Confessions and Fireflies

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the incident at Baekhyun’s apartment, he spent another two days without hearing a word from Chanyeol’s end. Baekhyun was beginning to lose hope, thinking that Chanyeol was pulling yet another disappearing act on him, when he received an unexpected text message during one of his busy weekend shifts.

 

Hey Baekhyun, I’m coming to pick you up after work. Meet me at the parking lot.

 

Baekhyun could barely believe his eyes, and he tried his hardest to conceal a huge, relieved smile. Perhaps Chanyeol was finally ready to open up and explain his strange behavior over the past week. Baekhyun had been grappling with his late night thoughts for the past two nights, his mind going crazy trying to figure out Chanyeol’s cryptic words.

 

“I don't want to lose you. I don't know what to do, Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun recalled Chanyeol’s pained expression and bitter words and felt a sorrowful twinge in his heart. Chanyeol had looked so torn and broken, he couldn’t help but wonder what exactly happened to Chanyeol in the period of his disappearance.

 

“But you have won, because I still love you. You can stab a thousand knives into my back and I'll still love you the same.”

 

Baekhyun had to admit that Chanyeol’s numerous ‘I love you’s had chipped away at Baekhyun’s defences bit by bit. He had tried his hardest not to fall in love with the taller male, but Park Chanyeol had skilfully and wilfully barged his way into Baekhyun’s heart and made a home for himself within. But dare he tell Chanyeol that he loved him back, when he had not been completely open to the taller male? And how could he be sure that Chanyeol truly loved him, when he did not know the real Baekhyun?

 

Baekhyun sighed heavily, feeling a wave of guilt wash over him. He tried his hardest to focus on his job for the rest of the evening while fighting an internal war within.

 

Perhaps Chanyeol deserved to know the truth.

 

--

 

Chanyeol picked Baekhyun up in a striking red Ferrari, with an equally striking grin on his face as he opened the car door for Baekhyun. Baekhyun’s heart was thumping furiously in his ribcage, unable to contain the excitement at seeing Chanyeol again. There was a different vibe about Chanyeol, but he could not seem to pinpoint what it was. Perhaps it was the heavy bags underneath his eyes, or the way his lips drooped ever so slightly when he was driving, but Baekhyun could tell that Chanyeol was not being his usual self, and that something was still bothering him.

“Are you okay, Chanyeol?”

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” Chanyeol replied a bit too quickly with a huge smile plastered across his face. Baekhyun decided not to comment on how forced it looked and instead placed a comforting hand on Chanyeol’s thigh.

Chanyeol looked down at Baekhyun’s hand and smiled tenderly. He grabbed his hand and brought it up to his lips. “I’ve missed you so much, Baekhyun,” he murmured.

Baekhyun felt heat pool in his cheeks at Chanyeol’s unexpected gesture. “I’ve missed you too,” he mumbled.

Chanyeol chuckled wordlessly, and Baekhyun wondered what was so funny about his reply. “I owe you many apologies, Baekhyun. I’m really sorry for what I did to you the other day.”

“It’s fine. I’m okay,” Baekhyun replied as he subconsciously rubbed his healing bruises. “But you owe me more than apologies. I want answers.”

“We’re here,” Chanyeol announced loudly instead of responding to Baekhyun. The car came to a halt at the base of a grassy hill, and Chanyeol turned off the engine. “C’mon, we’re taking a little walk,” he said warmly.

Baekhyun stepped out of the car, feeling confused. Why did Chanyeol bring him to this place? And where exactly were they? He looked around him, but his eyes were unable to pick out much. All he saw were trees and more trees, illuminated by the faint moonlight.

“Don’t be scared, I know this place very well. This place is like a secret hideout to me, I come here whenever I need some peace and quiet,” Chanyeol said, walking over towards Baekhyun to link their arms together. “Follow me, I want to show you something.”

Baekhyun allowed himself to be led by Chanyeol, who navigated the two of them up the hill with ease. It was dark, but Chanyeol seemed to know his way around expertly. Baekhyun was glad that he was wearing pair of sneakers with good ankle support, for the hill proved to be a rather challenging incline. Chanyeol held on to Baekhyun tightly, preventing him from tripping on any wet moss or broken branches that littered the path.

It took them a short 10-minute hike to reach a circular clearing, and Baekhyun’s eyes could not help but widen in amazement at the spectacular scene in front of him. Little pinpricks of bright light weaved in and out of the grass, dancing to a silent melody. The flittering lights resembled the twinkling stars in the night sky, except that they were in front of his eyes and not up in the night sky. Baekhyun gasped in awe and ran into the middle of the clearing, allowing himself to be surrounded by the beautiful lights.

Fireflies. The entire clearing was populated by fireflies.

Baekhyun felt like a character in an overly cheesy romance novel, but he could not help but to revel in the magical feeling. This was his first time seeing fireflies in real life, and they have already promptly replaced the butterfly as his favourite insect.

“Are you happy, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun turned around to look at Chanyeol, who had joined him in the middle of the clearing. “Yes! This is so beautiful, Chanyeol! How did you find this place?” he exclaimed, staring up at Chanyeol with a childlike glee.

Chanyeol took a step forward and enveloped Baekhyun in a tight embrace. Baekhyun was caught off guard, but gradually allowed himself to relax in Chanyeol’s arms. They stayed like that for a moment, neither of them saying a word, when Chanyeol broke the silence.

“I know you have many questions, and I know I promise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter