Were

Fragmentary

Were

HyuKen

★★★

Sanghyuk’s heart jumped to his throat as the large, brown wolf crouched in front of him. Its yellow eyes practically glowing as it met his terrified stare. Sanghyuk wished he didn’t wander off from the campsite. Hakyeon had never failed to nag it into him every minute he could. Sanghyuk wished he actually listened. Hakyeon was gonna have his head.

Or what’s left of him after this.

The wolf moved closer and Sanghyuk bit back a whimper while scrambling backwards – rocks digging into his hand as he did so. The wolf followed his every movement.

Until his back hit a tree.

.

Sanghyuk flattened himself against the tree, as if it would help him get farther away from the wolf.

It didn’t of course – but Sanghyuk pressed his back harder. His heart was beating faster now, and air barely made it to his lungs as the overwhelming feeling of terror filled his entire body. Oh god, was this how he was going to die?

He expected his life to flash before his eyes, like in all those stories he'd read before - but it didn't. He only saw sharp teeth and deadly claws. 

If he survived this, he was going to write a very angrily worded letter to all those authors and tell them their near-death descriptions were bloody lies.

If he survived.

He shut his eyes, not wanting to witness his imminent death. He felt the wolf come closer until its breath fanned against his face. Sanghyuk’s fingers dug into the ground and his eyes started to prickle. His heart stuttered and his stomach lurched with dread. Sanghyuk gulped and vaguely wondered when the wolf would get it over with. As much as he didn’t want to die yet, he’d rather that the beast kill him in the fastest way possible.

Then, suddenly, the breath was gone and the shadow that had covered the moonlight from behind his eyelids disappeared. Sanghyuk exhaled for a bit. Just a bit.

Was it gone? Did it magnanimously decide to spare Sanghyuk’s life? Can wolves be that nice?

He didn’t want to get his hopes up – so Sanghyuk kept his eyes shut. Refusing to open them just to be met with sharp teeth that would shred him to bits. He sat against the tree, petrified.

Until a whimper reached his ears.

Was that the wolf? Did something happen?

Another whimper, followed by cracking – not unlike the sound of branches snapping.

Did someone come to his rescue?

Sanghyuk opened his eyes, hoping to find one of his friends there despite odds being slim. Maybe it would be Taekwoon – he knew how to beat up things double his size. Or Hongbin – he could find a way to get them out of there with some kind of crazy idea that would either work or kill them – but Sanghyuk was willing to take chances. Or Wonshik – Wonshik’s pretty badass when he wanted to be – if he woke up in the middle of one of his comatose naps. Honestly, anyone would do at this point.

He didn’t find any of them though.

But something did happen. Or was happening.

The wolf was on the ground, its body convulsing unnaturally that, in spite of the opportunity for escape presented to him, Sanghyuk couldn’t move. His horrified, yet curious, gaze not leaving the beast. Then, to his utter disbelief, the wolf’s fur started to recede. Its limbs twisting and disjointing into lean arms and legs – body t into a slender build. Its snout sunk until it formed a tall nose and full lips. Its ears became human-like, yet still somewhat pointed in shape. Its seemingly glowing eyes darkened into brown.

Sanghyuk gaped.

“J-Jaehwan-hyung?” He stammered. His eyes wide in disbelief at the sight of one of his friends in place of the wolf that was inches away from killing him. No, his friend was the wolf. “You- you just-“

Jaehwan crawled towards him until he was at his feet. Sanghyuk couldn’t even throw out one of his usual sassy comments about the older’s ness because he had just been a wolf earlier.

“Hyung…” Sanghyuk managed to croak out from his dry throat. “… oh god hyung you were a wolf.”

Jaehwan gave him a look of utter seriousness. His voice grave as he replied. “Yes, Hyukkie, I’m a Were.”


(And, after a moment, Sanghyuk would punch him hard for making a pun during a serious moment. Jaehwan would whine and complain about that hurting and Sanghyuk would sass back at him. And as Jaehwan explains, it slowly devolves into laughs... Sanghyuk still wants to get back at him for scaring him like that though.)

DISCLAIMER: This was inspired by this post. This pun wasn't my idea.

A/N: I'm sure you hate me for this. Yes. I wrote this for that pun. I'm sorry I'm terrible. But Jaehwan and werewolf puns should be a thing. Please tell me you guys got the pun QvQ (Just in case: "I'm a Were" = "I'm aware"... Were coz werewolf)