A Mended Heart

A Mended Heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

The thunder roared and it was raining heavily. The smell of ground filled my nose as the rain hits the street rapidly; I grasped onto my umbrella and approached the bus stop, impatiently waiting for the metro bus to come. I noticed a girl—a girl about my age probably, and she was just standing right there out in the rain. She seemed to be crying because her eyes was red and puffy but I wasn’t so sure because drops of rain water had befallen on her face, covering any traces to see if she was crying or not. She didn’t have an umbrella with her, and was thus soaking in the rain for some reason. Knowing that if you soak out in the rain for too long, you can catch a fever, so I approached her slowly and she looked up at me silently without saying a word.

 

“You’ll be sick if you stay out in the rain like this, do you want to stand under my umbrella?” I kindly offered, but totally sounding like a creep in the end. She stared at me and wiped away the rain water from her face to take a look at me clearly, and now that I saw her face more clearly also, she was definitely crying.

 

“It’s okay, I’m fine. Thank you.” She said, facing away from me as she made hand movements as to wipe away her tears again.

 

“Are you sure?” I asked her, and she nodded, turning back at me.

 

“Thanks for the concern.” She told me short, her voice was quivering and I can tell she was about to burst in tears.

 

Before I even said anything back, the bus had came, and the girl wasn’t getting on. I told the driver to wait for me, and quickly gave the girl my umbrella, “You’ll be sick without it.” I told her and quickly hopped back onto the bus before I get soaked myself.

 

She looked at me with a dazed expression, “I’m..I’m fine without it!” she said stuttering, but I just waved my hands bye as the bus moved further along, away from her.

 

---

 

 

I sat there in boredom in my Psychology lecture class as someone barged into the door, the boredom finally ceased with the entry of this person—it was the girl I saw earlier at the bus station; the one I had gave my umbrella to.

 

“Jang Wooyoung.” She said his name out loud and clear, causing all the classmates to turn around and look at him. My Professor finally spoke up,

 

“What is going on here? Who are you?”

 

“I need to speak with Jang Wooyoung.” She demanded.

 

“Hurry up and go with her, my class does not need any disruptions during lecture time.” My Professor told him, and he got up from his seat, bowing to the teacher before leaving with the girl. She looked at me, but didn’t say anything as she dragged Wooyoung out. It seemed like a lover’s quarrel, but I wouldn’t know.

 

For half of the class, Wooyoung was out with her and I kept wondering to myself what did that girl want from him, were they dating or something? She seemed irritated when she came into the class. These were the thoughts that were in my head, I found it extremely hard to keep up with the lecture now, and it was especially hard when my Professor’s voice was practically dull enough to lullaby me to sleep. While she was facing the board writing the notes out, I laid my arms crossed on the desk and laid my head down on it before proceeding to close my eyes. It wasn’t long before I heard the door open wide again. I rose up and the first thing I saw was seeing Wooyoung walk back to his desk. For the remainder of the class, I just tried my best to focus on the subject, but my curiosity of the girl got the best of me. The girl had long hair which was dyed dark blonde, had a somewhat average body and stature, but she had a pretty face, her eyes was pretty and she herself in general was pretty even though the first time I saw her wasn’t so flattering as she was crying. 

 

She was crying earlier, was it because of Wooyoung?

 

 

---

 

 

It was the end of the class, I yawned as I put my books back into my bag before heading out of the door, but the first thing I saw was the girl standing beside the door, ignoring Wooyoung when he came out of the door in front of me, but instead she greeted me.

 

“Hello.” She said, smiling.

 

“Hi, how are you?” I told her, not knowing what else to say. I saw her holding my umbrella, so most probably she was just here to return me back my umbrella.

 

“I’m much better now, thank you. I just want to return this to you.” She told me, handing me the umbrella. I was right; she was waiting for me to return the umbrella - and probably nothing else.

 

“Thanks for lending it to me.” She said as I took hold of the umbrella out of her hand. I smiled.

 

“No problem, if you don’t mind me asking, why were you—” I tried to ask her, but she interrupted me with the same thing I had in mind and was wondering about.

 

“Why was I crying in the rain, and why did I burst into your lecture class demanding for him?” She completed my thoughts.

 

I nodded, “I’m sorry if I seem a bit nosy, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

 

She chuckled at my statement, “Well, curiosity isn’t killing any cat here, so why not?”

 

I laughed. “That’s a good one. Say, what’s your name?”

 

“My name? My name is Hwang Tiffany, and you?”

 

“Kwon Yuri.” I told her and smiled, extending my hand. She took it and gave it a shake.

 

“Nice to meet you Yuri, if you don’t mind, how about we have a cup of coffee and I can detail the curiosities you are having in your head?”

 

“The pleasure is all mine.” I nodded, and we both went to the nearest coffee shop.

 

---

 

 

“Your first curiosity is why was I crying right?”

 

I nodded, and she proceeded to explain.

 

“My friend called me and told me she founded all of the evidences that Wooyoung was cheating on me, I guess I got a bit emotional and broke down crying - it to find out that someone you loved have been cheating on you all this time.”

 

Wooyoung seemed like a nice guy the last time I was partnered with him and another classmate for a project, but who knew he was such an on the inside.

 

“You’re too good for him, you shouldn’t cry over someone like that.”

 

“And that takes us to your second curiosity, on why I dragged Wooyoung out..well, now you know why, but did you know what I did to him?” 

 

“What?” I chuckled.

 

“The most satisfying thing ever - I slapped him across the face, kicked his crotch and initiated the break up.

 

I choked on my cappuccino and gave her a thumbs up.

 

“That’s the way to go!” I cheered on for her, she laughed and handed me a piece of napkin to wipe away the coffee on my face.

 

“I know! It felt so good. I slapped him so hard my hand was red and throbbing afterwards.”

 

“He deserved it!” I told her, I rose my hand up for a high five and she quickly complied, giggling, and..her eye smiled, the eyes that.. literally smiles, forming into a shape of a crescent moon. I thought my heart would just melt upon seeing the sight of her eye smile. Wait, what is this? Am I having an infatuation for her already?

 

“He sure did deserve it! I never felt so satisfying in awhile now.” She said, and knocked me out of my thoughts.

 

I took a sip of my coffee.

 

“If you haven’t done so, I could have slapped him for you too, after all, I have classes with him everyday.”

 

“And so do I.” She sighed.

 

“You have my class too?” I asked her, baffled, and she nodded.

 

“He asked me to signed up for the same class as him, and I did, I paid for tuition and everything and they won’t let me withdraw from the class nor refund my money, so might as well go learn something.”

 

“It must be irritating to see him every day from now on.” I noted.

 

“I don’t have to worry, you’re there right?” She smiled.

 

“Now I’ll feel less lonely in class!” I said jokingly, but it was true in some aspects. The only negative con with having Tiffany in the class is that—I wouldn’t be able to focus fully on the lectures anymore.

 

---

 

 

The next day, I arrived to class a bit early than usual to save a seat for me and Tiffany, however; I was surprised to see that Tiffany had beat me to my plan and had arrived earlier than I did. She waved her hands over to me and took her bags off the seat next to her before she began to tell me to sit down next to her. Even if she didn’t ask, I would sit next to her instinctively anyway.

 

A few moments later, Wooyoung arrived to class and he gave me the glare. Didn’t know what it’s for; I’m not curious one bit to know why. Tiffany didn’t even give him a glance one bit, and he seemed frustrated over that fact.

 

He walked over to us and placed his hands firmly on Tiffany’s desk.

 

“We have to talk, Fany.”

 

Tiffany looked up at him and scoffed, “What for?” She asked him.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

“They didn’t want to return my tuition fee, that’s why.”

 

“Do you know her or something?” Wooyoung asked Tiffany as he pointed at me, making me feel a little bit uncomfortable as my eyes were just trying to skim through the notes for today’s lecture.

 

“That ‘her’ you’re pointing at is Yuri, my friend.”

 

“I know what her name is.”

 

“Look, don’t think I’m attending class because of you. I only came because Yuri has the same class. If she didn’t I would just forget the money I spent on tuition rather than coming here everyday to see your stupid face.” She told her in one go as his eyes wavered. He was about to say something back, but the teacher yelled at him to be seated back at his desk.

 

“You don’t have to attend class because of me...this class is really boring.” I wh

Please log in to read the full chapter