Epilogue

The Promise

“Why are you being so mean?” Yongguk huffed.

“I’m not being mean. I’m just stating facts.” Kourtney retorted.

“How is it a proven fact that he’ll end up an athletic swimmer like his uncle and not a musician like her father?”

“Did you feel the way he used to move around when he was in my stomach? I’m telling you, the kid has legs like a swimmer. He’s going to make it to the Olympics someday. I can feel it!”

“Oly-impics!” came a tiny voice from below the quarreling parents.

Yongguk and Kourtney turned simultaneously to their 2-year old son, who sat happily on the carpet surrounded by his toys.

Kourtney stretched out her arms towards him and cooed as her son walked towards her. “That’s right my little pumpkin. You’re going to be in the Olympics!”

Yongguk frowned and scooped up their son before he could reach Kourtney. “No, no. Say musician. You want to be an artist like your Daddy, right Aden?”

Aden placed his hand on his father’s cheek and blew raspberries before releasing a round of giggles. Yongguk’s frown deepened as he wiped spit from his face. Kourtney couldn’t help but to laugh at the picture before her.

“It’s official! He will be an athlete!” Kourtney got up from where she was sitting and went to where Yongguk stood. She tickled her son’s stomach and kissed his nose.

Yongguk looked thoughtfully at his son. “Well, I guess it would be pretty cool to have an Olympic gold medalist in our family. Okay, you can be an athlete, Aden. But, your little sister will be a musician then.”

Yongguk directed his attention to Kourtney’s swollen belly with his last statement. Kourtney rested her hands on her stomach as she nodded. “Deal! She can be the musician!”

Aden, who was still in Yongguk’s arms, leaned over towards his Mom’s belly. Yongguk adjusted to allow for him to be able to touch Kourtney’s stomach. He spread his little hands and then leaned his head down towards his baby sister and said, “Music sister, music!” Yongguk and Kourtney laughed and reveled in the joy of their young family.

***********************