Chapter 1: Umma's Graduation

Broken Angel: A Hidden Secret [Temporary Hiatus]

A/N: Annyeong !! ^^ I changed this Chapter a bit so feel free to re-read this chapter again if you want to ^^

I made it shorter if you've noticed :P

Some Korean words I will use: Kamsahamnida = Thank you ||Gwaenchana = That's Ok || Eotteohke = What to do? || OMO = Oh my || Neh = Yes || Aniyo = No || Saranghae = I love you || Mianhe = Sorry || Aigoo = a sigh, e.g. "Oh my, Gosh, Aww" etc. 

P.S: This is your umma's life before she had you ~


Chapter One

She was just a shrimp to be strong enough to stand up for herself being surrounded by menacing creatures, or what she's used to call them. She still lacked of experience considering the fact that she's been bullied since primary school. Others didn’t like her- she was a nerd. She'd always spend her time in the library reading fiction and non-fiction books. She practically didn’t care what genre or type she got, whether it was a thin picture book to something as thick as the school's encyclopedia.

Reading was a childhood hobby and still was for the girl. Despite her intelligence, she never knew how to stand up for herself. That was probably the one reason why she kept getting pushed around by others.

The three gave her a glare, ordering the usual: to give them her lunch money. She nervously placed her right hand in her newly seamed pocket, her body shaking in fear. Her conscience battled whether to hand over the money or keep it for lunch that day, for she had nothing left in her bag for the next few hours.

She slowly took out the remaining notes, cautious of it's value, and extended her hand. In a distance, she could hear someone yelling.

"Don't do it Eunhee!"

Within a second, a beautiful figure of a black haired girl appeared, placing her hands on top of Eunhee's, and locking their fingers together. She turned to the three men in front of them and shot a piercing look that seemed to pull the pair of eyes out from their sockets.

"Go Away." Her words were firm and ordering, giving the three a frightening scare. Then, they took off.

The girl helped Eunhee to stand up, obviously still shaken about the incident earlier. Eunhee brushed off the dust from her clothes and whispered a small 'Thank You'.

"You're Welcome." The girl replied, adding a warm smile. "Do you want to hang out with me?"

 Eunhee kept silent, although she already knew the answer.  

"Yes, I really want to, but I don’t know how you would feel with me around." She thought to herself. She responded hesitantly with a nod after the mysterious girl's encouragement.

"Oh, my name's Cho Jinkyong by the way. I'm also a junior."

And with that, they walked together everyday, to and from school. Within her last two years of high school, Eunhee finally found a friend she could trust and rely on. The three bullies didn’t dare try to rob Eunhee of her money after the fated event, neither did they pick on her. Rather, they behaved like gentlemen, treating her with deep respect. Eventually, one of the men, Lee Sangkyu, started to fall for her.

Within her last few days of school before graduation, Sangkyu confessed his love for Eunhee, but the shy girl rejected. She didn’t believe in love. In order to go to Uni and achieve her dreams, she kept in mind that one must push aside the rest…

Eunhee took a sip from her glass of water, standing in the graduation hall. The majestically decorated curtains of the stage and beautifully designed walls, along with restaurant-inspired structures of tables and chairs lightened up the entire hall.

Searching frantically for Cho Jinkyong, a feeling of unsafeness wavered in and out as she was left alone. The head teacher of her senior year walked up at the neatly lined blocks of steps. She gracefully stood in front of the microphone set up by the backstage crew and began to ask for silence and attention.

It was time for the announcement.

"Lee Eunhee. Choi Minho. Kim Miyoung. Hwang Dae-Jung. Cho Jinkyong. Lee Sangkyu. Congratulations, you guys are the top 6 who will be receiving a scholarship to SEOUL University!" 

The crowd went wild; graduates cheered and cracked open wine bottles. She thought it resembled a win of a football match, observing the messy scene just created by the mad cheering crowd of graduates.

"Me, seriously? I did it!," Eunhee thought. Nothing else mattered. She was going to the best University in Korea. A warm hand managed to slide and interlocked with her numb fingers.  Eunhee jumped. It was Jinkyong. Relief spilled all over her body and her tensed shoulders relaxed.

"We did it Eunhee!" Jinkyong recited exactly what was on Eunhee's mind not long ago. A smile of success shone on her sensitive, enticing face.

"Yes, we did." She repeated. A sad thought loomed over the two however.

