Chapter 7: Coming of Age Ceremony

THE JJANG

They meet again after college entrance exam at they camp, they couldn’t meet up since a week ago because all of them busy for preparing college entrance exam,

So, do you think you’ll pass the exam?, I have failed in private exam, so I hope it’ll work for me,” Changsub asked to the other while giving them beverage, “that exam really make me crazy. You must be really having a lot of time, why you still went to the exam when you already pass the private exam of an art college?, are you really happy to finished the task?,” he asked to Sungjae then drink his beverage.

Because my parent want me to come, so I came. The good thing is…today we finished the exam, for that matter we’ll talk later,” Sungjae said then drink his beverage, not long after that a girl come,

Annyeong,” she said, she come by herself, without Seulgi, “are you looking for her?, after exam her father come and went somewhere, because I don’t want to broke the picture that I rarely see, I let her go with her dad. She said she’ll come if her dad giving permission,” she said then sit down next to Chnagsub, “I want that too,” she said while pointing at the beverage that Changsub drink, Changsub give it to her, “yah, it’s yours, why you give me your beverage?.”

Am I that dirty?,” he asked her angrily, “or, you will be shy because we’ll have indirect kiss?,” he teasing her, after heard that word, ‘kiss’, Sungjae suddenly having hiccup, Sooyoung looking at him then smiling,

Because I know that you have a mouth that couldn’t stop talking, so I’m afraid if I drink beverage from the same can as you..I’ll became more noisy from before,” she said then standing to take the beverage from a mini refrigerator, Changsub looking mad,

I heard you already pass the private exam of a film college, is that right?,” Hyunsik asked.

Hmm..my dad want me to at least come to the college entrance exam today, so I came.”

You can relax now that all of you have back up, but me, you know…I have to keep working hard on this kind of exam, after this if I didn’t pass this exam I’ll join another exam next year, you know,” Changsub suddenly get angry.

Sorry, if it’s hurt you..we won’t talking about that again,” Hyunsik said.

*

Two months after college entrance exam’s announcement :

Sungjae and Changsub fortunately accepted in a college that they want, although the major is not really their type. Sungjae accepted in law majors while Changsub in Korean literature major, now they are studying there. While Sooyoung who didn’t get accepted in that exam choosed the film college that accepted her before. Hyunsik’s future as bright as the star, he get accepted without test in musical major while the nerd Seulgi get accepeted in one of prestigious university in Korea in business major. Today, they agreed to meet at their camp because there is something they want to celebrate, an coming of age…they are now an adult…

So, what kind of celebration that you want?,” Sooyoung asked Changsub who had idea to celebrate this day.

Next week, there is coming of age ceremony. Is there one of us who attend the ceremony in the tample?,” he asked, yeah there is that kind of tradision in the country, Hyunsik rise his hand and then Sungjae,

Both of you?, ah..you have family who really care for you,” Sooyoung said that sarcastically.

Yah…I have that kind of family too,” Changsub said, “but they want me to just having fun with my friend,” he said, “so, after that ceremony you must come here to give your gift,” he said then take out the papers roll from his bag, “choose this paper roll, the name that written in this paper roll will be the person who will receive your gift,” he said.

What kind of gift?,” Seulgi asked.

Rose, perfume, and kiss,” someone who just enter the room said, she is Hyunjin who delivered the foods that they ordered before.

Yah..,” Hyunsik scream to his only sister, “what are you talking about, get out.”

Can I join?, I want to give my gift too,” she said.

Just give it to your oppa,” Sungjae said.

I want to give it to my oppa’s friend though, okay..I won’t join it then, I’ll give it to him directly,” she said then leave the room.

What was she talking about?, so what kind of gift?,” Hyunsik asked.

As you want, you can give the person just roses, or perfume, or kiss, just the one of those three. If you want to give all of those three, it’s okay,” he said then smile, “take it, your paper,” he said than all of them take the paper, “just save it for yourself, don’t let the other know. We’ll meet again next week, okay?,” all of them agreed.

On the d-day, the first one who come is Sooyoung, when Hyunjin saw her, she run to her and giving her a gift,

Is it my gift?,” she asked, Hyunjin shaking her head, “then why you give it to me..?”

I want to give it to Sungjae oppa,” she said, “after that day, knowing that he come to the party as your boyfriend, I’m still angry to you because unnie didn’t say anything about that to me. But because unnie is the only person who know about my feeling. So I won’t angry again to you, there wasn’t something change after that day, right?,” she asked.

Something?, like what?,” she asked.

Your feeling?, you still considering him as friend, right?,” she want her confirmation, after long pause, Sooyoung finally answer with smile,

There isn’t, I’m still considering him as a friend. Okay..I’ll give it to him, then I’ll just say it’s from you, right?,” she take the gift from her.

Don’t do that, just give it to him and say it from his fan, give it to him when the other isn’t around,” she said.

Isn’t he’ll know someday, why you keep hiding it?.”

Because I know that he only see me as a dongsaeng..I want to take it slow unnie so it won’t be bother him too much. He’ll know who is the one who give this after open the gift,” she said then smile, Sooyoung smiling while nodding.

The other come not long after that, Sooyoung put Hyejin’s gift in her bag,

Where is your gift?,” Changsub asked, then she take out a medium box from her paper bag, “what is that?,” he asked,

The one who’ll know it just the one who received this gift,” she said.

