love you better

the moon and the one who holds stars in his eyes
love you better

“What’s up?” Flicking the lighter open, he lit the cigarette in between his lips, taking a long drag before puffing out the smoke. He hummed to himself as if he heard his reply.

 

Junhui looked down at the name engraved on the gravestone.

 

Xu Minghao

 

“I can’t believe you left me like that though, what kind of a brother are you? You promised you’d come back home.”

 

Taking in one last drag, he threw the cigarette on the ground, stepping and crushing it under the sole of his shoes.  

“I need to go now. See you next time.”

 

Giving one last glance, he turned and took his leave. Looking at the ground and too lost in his thoughts, he almost missed the person who’s walking towards his way, he lifted his head to look at the only living person aside for himself in the quiet cemetery.

 

The moment his eyes landed on the person, he almost forgot how to breathe.

 

He’s breathtaking.

 

Junhui found it inappropriate to find someone so beautiful in a place like the cemetery. The beautiful man looked so out of place with his bright pink hair. Junhui stood there like a pole, too enchanted to move and disturb the air of solemnity surrounding the man. It’s ironic how they are surrounded by death but the life that surged within Junhui made him feel more alive than ever because of the other man.

 

Without even trying.

 

Junhui continued to watch him, the man’s eyes are glued on the ground, watching his steps as to avoid tripping on something nonexistent. The man’s holding a bouquet of flowers that matches his hair color. Junhui racked his brain because the flowers looked eerily familiar to him, he wasn’t sure what it’s called but he knows that he’d seen it somewhere before. He let the subject go for the meantime as the other man closes the distance between them.

 

Finally, the eyes that Junhui wanted to see were revealed to him as the other man looks at him with mild surprise and curiosity. He gave a tiny smile towards Junhui’s direction as a greeting to a random stranger. Junhui’s heart raced just because of that tiny gesture. He smiled in return.

 

The man continued walking and soon he passed by Junhui, leaving a tiny waft of his vanilla scent in his direction. Junhui inhaled it together with the scent of dew on the grass. Will he ever get the chance to meet him again?

 

Hope I bump into him soon…

 


 

Well, looks like the luck is on Junhui’s side that day. He was sitting on the corner of his favorite café when he heard somebody walked in. He looked at the direction of the door for he was bored since the café is pretty empty aside from him and the workers.

 

It was the pink-haired man.

 

Junhui smiled in an instant but looks like the beautiful man didn’t notice him because he went straight to the counter to order. He immediately went to another corner of the shop without looking back. The pink-haired man settled in his seat and took out his phone to play with it, it appears that he’s not expecting anyone at all so Junhui braved himself and stood from his seat, carrying his drink with him, and walked towards the table of the beautiful stranger.

 

When he was standing at the side of the table, Junhui coughed a little to catch the pink-haired man’s attention. The man looked up from his phone, Junhui saw in his beautiful cat-eyes the light of recognition. He internally smiled, “May I?” gesturing towards the unoccupied seat, asking for the pink-haired man’s approval. Junhui had to wait for a few seconds because he saw the other man hesitate. Coming to a conclusion that Junhui looked harmless, the other meekly nodded, “ummm… sure,” Junhui smiled and thanked him.

 

“Don’t worry, I am not a bad guy,” Junhui started and he found it cute how the other reacted like he was a deer caught in the headlights. The other man started protesting, shaking his head and stuttering “n-no! I didn’t think so! I apologize if I came out rude!” But Junhui only chuckled, waving a hand to tell him it’s absolutely fine and that he took no offence. “I would hesitate too if I were in your place, I mean, I only saw you in the cemetery earlier and now here I come, approaching you like it’s normal.” The pink-haired man remained silent, “I am Wen Junhui, by the way, you may call me Jun. Nice to meet you…?” He extended his hand for a handshake.

 

“Josh—” he cut his own sentence, thinking twice if he should give his English name but he deemed it inappropriate especially it’s a foreign name so he changed it mid sentence, “Hong Jisoo. Please call me Jisoo. Nice to meet you too” while accepting the handshake.

 

“Now that’s settled, Jisoo, are you free next Friday?” Junhui didn’t beat around the bush.

 

“Ummm.. As far as I know, yes.” Jisoo looked mildly perplexed

 

“Great! Want to go out with me?” At this, Jisoo looked shocked

 

“But we only just…”

 

“Met? Yes. But I won’t lie to you Jisoo, I know for a fact that I like you the moment my eyes landed on you.”

