better off without you

the moon and the one who holds stars in his eyes
better off without you

Joshua never liked alcohol, smoke nor the loud music but ironically, he works as a bartender in a bar owned by one of his friends, Choi Seungcheol. He cannot complain of course since it’s the only part-time job that he can probably get that won’t interfere with his schedule in college, besides, Seungcheol is nice enough to give him day-offs when exams are approaching. Sometimes, he wonders why Seungcheol is so kind to him and very lax with his working hours. Joshua decided it would do him no good to dwell upon such things. Seungcheol is just kind, that’s all.

 

Wiping some of the glasses in his station, he sighed for the first time that night. He had a lot of flirty customers (be it a female or male) who were trying to get into his pants (which is no longer new to him) which he promptly rejected. Sure, most of them were attractive but Joshua’s simply not interested.

 

He recalled that one guy with a toothy grin who’s really awkward even if he was trying to be smooth, Joshua thought he looked like a puppy who’s wagging its tail but fortunately (in Joshua’s case), the guy’s older friend nudged him and told him that he won’t get anywhere with that horrible flirting. Joshua knows the older guy’s name because he once tried to ask Joshua out on a date a long time ago.

 

“Thanks Wonwoo.”

 

“No problem, he just had too much alcohol” he held the younger’s arm (Joshua figured) “let’s go Mingyu, you’re drunk”

 

“Will you be able to manage by yourselves?” Joshua worriedly asked

 

The raven-haired man shot him a reassuring smile, “yes, and I’ll make sure he won’t bother you anymore.”

 

“Umm that’s fine, he’s drunk anyways.”

 

Wonwoo looked at him for a few seconds, thinking of something that Joshua would never understand unless he asks. Wonwoo chuckled to himself, Joshua didn't bother.

 

“Guess we’re off then. Bye.” With that, Wonwoo left with Mingyu in tow. The giant puppy was whining, saying that he’s not that drunk but it only took one glare from the older to shut him up in an instant.

 

Joshua smiled at the memory, they were the only customers who didn’t get (much) on his nerves despite the flirting. Mingyu looked cute, yes, but Joshua wasn’t attracted in that kind of way.

 

Checking his wristwatch, Joshua figured that it’s time for him to clean up since it’s almost closing time but he soon stopped his movements when he noticed that one of his customers is still there. Well, he’s now Joshua’s sole customer since he’s the only one left sitting on one of the stools. Joshua sighed again. He knew that this kind of customer will be hard to deal with especially if you’re planning to cut off his drinking session.

 

“Ummm… excuse me, sir, but it’s almost closing time so may we kindly ask you to leave the premises?”

 

The customer with blonde hair continued to swirl his drink in his hand, as if he didn’t hear what Joshua said, obviously lost in his own thoughts.

 

“Excuse me, sir?” Joshua emphasized the last word to get his attention, he even tapped the customer’s shoulder just to make sure he’ll pay attention to him already.

 

Thankfully, he did. The blonde looked up and their eyes met. Joshua felt electrified when his gaze fell upon him. Joshua no longer cared if he was gaping or not.

 

He’s stunningly gorgeous.

 

Joshua felt tongue tied. He lost his ability to speak. Sure, he was the one who gave him his order but Joshua wasn’t paying attention earlier because he was far too busy, but now that he got a proper look at the customer, he suddenly felt like melting.

 

He’s really gorgeous.

 

Joshua can only think of a few adjectives to describe the man in front of him. Perfect, handsome, and gorgeous. (He repeated these words like a mantra)

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Joshua was brought out if his silent stupor when the man spoke, “good heavens, his voice is such a beautiful sound too”

 

“Sorry, what?”

 

“I’m sorry. Please forgive me. Don’t leave me.”

 

Wait what? What is he saying?

 

Only then it hit him that this guy is probably drunk and he’s talking to someone else. And the way he’s talking probably means he just went through a breakup.

 

Who in their right minds would let go of someone like him? I mean, come on! This guy is drop-dead gorgeous! (Unless he’s a psycho or something)

 

Joshua looked at him once again, well, he seems like a nice guy, so why?

 

“I know I’m not in the right place to ask this but, what happened?” Joshua is not a nosy person but he can’t help but ask.

 

“My lover left me.”

 

“Why?” Joshua felt sorry for him

 

“That’s my question too because I honestly don’t know. Just said that I was not good enough and that *coughs* better off without me.”

 

Joshua didn’t get the pronoun so he’s not sure whether it’s a girlfriend or boyfriend. Joshua secretly hopes it’s the latter.

 

“That’s terrible.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Well, you’re better off without that person, I guess. You deserve someone better, sir…?”

 

“Jun” the blonde provided “call me Jun,” he squinted to get a good look at Joshua’s name tag “Joshua.”

 

“Jun. Yes. You deserve someone better, Jun.” Joshua smiled “No offense by the way.” (Just in case he still loves that person)

 

“None taken. Thanks.”

 

“By the way, maybe I should help you get a cab then?”

 

“Yes. Yes, please. I’d appreciate that. Thank you, Joshua.”

 

“You’re welcome, Jun.”

 

When Joshua was able to help Jun get into a cab, he watched the cab drive off into the distance until Joshua can no longer see the taillights. He looked down at the calling card that was given to him by Jun.

 

“Yes. See you next time too.” Joshua muttered to himself quietly, smiling at the thought that he’ll get to see him again.

 

- F I N -

A/N: Trying to write the prompts that were given to me. 😅 Here’s a short one just to quench my (our) thirst for JunShua.

 

PS. I miss their Aju Nice hair colors ;; I will never get over that era.

 
+ + +
Prompt: "I'm a bartender and I have to cut you off a certain amount because you're drinking to forget your ex and I end up calling you a cab" au