"That means we have to part…"

A sheet of silence blanketed the two, despite the racket of noise in the hall. The atmosphere tensed for a whole minute as if paying respect on a memorial ceremony. Time seemed to pause, liquid squirted out of their cups, and bottles suspended in mid-air. The dancing halted nobody moved even an inch. It was just like one of those moments on television when time stood still, then slowly resumed back into reality. Eunmi broke the electrifying noiselessness between them.

"You're going to enter Seoul National University of Technology and I'm going to enter Seoul National University of Art. We won't be able to see each other again!" Eunhee whispered out loud as she held back disobedient tears. Once again, another wave of silence covered the two.

"Mianhe Eunhee. Jeongmal mianhe…"  Unable to contain the sadness, both Eunmi and Jinkyong broke into tears that longed to fall. They sobbed, hugging each other tightly. After a while, the hug broke apart. 

 

Eunhee spoke up, wiping her tears franticly, "Hey Jinkyong, remember the day you saved me from my Lunch-Money-Thieves?" Jinkyong giggled at the sight of the event in her mind.

"And remember how scared they were? Especially Sangkyu! He was so frightened when I gave them that death stare!" Jinkyong remembered laughing finally.

The two walked off to enjoy the rest of the graduation. It went pretty well, and soon, they both forgot all the sad goodbyes going to come.

******

Lee Sangkyu, being the stubborn type, wanted to give it another shot. He straightened his suit and sprayed the little strawberry mouth freshener he brought along into his mouth.

"How do I look" He asked his friend Minwoo, obviously still smoothing out his sleek hair.

"Eh? Yeah, yeah. Good as always." Minwoo replied bluntly, annoyed at his stupid questions.

That was the answer he needed before making his sudden appearance before the girl of his dreams. Confidently approaching Eunhee, he whipped a sweat drop from his forehead.

"Why am I feeling nervous all of a sudden?" He thought.

In a distance, Eunhee stood in her elegant azure dress, designed with fine seams with sparkly little gems embedded on each floral design. He prayed for bravery, feeling distressed with each step he took. By now, he was only two steps away and had a surprised look fixed onto his face, pretending to coincidentally bump into her.

"Omo! Mianhe Eunhee-ah," he apologetically bowed.

"Sangkyu-ssi? Oh, Gwaenchanha!" Eunhee smiled warmly.

Fingers fidgeting endless times, toes twitching without control, Sangkyu hoped to continue the conversation, yet was unable to figure out what to say next. Instead of going around the bushes, he decided to go straight to the point. He Stuttered at first and tried to maintain his cool.

"Eunhee… May I take you to the dance floor for tonight? Will you be my first dance?" Finally spitting out the words he longed to spat out.

"Y-You would dance with me?" Eunhee asked, flabbergasted.

"Sure, why not?" He replied, satisfied with himself for the courage.

She accepted wholeheartedly, happy someone wanted her first dance.

"Goal!!! Striking up a conversation with a cute girl wasn't that hard after all!" Sangkyu thought smiling like a fool.

Gentle music played in the background, soothing every attendant. The hall was filled with colorful lighting, disco balls reflected circles of blue, green, silver and purple shades onto the smoothly tiled dance floor. Everyone looked astonishing in their exquisite formal dress and perfectly ironed suits. More announcements and well-spoken speeches were announced by the Student Council Representative.

Soon after, the graduation came to an end.

"I guess it's that time where we say our goodbyes now," Eunhee sighed.

Jinkyong remembered the scene earlier, feeling the vibes that its going to be repeated. Guests attending the graduation left the huge glamorous hall, all excitedly chatting away on what they will do tomorrow. Usually, when things like this occur, everyone would be excited about the freedom they will receive. Not for Eunhee and Jinkyong. They were worried for their friendship- whether or not they will ever meet up again in the future due to different pathways.

"One day, we will meet again," Jinkyong positively said. "It could be months, it could be years. But I know, we won't ever be separated because of our dreams. Our friendship is too strong for us to divide."

And with that, sharing final hugs, Eunhee and Jinkyong left, each drifting away into their own lives.

******


A/N: Sorry about this chapter! I hope you guys understood it ! Was it too confusing?

If you have opinions or comments on his, please do comment below! They are very appreciated :)

Also, don't forget to subscribe ! They make me happy ! ;)

Next chapter continues on Lee Eunhee's life, you are not born yet xD

Look forward to it neh ?? ^^

 

-Cindy-