 

Jisoo was speechless. Junhui’s being too… straightforward.

 

“But it’s okay if you don’t want to, I mean, we can take it slow.” Junhui added as an afterthought

 

“Ummm… it’s alright, I guess.” Jisoo slowly said, still trying to weigh his decision

 

Junhui beamed when he heard Jisoo’s response, and Jisoo thought that maybe, agreeing to Junhui’s proposal wasn’t a bad idea after all.

 

“By the way, here, you can call me if ever your mind changes. Let’s meet here next Friday, same time?” Junhui handed him a piece of clean tissue with his number written on it. Sometimes, bringing a ballpen anywhere can really be convenient, Junhui thought.

 

“I will.”

 


 

Turns out that it was the beginning of their beautiful relationship as friends which Junhui would be more than willing to turn into something more. As more days, hours, minute or even second spent with Jisoo, Junhui falls even more. Noticing everything that Jisoo has to offer.

 

Junhui felt genuine happiness again after the death of his best friend—brother, Minghao. He thought it would be a great day to visit him again, Junhui checked the calendar just in case he forgets if he has an appointment, to his surprise, it’s the 17th of the month. Looks like he wanted me to visit after all. He grabbed his jacket, keys, and a pack of cigarettes which he brought last time on his way out, he sent his first text to Jisoo for that day.

* * *

To: Jisoo

 

I’m going to visit a friend today. Have a lovely day :)

 

 

* * *

 

Only a few seconds passed before he heard his phone chime, “responsive as always,” he swiped the message notification to read Jisoo’s reply.

* * *

 

From: Jisoo

 

Same here. Have a blessed day, Jun! Take care ^^

 

* * *

 

Juhui sent a reply then smiled to himself, locking his phone before putting it inside his pocket. It’s time for him to go.

 


 

When Junhui arrived at the cemetery, he remembered the first day he went there. There were no other people around, just him and the dead. Junhui shrugged as he trudged his way towards Minghao’s grave.

 

Coming to a stop in front of his grave, Junhui pulled the pack of cigarettes from his jacket’s pocket and took one out before lighting it up. He took a long drag before puffing out the smoke into the air, coughing right after.

 

I really hate smoking.

 

He held the cigarette in his right hand, looking down at Minghao’s grave with a sad smile.

 

“What’s up bro?” Junhui paused, as if he’s actually having a conversation with Minghao “Ah, good. By the way, I came here because I wanted to tell you something…”

 

“I met someone,” Junhui’s smile turned into something more loving “I think you already know him since I met him here in the cemetery. You’re probably stalking me too, but anyways, he’s the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen. It was love at first sight I guess, don’t laugh at me Hao, I mean yes, it’s a bit funny that I found the one person I’m sure I’ll love till death in a cemetery. But Hao, I’m pretty sure you’d love him too!” Junhui’s smile fell when it occurred to him that Minghao wouldn’t want to talk about love, because in the first place, it was what killed him.

 

The cigarette continued to burn in Junhui’s fingers, but it was left ignored.

 

“I’m sorry Hao, maybe I’m being inconsiderate… But you do know that this is my first time, right?”

 

“Jun?”

 

Junhui felt suddenly cold. He would recognize that voice anytime and anywhere. He slowly turned to the person who spoke his name,

 

“Jisoo?”

 

Looks like it’s not only Junhui who’s shocked to see Jisoo right at that moment because Junhui saw the same question in Jisoo’s eyes as to why is he there. Junhui’s attention fell onto the bouquet of pink flowers that Jisoo’s holding

 

He’s visiting someone too today?

 

“What are you doing here? I though you’re going to visit a friend?” Jisoo asked when he was able to compose himself again

 

“I am.”

 

Jisoo wanted to confirm if his hypothesis is correct, he looked at the grave behind Junhui which he knows by heart to whom it belongs to…

 

“Minghao?”

 

Junhui felt his mouth went dry, more questions filling his mind and facts started to flood his mind. Those pink flowers…

 

“What are those flowers called?”

 

Jisoo looked at the bouquet he’s holding “pink camellias.”

 

Junhui felt dizzy. Pink camellias… Minghao. He finally remembered those flowers.

 

“May I ask for whom?” Junhui wanted to make sure

 

“To your friend… Our friend, I guess.” Jisoo found the situation weird

 

“What a coincidence…” Junhui trailed off

 

“There’s no such thing as coincidence in this world, just inevitability.” Jisoo recited

 

The blonde man looked at him with interest “inevitability…”

 

Death is inevitable.

