a girl they barely knew around and trying not to think about her soft thighs and the press over her body against his, the way her form rubbed against him with every breath. The way the smell of strawberry ice cream on her breath was mixing with her apple scented shampoo and drowning out everything else until he was left with nothing but the scent of Chaeyeong surrounding him.

 

Chaeyeong yawned, leaning on him just a bit more, and Jaehwan swallowed thickly and tried to distract himself from the feel of her body.

 

"What's your address?" he asked suddenly, startling the girl from the doze she was drifting into.

 

Chae rattled off the number and street and propped her chin up on his shoulder, murmuring quiet orders about where to turn and which way was easier to navigate.

 

Her neighborhood was a nice one, cameras on the light posts and the houses enclosed with tall gates, and Jaehwan could not help but be impressed by the size of her own home, so much bigger than their little motel room. Still, it seemed a bit sad even in its grandeur, for none of the lights were on, making it seem cold and lonely.

 

Jaehwan frowned at it, imagining tiny Chaeyeong in that big house, all alone and quiet, and found himself wanting to ask about her family situation. It might have been too invasive of a question, though, so he held his tongue as he lowered her to the ground, and resolved to ask Hongbin what he knew when he got back home.

 

"Here," Chae hummed, pressed a bit of money into his hand. "For the bus. Thank you for taking me home, Jaehwan-oppa. Do... you want to come in for a minute?"

 

Chae felt like slapping herself.

 

Yes, invite the boy in while you're having naughty thoughts about him because you'll be all alone and embarrass yourself because you're having trouble even looking at him.

 

Jaehwan shook his head, smiling slightly. "I think I'd better head on back home, actually. Hongbin and Wonshik might have cooled down by now and be willing to talk."

 

Chae nodded. "Of course..."

 

They stood there in front of the gate for a moment, eying each other awkwardly, both aware of why they felt that way and not sure what to do about it.

 

Jaehwan coughed, catching himself admiring how nicely the setting sun was accenting Chae's tan, and gestured towards her house. "I'll wait for you to go in, Chae-ah. And I'll see you tomorrow, hopefully with better news on the WonBin situation."

 

Chae snorted at the couple name he gave them and patted him on the shoulder as she bid him goodnight, heading in with a parting wave over her shoulder before she disappeared inside her house.

 

Jaehwan let out a long breath, puffing his cheeks out and squirming a moment, before heading back to the bus stop.

 


* Spongebob quote. Patrick actually. I felt it appropriate since Jaehwan has so much Spongebob merch.