Chapter 3 - Her Roommate

The Promises I'll Keep Only For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yuri]

“Rise and shine!” I opened the curtains to let sunlight fall on Jessica.

“Ten more minutes.” Jessica groaned while pulling her covers over her head.

“And in ten minutes, all of my pancakes will be gone.”

“You made pancakes?!” She shot up, eyes wide and mouth open. I slightly nodded.

“What's up lately. You've been cooking when you don't need to?” Jessica stretched and headed for her bathroom. Is she catching onto my plan? I shrugged my shoulders.

“I just feel like cooking. Anyways, I’ll be waiting outside, alright?” An okay was hollered from the bathroom while I exited her room.

It took about 30 minutes before Jessica came out of her room. She wore a loose buttoned up shirt paired with blue skinny jeans and finished off with monkey socks. She must've caught me staring at the socks because she said, “What~. They're my favorite socks.” Her favorite socks that were a present from me, ten years ago. I ruffled her hair while she tried to get away from me.

“It's nothing. Come on let's go get some pancakes for you.”

I lead us to the dining room, where I already asked a staff to set up breakfast for Jessica. Like I always do, I pulled out her chair, and addressed anything she wanted or needed. I guess she didn’t have much of an appetite because she finished breakfast in record time.

“Thank you for breakfast, Yuri.” Jessica smiled. I took her plate and gave it to a nearby maid.

“The pleasure is mine. So, have you decided on the matter about university?” I asked while cleaning up the table.

“Hmmm~. I’ve always planned to go to college but something’s off. Why did he offer Seoul University…?” She followed my movements with her eyes.

“Are you sure you don’t know anything?”

“If I had known what Uncle’s intentions were, I would have told you.” I reassured her.

“Your right, you would’ve told me.” I heard her sigh.

“Let’s get this over with. We’re going to Dad’s office.” She left first, leaving me to follow her.

---

“Take it or leave it, Dad.” Jessica crossed her arms, standing in front of Uncle with a stance that emitted the aura of a royal princess. Meanwhile, Uncle sat at his desk, with a hand rubbing the side of his chin.

“You are telling me to give you unlimited funds for your duration at university with a brand-new sports car and private jet. Why do you even need a private jet if you’re supposed to be attending school?”

“There are such things as breaks in the school year.”

Uncle dramatically sighed, coinciding with Jessica’s wishes.

“Fine. You’ll get what you want. Just be prepared, university starts in a few weeks.”

“Thank you, Dad.” Jessica smiled coyly. She spun on her heels, on her way out the door. Passing me, she said, “Yuri get ready, we’re going shopping.”

“Okay.”

I nodded bye to her and stayed behind since I could feel Uncle’s eyes on me. I knew that Uncle wanted to say something to me.

“You don’t plan on telling her the truth do you, Yuri?” When I faced Uncle, he had an unreadable expression.

“Jessica would have objected to my plans.” I told him.

If Jessica found I’m the one that asked to Uncle to go to Seoul, she would lose it. A shudder ran down my spine. She would honestly neck slice me.

“You are really set on learning the truth aren’t you.” Uncle’s expression was no longer unreadable, pity showed.

“Well, everyone has to come from somewhere. I merely want to know where I come from.”

Call it childish of me, but I want to know who my parents are. I want to know why I was abandoned, to know why I was left at Uncle’s doorsteps and adopted by the family butler. Just thinking about what I might learn leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

“Yuri.” I refocused back on Uncle. “I’ll support you in whatever you need to find your parents.”

“Thank you, Uncle.” I did a small bow before leaving Uncle’s office.

---

Today marks the day Jessica and I move to Seoul. Over the past couple weeks, Jessica had gone on a wild shopping spree to be up to date with the latest fashion trends. Though if I’m asked, I’d say she makes trends, so there was no need to go shopping.

Hours before we were set to leave, I asked if I could visit places I would miss and of course Jessica was reluctant of letting me go off on my own, but Uncle managed to convince her to let me.

I was making my way up flights of stairs to reach the top of a hill. A cold chilly wind draft blew when I reached the top. No surprise there since at higher elevations it gets colder. I gripped harder onto the bouquet of flowers I was holding. My trip up here would be a waste if the flowers were swept away by the wind.