 

“But Jisoo… You do know that pink camellias are…”

 

“The flowers that accompanied Minghao during his suffering? I know.”

 

“Why are you giving those to him?” Junhui felt a bit mad, is Jisoo purposely being insensitive? Jisoo caught the underlying meaning of Junhui’s question

 

“I’m sorry Jun, please don’t get mad and let me explain” Jisoo tried to calm the other man down which is a pretty easy thing to do because he means a lot to Junhui

 

“It’s Minghao’s last wish. He asked me to bring him these flowers to him once he’s… gone. I’m confused as well because why would he want me to bring the same flowers which killed him? But he only said that he wants to be reminded of his love for the person whom he loved until death.”

 

Junhui wanted to punch Minghao in the face if only it was possible. What a masochist.

 

“Do you know who’s the person he’s referring to?” Jisoo suddenly asked, up to this day, it remained a mystery to all of them.

 

Junhui looked at him, “no, he never said his name,” Jisoo nodded, looking morose. “May I?” Jisoo gestured towards Minghao’s grave, Junhui moved away, allowing Jisoo enough space for him to give his flowers.

 

Junhui watched Jisoo silently who’s crouched before his best friend’s grave. Looks like I don’t need to introduce him to you, eh? You know, he’s really kind, caring, cute, he loves watching anime, likes to spend his time in that café downtown and… Junhui halted his thoughts. These things, wait… Could it be?

 

That’s when bits and pieces started falling right into place for Junhui.

 

“It’s you.” Junhui muttered mostly to himself, eyes wide in shock, but Jisoo heard it clearly because of the silence surrounding them

 

“Hmmm?” Jisoo stared into his eyes, asking what he meant by that.

 

“Nothing. Nevermind.”

 

When Jisoo focused his attention back to Minghao, Junhui smiled in a funny way

 

It’s him, right? Directing it to Minghao when a sudden gust of wind came, which only confirmed Junhui’s conclusion

 

The way you described that person, it could only be Jisoo. Pink camellias? Really? It reminds you of him.

 

Junhui wanted to cry because what will happen now? He fell in love with the person who caused Minghao’s death. But looking at Jisoo, he can’t really blame him. Minghao was the one who decided not to confess after all, and Junhui knew that fact since he’s the one who’s pushing Minghao to do it which the younger didn’t follow.

 

Looking at Jisoo now, he knew that it would’ve not ended this way if Minghao only decided to confess.

 

I think he loved you, Hao.

 

“I didn’t know you smoke, Jun.” Jisoo suddenly said, looking at him with accusing eyes

 

“I don’t.”

 

Jisoo raised an eyebrow, pointing at the cigarette in Junhui’s hand

 

“I don’t, but Minghao does” Junhui knows he’s there “I do it for him.”

 

“Right, if you say so…” Jisoo teasingly said

 

“You don’t believe me?” A smile slowly crept on Junhui’s face, already used to Jisoo’s teasing

 

“If that’s what you think” He laughed, already running away because he knows Junhui’s knack for hugging and tickling just to get him to agree

 

“Yah! Come back here Jisoo!” Junhui shouted. He was about to run after him when he remembered something he needed to say

 

“Hao, I am sorry if I fell in love with him. I didn’t know that it was him. I hope it’s alright with you though, I promise to take care of him. I will always love and cherish him until there’s no more room for sadness. I’ll make him happy.”

 

“By the way, now I know why you fell in love with him and chose this fate of yours. I understand now.”

 

Loving someone so much that it would be death itself if he doesn’t love you back.

 

“But you made a mistake…” Junhui bitterly smiled for his best friend’s tragedy “you were too afraid to take the risk. Where did my brave HaoHao go?” A tear fell which Junhui immediately wiped “I am willing to take the risk. I will make everything right.”  

 

He threw the cigarette he’s been holding onto the ground. Extinguishing its life or should we say, death? The flame which slowly eats the life out of it.

 

He turned his back and followed his future; moving forward with one last glance to the past.

 

“See you next time.”

 


 

- F I N -

 


 

A/N: Pink camellia symbolizes “longing” and it’s actually used for funerals too. Imagine during Minghao’s funeral in this fic, there were pink camellias everywhere which only heightened the pain of his lost.

 

Well, Jun and Jisoo’s getting there by the way. They’re in that stage wherein they like each other already but it’s not yet official.

And I’m sorry to Minghao’s fans… This is JunShuaHao by the way 😅

 

Any thoughts? 😂

layout by dream_keeper88 | pattern by BOSO