Soft beginning

Summer Love

– Where are we going again dad?

– It’s a party with the people from my new work. They told me to bring along my family so they can meet you.

– What if it get boring?

– There will be people there to talk with. If your lucky it might even be kids in your age there.

– I am not a kid! 

– You will always be my daughter and there for my kid. 


I just sighed while I looked out the window. 

We had been here for a week and we was going to stay here one year. My dad got work here. My mom was dead since a few years ago. I have been taking classes after school before moving here so I could speak Korean and write in hangul.



– We are here now Debbie.

– Okay dad.

– Remember to speak formal.

– Don’t worry. I din’t take those classes for nothing, right?


We smiled to each other. I put my arm in my dads arm and we went to a big house. Probably a local they had borrow for this. I was dressed in my white dress that had small flower on it.

Inside we greeted my dads boss. He was old looking, just like my dad. We both greater him formal.

– Who is this young lady?

– This is my daughter Debbie.

– Hello Mr. Lee.

I bow to him.

– Nice to meet you young lady. You look to be in the same age as my son. He should soon be here. Honey, come here and look at our new employers daughter.



A woman with hair in a up-do came in. I must admit the both of the adults seemed short. Or yeah, short for what I’m used to see in my country. I bow to the lady.


– She look so young. How old is she?

I looked at my dad who looked at me before answering.

– She is born 1996.

– Oh, same age as Jihoon. This will be great for him I think.

My father walked away with his boss while I start walking around. There was a lot of people. Adults was speaking. I didn’t get un-noticed exactly because I wasn’t asian-looking.I ignored that and walked around. I suddenly saw a grand piano in a room. I decided to walk back to Ms. Lee to ask her if it was okay for me to play on the piano.

– If you know how to play I will let you, but remember to close the door.


I nodded and went to the room with the grand piano. I took a seat and start to warm up my hands. Then I played some classic music and after that I played songs that I liked to sing along to. Suddenly the door opened and a young girl came in to the room. She stood next to me while I played and sang. I smiled to her and she smiled at me. Then she turned her attention to the door. She ran out from the room. I played a little more before I decided to go back to the others. Before that could happen a guy came into the room. He looked to be around my age but seemed so short. I bowed to him and told him my name. He bowed back and told his name. He walked around the piano. I asked him if he wanted to play something, he seemed to be chocked for a moment over that I could speak same language as him. He told me he wanted to hear me play. I just nodded and started to play. He stood next to me and looked at my fingers while they where flying around. Playing around in their own world, just like I was with the music.

At one point they boy started to play along with me on the piano. He made sure that it fitted, the music. I made place for him to sit on the chair. Now it was like both him and I was in our own world. It wasn’t until I looked up for a moment to see all the people in the room. At that moment everything stopped. I couldn’t play anymore. The boy next to me, who was Jihoon, the person that the adult had talked about was alsoo looking at me. I bowed to everyone before I leaved the room. My dad explained for his boss my fear of be in the spotlight. Getting to much attention. 

I went to the food and decided to eat a little. Ms. Lee went to me.

– You are really good at the piano.

– Thank you Ms. Lee. I like to play it.

– Wait here, I’ll soon be back.


And then Ms. Lee was gone. I took a deep breath while I drank some soda.

– Did you only come here for the food?
I looked next to me to see Jihoon.

– I don’t have so much to do here, and why are you speaking informal to me? Aren’t you suppose to speak more formal to me?

Jihoon seemed offended.

– Excuse me? 

– Yeah? I mean, I am probably older then you so you should be more formal to me, right?

– But you look like a kid, so you are the one who should speak formal to me.

– I beg your pardon? Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You seem to be to short to decide anything.


Jihoon start to cough before he spoke.

– My length have nothing to do with age. What year are you born?

– Year 1996, and you?

– I don’t believe you.

– What?!

Then my dad, Ms and Mr Lee came to us.

– Time to take photo. Put the kids in the middle.

– I’m NOT a kid.

Was something that both me and Jihoon said to our parents. We looked back at each others. Our parents laughed a little before we was posing for the camera. After the picture I decided to sit down at one of the tables. Jihoon took a seat at the other side. He looked at me while he ate of his food.

– I guess we both could drop the formal talk then.

Jihoon said suddenly. I must admit, I got a little chocked over his suddenly comment.

– Sure. 

I had drank up my drink and wanted more soda. I looked at Jihoon.

– Could you please pass me the soda?

And he did so. I tried to open the bottle but I was to weak. I sighed. Meanwhile Jihoon took the bottle from me while he start to talk to me.

– Do you live somewhere close here?
– Boy, I grow up in another country if that says something.
– I mean now, here in Korea.
He held up soda into my glass and I sad stop when it was enough with soda.



After he and I had eaten and was full, he wanted to show me around.

– Mom, I will show Debbie around a little. 

– Okay, bring your jacket to give her if she get cold.

Jihoon nodded and took his jacket with him.



I was waiting outside, looking at the pretty flowers.

– Have you never seen a flower before?

I looked up at Jihoon. I was on my feet within seconds.

– Yes I have, but none like these. So where are you going to take me?

– Just follow me.

Jihoon start to walk and I walked after him. It was quiet. I didn’t know if I should talk or not. I felt nervous. We went to a park and there he start to talk to me again.

– What is your favorite flavor?

– What?

– Favorite flavor in ice-cream?

– Ah! I like vanilla.

– Baby.

He said before he went away. I stayed where he had leaved me and decided to take pictures with my phone. It didn’t take long until Jihoon was back.

– Can I take a picture of us? 

I asked him, he nodded and smiled for the camera while holding our ice-creams. I took the picture and then I put my phone away before I took my ice-cream from him. We talked and I told him about my life back home. How it was to move here. He told about his life and his friends. The more we spoke the more I seemed to feel relaxed around this boy. He wasn’t troublesome and was creative like me.
Soon it got a little bit cold. Jihoon didn’t say anything. He just put on me his jacket. This guy seemed different then the people I was used to hang out with. Suddenly my phone rang and I answered it.

– Hi dad! Yeah, I am at the park with Jihoon. Oh, we are leaving soon? Okay. Bye dad.


Jihoon had already understood what I had said to my dad, even thou we spoke in english. Jihoon waited for me to catch up to him before we walked back. When we was at the house both our parents was there waiting for us. I went over to my dad. I stood close to him. My dad and me bow for family Lee and they bow back. Me and my dad went to our car.

– That isn’t your jacket.

My dad pointed out. I realized I was still wearing Jihoons jacket so I decided to run back to the house.
 I searched after Jihoon and when I found him he was face-calling someone. Probably a friend. I took of the jacket and bow.

– Thank you Jihoon for borrow me your jacket.

– No, you can keep it. It wont get any warmer from now on, so give back another day.

– But I don’t even have your phone number or anything. How will I contact you?

Jihoon looked back at his phone and said goodbye to his friend before he gave me his phone. 

– Write down your number.

And I did so. He called the number to make sure it went to my phone, which it did. Then I said buy to him again and thanked him before I went back to the car.


– If he is giving you trouble let me know. I will show him no mercy.

I looked up at my dad to realize he was joking.