FINAL

Back To December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Happy endings. Why people like them so much? Fairy tales are at fault for making humans believe something magical exists. This world is full of pretensions. This world is full of lies. Never trust someone when he said you mean the world to him because he doesn’t mean that.

 

Don’t indulge yourselves in such things. You might ended up getting hurt in the process.

 

“Just like what happened to me…”

 

 

 

 

 

I'm so glad you made time to see me
How's life? Tell me, how's your family?
I haven't seen them in a while

 

 

“Excuse me…anybody here?”

 

“Unnie!!!” an excited squeaky voice can be hear from afar. Dara smiles at the glowing woman she hasn’t seen for ages.

 

“Pudong-ah! How’s my Wifey? I miss you so much!”

 

The woman immediately runs and gives Dara a warm hug. “I miss you too Unnie! I’m glad you made it to my big day!” Chaerin squishes her visitor, not minding the beautiful white gown she’s wearing.

 

“Yah! Let me go… You’re ruining your hair!” Dara laughs as she pat the woman’s back. “I am here, I won’t go anywhere so stop being emotional and messes your make-up as well. Your groom might change his mind and run away in the ceremony before your eyes!”

 

“Jiyong won’t do that! He loves me to death, you know!” Chaerin laughs along with her.

 

“You need my help for your preparation? What time will the wedding starts?” Dara carefully fixes the hem of Chaerin’s gown.

 

“10:30 AM Unnie… Aigooo! I’m so nervous! I can’t believe this day finally comes!”

 

“I’m so happy for you Wifey… You finally found your happiness.” Dara sighs, “How I wish, one day, I can find mine too…”

 

Chaerin smiles at her. “I know you will…trust me, Unnie.”

 

 

 

You've been good, busier than ever
We small talk, work and the weather
Your guard is up, and I know why

 

 

 

Dara sits on the chair allotted for her and patiently waits for the start of the ceremony. Time flies so fast, as what she thought. Six years ago, she could’ve swore it’ll be her wedding instead of the awkward and boyish Lee Chaerin with that cold-blooded geek Kwon Jiyong. Chaerin is her best friend since their hula-hoop days while they only met Jiyong thru the man who used to be around her all the time…

 

…Dong Youngbae. The guy who used to devote his world for her.

 

As if on cue, a man wearing a business suit along with a beautiful woman enter the hall and occupies those seats behind her. Their glances meet and just like she predicted, he frostily looks away and gently guided the woman beside him. Dara’s heart aches because of the unforgotten pain that keeps on hiding in her system. She diverts her gaze on the altar and tries to keep her mind focus even though all she wanted right now is to disappear.

 

‘Long time no see…’ she almost murmurs as her mind wanders to the bittersweet memories of yesterday…

 

 

 

Because the last time you saw me
Is still burned in the back of your mind
You gave me roses, and I left them there to die

 

 

“Love, please talk to me…” Youngbae bangs the front door of her apartment.

 

“Go away Bae! They were right, I am not good for you! I am not the marrying type! I cannot give you a child just like how you wanted to! I just can’t be the perfect wife for you!” Dara yells on the other side. Her heart keeps on breaking whenever she remembers what his grandmother told her...that she was not the ideal woman she viewed her precious grandson to tie a knot with. The old woman doesn’t even know her real condition but she already disapprove her relationship with Youngbae. ‘It’s painful as heck but somehow, she’s right…between the two of us, I know Youngbae deserves more.’

 

‘He deserves to have the child I can’t bear for him…’ Dara knows that Youngbae thinks she was just kidding when she told him that they can’t have a baby together. He even laugh at her telling that she’s too conscious with her figure and that she’ll always be y for him. Too bad that’s not the case…

 

“I don’t understand! Let me in please! Tell me who are they you’re talking about!? Don’t shoo me like this…” he desperately calls.

 

Dara opens the door, fast enough to make the man stumbles forward. “Fine…we’ll talk… but after this you’ll go.”

 

“Love…” his voice is filled with pain.

 

“I am not the right woman for you Youngbae. I have so many things in my hand and holding yours is impossible for me now. I have a long way to go in my career and I just can’t keep you at bay when I know you wanted to build a family…because having a child is the last thing on my list.” She lied. ‘Tsk! Ironic…how can I give something I don’t have anyway?’

 

“But I am not asking you to give me one…” he reasons out, though his own voice is full of doubt.

 

‘Really? Do you really mean that? What a liar…’ Dara bitterly smirks. Youngbae tries to hold her hand but she pushes him away.

 

“Maybe you can say that now… Then what? When you changes your mind and decided that you wanted to be a father, what are we going to do? Are we going to blame each other in the future because of the selfish decision we wanted to take now? You wanted things which is different from what I wanted!” she yells back in frustration.

 

“Love please…Dara…I can’t live without you…” his eyes begin to water as he slowly breaks down in front of her. “I’m fine to live in the way you wanted…just please…don’t leave me…”

 

Her walls almost crumble on the ground just by looking at him in this state but whenever she reminds herself that she’s doing it for him, her resolve remains firm. “I have said what I wanted to say…it’s up to you now how to take it in.”

 

“Dara-yah…don’t be like this…”

 

“Just leave…and don’t bother to comeback.”

 

 

So this is me swallowing my pride
Standing in front of you, saying I'm sorry for that night
And I go back to December all the time

 

 

“Sweetheart, do you think we can have a wedding like this?” the woman, whom she knows by the famous actress’s name, Min Hyorin, asks Youngbae…or more popularly known now as the singer Taeyang…snapping Dara out of her thought.  

 

“Of course…anyhow you wanted it to be…” he sweetly replies before kissing her forehead.

 

“Great~ I wanted a beach wedding Sweetheart! I already imagine myself in a perfect wedding dress!” Hyorin giggles at him as he can only smiles back.

 

‘But you always wanted a church wedding…’ her heart protests when the man she used to dream the future with can only give in to his lover’s request.

 

The masters of the ceremony announces something as the sponsors began walking. She can see the excited Groom being escorted happily by his parents followed by their relatives and close friends. At the end of the line, Chaerin elegantly walks towards the aisle with her loving parents around her. Dara can feel the romance in the atmosphere but nothing can conceal the pain of regret as she can only picture herself in the shoes of her best friend.

 

‘What if…I chose to be happy instead of the right thing to do? Will I still feel this bugging emotion inside me now?’

 

Chaerin reaches the side of her groom and the Priest officially starts the wedding.

 

“Today, we are gathered here to witness the union of Kwon Jiyong and Lee Chaerin in holy matrimony, which is an honorable estate, that is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently and soberly.”

 

He keeps on saying things Dara can’t even comprehend because the moment her eyes wander …she found him glaring at her.

 

Unfortunately, neither of them can break the eye contact that lasted too long.

 

 

 

It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine
I go back to December, turn around and make it alright
I go back to December all the time

 

 

“Kiss! Kiss!” people around the reception area keeps on cheering as the newlywed couple happily oblige to their request.

 

“Alright! What a romantic treat from our couple!” the MC claps and announces a surprise performance of the country’s most popular singer. “Now it’s time for the groom’s best friend to share a beautiful song for everyone. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome… our country’s pride, Taeyang!”

 

A round of applause ensues as the man graces the stage.

 

Youngbae started singing his cover of John Legend’s All of Me, serenading everyone in the hall. Dara’s heart flutters because she can still remember the bliss whenever he sing this song for her. The guests, however, started on teasing Hyorin on the other hand about the celebrity couple’s future plans which the actress can only address with a proud smile.

 

 

 

These days, I haven't been sleeping
Staying up, playing back myself leaving
When your birthday passed, and I didn't call

 

 

 

The song ended and everyone applauses for his talent but no one can beat Hyorin’s reaction when she stands up and hugs him in front of the crowd. Whistles and teasing can be heard all over as the guests can only enjoy the public display of affection.

 

“Seems like my top artist wants to follow my path earlier than planned!” Jiyong joins them, earning a hard nudge from his wife. “Ouch…” he pouted at her

 

“Shut up Oppa…Dara Unnie is here…” Chaerin knows that her friend is still affected with all the unintentional jostling but she can’t do anything about it.

 

Jiyong grimaces upon realizing his mistake and mutters a meek apology. Too bad his statement only allows the intriguing crowd to probe further.

 

Unbeknownst to the multitude apart from the newest husband and wife, someone’s heart is bleeding so badly.

 

‘If only I can disappear now…’ she holds the tears in when she saw him hugging Hyorin too…

 

 

…while intently staring back at her.

 

 

 

Then I think about summer, all the beautiful times
I watched you laughing from the passenger side
And realized I loved you in the fall

 

 

 

“Love, do you see that area?” Youngbae cheekily pinpoints the vacant lot nearby as he parks the car in front. “That was your dream spot where you wanted your house to be built, right?”

 

“Yeah… what about it?” Dara nods at her boyfriend before wishing secretly that he’ll tell her that he bought it for her.

 

“That’s not ours…” he stupidly laughs at her puzzled yet disappointed reaction.

 

“Yah!” she hit his toned arm.

 

He grabs her hand and encloses her in a warm hug. “But I promise you…when I finally become a singer and debut successfully, I will buy it for you…no matter how much it will costs me.”

 

Dara muffles the grin that almost appear in . Instead, “As you say so…”

 

“I love you Sandara Park…” and he kisses her forehead.

 

“I love you too…Dong Youngbae.”

 

 

 

And then the cold came, the dark days
When fear crept into my mind
You gave me all your love, and all I gave you was goodbye

 

 

“I’m sorry Miss Park but we can’t accommodate you anymore. The Director declined your previous audition and decided to cancel the part you’re supposed to play in. He also informed us that Miss Min Hyorin doesn’t like working with fresh faces. Sorry…” the staff of an entertainment company informs Dara who’s there to inquire about the shooting. Being an amateur actress, she needed to venture on her own because no entertainment agencies accept her yet. Thus, she have to manage her own career by finding a possible mini roles on those low-budget daily dramas. However…

 

“Is that so?” she sighs, “J...Just call me if you need someone over, okay? Or maybe, if you suddenly got short with extras? Don’t worry I am not picky! I’ll be available anytime…” she promises before dejectedly walking back to her boyfriend’s car.

 

“Hey, what happened?” Youngbae immediately tends upon see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter