Chapter 5

Just A Friend.

Min was putting on her make-up. It was weekend. She’s definitely going to a party that night getting ready to get wasted. Hana’s been contemplating whether she should do this or not. She’ll know Mark will be there. Jia would probably be there too. She didn’t want her to take Mark away. She can’t afford to lose him.

She’ll confess everything to him at the party. She didn’t want to lose any chances now. She’ll confess on how hard she’s falling in love with him. How he keeps making her heart flutter each day. How stupid she is for not realizing he’s the one she wants to be with.

“You’re going to JB’s party?” Hana asked Min. She nodded while looking at her weirdly. “Can you bring me there too?”

“Sure.” Min grinned. “Get ready, now.”

Hana changed to her plain white t-shirt and skinny blue jeans. She grabbed her black cardigan and put over her t-shirt. She looks at Min who still working on drawing the other part of her eyebrows. She looks at herself and felt so shabby. So, she decided to put on her cherry lipstick and mascara on her eyelashes.

“Ready?” She nodded at Min. Min grabbed her hand and walked out of their hall.

It was almost 11 PM when they arrived at JB’s apartment. JB house is 20 minutes away from campus. The party was exactly as Hana would imagine it. Packed with frat boys. 

There was music playing in the background. A loud music. She couldn’t believe she’s actually doing this. Party. Beer. Loud music. People.

“Relax. I’m not going to leave you. Even if I want to.” Min glanced over at her.  “Why exactly do you want to be here?”

“I’m looking for Mark.” She said half shouting. The music was killing her eardrums.

Hana stood as close as she can to Min. There were a lot of people at the party. They’re probably on their senior year. Mostly, they’re dancing to the music. Everybody there seemed to know Min. Well, Min is a regular. Somebody handed them each a beer. Hana didn’t drink it.

“Where’s Mark?” Min asked some guy at the corner munching prawn crackers.

He looked around the living room. “Kitchen, maybe?”

Min nodded. She looked at Hana. “Come on, let’s go find him.”

People started to dance wildly on the floor when the music changed to EDM. She really feels uncomfortable with this. Hana stuck close behind Min. She heard her whisper, “.”

She stepped into the kitchen. Mark was leaning back against the counter. His eyes were closed. He had a bottle of beer in on hand. The same hand he was pressing into a girl’s back. Jia’s back.

Jia’s fingers slid through Mark hair and she was kissing him with smiling and open. Hana looked down immediately and walked out of the kitchen. Min followed her until they were outside of the house. Min didn’t ask anything. She drove her back that night.

She was so mad at him. If he wants to other girls why does he have to kiss her that night? Above all, she was so mad at herself. What the hell she was thinking, that Mark would see her more than just a friend? How stupid it is?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am freaking hungry right now. Pizza?

From: Mark

She looked at the message for the hundredth time. Why does everything have to be complicated? She can pretend that she didn’t saw them kissing. Hell, she can pretend that she was never there at the party. Should she pretend that he never kissed her too?

Hana saw Jia waiting outside her faculty waving her hand at her. Jia smiling brightly at her, somehow look so cunningly to her. She remembered how her hand was at the back of Mark’s neck pulling him for a kiss that night at the party. Her stomach felt sick.

"I really like him a lot, Hana. So if you'd mind to not hang out with him so much. I know I'm asking you a lot and he is your best friend. But, people keep misunderstanding you guys a lot. You'll understand, right?" Jia didn't give her a choice to speak. She pleaded her with a hopeful face. Hana nodded reluctantly.

She doesn’t know what to do. Mark kissed her. He probably likes her too. Maybe, she should stay away from him.

I can’t. Busy.

From: Hana