Content

The Promise

“Are you sure you have to go? You know, you could stay longer.”

Kourtney watched as Yongguk packed his clothes into a suitcase. He had a business trip to attend in California, way at the opposite end of the country.

“It’s only for a week and a half.”

Kourtney pouted. “But Mother’s day is next Sunday. I’ll be the only mother on the block to spend it alone.”

“We can celebrate together when I get back.”

Kourtney crossed her arms and puffed. Even though they weren’t official parents, Kourtney and Yongguk would celebrate Mother’s and Father’s day since they were foster parents.

“It won’t be the same. You’re supposed to celebrate the day of Mother’s day, not afterwards.”

Yongguk chuckled. “Babe, you’re being difficult. Tell you what, why don’t you do something else that day. Maybe you and my sister can spend a day at the spa, or maybe you can call up a friend.”

Kourtney winced. All her female friends had kids of their own. She tried to not let that bother her. She loved playing with their kids, but she didn’t want to hang around a bunch of real mothers on Mother’s day. Sure, she’d taken care of her foster kids, but there were experiences with children her friends had that Kourtney didn’t.

“I think I’ll just hang out with my brother or something. Hopefully, he won’t be practicing for any upcoming swim tournaments.” Kourtney mumbled.

Yongguk turned to look at her. She was so cute when she got upset. Her eyebrows were creased in the middle and her beautifully plump lips pouted. Her long, dark curly hair covered her shoulders that were currently slumped. He placed a button up shirt into the suitcase and walked over to her.

“I don’t have to be at the airport until 11:00 am tomorrow.”

“I already know that. You put it on the calendar. Did you forget? Are you getting old sir? I’m much too young to be married to an old fart.” Kourtney huffed.

Yongguk reached out and flicked her in the forehead.

Kourtney winced, but quickly returned the favor.

“Oww!” Yongguk held his forehead. “Why did you flick me so hard?” He whined.

“One, because you flicked me, and two, because you won’t be here to celebrate with me. You’re going to go have fun in California and leave your poor wife here in New Jersey all alone.”

“C’mon babe, be realistic. New Jersey has way too many people for you to be all alone.”

Kourtney tsked at his response and pouted even more.

Yongguk went to hug her, but she moved away.

“Did you just deny me a hug?”

As if to respond, Kourtney moved further into the middle of the bed and away from her husband.

“You’ll regret that.”

He jumped onto the bed and grabbed for her. Kourtney bounced out of his grasp and grabbed a pillow. She hit him on the arm with it before running towards the bedroom door. Yongguk was hot on her trail, holding a pillow of his own. He chased her down the stairs and into the kitchen, occasionally whacking her bum with the pillow. They now stood on either side of the kitchen island waiting for the other to make the first move.

“Gukkie let me pass.”

“Not until I repay you for flicking me so hard in the head and denying my hug.” He stuck his tongue out at her.

“Stop being such a baby. You could take it.” Kourtney grabbed a wad of napkins and threw it at him.

“That’s it! You’re in so much trouble now.” He growled.

Yongguk quickly came around the counter causing Kourtney to squeal. She ran into the living room, but Yongguk was too fast. He caught her and gently tackled her to the carpet. Kourtney let out a round of laughter while trying to push him off of her.

“Get off me!” She said between giggles.

Yongguk, who was also laughing, only leaned further into her, making sure she felt all of his weight.

“Stop you’re going to squish me.” Kourtney complained.

“That’s what I intend to do.” He grabbed a pillow from the couch and sat up to gently plop it on her face. He quickly laid back down, and laid his head on the newly placed pillow.

“Mmmm such a comfy bed. I think I could fall asleep right here.” He let out a yawn and snuggled into his “bed”.

Kourtney continued to laugh and tried to wiggle out from under him.

“I can’t breathe you Do Do bird!”

“What’s that? Are you willing to apologize for what you did?”

“Never!”

“You know, suddenly I’m feeling extremely exhausted. I think I’ll nap right here.” He rested his head deeper into the pillow, pressing it further into her face.

“Okay, okay I’m sorry”, came a muffled apology.

“I’m sorry ma’am I can’t hear you. You seem to have something over your face.”

“I said ‘I’m sorry’”. Her apology was louder but still muffled.

“Hang on, let me move this.” Yongguk lifted the pillow and sat up, straddling her hips.

“Go ahead.”

“I said ‘you’re a Do Do bird.’” Kourtney laughed as Yongguk began tickling her.

“You just don’t give up, do you, babe?”

Kourtney could only respond in giggles and gasps.

“Stoppp, I can’t breathe.” She said.

Yongguk stopped and laid his hands flat on her waist as he leaned down to peck her lips.

“You’re so cute when you’re happy. I love hearing you laugh.”

Kourtney knew what he meant. She had been so sad and miserable in the months that followed her miscarriage. She rarely smiled, let alone laughed. She spent all her time crying and frowning. She also was happy that she could finally smile.

“I like seeing you smile and laugh too.” She whispered.

Yongguk leaned down and gave her another kiss. This time she wrapped her arms around his neck and brought him closer. He relaxed into her embrace and deepened the kiss. Kourtney sighed in content as Yongguk’s hands slid down her waist and settled onto her hips. She heard a low growl rise from his throat when she softly bit his bottom lip. She loved the way he responded to her.

Yongguk broke the kiss and gazed into her eyes. “Let’s celebrate tonight, okay?”

Kourtney smiled before nodding in approval. “Okay.”

Yongguk moved off of her and then bent to pick her up. He carried her to their bedroom bridal style and gently placed her onto the bed. He removed his shirt before turning off the nearby lamp. Only the moon shone light into the room. It shone across Kourtney’s hazel skin while also streaking across Yongguk’s chest. Each were mesmerized by the other.

Yongguk moved slowly towards her and Kourtney accepted him with open arms.

That night, she thought of all the wonderful blessings she had been given. She had a loving husband who stuck with her no matter what. She had fostered four beautiful children that filled her home with laughter during their stay. She had a great job, a lovely home, and the King of the Universe as her friend. Even if she never got her baby, Kourtney decided that she would be content. Sure she had hardships and dark days, but when she took a good look around her, she couldn’t help but be thankful for the wonderful life she had been given.