The Date

I didn't see that coming

I still remember when I furiously said no for my parents plan. A blind date? Really? I mean, I’m still capable to find a girlfriend, they don’t need to help me.

Pfft... Like I need their assistance.

I’m Amber f’kin Liu for God sake. Girls practically throw themselves for me. Literally. Like yesterday, when i was at the club, some girl used me as her pole while she danced, and the other girl grab and put my hands on her chest. That stuff is common for me. I’m not surprise anymore about how crazy a girl can be.

-Flashback-

“Stop playin around, get serious, and settled down Amber...”

 “When you coming out to us, we accept you for who you are, we love you as the same.  We hope you responsible with the choices you made in your life, not like this, you sleep around with a random girl you barely remember, you party at the club nearly everyday, this is not what I’m expecting from you” my father said with a super serious expression. I’ve never see him so deadly serious right now. My dad always the fun one between my parents. I love my mom dearly but when it comes about fun, i always go to my dad.

But now, he’s not the fun one. “Thank God, your crazy antics didn’t make your job performance down, if not, you’re not one of the director now, i will kick you down and make you a regular staff.” I cringe at the thought. I don’t want to go back as regular staff. I earn my position fair and square, because I work hard, not because Im the owner’s daughter.

“Amber...” this time my Mom get to speak, “seeing your preferences in girls are... “

My mom really takes her time to explain herself. “Let say, as parents, we are not really fond with all the girls you ever brought home.” I want to say something to protest but my mom lifted her index finger, signaling me to shut my mouth as she continue, “We give you an offer...”

I lift my eyebrow, curious about their preposition, “You remember Uncle Jung? Your father’s colleague who lives in US?” I just nod, “They’re back here in korea as they open their branch office here.” I kinda have a bad feeling about where is this going.

“He have a daughter...-”

“No” I said as I cut my Mom

“Im not finished Amber. Listen to me, just go meet her, just hang out, be friendly to her, and if you two get along well, then you can go on a couple dates, and hopefully things get serious from there. Just... just try okay, she is a fine young lady, well manner...”

“Mom, you dont even know her”

“I know her very well Amber, we know her” My mom gesture between she and dad, my father nods at this confirmation, “Everytime we go to California, we stay at uncle Jung’s place. That’s how we know her.”

“Is she even gay?” i ask curiosly

“She’s dating both guys and girls before” my dad explain, “we talk to uncle jung about this, and he’s okay with it, he’s excited actually.”

“Is... she okay with it?”

My mom chukled quietly, “Oh Amber... we’re not asking you to marry her right away, not that I mind” I roll my eyes at this, “we just want to both of you to get to know each other first.”

-End of flashback-

                And here I am, at the super fancy cafe, waiting for this girl, i dont even know her name, my parents didn’t mention it, and i forgot to ask. I check my watch, Im early, but only by five minutes, she sould be here any minutes from now.

Why am I nervous? Pfft... Amber Liu didnt do nervous. I check my reflection at the mirror beside me, im looking good, my mom specially pick my suit for today, killer suit as she said, her words not mine.

                “Excuse me...” I turn around at the sound and meet with a pair doe but sharp eyes twinkling in curiosity. In front of me standing a very attractive, very beautiful girl, with a delicate skin, and kissable lips. Did i really said kissable? “Im sorry im late, i didn’t get a place to park my car, so...” she shrug as she finish explaining. Even her hand looks yummy. Yummy? Really Amber? Oh.. she offer her hand for hand shake.

I vaguely shake my head to get my self together. I rise from my chair and take her hand and shake it gently. “I’m Krystal”, her name suits her well.

“Amber” i reply try to sound and look cool but fail, because my voice squeak a bit. I pull the chair out for her, im still a gentlewoman after all, that’s my charm. She sits and say thank you.

Silence.

Krystal not saying anything more, her eyes fix on the table not meeting mine, i can tell she is a shy one. A faint smile still on her lips, i wonder what is she thinking. A shy girl like this usually wild in bed, and she probabl-...

Whoa... Whoa... Stop. What the hell?! Bad Brais! Dirty Brains! Stop thinking like that. I see her lips moving... Oh she’s talking. God damn it Amber, focus!

“What did you say?”

She rolls her eyes playfully, “I said, are you okay? Because you kinda just stare at me, did i have something on my face?”

I really want to take this opportunity to say she have something on her face just to touch her cheek, because her cheeks looks so soft and pinch-able.

“No, you don’t. I just stare because you’re really pretty, and i didnt see that coming.” I try to get my actions back, I’m Amber ‘the--dropper’ liu afterall.

“Thank... you?” she looks confuse with my explaination.

“My Mom said i will meet with a fine young lady, but she forgot to mention that you’re really beautiful.”

“Wow” Krystal chukle, “My dad kind of warn me about you”

“Warn you?”

She nodded, “he said you’re a charmer, and a sweet talker, and... you have a reputation with girls, you’re a player.”

“You just heard about me, but you don’t know me”

“Then tell me thats not true” she challenge me

“Well...” i try to defend myself, but i couldn’t deny it, that’s true, and somehow i kinda proud of it. “...I’m likeable.”

She laugh, and i like her laugh, its melodic, damn it Amber! Get it together! You’re not supposed to like her this easily.

“I’m sorry Amber, but i really get to go”

“What? It’s not even 10 minutes, am I bored you?”

She lifted her eyebrow, “No, i just have plan with my friends, my dad just informed me this morning about when and where to meet you, and i can’t bail on my friends either.” She handed me a card, her name card. “There is my mobile and my office number, i kinda looking forward to hear from you” she said with a wink. I think my brain just stop working after see that wink.

I read her name card, oh she’s a interior designer. Interesting. “Let me walk you to your car” i said, she nodded. It’s the least i can do after this short meeting. I throw some cash on our table and her out.

We stop in front of her car, well this is awkward, i never saying goodbye to girls. Usually i crash at their place, spending the night together, and i sneak out before they’re wake up. But this time i’m holding myself.

I open the door for her, and she smile at me. She kiss my cheek as a goodbye and enter her car.

Here I am, in the middle of parking lot, under the very bright and hot sun, dumbfounded, i feel giddy, and nervous, and excited at the same time, while watching her car go.

Krystal Jung will be the death of me.