- The Bet

A new beginning

               

Today is swimming competition day at the University of Korea. The institution has no tradition in this sport, as well the entire nation, but gradually seeks to invest in the sport that has long attracted students and causing it to compete directly with their main rival, Yonsei University. The gym is new, it opened 2 years ago when the swimming program began to have good results. The project was ambitious, olympic pool, giving an amplitude to the place.

Even imagining being a gym with many seats and have her seat assigned , Sooyoung  arrived early at there. In fact she was the first to arrive. It was her first time there and in a swimming competition at all. She is not an athletic person, she would like to be, but as she always says " Its not that I don't like sports. Sports don't like me."

The Korea University gym should not be as big as others out there, but it is the biggest she ever seen in her country. Very well maintained, the chairs in white and red, the university colors, set the tone to the place. It must accommodate up to 2000 people. "The toilets are right there on the left, important to know." Sooyoung likes to know  the ambient, further more if it is an unknown place, with few people she knows - "most places that I go to, if not all, I never know nobody. This is often an advantage, because I can contemplate everything in peace" - at least that's what she says to herself.

After looking around the gym, take some pictures with her smartphone, she noticed that people started arriving in the competition area, the silence was over. She looked one last time to the Olympic pool which was so quiet that for a moment did not seem to be full of water, and imagined that soon would see the person she so admired there.

Her imagination was interrupted when she heard screams of the organization's staff hit the latest details. They seemed to be talking to each other referees. Suddenly one of them noticed her presence and just staring. He didn't seem angry, but curious for someone to be so early in the gym. Sooyoung looked away, she didn't know if she has exceeded a limit and didn't wanted  to know. She pretended to look at something on the phone and climbed the steps to know where is her place.

B24. "Wow, it's a great place!" She thought aloud, but did not stay long there because felt the eyes of that man was still in her , then went to the snack bar she had seen when entered the gym. She was hungry, she didn't eat too much for breakfast because wanted to taste the food from the cafeteria from the gym. "One of the best ways to experience new things is eating" says her grandmother.

The menu, which was in the back wall of the place, had 5 food options: hot dog, popcorn, burger, vegan snack and french fries. Four options of drinks and some desserts. "No Korean food, just western food." Sooyoung didn't know what to expect, but still was unsure about her order.

- "How big is the burger?"

The attendant looked puzzled at her in doubt whether it she was speaking with him. Sooyoung realized his doubt, "If my grandparents saw me they would scold me" and then rephrased her words.

- "Excuse my manners." She said smiling. "What's your name?"

- "I'm James," replied the attendant who now admire the exotic beauty of the girl.

- " Nice to meet you, I am Sooyoung and would like to take some questions about the snacks then make my order." She continued smiling.

The employee was not used to so polite guests and gave a smile to her. He remembered the girl's first question and answered her.

- "No problems. Answering your first question, the burger is medium size, but I suggest complete with something for a big appetite. "

- "The vegan snack is medium too?"

- "All snacks are medium size, so maybe they are small for a big appetite."

- "Hum, so I'll have a hamburger, fries, a vegan snack and a glass of iced tea to drink."

- "It seems that you had a big appetite. I will prepare your order and I'll be back soon.."

Sooyoung thanked him with a shy smile, but at the same time proud of her big appetite. While waiting, she was looking around and noticed that the gym was already half occupied. "This people came fast or I took so much time to choose?" She looked at her chair and was relieved to see that the seats around her were empty. The seats are marked, but she's terrified of someone would steal her place and would have to end up arguing with the person for it. She didn't know how to react in such a situation. Even more that she earned the invitation of someone and maybe this someone might find her there, so she needs to be there. A big smile came over her face to remember who gave her the ticket. For a long time I not feel something like this. Her thoughts were interrupted when a lady approached.

- "Good morning, Miss! Do you know where is the row D?"

Surprise with the approach, Sooyoung took a while to respond. But soon she composed herself and answered the lady.

