iii. lights, camera, action!

on stage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Professor Taeyeon's students gathered up and they stood up on stage to bow down as an introduction. The audience are already sitting at their desired seats, waiting for the actual play to start.

 

After doing the introduction, they all went back to the backstage and started fixing Doyoung, Seulgi, and Johnny's make up as fast as they can because they are the ones to appear first on the scene. The play is starting in a few minutes.

 

"Come on! Faster! Double time!" Taeyeon reminded her students and clapped her hands. "Doyoung, Johnny, and Seulgi-ah get ready! I'll also inform Taeil-ah that we'll be starting in a few minutes."

 

Doyoung could only cringe and heave a sigh as he horribly looked at himself on the mirror. His freaking make up and outfit looks so stupid! The wig is also irritating him! Not just that, he also looks like a gay in it! Can he just remove it right now? It's already suffocating his face and he's dying out of embarrassment. For pete's sake, his family is here to watch their play!

 

Taeyeon smiled and did a fighting gesture. "I know we can all do this! Fighting especially to our lead roles, Doyoung and Jaehyun-ah!"

 

Now that the annoying boy's name was mentioned, Doyoung tried not to spare him a glance but instead focuses on his professor's words. He flashed a grin and prayed to the heavens that he won't actually mess up on stage. The incentives, plus points, and exemption are all in his hands and he will do his best to deliver out everything as smooth as he can.

 

"Fighting!" They all shouted in unison. 

 

 

The surroundings of the auditorium had darkened and all the lights died out. After a couple of seconds, the curtains started to rise and it showed a castle background. Everyone inside grew silent as the melodious background music started to play.

 

"Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, lived a beautiful princess named Jisoo." Taeil began and a baby doll started to show up as a props on stage with the help of Taeyeon's other students. "She was very pretty, with tumbling dark curls and doe-shaped eyes. Her mother, the queen, adored Princess Jisoo so much and showed her daughter how to sing, how to cook and to be kind and respectful to everyone no matter what their status are."

 

A little girl who looks like Doyoung, from the elementary department of their school, appeared on stage together with, Irene who plays the role of Jisoo's mother and they're smiling from ear to ear.

 

"My dear daughter Jisoo," Irene or rather known as Queen Joohyun ruffled the little girl's hair and pinched her cheeks. "Always be kind and respectful to people no matter who they are okay?" After that, she kissed the young Jisoo's forehead and hugged her.

 

Then the lights dimmed out again as well as the stage and a sad background song started to play.

 

"But one day, a great sadness had fallen apart onto the kingdom. The queen had died. Because the king loved Princess Jisoo so much, he wanted only the best for her. So he hunted throughout the land to find a new wife. Soon, the king remarried another woman."

 

Doyoung comes to the scene now as the grown up Princess Jisoo. He together with Johnny or King Youngho and Seulgi or Chaeyeon appeared on stage to act the scene where they're going to meet each other.

 

Johnny or King Youngho signalled Doyoung or rather Princess Jisoo to come over and flashed a wide smile. 

 

"Now you've got a new mother. Jisoo, I would like you to meet Chaeyeon. The king said happily and pointed Jisoo to Chaeyeon. "Chaeyeon, this is my precious daughter, Jisoo."

 

Doyoung eyed Seulgi from head to toe just like what's on the script and flashed a faint grin before bowing down.  "It's an honor to meet you, Chaeyeon eomma. Welcome to our family."

 

"Likewise, Jisoo-ah. Thank you." Seulgi or rather Chaeyeon smiled and ruffled the smaller's hair.

 

"Little did they know that her smile is all fake. As Chaeyeon gazed at her stepdaughter's youth and beauty, her heart burned with jealousy."

 

As Doyoung turned around to talk to his acting father, Seulgi gazed at her with jealous eyes. Just like what's written on the script.

 

Then the lights dimmed out again and the stage was enveloped with silence before Taeil started speaking again.

 

"Many days passed by, everything at the kingdom is going smooth and when Princess Jisoo thought that she's finally living the life of a happy family that's what she only thought. One early morning, Chaeyeon suddenly woke Princess Jisoo. She grabbed the lady roughly by the arm and pulled her out of bed."

 

The lights lit out again and a bed where Doyoung is peacefully sleeping appeared. Seulgi comes into the scene and grabbed Doyoung's arms roughly as she pulled him out of the bed.

 

"You're coming with me." Seulgi or Chaeyeon hissed. "You will leave this kingdom and never return."

 

Just like what's written on the script, Doyoung tried to fight back and stop Seulgi from dragging him. "W-What do you mean eomma? I don't understand you!"