On top of the hill, rows of headstones were present. I past the first couple of rows, reaching the last one. Only one large headstone was present. I wiped it clean and then kneeled in front of the headstone and placed the flowers in front of it.

“Auntie, Jessica and I are going to Seoul. It’s a bit far from home but do not worry, I will protect Jessica. Just how I promised her.”

I continued to fix my gaze at the words enscribed on the headstone, ‘A wife. A mother. One that will be missed dearly.’

Auntie, also known as Jessica’s mother, layed at rest here. She passed away a long time ago that most workers for the Jungs do not know her or have met her. Most of the older workers had found new jobs or had retired. Uncle and Jessica could never stomach that Auntie was gone, so they never visited here. But I did because no one else would.

I got back up to finish cleaning the area. As I was wrapping up, my phone ringed.

“Hello?” I picked up the phone.

“Yuri!! Are you done!? It’s almost time to go!” Jessica yelled through the phone.

I stifled a laugh. She truly sounds like a whiny child right now.

“Don’t worry, I’m on my way. Just wait for me, okay?” I heard her faintly stomp her foot.

“You’re lucky I care for you. If not, I’d left you behind.”

---

Thirteen and a half hours later, we finally touched ground in South Korea. Jessica and I are used to traveling so getting our belongings were a breeze until we had to leave. Although Uncle tried to keep our arrival as hushed as possible, Korean news outlets still managed to find out Jessica was coming to Korea. When Jessica and I exited the airport, there was a sea of reporters.

“Ms. Jung! What brings you to South Korea?!”

“Are you here to expand Jung Enterprise?!”

“How long is your stay here?!”

An array of questions was fired at Jessica. She said nothing and tried to walk forward but the crowd kept pushing against us. So, I guided Jessica through the reporters by slightly pushing them out of the way. We reached the curb and I looked around for our driver, Kim Taehyung. I saw that he was pulling up to us and got out of the car to help put our suitcases into the trunk.

“I apologize for the delay, Ms. Jung, Mr. Kwon. There was a major car accident on my way here.”

Jessica didn't say anything but there was this invisible aura surrounding her that showed she was irritated. Our driver seemed a bit nervous with her response, so I tried to assure him.

“It is fine. I understand for the delay.” I said while opening the door for Jessica.

He just gave me a smile of relief. I then followed Jessica into the car. Soon the driver got in and we were on our way to Seoul University. Uncle decided that Jessica and I were ‘too young’ to have our own loft and insisted that we live on campus.

When I glanced at Jessica, she had taken off her sunglasses and was staring out of the tinted window. Most people see her being expressionless, but I know that's not true. If you look deeper, you'll see the turmoil of emotions swirling inside of her. Nervous. Scared. And possibly anticipation. I reached out to squeeze her hands. She looked down at our hands and then at me. I gazed at the eyes and she did the same thing.

You'll do just fine.

I know… because you'll be here with me.

Without having to say anything but look into each other's eyes yet know what we're saying to each other. Only true friends could do so and I proud that Jessica and I can. She gripped harder onto my hand when we passed by a sign that read ‘Seoul university- 5 miles’. I soothingly massaged her hand to loosen up.

“Sorry, Yuri…” She murmured when she saw a faint handprint on my hand.

“It's okay. I understand.” I whispered back. We returned to silence as we could see the university come into sight.

---

Jessica and I were supposed to meet someone who would take us to meet the dean. Or more like he or she was supposed to greet us. We left Taehyun in the parking lot until we figured out where we would be going.

Although classes didn't start yet, there were already students hanging out with friends, familiarizing themselves with the campus. Of course, once they saw us they stopped talking to each other and were eyeing us in shock. More specifically, they were eyeing Jessica.

“Where are we supposed to go, Yuri.” Jessica muttered under her breath. We stopped to rest by a water fountain.

“Let’s go to the admission office. They could help us.”

I pointed at a sign that read ‘admission office’. We both looked in the direction the sign was pointing and saw a large building. Instead of replying she just nodded her head and we started making our way to the admission office. Word about our arrival traveled fast because along

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter