i. the chosen ones

on stage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prompt #105: Opera

Doyoung shook his head and decided to ignore the noises his classmates are making. He fixed his earphones as he leaned through the window to get a glimpse of the school's surroundings outside. Today was totally a boring day for him. For pete's sake, he lacked of sleep last night! If only he could stay at home and just sleep all day, he could've done it already. The world or rather the universe knows how much of a lazy and grumpy he is when he lacks sleep.

 

After a couple of minutes, the noises of the students stopped and it became a total dead silence when the professor entered their classroom. As she made her way to the table at the center of the room, all of them stood up and greeted her.

 

"Good morning, Professor Kim!" Everyone greeted in unison before plopping their butts down the chair.

 

Professor Kim or also known as Ms. Taeyeon nodded and flashed them her usual charming smile. "Good morning class. Now to start your day, I have an announcement to make."

 

All the students, except Doyoung who doesn't give a damn, gasped and wondered what the announcement is all about. Is there something exciting that's going to happen? Perhaps a celebrity visiting their school? Or is it a new project to torture them? Hmm. What could it be?

 

"Okay. Hush now students!" Taeyeon raised her hands as a sign for them to keep quiet. "You know that every year, our school tends to do different kinds of plays right?"

 

Everyone nodded and all eyes are now more focused to her. They are all waiting for the next words that Taeyeon's gonna eventually blurt out.

 

"Well now is the time to do another play for the year 2016 because our section got chosen!" Taeyeon clapped her hands like a seal. "But this time, we're going to have a twist. Care to know what the twist is?" She flashed a wide grin and winked at them.

 

"Ohmygod! What is it Professor Kim?!"

 

"I can already feel that it's something interesting!"

 

"There's a twist! What could it be?"

 

Different reactions could be heard from every student. They already knew about the annual school play being held every year, but this is the first time they heard the word twist from her. What could be the twist that their professor is talking about? Curiosity is already invading their system.

 

"The twist is..." Professor Taeyeon eyed the students one by one. "The lead roles will be assigned to both males."

 

Their jaws just literally dropped in shock as they heard what their professor just said. Is she serious about it? It has got to be some ridiculous joke isn't it? Both males doing the lead role of a play? Is that even possible? Not that they're against it. It's just that, what about the opinions of other people? What if they feel disgusted over it? The people who watched their previous plays are used to female and male tandems.

 

Although hesitant, one of the students named Johnny, raised his hands. "Prof, not that I'm against it but... are you serious about the lead roles being done by both males?" He asked and scratched the back of his head.

 

"Yes. I'm serious about it, Johnny-ah. And it's not just me. Even my co-professors and other faculty staffs agreed to it. Don't you think it's hilarious and wonderful? Both males acting as the lead role? It will be a unique kind of play for this year!" Taeyeon stated and palmed both of her hands.

 

Looks like, they don't have any say on their professor's decision. If the other professors and faculty staffs already agreed to it, then it's already settled. Their play will be lead by both males. But the question is, who would be the chosen ones to act as the lead role?

 

They're all immersed into the play discussion while there's Doyoung who was still leaning on the window with his earphones on. He's pretending to listen so he couldn't comprehend any single thing about the discussion. Looks like, his lack of sleep last night is giving him a bad day huh? Can he just sleep on his arm chair? As in there right now? His eyes are getting heavy and swears that he's about to doze off any minute from now.

 

"Moving on to another discussion, who do you think suits to be the lead roles of our play? Suggest one for the damsel in distress and one for the knight in shining armor." Taeyeon questioned the whole class and eyed the students one by one. Waiting for their bombarded suggestions.

 

One of the students named, Ten, raised his hands. "I suggest Yuta as the damsel in distress!"

 

Taeyeon chuckled because of the boy's suggestion. "Ten-ah, you must've forgotten that Yuta-ah isn't in this section." She reminded and shook her head.

 

Suddenly Ten realized what he just said. Oh yeah. His dear friend Yuta isn't in this section yet he still suggested him. How could he forget about it? Where in hell did his mind go? Stupid him! Darn it! Well you can't blame him because Yuta is so pretty like a girl and definitely suits as the damsel in distress role. Anyone could be captivated with his healing smile. Duh.

 

"Any other suggestions?" Taeyeon creased her brows and looks around the room again.

 

Kun didn't hesitated to raise his hands and pointed the clueless Doyoung. "I suggest Doyoung to be the damsel in distress!"

 

Taeyeon nodded and turned to look at Doyoung, who is busy having a mental debate with himself if whether he should give and close his eyes or fight the urge to sleep and continue struggling. She stared at Doyoung's features carefully. Doe-shaped eyes, small yet cute face, eyebrows on point, fair complexion, pink and luscious lips, and bunny like face when he smiles. Then she realizes that Doyoung is indeed attractive and perfectly qualified to be the damsel in distress to their play.

 

She clapped her hands and nodded. "Great suggestion, Kun-ah! Well, what do you say, Doyoung-ah?" Now everyone's attention are into Doyoung.

 

It took a while for Doyoung's spirit and mind to come back to Earth. Before he knew it, his classmates are already staring at him like he's a criminal who did something not so good against the law of Korea. What the hell? Is there something wrong with him? Does he have a dirt on his face? Or he really looks like a criminal? But he isn't even wearing a weird prisoner suit!

 

When he realized that the whole class doesn't have any plans to stop their stares at him, Doyoung's drowsiness disappeared in an instant and he decided to remove his earphones with a matching flustered expression. Maybe it's because he wasn't listening? "W-What is it, Professor Kim?" He shyly asked and scratched the back of his head.

 

"You are chosen as the damsel in distress for our play. Don't get freaked out because for this year, we decided that both males will the be lead characters. What do you think, Doyoung-ah?"

 

Doyoung froze as heard what his professor just said. He as the damsel in distress for their play? This has got to be a ridiculous joke. No! Just no! There's no way in hell that he's going to be the damsel in distress on their play. Participating in a play isn't even his style.

 

Just when he was about to reject his professor's offer, the door of their classroom opened. And the person it revealed is none other than, Jung Jaehyun. The university's so called boy and the person Doyoung despises the most. Who wouldn't despise an annoying jerk and disgusting boy who also happens to ruin his life huh?

 

"Sorry I'm late, Professor Kim." Jaehyun bowed and his eyes searched for someone. And that someone is, Doyoung. When he saw the boy, a smirk crept on his face.

 

The smaller cringes as he saw Jaehyun's annoying smirk that he badly wants to rip out of his face. Seeing Jaehyun makes him want to puke and punch him all over again.

 

"Professor Kim, I suggest Jaehyun to be the knight in shining armor!" Kun shouted and stiffled a laugh.

 

Taeyeon eyed Jaehyun from head to toe and nodded. Kun really is a bright student! He just suggested the qualified persons! With Jaehyun's charismatic visuals and body built, his aura really gives the knight in shining armor feels. 

 

"Don't get startled because for this year, both males are going to act the lead roles for our play to be unique. So what do you think, Jaehyun-ah?" Taeyeon explained and waited for Jaehyun's decision.

 

Doyoung glared at the boy and reminded himself to teach his best friend a lesson later. How dare his very own best friend betray him like that?! The Chinese boy knows that plays aren't his style and how much he hated Jung Jaehyun to death! Kun is a certified traitor!

 

Ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter