C.2 Jeon Jungkook

Scars to Your Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’ve been working for my part time job for more than seven hours now, and unable to take the stress any longer I think I should leave. And I leave at six-thirty on the dot after washing all the dishes and done arranging them in the cabinets. When I come home, he’s already changed out of his school uniform into shorts and a sleeveless grey top, and is lying flat on the sofa, watching Melon Music Chart and half-heartedly eating nachos.

“How was your first day?” he asks.

“Good, but .” Is all I can say. I lift a hand from the sofa and make a so-so motion.

“You should stop working. I don’t need anymore money.” His eyes are still on TV. I let out a chuckle. “Who says it’s for you? I’m working for myself, I need money for make ups you see.”

“You never wear make up.” He cuts me short. I roll my eyes.

“How was the new school?”

“School? Oh – fine. So many pretty chickens there.”

“Chicken?” I give him a stupid look. “ert.” I am about to ask him further about the new school he transferred to when he continues quickly, “Want anything from the kitchen? Coke? Ramen? Some pills?”

“Hot chocolate would be lovely.”

“Without milk.” He says, leaving me with a smile.

As he leaves, my phone buzzes with a text from Seo Hyun. She’s finally replied to the message I sent her this morning about the job vacancy in her mom’s restaurant.

My mom says you can start working tomorrow night. We’ll provide you with the clothes. Hang in there, Jung Ah. Chaiyok! – Seo Hyun x [7.15 p.m]

When I see him returns with a mug of hot chocolate, I immediately shove the handphone inside the pillow and pretend to intensely watch the show to see the winner for this week’s chart. He hands the mug to me, and flings himself next to me on the sofa, with a bowl of chips.

“You know what, you’re the high schooler you shouldn’t eat too many chips. Get yourself some good food.” I say, and get the bowl from him, which makes him frowns and whines.

“Stop it! It’s just a habit. You know me, don’t you? I just love chips so much. And chips are cheap, we don’t have to spend a lot of money on this. Give it back to me,” He insists and of course with my small arms and biceps I cannot beat him from taking the bowl again from me. It makes me silent, listening to the word ‘cheap’ that he mentioned just now.

We watch Melon Music Chart in peaceful silence for a while. I’m partly watching the TV, partly wondering if I find iKON’s Bobby is cute, and partly thinking if I am not doing a good job for this family. I’m about to tell him to stop – that he doesn’t have to worry about money – that I will do anything it takes for both of us, when he suddenly squeezes my hand, and starts talking.

“I didn’t mean any of what I said just now. I’m sorry.” He says, after about five minutes. I know my eyes are teary but I intentionally let out stupid chuckles to avoid the awkwardness between us.

“A-ra, well you’re right in any way, chips are cheap.”

“I hate seeing you work so hard.”

“I told you I’m working to get money for my make ups, you dummy- “

“I can live without anything but you. I don’t need money. I need you. That’s it.”

I shudder. My eyes look straight to the television. I can feel his head on my shoulder, as he holds my arm very tight.

“I love you, Noona. Let’s get out of here. I don’t need school. Let’s go somewhere else. Only us.”

“Kook-ah, I’m okay. See? I’m doing okay. I don’t feel tired, in fact, I love doing part-time jobs I got so many friends, and the customers – they give me tips, you know sometimes I get more than hundreds won a week for that, don’t you think it’s good? It’s nice, right- “

“NOONA!”

His booming voice has finally gotten into me, and my lips stuck to my teeth. I have never seen him furious like what I see right now.

“I had enough of this! You don’t need money? Then off! Get out from here! Do you think we can live well even if we leave this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter