Playing Dress Up

The Suit and the Dress

Honestly, I imagine this whole story as a chibi animation. That might help you guys visualize too. ^-^


Tao and Kris became fast friends after meeting the first day of kindergarten. It was quite simple how they met actually.

 

Kindergarten (5 years old)

Tao was eating an ice cream, when suddenly his clumsy, chubby hands decided to drop it. Tao's eyes had immediately filled with tears and his vision became so blurred that he almost didn't see a hand holding out its own ice cream towards him. The young dark-haired boy looked up to see another boy offering him his ice cream with a big smile on his face. Tao used his offending hands to wipe the tears off his face and out of his eyes, so that he could see better. The other boy was slightly taller than him (which made Tao huff). He had strange yellow hair, the color of that sandy stuff that he played with when his mommy and daddy took him to that big watery place [he means the ocean], but the hair on his face [eyebrows; Kris is five years old, he doesn't have facial hair quite yet] was dark! Tao thought he was like a panda bear in that way, because panda bears had two colors in their hair just like this boy had two colors too. Only Tao remembered that pandas are black and white and this kid has black and yellow...kind of like a bumblebee now that he thought about it.

The yellow-haired boy cleared his throat, "Uhm it's going to melt sooooooo..."

"OH SWORRY!" Tao reached out and took hold of the offered ice cream, "Thanks a lot!" He began munching down the ice cream gleefully while the other boy just looked on at him in amusement. The dark-haired one looked up at the other, "Can I hwelp chu? Oh my gwosh! Did chu want some?"

"Haha nah you can have all of it," the boy said still smiling.

Tao decided that he liked him.

 

==========

 

First Grade (6 years old)

"KWWIIISSSS!!"

"Taoooooo!"

"You gonna come over to my hwouse after schwool?"

"Yeah! Of course, TaoTao!"

"Don't cwall me TaoTao, Ge!"

"Don't call me 'Ge', TaoTao!"

"But chu are older thwan me..."

"Only by some months!"

"I dun cware! So are chu coming or not?!"

"I already said I'm coming!"

"Oh rwight. See chu soon!" The black-haired boy turns away and goes back into his classroom. Kris smiles as he sees the cute little boy skipping away. 

 

At Tao's House...

"Hey, boys, would you like some milk and cookies?" asks Tao's mother.

"No, Mwommy!! Joose and chips!"

"Now, Tao honey, a growing boy needs milk. And you can have two cookies with it too. Juice has a lot of sugar in it. And chips are very bad for you. I'll get you two some milk and cookies," and Tao's mom dashes off to the kitchen.

"Ugh I wish my Mwommy was like your Mwommy. Kwis's mwommy gives me joose and chips."

"Haha only you though. Mom likes you; that's why she gives you juice and chips. She doesn't give me juice and chips," Kris mutters bitterly under his breath.

"Awh Kwis's mwommy likes me?! I like Kwis's mwommy too!!" Tao grins happily.

"Just my mommy? What about me?" Kris teases.

"Oh I like Kwissy too! I like Kwis a lot! A lot a lot!! Kwis is nice to me. And Kwis gives me ice cweam."

"Well, TaoTao, 'Kwissy' really likes Tao too."

"Rweally?!" Tao blushes a little.

Kris chuckles at the other boy's cuteness, "Yeah."

 

==========

 

Second Grade (7 years old)

At Kris's house...

"Hey, Tao. Wanna go up to the attic?"

"But I'm not done with my tea party!" Tao says while sipping "tea" from his cup. Frankly he was thankful that his lisp was finally gone, but to be honest...Kris kind of missed it. 

"Aren't you tired of drinking...well nothing?"

"Shhh! Tea! We're having tea!" Tao fumes.

"Ok, ok. But don't you want to play another game?"

"Another game! What game?" Kris knows he has Tao now.

"There's a bunch of old costumes in the attic. We could go up there and try something on..."

"COSTUMES?! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?! DRESS UP! DRESS UP!" Tao leaps to his feet and starts running out into the hall; making a mess of the tea set they had spread out on the floor earlier. Kris laughs at Tao's cuteness, but then sighs at the mess he's going to have to clean up later. Oh well. At least he'll be able to get away from playing tea party.

"TaoTao, wait up!" Kris shouts as he hears the clunk of Tao letting the ladder to the attic down. Kris runs up and grabs Tao around the waist so that the boy doesn't fall. 

"Thanks, Krissy!" Tao sends a wink at Kris behind his shoulder. Kris grins up at him. The boy helps his friend get up the steps and into the attic. "Wahhhhh! It's dusty in here," Tao coughs.

"Ah, sorry, TaoTao. We haven't cleaned here in a while. Here, use this." Kris grabs a stray scarf laying around and walks up close to the other; wrapping the fabric around his head, careful to cover Tao's mouth and nose. The younger blushes a little at the closeness. Kris grins at the other and ruffles his hair, "There you go! That should help you breathe better."

Tao's voice comes out in a muffled way through the makeshift mask, "But what about you, Krissy?"

"Hmm..." Kris thinks to himself, "Ah!" He begins to take his shirt off to bunch the fabric against his mouth and nose, but the black-haired boy quickly turned around, "Oh my gosh, no, Kwisssss! Use something else!"

Kris smiles because Tao's lisp is back.

 

==========

 

Third Grade (8 years old)

"Tao! Tao, wait up!" Kris rushes after the other boy who is furiously walking away to his own house. "Tao, stop!"

The other stops in his track and waits for the other to catch up to him. Kris runs up to him and pants out, "W-what's wrong with you? Why are you mad at me?"

Because it's true. Ever since their second class today, Tao had been ignoring Kris and giving him the silent treatment. He wouldn't talk to him. He wouldn't even look at him; just as he's doing now.

Tao still hadn't turned around toward him, so Kris walked around to face him, "Look at me, please," but Tao still kept his head down. Kris bends his head down to look at his friend's face, but he freezes when he sees that Tao has been crying. The yellow-haired boy grabs the other boy's wrist and drags him off to their secret special place (which is just a bunch of big bushes behind their houses casually arranged in a circle). The two crawl on the ground through the leaves and come out into the middle of the bushes. Kris sits the both of them down and puts his hands on the other's small shoulders, "Ok, now will you tell me what's wrong? Why are you crying, TaoTao?"

"Don't call me that, Kris!"

The other sighs, "Finally, you're talking to me!"

Tao gasps and mentally slaps himself, because he fell for Kris's trick.

"Come on, Tao. You haven't been talking to me since second period when we got assigned partners for that project- Wait a second. Is that what you're mad about? Because we're not partners for the project? But that's not my fault! The teacher assigned our partners, you know that!"

Tao rubs his head in exasperation before jumping up and pacing back and forth, "That's not what I'm mad about!" he growls out.

"Then tell me, Tao! I can't read your mind!"

"It's because- because-"

"Because what, Tao?!"

"Because Xi Ya is your partner!" the frustrated boy lets out.

"...Huh? Yeah, so what?"

"Sooooo you guys are going to spend time together and then she's going to want to be your friend and you're going to want to be her friend and you'll be spending so much time together that you'll forget about me and I'm just stuck with stupid smarty pants Kyungsoo and- and-!"

"Hey, hey! Calm down!" Kris gets up, walks over to the boy, and crushes him into a hug, "Shhh. It's ok, TaoTao."

He hears a muffled, "No, it's not."

Kris chuckles, "You're cute, TaoTao."

"I AM NOT!!"

"Yes, you are. Why would I want to be friends with Lin Xi Ya, when you're my best friend? She's a stupid girl and it's just one stupid project."

Tao gasps, "Kris, that's a bad word!"

"What, 'stupid'?"

The younger nods feverishly.

"Oh my gosh, Tao. Your head is going to pop off if you keep doing that!"

The boy abruptly stops.

Cute, Kris thinks to himself. "If 'stupid' is a bad word, then you're a bad person, because you said it too. 'Stupid smarty pants Kyungsoo', wasn't it?"

The other splutters, "I- I- Well, I- But, I-! I was angry! And I just had to get it out-!"

Kris plants a quick peck on the other boy's forehead, "Cutie," and he leaves a red-faced frozen boy in the bushes.

 

==========

 

"Tao! Stop running away from me! I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I don't like it as much as you do!"

 

[Flashback]

"Hi, Krissy. Whatcha doing?"

"Oh, hi, Xi Ya. Nothing. Tao and I are practicing the cursive that Teacher taught us today. He went to get us some pencils."

"Oh, may I join you guys?"

