History

Melting Ice [DISCONTINUED]

 

Sooyeon honestly had expected to see a very thankful woman—that is Teto, danced in joy and thanked her with face full of fresh salty tears of joy… or a hysterical woman that had found out she has been set free from those binding debts.

“Dear, would you like some French breads and milks? Those are free, of course.”

But Sooyeon never expected… this.

Instead of the other… circumstances, she found Teto was calm. Too calm for someone who had been released from their debt. Because of that, Sooyeon decided to bring another topic.

“Teto-sshi, why is gold so…” Expenasive? Expen? Expand?

“So expensive?” Sooyeon nodded, after having difficulties on finding the right word. Despite she lived longer than Teto, Sooyeon was still a child.

Teto only chuckled and sliced the bread to few slices and poured some milk to babies’ glass and regular glass, temporarily ignoring Sooyeon’s question. In truth, Teto was too overwhelmed by the fact of Sooyeon bought her farm, but let her have it for her own. Sooyeon then explained that she and her sister were orphans, though rich, and they didn’t need a farm, as they were very much clueless about it. In return Sooyeon and Soojung were allowed to stay with Choi Family, until Sooyeon has old enough to work as Guild’s mage or other works.

But of course, when Sooyeon explained it all, she only stood there, smiling. Same when she said Sooyeon should stay with her sister. Rule 1# on Kasane Clan, never falter in front of any guests. KEEP. SMILING. SQUEAL OR THROW TANTRUM LATER.

After a few seconds of silence, Sooyeon felt her patient ran thin. “I’m asking.” Sooyeon stated indignantly. She wasn’t a very patient person to begin with. Then again, she was still a child and very much starving. Hungry child was never a patient one.

“And I’m thinking.” Teto answered and served the bread and milk at the living room. The living room wasn’t grand, rather simple but comfortable and warm. “Because golds is old. Old, but very valuable.”

“How come?” Sooyeon asked while munching her French bread with two hands. Soojung (for the first time) wanted to explore the house, and Sooyeon was more than glad to let her go. It was a miracle for Sooyeon to have Soojung stayed out from her, willingly. Then again, when Soojung sets her (big round) eyes to something that caught her interest—or for this matter, a cat, then it would be a pleasure for Sooyeon to release her.

After all, cats are always harmless to Soojung, although they don’t always behaved. Otherwise they would be frozen (or strangled, in extreme cases) in mere seconds. Sooyeon was glad to see the second cat (who was named Val) was well-behaved, though its mischievousness was a bit tad too much. Sooyeon was actually impressed that Soojung even hugged the cat with affection. 

“Because it’s a treasure of five hundred years ago! Everyone knew golds currency has history in this land, Sooyeon-san.”

“History? Five hundred years ago…?” Sooyeon knew this would trigger a story, and she hoped Teto is a good story-teller.

“Yes. Five hundred years ago. More than five hundred years ago this land is in turmoil. Mages and witches ruled the land, leaving the non-magical fellows with small piece of a land. At first no one was bothered by mages and witches ruling, as they were very capable and benevolent themselves.”

“Yes…” Sooyeon smiled unconsciously. On her mind she pictured King Sooman, the King of the land. He and his brother, King Hyunsuk were very capable indeed. King Hyunsuk, or as many people called him Papa YG, was a great witch of all time while King Sooman was a mage with Seven Deadly Sins book—the greatest magic book that ever existed.

“Those two were great. Fair to the magical and to the non. But they didn’t know that the non magical humans were starting to rise in power. I’m even surprised myself when my ancestors didn’t even feel their filthy desire. At first it started on only a village… if I’m not wrong it was called Jinrui village.” Sooyeon’s breath hitched and her chest clenched painfully.

“They killed many of the dragons, magical wolves, magical lions, phoenixes, and cut off the communication devices to the other planets. It was a dark…dark days…”

Sooyeon gulped.

The non-magical human… were the cause of the chaos? Not those... witches?

“I heard they blame witch.”

“Ah, about that…” Teto shifted on her seat. “It was because justice needed to be served. Magical creatures, especially phoenix and dragons, are creatures that if you kill them the punishment will be severe. That is death.”

“But the non humans…” Sooyeon trailed off, then gasped. So that’s why!

“Predictable, I know. They blamed King Hyunsuk for the punishment they deserved. Humans are like that, blinded. We all are, actually. The humans began to use ‘witch’ term to anyone they do not like… and killed countless of falsely accused mages.”

Sooyeon gripped her bread. Her grandparents were one of the victims…

“My ancestors, who apparently are magical creatures were the only one who survived the chaos. As they were chimera and was able to transform to either normal lion, goat, snake, or even human.”

“So you’re a chimera?” Sooyeon then bluntly asked. “Forgive me, I’m too curious.”

Teto chuckled and waved it off. “Yes I am. But I don’t know why, my daughters aren’t. Soojin and Sooyoung largely inherited their father’s magic abilities… But mine? None.”

“That’s… strange.”

“Indeed it is.”

“Continue. I know the story has yet ended.”

Teto chuckled at this. “Right. But then King Sooman created a secret army and appointed General Park Jin Young and General Park Jaebum as its commander in order to quell the rebellions that rose.”

“Hm? I never heard about it…”

“Oh please let me finish.” Sooyeon nodded and continued on nibbling the sliced French bread.

“In the end King Sooman and King Hyunsuk were overthrown two hundred years later, killed at the Great War of Javaski, or Red River Great Battle as the Mainlander says, and humans raised their banner… But during the celebration at night after, General JYP and General Jay ambushed the hall, killing every humans that were responsible. In the end General JYP became the Great King after General Jay received his final order from late King Sooman before his death to rule this (East) side of Han’ei. And because the two honoured the two former Kings, golds were discarded as currency, and is replaced by jewels. Golds became national treasure, really. And every mages and witches are willing to pay a large sum of money to have some of it.”

“That is a million?”

“More than that,” Teto corrected. “Probably around a hundred million jewels for one gold.”

Sooyeon swallowed her bread. If her current currency became national treasure, could it be she travelled through times? She was quite sure she lived on 1490, when King Sooman reached half of century. Mages and witches live very long, and in fact could live until five hundred years in maximum.

“Then Teto-sshi, I have something to confess.” She said seriously, her hand reaching for another slice of bread. Soojung crawled to Teto who picked her up and passed her to Sooyeon. Sooyeon reluctantly carried her again, giving the baby her well-deserved milk of not killing Val.

“What is it?” She asked curiously.

“I’m… we… Soojung and I are mages… or you could say, we’re Dragon Slayers.”   


So it's like a short, filler chapter. 

Yesterday I had to study for placement test. Forgive me.

And please comment!