All of us will know it after this. Okay, we’ll start it..,” Changsub said, “I’ll start,” he said then give it to Seulgi, “for you, I choosed the best perfume,” he said, Seulgi open the box and smile,

A perfume with rose fragrance, okay..thank you,” she said,

You didn’t give the other thing?,” Sooyoung asked, she teasing Seulgi.

Should I give it now, Seulgi-yah?,” Changsub join the teasing, Seulgi’s face getting red,

Stop it, her face burning,” Sungjae said while fanning her, then Changsub take back the box and kiss it, and said

I’ll give kiss to the box that I give it to you.”

Now me, yah..Hyunsik-ah..,” she said then give a bouquet of roses and perfume,

Ah…when I saw it I have a bad feeling that it was for me, isn’t it to much, just give me a rose,” he protested but still take his gift, “anywhy, thank you…”

You are welcome, I bring a cake too, Hyunjin will bring it here,” she said, the other smile.

Then now, me..,” he said then give his gift to Sooyoung, “It’s really special gift..,” Sooyoung smile and open her gift,

Thank you,” she take out a shirt with a printed red lips, “is it your lips?,” she asked, “isn’t it a girl’s lips?,” she asked again.

Aii…just accepeted it without complaining,” he said then drink his water.

Okay. The other is..perfume and a red rose, ” then she smile, “then, I’ll give it to you,” she give her gift to Sungjae, don’t know why Sungjae nervously take the gift and open it,

What is this?,” he said while taking out a white paper from the box,

That’s my lips, with red lipstick. There is fragrance, a rose fragrance.”

That’s it?, if it’s just that, why the box is that big?,” Changsub said, he look dumbfounded with her gift.

Hmm, why?, you want something else?, you said that we did it for fun, right?,” she said then smile, “why?, if you don’t want it I’ll take it back,” but then Sungjae put back the paper in to the box and close it before Sooyoung take it, “so, you want it, okay.”

Wah..you don’t want to waste your money to buy gift?,” Changsub asked that make him earned a hit from Sooyoung,

Aii..what’s wrong with you guys, I’m not that bad,” she said then take out something from her paper bag, she put the black hat with Sungjae’s initial name on the table, “that just a symbol, that we celebrating coming of age day, this is my real gift,” she said then smiling playfully.

Aii..your personality…really amazed me,” Hyunsik said.

Let’s say it’s a charm then,” she said then drink her beverage.

Sungjae-yah, where is mine?,” Changsub asked while clapping his hands, Sungjae give him a small box, when he open it he smile, “you said to me that you want it,” he said, he give him necktie with a nice fragrance, “let’s became a good adult,” he said.

Wah..I’ll wear it well,” Changsub said then he lift his glass, the other follow him, “yeahh..,” he screaming like that then someone enter the room while bringing the cake…

I can join, right?,” she asked, “I have gift for all of you,” she said then giving them an USB

What is this,” Seulgi who is the one who received it asked,

Hmm..a movie, a movie. I heard that is all adults wish when they are 20 year old,” she said then smiling,

Yah…you download it?, by yourself?,” Sungjae asked.

Hmm..I asked someone to download it,” she answered then the other looking at Hyunsik,

Why?, it’s not me, I’m also surprised that she have that kind of movie,” he explained, “yah..from who you learned this kind of thing,” he asked.

I still remember it,” she said, “you said to me last year that you want to watch that kind of movie when you are 20 years old, and you said all of adults are like that,” she explained.

Aish..you are the one who told her that kind of information, why scolded her when you are the one who made her download that kind of movie and give it to us as a gift for coming of age,” Changsub look mad.

Why are you angry?. Don’t be too naïve, you want to watch it too, right?,” Sooyoung said, “thank you, Hyunjin-ah, they will watch it well,” she said then all of eyes are on her, “don’t give me that kind of look.”

As Hyunjin leave the room, Seulgi throwing the pillow to Sooyoung and the boys hitting Hyunsik non stop,

I didn’t do anything,” Hyunsik said.

Stop it..stop it. Let’s eat now, and watch it after that,” Sooyoung said, then Seulgi hit her hard, “why?, yah, lets be honest…all of you want to watch it, right?,” after said that, Changsub close with piece of cake,

Just eat, that mouth, auwhh…”

They were there for 2 hours, then go home separately. Sooyoung texted Sungjae where is he, then they meet at a park near the karaoke,

Why?,” he asked as he sit, but they are too far away.

Aii…did you still nervous around me, because of that kiss?, sit little closer, it’s like we are an enemy,” she said, “I want to give you something from your fan,” she said while put a box next to her so he can see that.

Who is that fan?, I’m not even an idol, why fan..,” he said while walking closer to her, “what is this?,” he asked and pick the box,

Open it when you are home,” she said while stoping him to open the box,

Why?, could it be…you?,” he asked.

I’m your fan?, just in your dream,” she said, “so, that feeling that you told me last time, is that still the same?, or disappear, there is no trace,” she suddenly asked about that.

Why?, if that feeling still there, what do you want me to do?,” he asked her back.

If it’s still there, then is there any other reason than that kiss?,” she asked.

Why are you so curious about that?, do you have that kind of feeling to me?,” he asked such a dare question. They silent for minutes then she said,

I’ll go home now,” she said that without answer his question.

Take this before you go home,” he give her something, “now, that we are an adult, let’s be honest about our feeling, don’t try to hide it, ” he said, “thank you for your gift, strangely, I like your gift,” he said then leave her with smile, she smile while turning to look at his back,

Why I always seeking for the reasons?, why I always demanded him to tell me the reason, when I don’t even have one,” she said.