- "It's the fourth row counting from bottom to top. What is the number of your seat?"

- "It's 3, I am with my grandchildren, D10, D11 and D12."

Sooyoung then noticed the presence of two children, a boy and a girl. The girl must be 7 years and the boy  5. Both have their arm attached to the grandmother leg. Must be shy.

- "My place is the B24, is in this direction" pointed forward. "Your seats should be this way, at the beginning of that row." She pointed to the right with a smile.

-"Thank you." The lady returned smile and directed to her place.

- "You're welcome and good competition." She spoke in a higher pitch, because the old lady had already started to leave. The lady nodded.

- "Is it right to speak good competition? I don't think so, she will not even compete, they will watch, you idiot." She thought aloud. "What is spoken in these situations?"

- "Miss Sooyoung, your order!" James interrupted her thoughts. She looked at the tray of food that made her eyes shine.

- "How much?"

- "$ 20"

She took the wallet in her purse that won from her sister and gave James the money.

- "Thank you, I think soon I'll be back to get dessert." James nodded with a smile and was soon meet another customer.

Sooyoung took her tray with care not to drop anything. "Imagine overthrow tea in food, would be a disaster. I know it's end up mixing one time or another, they will merge within me, but not before I eat." Finally arrived at her place, B24. Right in the middle of the gym, a very good place, perhaps one of the best in the gym, according to what can be observed. Since you can see the entire length of the pool and is very close to everything including the bathroom that will be important when she finish that cup of tea. But it is also her first time here, perhaps not the best place, but she likes to imagine it may be, that the person who gave the ticket has given a special ticket. To her right side there are two seats vacant and the stairs of access to others seats and the left continues the row of chairs. After settling, she began to eat the burger.

Behind her four friends talking.

- "I told you that we were not late, the water isn't moving, we didn't need to come running..."

- "Jessica, we didn't come running, we just walked a little faster."

- "Fany, you know my motto, no matter how late is, never run."

- "Don't be dramatic, Jes, let's go to our seats. I think the competition soon will begin."

- "It seems that someone took our place." Sunny pointed to the row of seat 2.

- "Let me see the tickets." Taeyeon asked hurriedly.

- "And you tell me that we were not late hunf." Tiffany replied.

- "The seats are marked, don't worry." Jessica rolling her eyes to the drama of her friends. "There are so many places I don't know why so much stress!"

"We have here the B22, B23, B25 and B26 seats. We can ask to trade places with her"- Taeyeon said

"Why do girls gave us chopped places?" Sunny asked annoyed. "I haven't wanted to be here and then I would still have to fight to stay along side of my friends."

They looked at each other and suspected something phishing. "Let's find out." Tiffany completed determined.

The girls approached their seats and could better look at the "intruder." She appeared to be tall, had big eyes and a round face, a little different from girls who saw here. She wore jeans, converse and a printed blue shirt. "It is casual, but you can notice that her clothes are branded, mainly this purse." Thought Tiffany.

-"Excuse me." Tiffany called. The person did not seem to understand, and the girls looked at each other.

"I believe that she didn't hear you." Sunny whispered.

Sooyoung was finalizing her burger when she felt a nudge on her shoulder. She looked to her right and saw four girls. All of the same age, apparently her age. Neither one was tall, but two seemed very short compared with other two. The shorter one had short and blond hair, the other smaller one had dark hair at the height of the shoulders. The other two had long hair, one had lighter hair and the other had black hair. They all are gorgeous. The long black hair and apparently who nudged her, had a different smile, an eyesmile. Sooyoung looked at her and the girl began to speak.

- "Sorry, you could trade places with us?"

Her greatest fear of that moment took place. She would have to discuss the place seat. But it was so unfair. The seats are numbered to not happen this kind of problem. At that moment she remembered her brother, who repeatedly protected her and always said "Sooyoung, you have to impose yourself, even if it may sound rude."

She swallowed the last bite of her burger, took a sip of tea, took a deep breath and said:

- "Hello, I'm Sooyoung! What your ticket number?" She replied with a confident smile, but inside she was very nervous. The girls were surprised by the answer. So Taeyeon said. "B22, B23, B25, B26".

- "So, these are places here by my side." She pointed than looked back at the girls and smiled. She looked at her tray and began to eat potatoes because she wanted to eat them, but also because she was nervous. The girls looked at each other, shrugged and took their places. Sunny and Jessica sat on the left side of Sooyoung and Tiffany and Taeyeon to the right. "My brothers say that sometimes I'm very honest, but honesty is fundamental." She reflected for a moment.

-"Sorry, but this place is important to me. I won the ticket from a special person and if she look for me will know where to find me. Besides, I don't want her to think that I belittle her gift trading my seat with somebody else. I understand that you should want to be sitting together, but I promise to not intrude on your conversation. Do you want some fries?" Sooyoung said everything very fast and with some nervousness, but the end she was relieved. The girls smiled and Tiffany accepted the food.

-"Thank you and no problem, we are not hurt and maybe we can be friends, nice to meet you, I'm Tiffany." Sooyoung smiled, she already likes her.

Jessica, who came unwillingly, started to find more interesting in this event, "this girl looks interesting, at least it's different than any other I met, besides having a huge appetite."

- "You look hungry hum?" Taeyeon said. Tiffany glared at her.

Sooyoung is confident in many ways and one of them is food and her appetite.

- "I like to taste food from different places. It's my first time here, so I wanted to know how is the food. My grandmother always says that one of the best ways to experience new things is eating." She finished with a smile.

- "Sooyoung, this one is Taeyeon, Jessica and Sunny."

- "Nice to meet you I am Choi Sooyoung.."

- "You're a vegetarian?" Tiffany asked.

"Oh no. Before you arriving I tasted the meat burger. I recommend. I've eaten better than this, in the city center, at the corner of the street 2, the best burger I ate in Seoul. But James did well this one, I think it should be the sauce that has a different taste. I need to ask him ... But as he told me, is not for those with big appetite, and I'm this kind of person, and I was in doubt if i take the hot dog or the vegetarian  but I chose for this, because it if one day I become a vegetarian, I know where to find food." Sooyoung noticed she was talking too much and remembered how her siblings already repress her when she talk too much. "I'm sorry. I ended up talking a lot just to answer a simple question." Then she lowered her head and went back to eating the fries.

The girls found it lovely. Indeed, Sooyoung is someone different.

- "Don't worry. I'm loving having your company. These three wake up recently and are still too slow. " Sooyoung really liked Tiffany. She offered her vegan snack, but the girls denied and she began to eat.

Meanwhile, the girls began exchanging messages on cell phones.

Sunny - Who do you think gave her the invitation?

Jessica - Ohhh I didn't think about it ... -_-

Taeyeon - Good morning, Jess. I bet on Hyoyeon

Tiffany - Stop talking in the phone. This is rude. I bet on Yuri :P

Jessica - Yoona. She is her type.

Sunny - Seohyun. She is strange like her kkkk

Taeyeon - kkk good shot.

Tiffany - Stop talking around here ... I wish I had chosen Seohyun :(

Jessica - So why did you choose Yuri?

Tiffany - Because she does the Yuri type, too.

Sunny - All women are Yuri's type.

Taeyeon -Truth kkkk

- "It's very good the vegetarian, do you want?" Sooyoung noticed they were on the phone. She didn't want to interrupt them, but feel uncomfortable when they do this to her. She never talk on a cell phone when other people are talking to her - maybe because few people talk with me on the phone ... Tiffany noticed her discomfort and smiled.

- " So if you turn vegetarian,  you can continue to accept tickets to come here.  Now you know you will have what to eat." Sooyoung smiled and her cheeks reddened. Tiffany and Jessica noticed her dimples and found it lovely.

Jessica - She has dimples. Definitely was Yoona.

Sunny - I thought you and Tiffany who liked dimples.