Kris mentally gagged. Ugh she's so sickly sweet. "Uhm aren't you playing with Lan Ying?"

"Oh right. Well I can't wait to play with you later at your house, Krissy!"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever."

The two turned when they heard a loud crashing sound.

The sound of a box of colored pencils hitting the floor.

[End Flashback]

 

"Tao, please listen to me. It's not like I'm happy about Xi Ya coming over to my house. My mom talked to her mom and invited her! I can't do anything about it!"

"But we were supposed to hang out today and make airplanes!"

"I know! And I really wanted to, but I- I can't today. I'm sorry, TaoTao. But did you really have to sit by Yoda Yeol at lunch today?"

"Maybe he's my new best friend! I like him more than I like you!"

"You shared your Nutter Butters with him! You always share them with me!!"

"Too bad! I mean she even called you, 'Krissy', which is MY nickname for you!"

"Do you think that I liked her calling me that? I just let you call me 'Krissy'!"

"Ugh just leave me alone, Kris!" And the fuming boy slams the front door in his former friend's face.

 

==========

 

"Tao, honey!"

Tao ignores his mom.

"Tao!"

"..."

"Huang Zitao, you get down here right now!"

The young boy huffs and pauses his video game. He opens his door and pokes his head out, "WHAT, MOM?" he yells at the top of his lungs.

"Get down here and move this box. It's blocking the front door! It's for you, Tao!"

Hmm...a box for me?

The boy clambers down the stairs and opens the front door to find a plain, small brown cardboard box with 'For Tao' written in big, black block letters on the top. Tao picks up the box and is surprised that the package is so light; he takes it up to his room.

He opens the box to discover a folded note saying 'I'm sorry' and a single yellow rose.

Tao brings the rose to his nose and inhales its sweet scent.

Roses. His favorite.

The boy smiles; he knows who the box is from.

 

==========

 

The next day at Kris's house...

"So you forgive me?"

Tao rolls his eyes, "Yes, Kris, I forgive you. Where'd you get a rose anyways?"

"Well, I knew they were your favorite, so I picked one from my mom's garden! See?" The slightly taller of the two holds up his hands to show that he had been pricked and scratched up by the thorns in more than one place.

Tao gasps and takes Kris' hands in his planting kisses on all the red areas, "Stupid, stupid, Krissy," he says, "Someone's gonna get in trouble."

Kris grins; he's just glad that Tao is calling him 'Krissy' again. Everything is back to normal. "Just keep your mouth shut then."

"Just keep your mouth shut then," the other boy mimics throwing the stupid boy's hands back to him.

"Ahahaha not so cute, TaoTao."

"I don't need to be cute for you, Krissy."

"Yeah, but you're just overall cute."

"No, I'm not," the black-haired boy fumbles.

"Keep telling yourself that, my friend," Kris throws his arm around Tao's shoulders, "Soooo attic?"

Tao looks up at him with excitement, "Yeah!"

"Race you up there!" The two boys rush over to the ladder and clamber up it into the attic, which had been cleaned a bit since the last time they were up there. Since then, they found so many treasures. Some old athletic gear from Kris's dad's old college sports team. Old family jewels. The costumes they played dress up with from Kris's mom's theatre days. Kris's old baby clothes (he didn't like that, but Tao had some fun). Last time they had found an old trunk, but they have yet to open it, because Kris had said "Next time" and now it was time.

The two excitedly go over to the corner with the trunk and open it.

"..."

"..."

"Tissue paper?"

"Hold on that can't be it..."

"We waited for so long...and it's just tissue paper?"

"Hold on, Tao. I got this." Kris rummaged through the box, "Wait. Wait...I got something!"

"Oooh show show SHOW!"

"It's...soft?"

"Show me!"

"Ok, hold on. I'm taking it out."

"..."

"..."

"It's still tissue paper," Tao deadpans.

"Don't you want to unwrap it like a present?"

"Oooh present?! For me?!"

"Well not really, but ok."

Tao carefully pulls apart the separate layers of tissue to reveal what's inside, "Clothes?"

"Oh not just clothes. My parent's wore these on their wedding day!"

"Oh really?! Kris's daddy wore this suit and Kris's mommy wore this dress?"

"Mmm yeah."

"Wow, pretty," Tao gazes upon the beautiful, long white dress. Layers of chiffon from the bodice down. Lines of pearls in the embroidery. The lace material is still so soft to the touch. He bets that it would feel like soft clouds caressing his skin if he were to put it on...

"Wanna try it on?"

Tao snatches his hands back, "H-huh?! No, of course not! It's Kris's mommy's dress. How could I wear it?!"

"Ok, hold on, let me just ask."

"Wait, Kris-!" The other boy was already rushing away to ask his mom.

Tao turns to Kris's dad's suit. It's a classic, traditional black suit. Little buttons are on the side adorning the sleeves and besides that it's quite plain in comparison, but the satin material feels expensive; Tao thinks to himself. Lost in a land of expensive suits and long, white dresses, Tao doesn't even notice when Kris comes back into the attic. The boy sneaks up behind Tao where he's sitting on the floor and leans next to his face, "Mom says we can try them on."

"Oh gosh, Krissy! You scared me!"

Kris is practically rolling on the floor laughing, "Your face is so great right now."

"Huh, you think you're so funny, don't you?"

"Yup. I'm the funny one and you're the cute one."

"I am NOT cute!!"

"Oh but you are," Kris shows his signature grin. "Anyways mom says that we can try them on."

"But Krisssss," the other boy whines, "I don't think we should. This was your mommy and daddy's really special day. And they wore REALLY special clothes."

"I know Tao, but I'm pretty sure you're actually dying to try them on."

The black-haired boy looks longingly at the beautiful suit and dress combo. It's tempting, but...

"A-Are you sure?"

"Positive, TaoTao. Mom said it was fine. In fact, she said that she'd like it because then people will be using them again. So you put on the dress."

"Whoa, wait a minute. Why do I have to wear the dress? Why can't I try on the suit?"

"Because I want to try on the suit and I think you actually like the dress more than the suit," Kris wriggles his eyebrows.

"Well, it is really pretty..."

"Mmmhmm."

"Yeah, ok, but just this once."

 

==========

 

But it had been more than just once. After trying it on the first time, Tao wanted to play dress up every time he went to Kris's house.

"Here comes the bride...that's you!"

"That's me!"

"All dressed in white..." Tao touches the white lace front of the dress. So soft.

"Hey where did you hear that song?"

"I don't know. I saw it in a movie my parents were watching last night."

"Oh ok. What comes next?"

"Uhhh I'm not sure; I fell asleep," Kris says sheepishly.

"Oh my gosh Krissy, you're useless," Tao laughs.

"Hey! You would've fallen asleep too! The movie was so boring!"

"Maybe. Well let's make up the rest then. Uhm...here comes the groom...coming for his...DOOM," the black-haired boy laughs at his own joke.

"Oh my god TaoTao, that's the worst," but Kris couldn't help grinning himself.

 

==========

 

"Tao, give me the suit."

"No fair, you always get to wear the suit!"

"I'm older-"

"I thought you didn't want me to call you 'Ge'!"

"I don't! But I'm older. And besides, you look cute in the dress."

"Really?"

"Mmmhmm, it looks good on you."

"But- but boys don't wear dresses..."

"So what? Girls wear dresses, so boys can wear dresses too! You can wear a dress anytime you want."

"Why don't you wear the dress then?"

"Uh..."

"Yes, Krissy?"

"I don't think I can pull off a dress like you can," the blonde anxiously waits and hopes Tao doesn't get mad at him.

"Mmm you're right." Kris inwardly sighs in relief. "Besides...youlookhandsomeinthesuit..."

"Huh? I didn't hear you, TaoTao," the taller mocks the other.

"I SAID youlookhandsomeinthesuit..."

"WHAT?"

"Jeez Kris you look good in the suit!" the red-faced boy shouts out.

"Well thank you, my blushing bride."

 

==========

 

"Well...you finally get to wear the suit," a thirty-two year old blonde-haired man whispers into his new spouse's ear.

"Shut up, Krissy," a new bride grins up at his groom.

 

The End

 


 

Hi guys. ^-^

Hope you enjoyed this short TaoRis fluff.

Threw in that last bit at the end of adult newlywed TaoRis. ;D

I'd like to say that technically the story is finished now...

...BUT I have an idea to add an additional chapter with short moments like this throughout their life together.

Ehehehe~ interested? *smirk* Or should I leave it here?

Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below, my lovelies. <3

See you in the next one!