First time

From Seoul to Busan ( I met a stranger named Kim...)

 

There was another hour and half for the train to reach Busan and Chanyeol was bored, so bored that the words he was reading were beginning to feel like jokes to him.

On the headlines today was, "Byun Baekhyun runs off from his entertainment company and marries his former girlfriend, Kim-"

When right then there was a knock on the door. Promptly it opened and the conductor appeared again.

"What would you like to have for dinner sire?" The Conductor asked and handed him a menu card that looked like a pamphlet of some retro soap opera.

Choosing whatever he presumed would be to his liking, the conductor gave his best smile and turned towards the stranger who was asleep with the headphones still on and the book just about to fall off of his lap.

"Excuse me sire?" He tried to wake him up, but considering no noise could enter his ears at the moment, the conductor gave up and decided to come back later.

 

Chanyeol folded the newspaper the way it was before and threw it beside him.

Looking outside, he couldn't see a thing due to the foggy glass and tiny particles of snow-flakes, and he dared not open the window lest the cold would kill the warmness inside the compartment.

The book the stranger was deliberately holding, suddenly fell, making the latter jolt open his heavy-lidded eyes.

As fast as Chanyeol's reflexes were, he quickly leaned in forward and picked up the book.

"Here." He handed it over to him with a gentle smile.

"Thank you." The stranger spoke for the first time and pushed back his headphones.

For some reason, Chanyeol thought that this was the best opening for him to introduce himself before the stranger would once more go back to his own individual heavenly body.

"Hi, I'm Park Chanyeol." He reached out his hand and waited.

The stranger hesitated for a moment, his lips twitched but no words surrendered.

"Uh..what's your name?"

The stranger finally reached out his hand and unrolled his tongue, "I'm Kim-"

Once again, there was a knock on the door and in entered the conductor with Chanyeol's meal.

Unconsciously, the both of them let go of each others hand and rearranged themselves in their places.

"Ah sire, you are awake now. What would you like to have for dinner?" He asked, carefully placing Chanyeol's meal on his table.

The stranger didn't answer.

"Sire?" He asked again.

And Chanyeol noticed, that the latter was rather too shy to talk.

"You want to have what I'm having?" He asked, and the stranger shrugged.

A sigh escaped the conductors lips as he looked at Chanyeol, "He will have the same." Chanyeol said and the conductor nodded, immediately leaving their compartment.

 

The sound of fork and knife clanking to the China ware created a noisy atmosphere in the noiseless compartment of Park Chanyeol's and the stranger's.

Gradually chewing on his steak, he would time and time again look at the unfamiliar individual amusingly.

There were no talks between them, just eye contacts, but short ones.

 

The train had arrived it's destination and Chanyeol was way too excited to meet her.

Before leaving the compartment, he turned towards the stranger once and asked, "You never said your name."

But the stranger slipped on his headphones and increased it's volume, so loud that Chanyeol could hear it himself. Soft music. Nice choice.

Chanyeol reasoned that it wasn't on purpose that he didn't hear him and that his timing was a bit off, so he cracked a forceful smile to himself and left.

 

 

--