 

"Princess Jisoo was so shocked by the sudden act of her stepmother. Not being able to fight back, the princess was brought to the stepmother's large country house. It was far away from anywhere and the only people living there were servants, who weren't even friendly. Chaeyeon took the princess into the kitchens and dragged her up to the cook."

 

"Jisoo, you'll work as a kitchen maid here." Seulgi said and pointed towards her. "The cook will tell you what to do. Can I also have a minute with you cook?" And with that, Seulgi stormed out of the scene, leaving Princess Jisoo behind.

 

The cook, who's acted by Joy, gestured Doyoung to the stove. "Make some dinner." She ordered.

 

"But I don't know how!" Doyoung protested. "All I can make is my mother's soup."

 

"Then make soup. I've been working my fingers to the bone for years. Now it's your turn." Cook said before storming out of the room to follow Seulgi.

 

"When the cook followed where Chaeyeon is, they started talking about Princess Jisoo."

 

"Listen to me cook," Seulgi began just like what's written on the script. "Keep your mouth shut about Jisoo's whereabouts okay? Make sure that you won't speak or tell anything about her or else you'll be punished to death." She lets go of cook's face before walking out of the scene.

 

The  lights dimmed again and after a couple of seconds, the background of the stage was set back to the castle and Johnny appeared on the spot.

 

"When the Chaeyeon returned to the kingdom, she took King Youngho aside."

 

Seulgi flashed an innocent smirk to act out the part where Chaeyeon is hiding something and pretending to be innocent in front of the king. "I'm afraid I have bad news. Your daughter has run away and she's nowhere to be found." She said.

 

A sad background song started to play and Johnny knelt down to act the feeling of being heartbroken. Soon enough, the lights dimmed out again.

 

"When King Youngho heard the bad news, he was very heartbroken. Why did Princess Jisoo ran away from home? How will he live without his precious daughter by his side? Once again, the palace was filled with sadness because of the missing princess."

 

After the sad background music, a large country house background appeared and Doyoung entered the scene where he's dressed with a ragged servant's clothes and he's holding a broom including a water hose for the plants.

 

"Many months passed by. Princess Jisoo's days were always the same. She'd wake up, early in her small, dirty attic room and put on her gray, ragged servant's clothes. Then she would make soup, clean the kitchen, and sweep the house from top to bottom. Only after she'd finished all her jobs was she allowed into the garden, where she'd care for the flowers and plants that grew there. Being outside in the garden made the princess happy as it is her only freedom. And when she was happy, she sang."

 

Doyoung acted out what Taeil had narrated and tried his best to express Jisoo's positive and calm demeanor. From Doyoung's point of view, Princess Jisoo's character was quite amazing because despite what her stepmother did, she can still smile like nothing cruel happened in her life.

 

Then Doyoung started singing a sweet melodious song just like what Taeil had narrated. He will be singing a song with the title Don't Forget.

 

If you and me become estranged someday
If we could never meet each other
Don’t forget Don’t lose
Even if you are holding other’s hand
If you are at somewhere I cannot go
Don’t forget Don’t lose.

 

"Princess Jisoo believes that she will find her prince charming that will save her from this cruel place and then she'll live a happily ever after with him. The princess strongly believes and hopes that the said day will eventually come. She'll never get tired of hoping for a happy ending."

 

When warm cheeks meet each other
When holding my frozen hands gently
Hugging my heart worn out by the cold world with your warmth
Your face in my eyes You sleeping in my arms
Hope everything stops like this
Don’t let go the hands holding together.

 

"The princess sang in the spring, as she tended to the bulbs unfurled on the trees. She sang in the summer, as the flowers bloomed and the sun warmed her skin. She sang in the autumn, as the leaves changed their shades and fell to the ground. She even sang in the winter, as she cleared a blanket of snow from the earth."

 

After Taeil's narration, the lights dimmed out again and it's Doyoung's cue to go away from the stage because the next scene will be the scene where the annoying boy, Jaehyun, enters. Hearing his name makes Doyoung's heart beat in an undeniably fast rate. Darn it!

 

The stage, still dark as it is, Taeil narrated. "One day, a prince named Taejoon was passing on his horse when he heard Princess Jisoo's sweet and heartwarming voice singing a beautiful song."

 

Doyoung began to sing the song he has been singing ever since their rehearsal time.

 

I remember when we were yelled at for talking in the halls
I don’t know why it was so fun even when we were being punished
After that day (yeah yeah) we always (yeah yeah)
Stuck together like the Astro twins, you were me and I was you. 

 

Then Jaehyun entered the scene where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter