The Invitation

The Arranged Marriage

 

“It turns out the woman’s hair was blonde after all!” A tall woman exclaims causing the two other girls beside her to laugh. Her name was Namjoo and she had just come back from her long visit in Europe. Traveling around the world with her husband there were only a few times when she was able to visit her friends.

“That is absolutely absurd.” Her younger sister Hayoung giggled as she sipped on some of her tea. Unlike her older sister, Hayoung didn’t travel as much since she was going to soon be married to her fiancé who was a lawyer.

“Absurd or not it’s one story I look forward to hearing over and over again,” Naeun said as she folded her brown gloved hands over her lap. “I’m glad you two were able to come today, I know by the next time I see you both it will be at a wedding.”

Hayoung blushed, “It’s exciting. I’m positive your husband will appear soon, maybe you’ll meet him at the wedding.” This caused all the girls to laugh. “To meet my own husband at your wedding wouldn’t be romantic at all. Besides, I am in no rush to get married.”

Namjoo shook her head and laughed. “Don’t tell me you’ve given up on the idea of love?”

Hayoung snorts, “Indeed she has.” The sisters both chuckle at the ridiculous idea.

“I have not, I just won’t force myself to believe in it. It’ll happen to me when the timing is right, alright?”

“I’m sure of it.” Hayoung agrees as she sips some more of her tea. Namjoo takes a sip of her's as well settling down from the laughter.

Clearing , Hayoung scoots closer to the girls on the couch, "So, have you heard about the woman the heir is marrying? Lee Taemin with a woman of no status, that's going to make some headlines."

Namjoo snorts, "It already has!"

While listening in on the small talk Naeun began to feel indifferent. She along with the rest of the world were hearing more and more rumors regarding the woman and the wedding that was taking place. Newspapers, websites, and other mass media outlets were writing articles by the day, there was always something new to learn and this didn't sit well with Naeun.

"She's quite lovely, I must say."

"She's so lucky to be marrying the heir!"

"I heard they're long lost lovers and this wedding is a way to publicize that."

"Maybe they're getting married cause he knocked her up."

Naeun fueled with anger and confusion at these statements she heard people say. She needed to meet this woman, she needed to meet the woman who would claim the heir as her own. Sitting between the two girls who went back and forth gossiping about the wedding Naeun had already begun devising a plan to meet the anticipated wife.


"It was beautiful, Victoria!" Jinri exclaimed as she stepped out the dressing room wearing the newly bought clothes the fashion expert came hand in hand with. Victoria snapped her fingers for the girl to turn around and Jinri spun happily. "It fit perfectly, it looked perfect, oh and expensive."

"Most of what goes on you is going to be expensive, what did you expect?" She says eyeing out the sleeves of the shirt and the material of the skirt.

Jinri shakes her head, "I don't know, just not that. Ugh, it really was beautiful." Jinri picked up her left hand and looked at the bland finger trying to imagine the diamond ring that one sat on it. The ring would have stayed with them but Mrs. Lee strictly advised to make some minor adjustments before it was officially revealed on her finger.

"How did Taemin react when he saw it? Did he get a bit too happy and pee on himself? That would be a sight worth seeing?" Victoria asked smiling at the thought of the embarrassment he would face. Jinri turned silent trying to remember if he did react at all and when she couldn't come up with anything she just stood still like the doll she was supposed to be for Victoria at the moment.

Victoria noticed her quiet nature and shook her head, "I'm sorry, it was wrong of me to make such a comment about him. Forgive me, my sense of humor is not for everyone." Jinri shook her head abruptly, "No, it's not you. I mean, who else would make such jokes about him if not you?" Victoria grinned, "That's true. But do tell what's the matter."

"I don't even remember him doing anything. Is there supposed to be a special moment when you get your rings?" Jinri asked genuinely confused. Victoria rolled up the measuring tape she had in one hand and nodded, "I'm no married woman so don't take my words ever so seriously. There should be a small gaze, maybe even a light smile, at least some reassurance that this wedding is a good idea. You didn't get any of that?"

"I do remember feeling a little bit excited," She mumbled. Her lips tilted into a smile when she met Victoria's gaze.

"Well, that's a good sign."

"Yeah," Jinri agreed. "I think it is."


It was dark out by the time Jinri finished trying on all the clothes Victoria picked out for her. She peeled off the material and washed up, Victoria left behind what now belonged to her and left with the clothes that were of no good. Stepping out of the warm shower and changing into her night gown Jinri sat on the edge of her bed while brushing out her long wet hair. Pulling the brush down and untangling the strands was usually a struggle but tonight she didn't face such difficulty.

That was due to her being so lost in thought that nothing, not even the slight pain that came from the knots in her hair were going to bother her. She was always so lost in thought now in days. It's not entirely bad, she was thinking about the important wedding approaching in a matter of weeks. And then of course, she was thinking about him. Lee Taemin.

Thinking back to the jewelry shop that they had been to and the dazzling ring on her finger, she thought of him and the moment he had slipped the ring onto her. She was paying attention to him as much as she wouldn't like to admit it. She was paying attention the whole time, the way his eyes sparkled at the sight of the watches at the windows display and how he rolled his eyes at the highly expensive bracelet near the front desk.

He was a business man himself so the cost of that bracelet probably wasn't worth bargaining over. She knew how he loved the simplicity of things as it meant their beauty was rare and valuable.

Yes, Jinri was beginning to catch onto things about him. She was slowly learning and catching onto his ways. 

And when she saw him get a bit stiff when his uncle pushed him to put the engagement ring on her finger and how he carefully and gently held her hand to place the ring it confused her. Jinri wasn't sure how to read that moment. He wasn't always kind and it was probably the first moment in awhile that he genuinely appeared to care. He was so confusing to understand. Too confusing to understand that Jinri hadn't even realized her door was being knocked upon as she was trying to figure him out.

Jinri put down the brush and cleared as she sat up straightly on the bed, "Come in."

The door is pushed open and the heir enters and scans the room slowly. It was the first time he ever came inside the room which surprised Jinri as she didn't expect to see him. He pushed his hand in his pocket and closed the door behind him as he looked to her.

"Well, you're all ready for bed," He acknowledges taking in her appearance. She was fresh faced and her light skin matched the peach pajamas that looked rather cute on her. He shook away these thoughts once the sound of her voice resurfaced.

She nodded, "Yeah, I'm pretty tired."

"This won't take very long then, you should read this." He said putting out his hand that held a white envelope. Jinri looked at the envelope and then at Taemin who waited patiently for her to take what was in his grasp. She slowly took it and carefully opened the already thoroughly ripped white envelope. In the meantime Taemin had strolled over to her dresser across the room where pictures of Jinri and her parents at home or on vacation had rested.

Taking out a black and gold card with the scripted letters "To our heir and his wife" Jinri had opened it and was shocked at the following words that came afterwards.

I, Son Naeun

​request the pleasure of your company for a fine evening at my estate.

The gathering is held January, 24th at 6 o'clock.

I hope to see you.

Jinri couldn't believe what she had read and this was clear as she put down the invitation and turned to Taemin with worried eyes. He was too busy analyzing her photographs to capture her stare. A party, Jinri had actually been invited to a party, and it was tomorrow.

"Are we going?" She asked aloud which caught Taemin's attention.

"Son Naeun is a dear friend of mine, it would be rude not to." He affirms turning around to look at her.

Jinri tilted her head, "What is she like? Your friend, Naeun."

The heir puffed his cheeks trying to come up with a couple of good words and he lazily dropped himself on her bedside. "Naeun, she's clever, thoughtful, and at times a nuisance but a much needed one."

Jinri chuckled at that last part and he smiled at her. "She's not someone you should be nervous of, she's friendly," He assures her.

Jinri looked at him, a bit more carefully this time, something was different. He was concerned about her feelings, he was trying to make her less scared, just when did he start to care?

"You don't have to do that," She found herself saying as she looked at the floor and lowered her head.

Taemin blinked twice, "Do what?"

She scracthed her head, "This whole nice thing, I know you're not my biggest fan here and that's okay but I don't want you saying things you'll regret later."

He scoffed and threw himself back on the bed, "Just what is it with you, Jinri. I'm too nice, I'm too mean. You're so confusing!"

Jinri laid back on the bed carefully and rolled her eyes, "You have no idea how many times I've thought the same thing about you."

They both laid on the bed starring up at the white ceiling. It got silent for the moment but it fit the circumstances. Jinri turned to her side and examined his side view. His skin was clear and his tussled brown hair matched his orbs that stared up. He resonated those male models she had seen in the magazine ads except he was going for more of a business stud than a y rebel.

"I don't hate you," He said out loud disturbing the silence.

He turned over to his side too and stared back at Jinri which made her freeze and heart jump. He too began examining her, her soft features that were elegantly simple. He noticed how her plump her lips was, how captivating her eyes were, and even the small mole on the tip of her nose that made her stand out from the rest. She was a sight for sore eyes and it wasn't until this moment that he had realized that.

"I'm not the monster you think I am, Jinri." He said this time more slowly.

Jinri relaxed her eyes and breathed out, "I never thought you were a monster."

Taemin felt a weight lift of his chest at the sound of her words. Watching her close her eyes and lay there in peace made him feel all sorts of things but hatred was not one of them.

"Good night, Jinri."

"Good night, Taemin."

 

A/N: YAY A NICE TAELLI MOMENT!!! Lol next chapter is the 10th which I'm actually excited for. I hope you guys liked this if you have any suggestions let me know in the comments and please do subscribe and upvote if you'd like. I'll update soon!