Taeyeon - It makes no sense to call someone because of "dimples" and I have dimples too  :D

Jessica - She combines with Yoona also because she eating too much.

Tiffany - GIRLS!

Sooyoung noticed that the girls greeted some people away. They must be popular.

- "It's my first time in a competition swimming, did you ever come here?" She wanted to know more about them. Since she joining the university, Tiffany is the student who exchanged more words with her that were not about studies.

- "Yes, our friends swim and will swim today."

First time I heard the voice of the girl to my left, the long, light hair, Jessica. Sooyoung smiled back, she seems nice, but shy.

- "Me and Sunny are on the athletics team. Two of our friends from the swim team are also in athletics too."

- "Me and Jessica are the only sedentary, already has a lot of athletes in the squad.." Commented Taeyeon.

- "You're in some team?" Sunny asked.

Sooyoung looked surprised and choked on her tea. Tiffany slapped her back and Soo returned with a smile.

-"I'm sorry and thank you. No. I'm not an athletic person. Me and sports do not get along ..."

"But you're so thin and eat a lot, how can you?!" Taeyeon asked. Sooyoung likes her, she seems to be quite honest.

-"Hum, my metabolism is fast." Realizing that they were not happy with the answer, Soo completed. "But I walk a lot. Today I came here walking and I always go walking to the University or in my bicycle"

"You live in the dormitory?" - Tiffany asked.

"No, I live in an apartment a few blocks from college, but I do everything walking or by bicycle, not just going to college." Sooyoung tried to explain to show that she is not so sedentary.

"Definitely you're much more athletic than these two." Tiffany laughed pointing to Jessica and Taeyeon. "This one is known as Human Paper, she is a disaster with sports." All laughed except Taeyeon.

Sunny - Yoona would be too perfect for her. The two don't get fat, so I think it is not Yoona. God would not be so unfair.

Taeyeon -Tiffany stop talking these things about me >: |

Jessica - I envy her D:

Tiffany - GIRLS

- "I was very surprised when I saw it was Olympic pool here. There are only 10 Olympic swimming pools in Korea."

The girls looked surprises to Sooyoung.

- "I googled about swimming before coming here. Is a really interesting sport but I didn't found much about the athletes from here..." Sooyoung was trying to hold a conversation.

Sunny - Definitely Seohyun

Taeyeon - kkk

- "What do you want to know about the athletes from here?" Tiffany realized that Sooyoung wanted more information.

- "You want to know more about who gave you the ticket? That person will swim today?" Taeyeon go straight to the point. Tiffany looked at her friend scolding her.

Sooyoung turned red. If she could get up and run away she would . She lowered her head and saw that had already eaten all of her snacks. She looked at the clock and realized it has 10 minutes before starting the competition. She got up, apologized and said she will returned.

Tiffany turned to Taeyeon and spoke: "Why did you do that? You didn't see how she was uncomfortable? Put yourself in her place. You just know 4 people who probably know the person who gave her the ticket! Don't be rude, Tae."

-"Sorry, I don't want to make her uncomfortable. At least I'm talking. Jessica is mute and Sunny only talk on the phone."

"We will officiate the bet. Each $5? I Seohyun, Jess in Yoona, Tae in Hyo and Tif in Yuri." Tiffany rolled her eyes, but agreed.

Sooyoung was in the cafeteria, because she wanted to think. She is quick with numbers, with several things, but she is very slow with people. When asked by Taeyeon she became speechless. "I didn't know what to say." Deep down she wanted to know more about Yuri, but she talked about the lack information about the athletics of university not with this objective. For sure the girls know Yuri, which makes her situation more complicated. "I should have changed places when they asked, at least I'm will not be in this situation. I should leave. Look around Sooyoung, there is so much beautiful girls around here. There are 4 sitting beside you, why would she want something with you?"

_________________________

Sooyoung will go away? The girls will guess who was the author of the invitation? Soo will eat something more? LOL

Next chapter: Soori  :D